Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The brutal truth of the future for our colts franchise

Let me start this off by saying I was hopeful that in free agency we'd grab at least one difference maker. Ballard has sit on 72mil to spend and watched. This tells me one thing. Yes colts fans we are in rebuilding mode. Ballard has been upfront with us saying that he's not over spending and will focus on stacking draft classes( which means developing players and that takes time=rebuilding). He's also been very vocal about the number 3 pick in the draft is for sale, which also says hey we don't need just one guy, we need many more. He's seen this roster for a year now and knows he's got to fix, what grigson left him. This is what happens after 4 years of bad drafting and chasing aging stars. We can't trade picks for talent, that would lead us back down the path we were on . We can't trade players for picks because we don't have many of value. We have two things of value, Andrew luck and 3rd overall pick. We're not trading luck, but Ballard sees the 3rd pick as an opportunity for him to get a few more swings at adding some young playmakers. So while we sit here and wonder how some teams can go hog wild in Free Agency, let's remember those teams we're just like we are now a few years ago (lacking talent and drafting in the top 10 regularly). Being honest with everything is going to make this process easier. We're going to get to watch young players develop and see Andrew regain his form. I'm ok with this because I still believe Ballard is the man to get us back to the top. Was excited about the talent we drafted last year and I'm sure we're going to be excited for the players were going to be drafting this year. When time is right I'm sure he'll supplement the roster with needed free agents. Anybody we signed this year wasn't going to win us a Super Bowl next year or the year after. A very smart man once told me don't plan for  success next year but have a plan that's going to be successful 3 years or five years down road. We'll be back on top soon, let's just enjoy the ride of getting back on top and cheering for our colts.

Here is what I wrote in another thread and it would apply here as well:

I understand your point, but let's look at this with the small sample we have. Here is Ballard's first draft:

Round 1 - Malik Hooker. A good guy to build around. Can be here for the long term.

Round 2 - Quincy Wilson - Looks promising but not sure yet. We'll have to wait and see.

Round 3 - Basham - I don't see him sticking past his rookie contract.

Round 4 - Banner - Gone.

Round 4 - Mack - I see a future in Indy, but here we are still looking for a RB to pair with him.

Round 5 - G. Steward - I don't see him lasting past his rookie contract.

Round 5 - N. Hairston - Good rookie. Someone to help with the rebuild.

Round 6 - Walker Jr. - has potential, but currently a back up and here we are looking for a off-ball LB. Need has not been met.

We can only build through the draft if we pick guys that we can build around. Looking at Ballard's first draft, taking this approach will take far too long. Of course, this is just a current assessment and is subject to change.

Anyone that thought we weren't rebuilding is misguided. That's why we should have all listened to Ballard when he said he wasn't going to overpay FA's. He's been very upfront with his approach and philosophy.

Unfortunately, people like to insert their own expectations, then get disappointed when they don't come to fruition.

2 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I stopped after first sentence.

once again, Ballard isnt sitting by on anything.  Free agency hasnt started. Enough already.

Read more. I thought the same, but it's not a thread crying about not spending big.

3 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I understand your point, but let's look at this with the small sample we have. Here is Ballard's first draft:

Round 1 - Malik Hooker. A good guy to build around. Can be here for the long term.

Round 2 - Quincy Wilson - Looks promising but not sure yet. We'll have to wait and see.

Round 4 - Banner - Gone.

Round 4 - Mack - I see a future in Indy, but here we are still looking for a RB to pair with him.

Round 6 - Walker Jr. - has potential, but currently a back up and here we are looking for a off-ball LB. Need has not been met.

We can only build through the draft if we pick guys that we can build around. Looking at Ballard's first draft, taking this approach will take far too long. Of course, this assessment is just a current assessment and is subject to change.

It's kinda premature to make any of those determinations, isn't it?

I have had this thought that Ballard's activity in FA (or lack there of) could serve as an indicator of Luck's health. With Luck healthy and a good draft haul upcoming, a few key FAs could put this team firmly back in playoff contention. But without Luck, this becomes a full-on rebuild and spending on big-time FAs already in their prime wouldn't be prudent.

I get that this is a hot take...and I am not trying to derail this thread into a discussion about Luck...it's just a feeling I have had. 

