Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Merge] Colts free agency complaints and overreaction thread

GusFring

3 hours ago, Myles said:

That is not totally correct.   No one is calling for Ballard to sign old players to win now.  

However, this team has more holes than can be filled through the draft.   Sitting on 70 million in cap space isn't helping the team.   If Luck plays like he has in the past, the Colts could have a chance if they fill the holes.   Luck playing well on the current team is not going to win more than 6-8 games.   

Preach Myles. Some don’t see that there is middle ground between Griggson’s and Ballard’s approaches.  

That said it is a little too early to get on Ballard too much until we see what free agents he actually manages to bring in. 

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Southside Hoosier Fan changed the title to Did Ballard say "we arent going to Overpay for FA's" or we arent going to pay for FA's?

Lol I'm sure we'll get a few free agents but I would not expect us to sign quality starters at this point. They are already mostly gone. 

Ballard needs to trade down for a haul in the draft at this point because this team has needs all over the roster. 

55 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Preach Myles. Some don’t see that there is middle ground between Griggson’s and Ballard’s approaches.  

That said it is a little too early to get on Ballard too much until we see what free agents he actually manages to bring in. 

I agree.   He can come out looking good, but it may not be easy.  

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Lol I'm sure we'll get a few free agents but I would not expect us to sign quality starters at this point. They are already mostly gone. 

Ballard needs to trade down for a haul in the draft at this point because this team has needs all over the roster. 

Just because some big name isn't signed does not mean a quality starter can't be found.

I seemed to remember Jeff Saturday was selling hardware when he was cut by the Ravens and then signed by the Colts. I know those players are few and far between but they are their if Ballard can spot them. Some of these guys are good enough to start just not on the team that cuts them. We witnessed that last season.

A player does not have to be an all star to do a good enough job to contribute to the team.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Ballard is interested in a ivy league QB that will probably go undrafted.

Thanks LJ!

Quickly looked up Chad Kanoff and watched the YouTube video his mom posted of his highlights. Looks like she could have sat closer if she wanted. 

Heard his brother (Jack) was quite the prospect but teams seemed to be hands off. 

49 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Two of the best guards not named Norwell were never even linked to the Colts. And they’re both going to Houston. 

I mean what’s going on lol

Apparently they have serious interest in Mathieu as well. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Two of the best guards not named Norwell were never even linked to the Colts. And they’re both going to Houston. 

I mean what’s going on lol

Obviously we’re content to hold steady with our offensive line strategy. 

RIP Andrew Luck. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just because some big name isn't signed does not mean a quality starter can't be found.

I seemed to remember Jeff Saturday was selling hardware when he was cut by the Ravens and then signed by the Colts. I know those players are few and far between but they are their if Ballard can spot them. Some of these guys are good enough to start just not on the team that cuts them. We witnessed that last season.

A player does not have to be an all star to do a good enough job to contribute to the team.

It's really nice to hear that kind of story but to be honest to ourself thats not happening on a regular basis! Hoping that some udfa or unknown veteran turns into a pro bowler is the same mistake Grigson made. No more gambling and hoping! 

1 hour ago, austriancolt said:

It's really nice to hear that kind of story but to be honest to ourself thats not happening on a regular basis! Hoping that some udfa or unknown veteran turns into a pro bowler is the same mistake Grigson made. No more gambling and hoping! 

I said those players are few and far between in my comment.

I also said it wasn't necessary for a free agent to be a pro bowler to be a starter.

Every player drafted or signed is a gamble and a hope so I really don't get what you are either debating or adding to my comment?

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Obviously we’re content to hold steady with our offensive line strategy. 

RIP Andrew Luck. 

I don't want to be the negative guy, but I can't help it.  We should start a poll on how many QBs will get hurt this year.  I think our starter and our backup will get knocked out, but the third string guy will be just tough enough to finish the year.  Luck should just rehab another year.  Spencer Long and Zach Fulton are already gone too.  Now we almost have to draft OL in the first and hope a guy like Isaiah Wynn falls to our second.

Could the lack of free agent acquisitions be related to Andrew lucks health?  Is there any way that Ballard knows something we don't and has decided that we won't be competing next year and to stay put?  I'm not saying this is what's happening I'm just asking could it be??  I just cannot for the life of me understand why he's being so stingy with the cap money. We have to get an o line or luck is going to get killed.  It's like he thinks it's coming out of his own pocket.  Oh well if he doesn't care about fielding a winning team why should we?  

