Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jags signing Norwell for $66M/ 5yr ($30M guaranteed) (Merge)

Well no one should have expected the Colts to get any of the "big name" free agents. That just doesn't seem to be Ballard's style.

Hes willing to give average/above average contracts only. Won't over pay. We saw it last year. Brought average guys in on decent contracts.

Going to have to spend some money somehow though. This Free Agent class just really isn't a good one in my opinion.

This is going to be hard to take for several Colts fans here.

The Jags have the money, and they are more attractive compared to the Colts. They have more quality on their roster and closer to a Super Bowl than the Colts.

5 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Well no one should have expected the Colts to get any of the "big name" free agents. That just doesn't seem to be Ballard's style.

Hes willing to give average/above average contracts only. Won't over pay. We saw it last year. Brought average guys in on decent contracts.

Going to have to spend some money somehow though. This Free Agent class just really isn't a good one in my opinion.

Of all the free agents to actually spend on, Norwell was really kind of the one we should have. 

3 minutes ago, James said:

The Jags have the money, and they are more attractive compared to the Colts. They have more quality on their roster and closer to a Super Bowl than the Colts.

Obvious taek

10 minutes ago, James said:

And no state tax.  If he was worried about the above he wouldn't have had the colts and Giants on his radar.

Looks a lot like last year honestly. Jags are going to have some serious cap concerns when some of these defensive guys are ready to get paid (Ramsey, Jack, etc). I didn't want to accept the fact that we are going to be at least a season or two away from being competitive again (truly competitive), but it looks like that might be the case if we can't fix our OL. Not surprised we didn't get Norwell, but definitely sucks that someone in our division did.

I badly wanted Norwell and he cost exactly what we all knew he would. 13-14M on a 5 year deal was always the range. It just sucks bigtime to see him go to a division rival of all places. They basically took the annual money needed to keep Robinson and used it to get Norwell. Smart. And again we get outbid or outgunned by a team w less cap space. Not surprised. Just disappointed. Gonna be a long slow start to free agency if history serves. 

45 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Of all the free agents to actually spend on, Norwell was really kind of the one we should have. 

At a reasonable price yes... the man is making LT money as a guard... I wanted him to but at a reasonable price.  The jags do continue to make it harder to sign their own though.

29 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I badly wanted Norwell and he cost exactly what we all knew he would. 13-14M on a 5 year deal was always the range. It just sucks bigtime to see him go to a division rival of all places. They basically took the annual money needed to keep Robinson and used it to get Norwell. Smart. And again we get outbid or outgunned by a team w less cap space. Not surprised. Just disappointed. Gonna be a long slow start to free agency if history serves. 

No... that was no ALWAYS the range.. man that is top LT money... which is the most important position on the line.  This is a ridiculous overpay.  Guards in FA are in the range of 8-10 mil a year.

http://abc11.com/sports/andrew-norwell-to-sign-5-year-$665m-deal-with-jaguars/3209238/

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2018/3/13/17113328/andrew-norwell-expected-to-sign-with-jaguars-per-reports

Former Panthers’ G Andrew Norwell intends to sign with the Jaguars on a 5-year deal for $66.5 million, including $30M fully guaranteed, source tells ESPN. He is going to become NFL’s highest paid guard - $13.3 million average.

Image result for dang it gif

I would have liked Norwell, but that is a lot of cash, especially guaranteed money for a guard who can go down any second. Plus, Norwell only had one really outstanding season behind him, so probably for the best.

The one thing I looked at on OTC is the Jaguars depending on how the structure this only have 27M next year in cap space before this signing, and next year is when draft picks they picked start coming up to get paid. Fowler is the first, and the year after, Jack, Ramsey. With all the money they have spent on FA's, and none of them have been small contracts, Jackson, Campbell, Bouye, etc. they are going to be losing players they drafted, and cap hell is going to come up and bite them. They have spent so much high priced FA money in the last 3 years, just blows me away. If Bortles does not improve, none of it makes a difference.

1 hour ago, gnet550 said:

How do the jags continue to have money to spend? They just purged free agency last year....o well they still got good ol Blake behind center in a big game

They are going to have their cap crunch too. But they can delay it until 2020, so they have a 2 year window. Ngakoue, Jack and Fowler are FAs that year. That's when they will start losing key players because they can't afford them, at latest. What remains to be seen which players they will lose and how they can replace them through the draft.

Until this year, they had top 5 picks from 2013 to 2017. And in 2012 they had #7 pick but traded up to top 5. Going to be a lot harder to keep accumulating talent when the first pick isn't in the top 5.

And they did lose A-Rob and possibly Lee. They prioritized Norwell over them.

28 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

No... that was no ALWAYS the range.. man that is top LT money... which is the most important position on the line.  This is a ridiculous overpay.  Guards in FA are in the range of 8-10 mil a year.

Guard market exploded couple of years ago when Osemele signed with the Raiders, for almost 12M per year.

2 minutes ago, Finball said:

Guard market exploded couple of years ago when Osemele signed with the Raiders, for almost 12M per year.

Osmele is the only guard to get that kind of money... can you imagine what Zach Martin is going to get?? He just became unaffordable for the Cowboys with this contract.  But I disagree about the guard market exploding.  Osmele is the only one to get that kind of contract.

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Everything Will Be Okay 

That's what Ballard is telling Luck. 

13mil for a guard is rather expensive, but the line has got to be somewhat fixed this offseason. Oh well onto hoping colts draft nelson

7 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

I would have liked Norwell, but that is a lot of cash, especially guaranteed money for a guard who can go down any second. Plus, Norwell only had one really outstanding season behind him, so probably for the best.

The one thing I looked at on OTC is the Jaguars depending on how the structure this only have 27M next year in cap space before this signing, and next year is when draft picks they picked start coming up to get paid. Fowler is the first, and the year after, Jack, Ramsey. With all the money they have spent on FA's, and none of them have been small contracts, Jackson, Campbell, Bouye, etc. they are going to be losing players they drafted, and cap hell is going to come up and bite them. They have spent so much high priced FA money in the last 3 years, just blows me away. If Bortles does not improve, none of it makes a difference.

Bottles just got them to the AFC championship game.  He doesn’t have to improve they just have to continue to run Fournette into the ground where he’s not worth a second contract because he’s been used so much...

9 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

At a reasonable price yes... the man is making LT money as a guard... I wanted him to but at a reasonable price.  The jags do continue to make it harder to sign their own though.

I mean, the cap has risen steadily since the lockout. And it will continue to do so. As such, the values in contracts have risen. It’s the economics of the league. The longer the deal, the less impactful cap hits get as the cap continues to rise. 

With a new labor deal looming this season and next could be fairly fruitful for teams to take on some bigger cap numbers in the future for players who will make a big impact for their team. 

It’s not like Norwell would have put us in cap hell, and he would have been the best addition to this offensive line in over a decade. 

Too many offensive linemen come out of college unprepared and unable to play adequately at this level. We’ve seen the quality of offensive line play become an issue all around the league. 

A guy like Norwell keeps us from having to continue to go through the same trial and error method we’ve gone through now since 2006 along the offensive line.