Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Merge] Colts free agency complaints and overreaction thread

GusFring

3 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Look at what these teams are paying for certain players who have not produced. I just heard Montcrief may get offered 10M/yr. Regardless, next year we would all be yelling why did we sign this player for that amount of guaranteed money. The jags now have about two years before they blow it up due to three years of extravagant FA signings.

FA is for teams who are ready to win. We are building. The Vikings look great right now, but what if Cousins does not play well, or he gets hurt. 3 year fully guaranteed contract. These are very large amounts for players who are far from elite. Norwell is good, but my god he only has one pro bowl year.

If that's the case we can all forget about Barkley, Chubb and Nelson.  We are trading back for the most picks we can acquire.  Maybe more than once. The bidding will heat up after FA.  

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Good heavens...

I guess some don't realize how tough this process is ? With so many teams flush with cap space , the best FA's will get absurd contracts. Even those teams with not a lot of cap space can maneuver to give one player a "bloated" contract. Ballard doesn't want to grossly overpay and I can appreciate that but on the other hand it's getting hard to figure out where we are going to spend the cap space. Probably sign a CB and maybe Justin Pugh for starters ?

4 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Lighten up. 

It was meant to be funny. And what's even funnier is that I am a borderline millennial. 

But I appreciate you "telling me" what I should or shouldn't be doing. I'm sure this works out well for you sometimes

Hey man, didn't mean to come off as so serious, years of writing lab reports has made my writing very straight to the point. Perhaps "telling" you what to do was the wrong way to put it, I apologize.

2 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Hey man, didn't mean to come off as so serious, years of writing lab reports has made my writing very straight to the point. Perhaps "telling" you what to do was the wrong way to put it, I apologize.

No worries dude. It's all good 

7 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I guess some don't realize how tough this process is ? With so many teams flush with cap space , the best FA's will get absurd contracts. Even those teams with not a lot of cap space can maneuver to give one player a "bloated" contract. Ballard doesn't want to grossly overpay and I can appreciate that but on the other hand it's getting hard to figure out where we are going to spend the cap space. Probably sign a CB and maybe Justin Pugh for starters ?

I mean, there's like 9 good OL hitting free agency. As far as I know, only two are 'off the market' so far. I knew we weren't getting Norwell two weeks ago, I just thought he'd go to the Giants.

Plan B, then Plan C, then Plan D. Either way, I'm betting Ballard signs two starting caliber OL within the next week. 

I would have done $14m/year for Norwell, though.

Everyone needs to take a breath and see how well the o line

holds up under Reich's offensive system. Play action pass 

and disguised plays may be enough pause and not allow the

defense to pin their ears back and crash the line....oh, and 

getting rid of the ball under 7 seconds will make the line look 

better also.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I mean, there's like 9 good OL hitting free agency. As far as I know, only two are 'off the market' so far. I knew we weren't getting Norwell two weeks ago, I just thought he'd go to the Giants.

Plan B, then Plan C, then Plan D. Either way, I'm betting Ballard signs two starting caliber OL within the next week. 

I would have done $14m/year for Norwell, though.

Just so much money for a guard .. so I can see both sides of this one. 

1 hour ago, GusFring said:

what other free agents are going to help that unit? And then he gets picked up by a division rival that already had a good oline. 

Coughlin>>>>>>>>>>Ballard

Florida (no personal income tax & SUN). >>>>>>>> Indy (income tax & COLD)

state governments need to exempt pro athletes from personal income tax and increase tax at owner's level or higher taxation at stadiums.

its not a free market when this advantage exists for some teams.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

The Jags are all in on winning now, building a strong team through FA, but they're only buying a short window. At this rate, they may have 2 years or so, then will be back in the basement with old, under-producing players they're stuck with on high prices contracts, unable to splurge on FA or resign the players they drafted.

Ballard has a plan and is methodical. He's trying to build a sustainable franchise that will be able to stay at a high level year after year.

We all blasted Grigs for going all in and overpaying average talent in an attempt to win now. As much as we would like to take advantage of Luck's prime years, it would be foolish to go all in again just to be back in this spot rebuilding the roster in a few years.

The foundation isn't the prettiest part of a house, but without a strong one, the rest won't last.

Yes but it’s to an extent. Ballard’s unwillingness to spend money has to stop. He can splurge on one free agent the play it smart with everyone else. Norwell was a must sign!!

8 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Lol...

I thought it was at first, but now not so sure...

All of these new accounts are making me feel like I'm in the Colts Facebook page's comment section. So many definitive, yet ignorant statements...

Y’all think I’m crazy but Jax has established dominance in the division! The defense is gonna be good a few more season and the running game just got better. Talking real, colts are probably the worst team in the AFC south. We had a chance to to create a solid left side of the line and let it walk away. Norwell was the only guy we needed to land. Ballard can be picky with everyone else

3 minutes ago, Keith Paradis said:

Y’all think I’m crazy but Jax has established dominance in the division! The defense is gonna be good a few more season and the running game just got better. Talking real, colts are probably the worst team in the AFC south. We had a chance to to create a solid left side of the line and let it walk away. Norwell was the only guy I wanted him to land. Ballard can be picky with everyone else

Yep, changed it for ya!!! :) 

3 minutes ago, Keith Paradis said:

Y’all think I’m crazy but Jax has established dominance in the division! The defense is gonna be good a few more season and the running game just got better. Talking real, colts are probably the worst team in the AFC south. We had a chance to to create a solid left side of the line and let it walk away. Norwell was the only guy we needed to land. Ballard can be picky with everyone else

I think this might be a tad of an overreaction if I may. There are still other o-line available in FA and one LG does not a SB make. Luck's health is the be all and end all when it comes to setting expectations next year. 

As for the Jags, sure they have a great Defense, but it has been exposed in games. They also have hitched themselves to Bortles, problem being it's the team pulling him along not the other way around. The run heavy P/A stunt they pulled last was a great Davids strategy but won't be sustainable in the long term. I mean just look at the 2012 season sponsored by read option overreaction. Teams have film now, they will adapt and target him. 

The NFL has been, always will be, a QB driven league. If ours is healthy we still have that over the Jags. 

1 hour ago, Keith Paradis said:

Yes but it’s to an extent. Ballard’s unwillingness to spend money has to stop. He can splurge on one free agent the play it smart with everyone else. Norwell was a must sign!!

prove to us that Ballard didn't offer the same money to Norwell.  Otherwise you're making assumptions.  Ballard very well could have offered the same contract..maybe he offered even more but Norwell chose Jax instead.  

3 hours ago, Jaric said:

Shouldn't we at least wait till free agency starts to declare the season over?

Exactly.... It hasn't even started yet!

I'm hoping to sign G Norwell.....also target WR's Robinson, Watkins, the FA from Seahawks. And of course mlb from cowboys Hitchens..he's virtuality a already done deal because pf Eberfus.

haha