There's absolutely no way we didn't at least give guys like Malcolm Butler, Andrew Norwell, and Carlos Hyde a look. I don't believe it. Not with as many holes as we have on this team. Ballard must be very very strict as far as what he will and what he wont pay for these guys. I do think we should have signed at least one of these big name guys tho. We have too many needs.

How many times have you guys seen a marquee FA sign a big money contract and after a season or 2 become not so marquee?  I personally think Ballard has a knack for wadding through the the bull  and choosing the right guys for our team.  We have a whole new coaching staff, this should be enough to be excited for.  Why not back off, take a breath, and let our GM do his job?

9 hours ago, PowerballBlue said:

I don't want to be the negative guy, but I can't help it.  We should start a poll on how many QBs will get hurt this year.  I think our starter and our backup will get knocked out, but the third string guy will be just tough enough to finish the year.  Luck should just rehab another year.  Spencer Long and Zach Fulton are already gone too.  Now we almost have to draft OL in the first and hope a guy like Isaiah Wynn falls to our second.

It’s hard not to be negative when it comes to this subject at this point. We’ve seen all around the league over the last 10 years that there are less and less competent linemen who can compete at this level coming out of college. If you keep going back to the draft pool and not paying to retain the good ones you do find, you’re gonna have a bad time. 

We’re living, breathing, injured proof. 

It’s even been a point of emphasis over the past couple years to do a better job of protecting the QB, but we’re still not taking proactive steps to do that. Looking to draft offensive linemen really isn’t a proactive approach to that anymore, because, as we’ve come to know all too well, most of them that we draft are going to disappoint. 

On 3/14/2018 at 7:01 AM, Colts_Fan12 said:

I agree that's where I'm at too the other 3 teams in our division were already better then us before FA now they get even more help plus sure there is the draft but those 3 get picks too plus the 5 top FA they got

I really hope Irsay gives Ballard time if he only really wants to build through the draft then it will honestly take quite a bit of time for this rebuild and I like how Ballard drafts just hope his slow approach doesn't get him canned early 

You build through the draft, you get the core of your team through the draft.  Not too many (a few but not many) pro-bowl players can be signed in free agency.  So for the most part the stars of your team are going to have to be guys that you drafted.  

But that doesn't mean you completely ignore free agency.  Your star players that you draft are gonna need solid guys next to them who can at least do their job and hold up.  

Andrew Luck when healthy is a great player a pro-bowl player.  But we can't expect him to take us to the playoffs much less the superbowl behind this OL.  Heck we'll be lucky for him to play half the season behind this line.  

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

It’s hard not to be negative when it comes to this subject at this point. We’ve seen all around the league over the last 10 years that there are less and less competent linemen who can compete at this level coming out of college. If you keep going back to the draft pool and not paying to retain the good ones you do find, you’re gonna have a bad time. 

We’re living, breathing, injured proof. 

It’s even been a point of emphasis over the past couple years to do a better job of protecting the QB, but we’re still not taking proactive steps to do that. Looking to draft offensive linemen really isn’t a proactive approach to that anymore, because, as we’ve come to know all too well, most of them that we draft are going to disappoint. 

It's not just that.  

We have so many holes all over the team that I just can't see how we're going to compete at all without bringing in some serious free agency talent.

We have 3 holes on the OL alone.  We don't have a #2 receiver to take the pressure off Hilton so he will have to basically accept double coverage on every play from now on.  We don't have a between the tackles runner even if we did have an OL for them to run behind.  And that's just on offense.

10 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Oh look was draft nelson so was have Costanza, Nelson and Kelly and then crap on the other side. Wait did we just  make a change.....NO same crappy line just one face has changed.

Nelson would be a great draft pick in my opinion. 

44 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

It's not just that.  

We have so many holes all over the team that I just can't see how we're going to compete at all without bringing in some serious free agency talent.

We have 3 holes on the OL alone.  We don't have a #2 receiver to take the pressure off Hilton so he will have to basically accept double coverage on every play from now on.  We don't have a between the tackles runner even if we did have an OL for them to run behind.  And that's just on offense.

You’re not wrong. I’m ok with Ballard wanting to try and fill those voids through the draft. Totally fine. If he thinks he can, let’s do it. 

Along the offensive line? 

I’m over it. It’s easier to buy quality there than it is to build it. 

This team is going to flesh out like it did last year. A bunch of mid level players on mid level deals. Fine, whatever, if that’s the plan that’s the plan. 