2 minutes ago, buccolts said:

It's kinda premature to make any of those determinations, isn't it?

Yup.

But I clearly stated that this is just a current assessment and subject to change. It's not a final assessment. But clearly, this is how things look at the moment. I mean no one can say they were blown away by G. Stewart or Basham.

Of my assessments, are there any that you disagree with? Just curios.

4 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Yup.

But I clearly stated that this is just a current assessment and subject to change. It's not a final assessment. But clearly, this is how things look at the moment. I mean no one can say they were blown away by G. Stewart or Basham.

Yeah but Basham was going from DE to playing OLB last year, now that we are moving to a 4-3 he will be back to what he is used to. So don't write him off just yet

30 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Yup.

Actually, I was a bit discouraged by Hooker. His injury bothers me.

Wilson: Worried he's a malcontent, but hoping he was just misused by the old staff.

Stewart: No thoughts. Didn't see enough.

Basham? I'm certain he's one of a few guys Superman scratched his head over, a bit, wondering how he fit the system. Now we know it wasn't for the old system, but for the future system......now. No judgement. Looking forward to how he fits the new system.

Mack? I like him. He does need a partner, and it's his second year. RBBC backs should be fairly easy to find. Not worried.

I don't worry about 6th rounders, at all, but must say I was pleasantly surprised by Hairston. He was the best performing rookie of the bunch.

43 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Round 4 - Banner - Gone.

We can only build through the draft if we pick guys that we can build around. Looking at Ballard's first draft, taking this approach will take far too long. Of course, this is just a current assessment and is subject to change.

That's as good a draft as most teams can hope for. You get 4-5 decent players in a draft and it's a success. Not every single pick will come in and be a star piece to build around immediately, not even if you have the best GM of all time. I am extremely happy with this class, and it's a good class to "build around" as you say. You're never going to get one class where everyone comes out as a superstar like you seem to think. It's statistically impossible. But Ballard had a fantastic draft there, so I don't see the fuss.

The reactions on this forum are pretty much what I expected. I guess no one is actually listening to Ballard when he speaks. 

We we will sign some guys but not the big names people want. Build through the draft. Sucks for Luck if he comes back but it is what it is. 

We we are in rebuild mode. The ghost of Grigson and Pagano set this team back for years. Hope I’m wrong. 

57 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I stopped after first sentence.

once again, Ballard isnt sitting by on anything.  Free agency hasnt started. Enough already.

Why do people keep saying this?  Ok it hasnt officially started, so what?  By the time it does, there will be no one worth anything left.

guessing this team will be in a position to draft highly again next year.  

The lomg list of issues this team has won’t be fixed in one draft...and Ballard doesn’t seem to want to overpay for players to improve the team.   That strategy may work out long term,  but it will likely make for another poor season this fall. 

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

Yup.

Was Stewart and Basham drafted for a 4/3 defense instead of a 3/4 defense they played in last year? :thinking: I agree, they didn't show much last year.

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

Let me start this off by saying I was hopeful that in free agency we'd grab at least one difference maker. Ballard has sit on 72mil to spend and watched. This tells me one thing. Yes colts fans we are in rebuilding mode. Ballard has been upfront with us saying that he's not over spending and will focus on stacking draft classes( which means developing players and that takes time=rebuilding). He's also been very vocal about the number 3 pick in the draft is for sale, which also says hey we don't need just one guy, we need many more. He's seen this roster for a year now and knows he's got to fix, what grigson left him. This is what happens after 4 years of bad drafting and chasing aging stars. We can't trade picks for talent, that would lead us back down the path we were on . We can't trade players for picks because we don't have many of value. We have two things of value, Andrew luck and 3rd overall pick. We're not trading luck, but Ballard sees the 3rd pick as an opportunity for him to get a few more swings at adding some young playmakers. So while we sit here and wonder how some teams can go hog wild in Free Agency, let's remember those teams we're just like we are now a few years ago (lacking talent and drafting in the top 10 regularly). Being honest with everything is going to make this process easier. We're going to get to watch young players develop and see Andrew regain his form. I'm ok with this because I still believe Ballard is the man to get us back to the top. Was excited about the talent we drafted last year and I'm sure we're going to be excited for the players were going to be drafting this year. When time is right I'm sure he'll supplement the roster with needed free agents. Anybody we signed this year wasn't going to win us a Super Bowl next year or the year after. A very smart man once told me don't plan for  success next year but have a plan that's going to be successful 3 years or five years down road. We'll be back on top soon, let's just enjoy the ride of getting back on top and cheering for our colts.

