Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I don't understand all the doom and gloom

Mel Kiper's Hair

22 minutes ago, The Fish said:

It's probably better to be humble, but I wouldn't be shocked if there was some kind of alternate universe where I did a better job assembling those teams than Grigson.. (Andre Johnson, Todd Herramanns, Trent Cole, we really won that FA..)

RIP Stephen Hawking..

I thought the A. Johnson signing was going to be a good one, it didn't work out that way.  But that's kind of what I am saying, no one knows for sure.  I want to go to the alternate universe where I am a better athlete than I was.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

No, the forum should not be closed.  It is not the negative or positive nature of a comment that I am talking about, it is the absolute, definitive statements that are made.  Like Jaric said, let it play out and then we as fans will have the information needed.  The part that I bolded is not what I was referring to, disappointment in some aspects of free agency is fine IMO.  I was disappointed that the Colts didn't get Norwell, but I do not know what their FA board looks like, what value they had on Norwell, etc.  Therefore, I am not about to write some post about how bad this decision was or how Ballard is in over his head, and so on.

I see the same "absolute" statement on both sides.    No big deal.   I don't see where anyone bet there house on a statement they made.   Many of the "optimistic" posters have said stuff like - If Luck is back we will be in playoff contention.   That is pretty "absolute".  

Currently the Colts who had plenty of holes already have lost starters, but not agreed to sign any.   That means that they are currently losing the free agency period.    They can easily get back on the positive side and I think Ballard has a plan to do just that.   I'm fearful as others are to, that this year is going to be a throw away and the team will focus more on the 2019 season.

3 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

No, the forum should not be closed.  It is not the negative or positive nature of a comment that I am talking about, it is the absolute, definitive statements that are made.  Like Jaric said, let it play out and then we as fans will have the information needed.  The part that I bolded is not what I was referring to, disappointment in some aspects of free agency is fine IMO.  I was disappointed that the Colts didn't get Norwell, but I do not know what their FA board looks like, what value they had on Norwell, etc.  Therefore, I am not about to write some post about how bad this decision was or how Ballard is in over his head, and so on.

What I don't understand is some seem to forget that every free agent that hits the market is either looked at or pursued by 30 other teams. Especially if they have the talent teams are looking for. Just because a player wasn't signed doesn't mean they weren't pursued.

Then they have the audacity to call Ballard stupid or not doing his job because he didn't get a deal done.

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I see the same "absolute" statement on both sides.    No big deal.   I don't see where anyone bet there house on a statement they made.   Many of the "optimistic" posters have said stuff like - If Luck is back we will be in playoff contention.   That is pretty "absolute".  

Currently the Colts who had plenty of holes already have lost starters, but not agreed to sign any.   That means that they are currently losing the free agency period.    They can easily get back on the positive side and I think Ballard has a plan to do just that.   I'm fearful as others are to, that this year is going to be a throw away and the team will focus more on the 2019 season.

I agree, I have seen those statements too and I don't know how they can make them.  There is no way they know for sure, I am optimistic Luck will return healthy, but I don't know.

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

Well the reality is that is exactly what happens when there is a complete overhaul of the coaching staff. That's what most wanted now they want to criticize the thing they were wanting in the first place.

2 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Ballard has watched Andrew Luck play football. He knows Andrew and how dedicated he is, but Ballard has never entered a game with Luck as his teams quarterback. He’s never relied on Andrew Luck to win.

Ballard is under the impression that this is a standard rebuild. With Luck, we’re in the running for the playoffs, rebuild or no rebuild. Get him the support he needs and the sky is the limit. Please do not give him 20 “Johnny Averages” spread out over 70M in FA as part of a rebuild. Pay for difference makers on O and D to support Luck.

A few elite players sprinkled in with a bunch of average Joe’s worked well for Peyton Manning. 

Just saying. :D 

I do agree that ideally we want to surround Luck with more than Peyton had. That should always be a goal. I think we should be selective in the process though. Jumping at every high priced free agent isn’t going to fix all of our problems. 

In the end, it won’t matter how much we pay. The results will be what we measure. 

I can think of a certain Colts corner from last year who did not get a big paycheck to join us. He is looking at a nice payday this offseason though. 

The most sought-after guard in free agency wasn’t even drafted. 

Talent is scattered everywhere. It’s more important to find the right fit than to fall head over heels for the player who is higher on consolidated free agent rankings list. 

This idea that only free agents that matter are the big name high dollar guys that go in the first couple days is adorable.  Free agency is a process that starts in a couple hours but doesn't end for quite some time.

To pretend as if you know what the team is going to look like before a single free agent has even signed a contract is absurd.