Just please not not on the offensive line. Please. For the love of god. 

17 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Please sign Julius Thomas!

For cheap he might be OK.   He has never started all 16 games of a season.    He wasn't great in Jax for 2 years and nothing big in Miami last year.  Maybe you are remembering him from his 1 great year in Denver.  

1 hour ago, Indy1996 said:

Why we already got two good TE we wouldn't even use him 

Doyle is good, who's the other good TE? He'd be a lot better than Swoope.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

For cheap he might be OK.   He has never started all 16 games of a season.    He wasn't great in Jax for 2 years and nothing big in Miami last year.  Maybe you are remembering him from his 1 great year in Denver.  

Peyton made him great in Denver, I will concede that. Neither the Jags nor the Dolphins has good enough QBs, although he was also injury prone. I think it would be a good gamble and Luck would benefit from more two TE plays.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, 1959Colts said:

I'd honestly like to know,

a few months ago... How many posters ever even heard of Andrew Norwell?

Excellent point. I think fans and rightfully so are just a little skeptical. Our past in FA comes with scars. However, we are eager for success, that to comes with a level of anxiety. We all want the best for the Colts though. I'm actually biting my nails on the opportunity to snatch up Poe and drafting DJ Moore lol  :hide:

In response to the post about the Jets spending money, they have spent 15 million dollars on two qbs who would never ever get them to the sb, so, what's the point? Should we spend erratically, irrationally, foolishly also? Ballard is doing fine so far. Wait for the dust to settle. How "bad" did this team look last year because of the ridiculous play of the qb? Not one Colt opponent last year had to respect the pass for even one play, that's how bad the qb was. Not to dump on Brissett, he had to learn on the fly, very hard to do in the nfl. All you people who are whining here, ask yourself one question, would this have been a 4-12 team had Luck played? I say no, we would have been 9-7 or 10-6 and Pagano would still be here. (Just think about all the whining then). Give it time people!

30 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Doyle is good, who's the other good TE? He'd be a lot better than Swoope.

Peyton made him great in Denver, I will concede that. Neither the Jags nor the Dolphins has good enough QBs, although he was also injury prone. I think it would be a good gamble and Luck would benefit from more two TE plays.

Swoope is a playmaker you must have never watched games when he played

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

You build through the draft, you get the core of your team through the draft.  Not too many (a few but not many) pro-bowl players can be signed in free agency.  So for the most part the stars of your team are going to have to be guys that you drafted.  

But that doesn't mean you completely ignore free agency.  Your star players that you draft are gonna need solid guys next to them who can at least do their job and hold up.  

Andrew Luck when healthy is a great player a pro-bowl player.  But we can't expect him to take us to the playoffs much less the superbowl behind this OL.  Heck we'll be lucky for him to play half the season behind this line.  

Totally agree 

19 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

In response to the post about the Jets spending money, they have spent 15 million dollars on two qbs who would never ever get them to the sb, so, what's the point? Should we spend erratically, irrationally, foolishly also? Ballard is doing fine so far. Wait for the dust to settle. How "bad" did this team look last year because of the ridiculous play of the qb? Not one Colt opponent last year had to respect the pass for even one play, that's how bad the qb was. Not to dump on Brissett, he had to learn on the fly, very hard to do in the nfl. All you people who are whining here, ask yourself one question, would this have been a 4-12 team had Luck played? I say no, we would have been 9-7 or 10-6 and Pagano would still be here. (Just think about all the whining then). Give it time people!

I disagree with most of this.   If you think this is a good team, that is your choice.  Most would disagree.  The WR position is very thin.   The O-line is bad.  The RB position is very thin.  Defense lacks in a few areas.   That is not even touching on depth.  Luck, in the past, has played great and was able to hide some flaws.  Do you really want to rely on him doing that again. 

Besides, this thread is the complaint thread.

1 hour ago, Indy1996 said:

Swoope is a playmaker you must have never watched games when he played

I have watched last season, unfortunately. Yes, Swoope is a playmaker but Thomas would be better right now if Luck plays. Sign Thomas to a 1 year deal then let Swoope take over next season.

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

With A couple of exceptions, our entire roster is made up of depth players. Let's try something different and add an actual starting impact player or two. We have enough depth.

It adds competition and CB already stated he isn’t going to over pay guys who are average or “starters” because the market and teams are OVER paying for players that had a good year or decent career. I’m sticking with CB on this one!