Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I don't understand all the doom and gloom

Mel Kiper's Hair

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The only way my comment could be taken as provocative is by those who wear those shoes.

I also have been around a while and I am fully aware of patterns in peoples attitudes.

People personalities do show themselves when they do let their emotions take control.

This is the NFL. It is a business that is suppose to entertain, not be possessed.

Way too statements are made that get too personal with the owner all the way down to the water boys. The NFL by design is suppose to have teams rise and fall. The sooner fans realize that the better off they are. Making outrageous comments is a sign of no self control.

Everyone has a different opinion and or a point of view. but too think a person has to be so absorbed to call people stupid or even worse takes the term "fan" to the point of "fanatic".

I think we agree on more than we disagree. 

That’s what fans do. If someone is a fanatic about the Colts, then shouldnt this be the place for them to talk about the Colts? Why should this be the place they’re ridiculed for doing so?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I disagree. The vast majority on this board do not lack knowledge. I think it’s wrong for us to get into this knowledge labeling game.  

I don’t play RPGs much, but what you’re proposing would be like us telling everyone they have to be a level 300 before they can post on this board without being belittled. And their prize is to be included in the group that constantly fights about the 5% we disagree on.

Why would we want to make a club that only few have the right to enter, and once they do then it’s a miserable experience?

How about we just include everyone (who can stay respectful) and just ignore or politely disagree with posts that we do not agree with. 

Keep in mind, just because people don’t agree with you, does not mean they lack knowledge.

Thanks for being the voice of reason on this FA period BlueShoe. I'm tired of people trying to force everyone to be positive right now. I will be when something good happens that is positive.

1 hour ago, Jaric said:

Well first off, there no "possible rebuild".  That ish is happening.  We are in fact in the middle of a rebuild. 

yeah, we essentially began a large rebuild last year.  we still dont have a core on either side of the ball, so it will probably last through next year at least and maybe longer if it doesnt go well

35 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

optimism comes from thinking we might actually be good

so far we have not made any move that make me think we will be this year

people called it doom and gloom last year, but then the team sucked.   turned out that was right 

Lol...

Colts haven't done anything?

Frank Reich?

New coaching staff?

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

1) I disagree. The vast majority on this board do not lack knowledge. I think it’s wrong for us to get into this knowledge labeling game.  

2) I don’t play RPGs much, but what you’re proposing would be like us telling everyone they have to be a level 300 before they can post on this board without being belittled. And their prize is to be included in the group that constantly fights about the 5% we disagree on.

3) Why would we want to make a club that only few have the right to enter, and once they do then it’s a miserable experience?

How about we just include everyone (who can stay respectful) and just ignore or politely disagree with posts that we do not agree with. 

4) Keep in mind, just because people don’t agree with you, does not mean they lack knowledge.

I) Okay, I'll bite. If the fans have the prerequisite knowledge please tell me what the Colts FA board states and what dollar figure they have on each targeted FA?

2) I don't play RPGs at all, so I will not offer an opinion because I do not have enough information on that topic.

3) Everyone can enter, it would be better if those that do and don't really know would refrain from making declarative statements about a topic.

4) Never said that.

2 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I can agree with you on your post that it is all about how people look at things. My goal was not to try and make people think like me. My goal was to simply show from my point of view that things are not as bad some people think. I'm sure that there are people here who contend that the franchise isn't as good as I think it is. Nothing wrong with either side as long as we remain respectful. I really enjoy coming here and reading other's views on the franchise I have loved since the Mayflower trucks rolled into town.

I want to do my part in making this a nice place for all Colts fans to come. I see a lot of ugliness on this board, and I have contributed to some of that ugliness. I want to think I have added more enjoyment than ugliness. Probably will depend on who answers the question. :D 

Fans are naturally going to have emotions all over the fan-spectrum. Who am I to tell someone how “they” should feel about something? It’s their experience. I have my own. My way of looking at things is right for me. 

Can't give out bad contracts on the first day of FA if you don't play. The flip side is that this team has obvious holes that aren't getting dealt with right now. We'll see. I understand the fan freak out, but free agency isn't the place to try to win a Super Bowl when you're coming off a 4-12 season.

Spending some of that cash makes sense to me, but if the fit isn't right, then standing pat is better than over paying. 

3 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I) Okay, I'll bite. If the fans have the prerequisite knowledge please tell me what the Colts FA board states and what dollar figure they have on each targeted FA?

2) I don't play RPGs at all, so I will not offer an opinion because I do not have enough information on that topic.

3) Everyone can enter, it would be better if those that do and don't really know would refrain from making declarative statements about a topic.

4) Never said that.

1.) I doubt you know that either. Whatever it was, it didn't work because we missed out on all of Ballard's early targets.

2.) Pretty irrelevent, will avoid

3.) Then quit scolding people when people are highly emotional right now and let them vent. Not everyone is going to take what is happening right now the same way you do.

4.) You have said people lack knowledge on here, you have also said you think you are a smart fan. So if people don't agree with you and you are a smart fan, then apparently they lack knowledge. A+B=C sort of thing.