It's not like any of us are out there scouting.  Not real scouting anyway. You have no clue what the coaching staff is trying to accomplish or if these one or two guys you declare vital to our success are even good fits for the scheme and direction the coaches want to go in.  You don't know anything about if they'll fit in to the locker room or if they have any interest in becoming colts in the first place or any of the other dozens of factors that go in to this that you aren't even aware of because you're a fan, not an NFL personnel person.

Calm down.  Wait until some actual result come in and then make a judgement about the situation because frankly that's all we're really qualified to do.

Otherwise you're just spewing hot takes.  That's certainly your right as a fan to have strongly held uneducated opinions, but I'd recommend not doing that 

Unless you're interested in becoming a poor man's Skip Bayless.

2 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I) Okay, I'll bite. If the fans have the prerequisite knowledge please tell me what the Colts FA board states and what dollar figure they have on each targeted FA?

2) I don't play RPGs at all, so I will not offer an opinion because I do not have enough information on that topic.

3) Everyone can enter, it would be better if those that do and don't really know would refrain from making declarative statements about a topic.

4) Never said that.

1) Who cares? Most of that stuff is subjective anyway. Yeah, there are certain things that are static, but most of it is dynamic. If someone incorrectly uses a fact during a conversation with me, then I will correct the fact to what I believe the fact to be.

2) I bought an XBox a few years ago for Christmas and I rarely play it. I was playing this Fallout 4 game and it was very cool, but I just don’t have the time it takes to play those kind of games. I am not knocking people who do play them. I envy them and wish I had more time to do so.

3) What I think I know, and what you think you know.... most of it is subjective. We have laws in this land that people read and walk away with a different interpretation. With sports, it’s mostly subjective to begin with.

4 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Granted, I have only been a member of the forum since December so I only have 3 months to go on, but I am having trouble with understanding why there is so much negativity about the franchise. Since 2000 the Colts have only had 3 losing seasons! The way things sound here, the Colts haven't been competitive since the Truman administration. Sure I want the Colts to 16-0 every year,  then win the Super Bowl, and then sign every awesome free agent available. I also want to ride to work on a unicorn, only eat candy, and swim in a pool of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck. I think we need to be a little more realistic and a little more grateful for what we have. I'm sure I'm setting myself up to be blasted but I just felt like I needed to speak up for a franchise that has been VERY VERY good to us for the last couple of DECADES! Just remember it could be worse we could be Bengals, Browns, Bills, Lions or any number of teams fans who would gladly trade our current problems for our history.

Most have drank the CB cool aid. I have not. He failed last year starting with the draft and our QB situation at the start of the season. He targeted a new coach and couldn't close on the deal.  So far in free agency, he cant seem to close on any targeted players either. Other than that...hes done fine.

55 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you read a lot of these comments I shouldn't have to elaborate.

Besides, if I would elaborate I get accused of provoking because of the mindset of being offended.

And saying people have personality issues because they are questioning our approach to free agency isn’t offensive to some people?

Im just going to leave it alone because you are entitled to your own opinion but don’t think you should make it personal. 

5 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Most have drank the CB cool aid. I have not. He failed last year starting with the draft and our QB situation at the start of the season. He targeted a new coach and couldn't close on the deal.  So far in free agency, he cant seem to close on any targeted players either. Other than that...hes done fine.

I don't think it is fair to say after 1 season the Ballard has failed. I could understand someone saying that they didn't agree with his moves but it seems a little premature to call anything a failure just yet. Would we say Ryan Grigson was a successful GM because of his 1st draft? He won NFL Executive of the Year after his 1st season but we all know how things ended. It takes time to fairly evaluate the success or failure of a regime.

As far as McDaniels is concerned that's on Josh's lack of character and follow through than it is on Ballard's inability to close the deal. For his part of announcing the hiring before McDaniels actually signed on the dotted line He owned up to that. 

If thinking that Chris Ballard is right man for the job is drinking the kool aid then all I have to say is...Kool_Aid_Man_Oh_Yeah.gif?1495125039 

3 minutes ago, Jaric said:

This idea that (#1) only free agents that matter are the big name high dollar guys that go in the first couple days is adorable.  Free agency is a process that starts in a couple hours but doesn't end for quite some time.

(#2) To pretend as if you know what the team is going to look like before a single free agent has even signed a contract is absurd.

It's not like any of us are out there scouting.  Not real scouting anyway. (#3) You have no clue what the coaching staff is trying to accomplish or if these one or two guys you declare vital to our success are even good fits for the scheme and direction the coaches want to go in.  You don't know anything about if they'll fit in to the locker room or if they have any interest in becoming colts in the first place or any of the other dozens of factors that go in to this that you aren't even aware of because you're a fan, not an NFL personnel person.

Calm down.  Wait until some actual result come in and then make a judgement about the situation because frankly that's all we're really qualified to do.