FA hasn't started. Just stop

25 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Why do people keep saying this?  Ok it hasnt officially started, so what?  By the time it does, there will be no one worth anything left.

Agreed, but i'm ok with letting other teams spend the crazy money contracts.  There will be good options after the initial frenzy..... just like last year. And every other year for that matter.

im ok with over-paying if you are one guy away from making a run.  We are not in that position.  We need to draft well, and improve depth by  filling holes with value until they can be developed in-house.  

We all would like to make a big splash, but its not in the long-term best interest or long-term stability of this team.  

The Brutal Truth is there's way too many chicken little cry babies with loser mentalities putting poison in the air. Let the damn man finish his work and see what's up from there instead of trying to be in the prediction business.

Just now, csmopar said:

Nope stopped at Ballard sitting in FA cash

He actually agrees with you. It's a long read, but he states that we should be patient because Ballard is going to build through the draft and not through FA.

Ballard seems to be playing the long game, not a get-it-all-fixed in one or two years game.  He's building through the draft, plus a few FAs who are young and have upside potential. It's gonna suck to be stuck in the middle of the pack (or worse) for a few years, and it will especially suck for guys like Luck and Hilton, but in another two or three years, the Colts should be contenders again. 

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

Yes but the guys he is passing on would help this team I think he is being just a little bit stupid.

Just now, csmopar said:

Then I stand corrected and apologize 

No need for apologies.

I had the same thought as you (and many others - great, another one of these threads), but it turned out to be different than I had initially thought. It could still use paragraphs though.

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

Let the damn man finish his work and see what's up from there instead of trying to be in the prediction business.

This is why I like you krunk. You don't mince words & you always tell me exactly what you're thinking. Uh huh, it's gonna take Ballard a few more drafts before we can legitimately compete for SBs again like Harry the Cat said above. 

All I care about this year is that Luck is healthy, can take that 1st real sack & get back up with no problems, & that TDs to interception ratio changes. I'd like to the win our division again, but I know Texans QB Deshaun Watson is legit too & no cake walk either. 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I have had this thought that Ballard's activity in FA (or lack there of) could serve as an indicator of Luck's health. With Luck healthy and a good draft haul upcoming, a few key FAs could put this team firmly back in playoff contention. But without Luck, this becomes a full-on rebuild and spending on big-time FAs already in their prime wouldn't be prudent.

I get that this is a hot take...and I am not trying to derail this thread into a discussion about Luck...it's just a feeling I have had. 

I get what your saying But we the Fans and organization need to stop with everything evolves around Andrew Luck.

He's missed 23 games out of last 32. We still dont know for sure if he'll be back this year or not. Or how effective he will be if he is back. Or how long he can stay healthy if he ever gets healthy.

We as fans and the organization have to move on and be the best team we can be. Whether it is with Luck or someone else at QB. 

Nothing brutal about this. It's my team, they are on the way up, and I am excited for the future. I honestly don't get the angst/worry/pessimism/frustration. 

I am as excited as I have been in years. For me, it's not the end result...it's the process. I love the way Ballard is handling this process. Andrew will be back, the team will be better, and we will win games. 

BTW Boo2202, 

Just a friendly suggestion: When you jot down your thoughts, can you please break them into a couple of paragraphs so that it is easier to read & or skim? I get that sometimes insights come quickly like a stream of consciousness thing & that last thing anyone wants is to forget something or stifle creativity. 

Take it or leave it of course at your discretion naturally. Yes, I know I can get longwinded myself. Touche. I just lose track of a person's overall point when it feels like the words are a giant block of ice with no separations in it.

I took a few editing classes in college & my professor drilled into my head the importance of spacing for the eyes to adjust & pull out what themes appeal to them faster both from a visual perspective & a main thesis of the author perspective. Thank you.