36 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It hasn't...  Per the NFL's own release...

Top 51 begins. All clubs must be under the 2018 salary cap prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time. Unrestricted Free Agency Period Begins at 4:00 pm, New York time. Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2017 player contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 14. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 14.

Cool Story bro! Not about to argue semantics 

1 minute ago, Buck Showalter said:

As is the case with every FA. New teams & new circumstances can change anyone's performance...

there is an important difference between players and coaches

with free agent or even rookie players we can look at the tape.  its really hard for fans to tell if a rookie coach will be any good or not.

im not pessimistic about him either, i dont have the information to say one way or the other.  i do know he needs better players 

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Can't give out bad contracts on the first day of FA if you don't play. The flip side is that this team has obvious holes that aren't getting dealt with right now. We'll see. I understand the fan freak out, but free agency isn't the place to try to win a Super Bowl when you're coming off a 4-12 season.

Spending some of that cash makes sense to me, but if the fit isn't right, then standing pat is better than over paying. 

In our situation, Ballard should be trying to figure out which top FA is a hit and won't be a bad contract. You have to take a risk at some point and fill a big need or two here. We have over $70 million in salary cap space, this is inexcusable at this point, so overpaying isn't a big deal as everybody does it in FA. We can get BPA in the draft, but we need to fill some needs in FA now.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

1.) I doubt you know that either. Whatever it was, it didn't work because we missed out on all of Ballard's early targets.

2.) Pretty irrelevent, will avoid

3.) Then quit scolding people when people are highly emotional right now and let them vent. Not everyone is going to take what is happening right now the same way you do.

4.) You have said people lack knowledge on here, you have also said you think you are a smart fan. So if people don't agree with you and you are a smart fan, then apparently they lack knowledge. A+B=C sort of thing.

1- I never said I did and I doubt you know if it worked or didn't.

2- I agree.

3- I haven't scolded anyone.  If people are "highly emotional right now", about this, well that is something I would not understand.

4- I said people on here lack sufficient knowledge to make definitive statements about player personnel moves by the Colts. The rest is inaccurate. 

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

with free agent or even rookie players we can look at the tape.  its really hard for fans to tell if a rookie coach will be any good or not.

im not pessimistic about him either, i dont have the information to say one way or the other.  i do know he needs better players 

Some feel better schemes & coaching will best utilize some of the talent already on the team.

In not saying don't get the best players you can, but I'm just not pounding the table or getting my pitch fork...

2 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

1- I never said I did and I doubt you know if it worked or didn't.

2- I agree.

3- I haven't scolded anyone.  If people are "highly emotional right now", about this, well that is something I would not understand.

4- I said people on here lack sufficient knowledge to make definitive statements about player personnel moves by the Colts. The rest is inaccurate. 

So you don't think you are smart? Because if you do, then 4 is right on what i said and you don't even realize you mean that.

Ballard has watched Andrew Luck play football. He knows Andrew and how dedicated he is, but Ballard has never entered a game with Luck as his teams quarterback. He’s never relied on Andrew Luck to win.

Ballard is under the impression that this is a standard rebuild. With Luck, we’re in the running for the playoffs, rebuild or no rebuild. Get him the support he needs and the sky is the limit. Please do not give him 20 “Johnny Averages” spread out over 70M in FA as part of a rebuild. Pay for difference makers on O and D to support Luck.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So you don't think you are smart? Because if you do, then 4 is right on what i said and you don't even realize you mean that.

I didn't say that either.  Maybe you should re-read the posts, you seem to be missing a few things.

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Well the questions you are bringing up is exactly what I was talking about last season after Pagano was fired. If anyone thinks a full coaching change is all of a sudden fix the problems we had is delusional. We don't even have a clue if the coaches hired are any good. We do have a lot of coaches who have a lot of years so all we can do is wait and see.

Everyone has to show patience and not get too drawn into over looking the big picture.

What we are going through now is what most wanted so till we have the answers whining and crying about it is just putting yourself through self imposed grief.

Everyone just needs to CHILL. :hat:

1 minute ago, Cynjin said:

I didn't say that either.  Maybe you should re-read the posts, you seem to be missing a few things.

Then you think you are smart and you think other people lack knowledge. So if you are smart, then you don't lack that knowledge others do according to you. So therefore if people disagree with you (who is smart) they lack knowledge. A+B=C and that's the way you think.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Then you think you are smart and you think other people lack knowledge. So if you are smart, then you don't lack that knowledge others do according to you. So therefore if people disagree with you (who is smart) they lack knowledge. A+B=C and that's the way you think.

That is some real pretzel logic right there. Also, it distorts what I actually did write.

1 minute ago, Cynjin said:

That is some real pretzel logic right there.

Maybe, but it's one of those things where my mom has said to me in the past "I don't believe you" on something. I then say "do you think I'm lying?" She says, "I never said that". Well, you basically did, just admit what you really mean. So just admit what you really mean Cynjin.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Maybe, but it's one of those things where my mom has said to me in the past "I don't believe you" on something. I then say "do you think I'm lying?" She says, "I never said that". Well, you basically did, just admit what you really mean. So just admit what you really mean Cynjin.