Otherwise you're just spewing hot takes.  That's certainly your right as a fan to have strongly held uneducated opinions, but I'd recommend not doing that 

Unless you're interested in becoming a poor man's Skip Bayless.

#1) I don't think that anyone is advocating that the only free agents that matter are the big time high dollar guys. They do matter, (I don't think anyone could argue against having an Allen Robinson on the team), but they're not all that matter. Since they do matter, we've missed out on many opportunities, but most of us understand that there are mid-tier guys that can help this team too. We would prefer a blend of difference makers and mid-tier guys, not just mid-tier guys.

#2) We do know what the team looks like. We have a roster and we know who we have not re-signed. We also know that we will not be signing some of the Free Agents that have already agreed to deals with other teams. Do we know what the final roster looks like? No, not even Ballard knows that.

#3) You are right, we don't really know what the coaches are looking for, but we do know that every coach is looking for strong, sound, young, athletic O-lineman (Norwell). Every coach is looking for a receiver that can get open, make tough catches, and can take the top off of the defense (A. Robinson). Every coach is looking for a DB that can cover well man-to-man or zone, or a combination of both (T. Johnson, Butler). I think you get the point. There are plenty of guys that fit multiple schemes.

1.  Quite a few people have been saying because we didn't get one or two big names that we're going to suck and Ballard is terrible, DEATH!  PESTILENCE!  REPENT FOR THE END IS NEAR!  I'm suggesting they should stop.

2.  You have an incredibly incomplete picture of what the team looks like.  There's so many variables still up in the air that declaring you know the final outcome is more hot air than anything.  Again, free agency hasn't even started officially.  Let's at least wait till the draft to declare the season over and Ballard a *.

3.  I don't disagree.  I'm not even saying you shouldn't have an opinion about what the team should or shouldn't do.  (That is after all why we're here.)

What I am suggesting is when you do so, recognize your own limitations and put some humility on that hot take.

That's really all.

17 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

And saying people have personality issues because they are questioning our approach to free agency isn’t offensive to some people. 

Im just going to leave it alone because you are entitled to your own opinion but don’t think you should make it personal. 

Sorry but you missed the whole point of my comment.

It has zero to do with an approach to the draft.

Also, it just occurred to me after the Josh McDaniels fiasco, the colts might be a little hesitant to announce things before pen gets put to paper.

Not that we have someone ready to sign or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're a little tight lipped.

3 minutes ago, Jaric said:

1.  Quite a few people have been saying because we didn't get one or two big names that we're going to suck and Ballard is terrible, DEATH!  PESTILENCE!  REPENT FOR THE END IS NEAR!  I'm suggesting they should stop.

Who said that?    Got any examples?

I said that he has failed so far in this years FA.   The team has lost more than it has added and already had many holes to fill.   All that is true and accurate.  That could change and hopefully it does.  

32 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

1-Failed at the draft.

No, it is yet to be determined

2-Failed at the QB position

No he didn't. He had no control over Luck. He traded for Brissett but it was not his fault that Brissett was not prepared to be a starter and had no help from the team.

3-Couldn't close the deal on a coach

That was on McDaniels, not on Ballard

4-Can't seem to close a deal on targeted free agents.

You don't have a clue on who was targeted.

29 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

And saying people have personality issues because they are questioning our approach to free agency isn’t offensive to some people. 

1 minute ago, MightyLucks said:

I didn’t mention the draft but cool

OK, if you say so but take a look at your exact comment. It is what it is.

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

Who said that?    Got any examples?

I said that he has failed so far in this years FA.   The team has lost more than it has added and already had many holes to fill.   All that is true and accurate.  That could change and hopefully it does.  

Check the "overreaction" thread.  Quite a few examples of "well we're gonna suck because we didn't sign the guy I wanted."

Also, I'm curious how you can declare he's "failed" at free agency.  That seems to indicate a finality and a knowledge of the outcome I don't think any of us are in a position to know.  It sounds like (and correct me if I'm wrong) you had an idea of what the colts should do and because they didn't you're upset?  

Also, free agency hasn't officially even started yet.  Just because we didn't sign the guys you want doesn't mean we won't sign guys that will make the team better.  Which you alluded to, but then also seemed to declare the affair resolved.  He's failed.

By the way having lived through the Bill Polian era, he never did what I wanted him to and he was almost always proven right. 

So now, I actually get nervous when the team does do what I want them to.  That hasn't worked out the few times it's happened lol.

18 minutes ago, Jaric said:

Check the "overreaction" thread.  Quite a few examples of "well we're gonna suck because we didn't sign the guy I wanted."