I meant exactly what I wrote, no more, no less.

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

Why would I be optimistic about people who for the most part are no longer with the team? 

The pessimistic fans may have been correct more often than not lately, but that is due to pure chance rather than any real knowledge of what is going on with the Colts.

Bull.  You may be a fan without knowledge, but that doesn't mean we all are like you.

I bet that if the Colts don't address the O-line, that it will give up a bunch of sacks next season.   Would I just be "lucky" if that happens?   

13 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

That is some real pretzel logic right there. Also, it distorts what I actually did write.

It just puts together the pieces on everything you said and admitted. All I can say is lay off everyone right now. We were looking forward to a fun FA period and it's been a nightmare so far. Don't need the people on this forum turning on each other.

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

I am not belittling anyone, the fact is that the vast majority of fans do not have the knowledge base to make definitive statements on player personnel moves.

Ryan Grigson was a terrible GM.  I'd consider myself a relative knowledgeable football fan

Ryan Grigson knows infinitely more about team building than I do and he was bad at it.

I tend to wait for results and judge those because on this subject I don't even know enough to know what I don't know.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Actually there are NO 25-26 year old Quality FA left as of 9:45 a.m.
 We CAN add some older, short term patch players to improve a few positions compared to last season. Yippee!
 Free Agency IS OVER... Already  for adding Quality young players to build our next contender.

It really is THAT SIMPLE.   Enjoy your pipeweed.

I agree with your thought.  I'm starting to think Ballard is in over his head.  Between not being straight on Luck's health and delaying free agent picking,  he better have a darn good good draft to prove his worth.

3 minutes ago, Jaric said:

Ryan Grigson was a terrible GM.  I'd consider myself a relative knowledgeable football fan

Ryan Grigson knows infinitely more about team building than I do and he was bad at it.

I tend to wait for results and judge those because on this subject I don't even know enough to know what I don't know.

I agree with you, especially the last sentence, not just for you but for everyone on this board.

1 minute ago, P'Son said:

I agree with your thought.  I'm starting to think Ballard is in over his head.  Between not being straight on Luck's health and delaying free agent picking,  he better have a darn good good draft to prove his worth.

You can even add to that that he couldn't figure out McDaniels true intentions, which makes him a bad judge of character and that can be concerning for players he drafts as well if Mcdaniels can trick him.

7 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I agree with you, especially the last sentence, not just for you but for everyone on this board.

It's probably better to be humble, but I wouldn't be shocked if there was some kind of alternate universe where I did a better job assembling those teams than Grigson.. (Andre Johnson, Todd Herramanns, Trent Cole, we really won that FA..)

RIP Stephen Hawking..

35 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

4- I said people on here lack sufficient knowledge to make definitive statements about player personnel moves by the Colts.

So the forum should be closed?    No positive or negative comments allowed because we are not at the table with the Colts execs?

I have no issues with fans expressing their pleasure or displeasure with Colts transactions.   It's OK to disagree as well.  

Personally, I am disappointed that the Colts did not get Lewis or Hyde.   Getting a proven RB to go with Mack would have saved us from using a draft pick on one.   I am also disappointed that we haven't made any improvements to the teams biggest need, the O-line.  I'm fearful that the Colts will consider this season a throw away and save the money for next year.  

I really liked what Ballard did last year.   I thought the signing of cheap young talent was great.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you notice the "doom and gloom" crowd are the same crowd that whine and cry over just about anything and everything. IMO it's a personality flaw that carries over from their everyday life.

So if someone has an opinion that differs from yours they have a personality flaw? The irony. 

1 hour ago, Buck Showalter said:

Lol...

Colts haven't done anything?

Frank Reich?

New coaching staff?

Lots of "fans" fail to see this. They just want their guy signed. I think CB fills some spots this year and gives the new staff a year to get acquainted with the roster we have and see who fits and who don't and then add to it next year.  

17 minutes ago, Myles said:

So the forum should be closed?    No positive or negative comments allowed because we are not at the table with the Colts execs?

I have no issues with fans expressing their pleasure or displeasure with Colts transactions.   It's OK to disagree as well.  

Personally, I am disappointed that the Colts did not get Lewis or Hyde.   Getting a proven RB to go with Mack would have saved us from using a draft pick on one.   I am also disappointed that we haven't made any improvements to the teams biggest need, the O-line.  I'm fearful that the Colts will consider this season a throw away and save the money for next year.  

I really liked what Ballard did last year.   I thought the signing of cheap young talent was great.

No, the forum should not be closed.  It is not the negative or positive nature of a comment that I am talking about, it is the absolute, definitive statements that are made.  Like Jaric said, let it play out and then we as fans will have the information needed.  The part that I bolded is not what I was referring to, disappointment in some aspects of free agency is fine IMO.  I was disappointed that the Colts didn't get Norwell, but I do not know what their FA board looks like, what value they had on Norwell, etc.  Therefore, I am not about to write some post about how bad this decision was or how Ballard is in over his head, and so on.