Also, I'm curious how you can declare he's "failed" at free agency.  That seems to indicate a finality and a knowledge of the outcome I don't think any of us are in a position to know.  It sounds like (and correct me if I'm wrong) you had an idea of what the colts should do and because they didn't you're upset?  

You should read my post again.  You missed the "SO FAR".   It is accurate to say.   The team is currently worse than last years horrible team.   He can still fix it and I think he may do just that.   

Yes, I would be upset if the Colts go through FA and only sign 1 mediocre WR.   I'm not "upset" now, because there is plenty of time and players left.   I am a little disappointed because there were players I had hoped would be wearing the blue next year.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

You should read my post again.  You missed the "SO FAR".   It is accurate to say.   The team is currently worse than last years horrible team.   He can still fix it and I think he may do just that.   

Yes, I would be upset if the Colts go through FA and only sign 1 mediocre WR.   I'm not "upset" now, because there is plenty of time and players left.   I am a little disappointed because there were players I had hoped would be wearing the blue next year.  

This might be a semantics issue.  I tend to assume a certain amount of finality to a declaration of failure which you don't seem to be.  Either way no worries.  I get what you're saying.

6 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Lol...

This place hasn't been entertaining enough the last 24-48?

You must be hard to please :headspin:

I have done my best to be both part of the problem and the solution. What more do you want from me? I am juggling things here. It is complicated! :D 

[Tilts head to the left] "Mother, quit it! You're embarrassing me!"

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

1) Who cares? Most of that stuff is subjective anyway. Yeah, there are certain things that are static, but most of it is dynamic. If someone incorrectly uses a fact during a conversation with me, then I will correct the fact to what I believe the fact to be.

2) I bought an XBox a few years ago for Christmas and I rarely play it. I was playing this Fallout 4 game and it was very cool, but I just don’t have the time it takes to play those kind of games. I am not knocking people who do play them. I envy them and wish I had more time to do so.

3) What I think I know, and what you think you know.... most of it is subjective. We have laws in this land that people read and walk away with a different interpretation. With sports, it’s mostly subjective to begin with.

Who cares?  There is no way you or anyone else can make declarative statements about decisions that are being made without knowing what their board looks like and a lot of other information that went into making the board.  One cannot determine if they are making a sound decision without knowing the rationale for that decision.  Yet many on this board seem like they believe that they have some great insight into the collective thinking of the Colts front office.  Or maybe they believe that they're better qualified to make these decisions, I have not seen any evidence that they are.

15 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Who cares?  There is no way you or anyone else can make declarative statements about decisions that are being made without knowing what their board looks like and a lot of other information that went into making the board.  One cannot determine if they are making a sound decision without knowing the rationale for that decision.  Yet many on this board seem like they believe that they have some great insight into the collective thinking of the Colts front office.  Or maybe they believe that they're better qualified to make these decisions, I have not seen any evidence that they are.

You have just described several fans.

Are they supposed to not have any opinion or discuss anything? :D 

It really does not bother me. 

1 hour ago, Jaric said:

This might be a semantics issue.  I tend to assume a certain amount of finality to a declaration of failure which you don't seem to be.  Either way no worries.  I get what you're saying.

I've never been one to speak in absolutes.    However I will criticize things in the moment.   I think that is as fair as someone who praises a signing.  

Bottom line, we all want the team to be improved.   Hopefully we see it happen.

19 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Do you feal this way only about people who criticism?   What about those who praise?    Now we are back to shutting down the forum because any reaction cannot be proven 100% so it should not be posted.    Sounds boring to me.  

Currently:

It looks like the Titans and Jags have both improved.

The Colts have gotten worse.

That is just an up to the minute report.  This time tomorrow we may be saying the the Colts have improved.   Just cannot say that now.  

I understand the doom and gloom....unfortunately. It is in a persons personality. My criticism or appreciation will not affect the team, but it does have an effect on my fan neighbors. 

To quote Bilbo, “I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

53 minutes ago, Myles said:

Do you feal this way only about people who criticism?   What about those who praise?    Now we are back to shutting down the forum because any reaction cannot be proven 100% so it should not be posted.    Sounds boring to me.  

Currently:

It looks like the Titans and Jags have both improved.

The Colts have gotten worse.

That is just an up to the minute report.  This time tomorrow we may be saying the the Colts have improved.   Just cannot say that now.  

You do not have to know with 100% certainty, to make a statement, but the statement should not be absolute or definitive.  What about this concept do you not get?

For instance, you wrote, "The Colts have gotten worse."  How do you know that?  They have not played one game.  It looks like the Titans and Jags have both improved?  Maybe, maybe not.  A lot of people thought the Colts had improved after signing Gore, Johnson, et al, how did that work out?  If you get off on having a hot take, so be it.  I prefer to let things play out, and then making a decision on whether or not any team improved.