Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns to take QB at 1.

IndyScribe

Personally, I don't know how much I buy into this. I'm not saying that they don't take a QB at 1, but they gave up the number 1 pick in the 3rd round for Taylor.  I just think if you take a QB at 1 they need to start, and I wouldn't trade a 3rd for a backup. Just my thoughts, though.

I don't buy it at all. This is a ruse. The other teams are probably grilling the Browns over the phone, saying, "We all know you won't take a QB at #1 when you're sitting on a #4, and this crop of QB's isn't that good anyways, so we'd rather just trade with the Colts or Giants and save 1st overall money."

This hurts the value of the #1 pick, so now the Browns are just like, "You know what, fine, screw it. You all had your chance. Now we're taking a QB at #1." The Browns don't really mean it though. You know it's bad when the presumed #1 QB on the board is getting Johnny Manziel comparisons.

1 hour ago, Pilgrim said:

Personally, I don't know how much I buy into this. I'm not saying that they don't take a QB at 1, but they gave up the number 1 pick in the 3rd round for Taylor.  I just think if you take a QB at 1 they need to start, and I wouldn't trade a 3rd for a backup. Just my thoughts, though.

Tyrod Taylor is a one year rental now. They could easily want to get their QB of choice to start after he leaves in a year.

Where do people get that this crop of QBs isnt any good?

Its like they just pulled it out if the sky.

There are atleast 5 first round picks at QB this year. It is actually a very good class and they can take the best one of the bunch.

They are not gonna say "well we will settle for whoever is at 4." Especially for a RB. Thats just dumb.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Tyrod Taylor is a one year rental now. They could easily want to get their QB of choice to start after he leaves in a year.

I disagree, but the situation will be interesting either way. I still think the 65th pick is a high price on a one year rental. I expect them to extend him sooner rather than later. He's proven he's at least a mid-tier QB with upside.

I tend to believe that the browns are going to take Barkley with the 1st pick and still get the top QB at 4. Just my opinion but it would make it easier for whoever they take at 4 because they won't have the pressure of being the 1st overall pick in the draft. It will give the Browns more leeway to develop the QB and not have to immediately throw him to the wolves.

17 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I tend to believe that the browns are going to take Barkley with the 1st pick and still get the top QB at 4. Just my opinion but it would make it easier for whoever they take at 4 because they won't have the pressure of being the 1st overall pick in the draft. It will give the Browns more leeway to develop the QB and not have to immediately throw him to the wolves.

If I were the Colts, I'd be tempted to call up the Browns and say, "If you take our guy, Barkley, at #1, then we're going to trade down to a team who wants a QB and you're going to lose out on your guy when you pick at #4." Sure, it's a threat, but it's a dog eat dog world on Draft Day.

Of course it's possible the Giants pick Barkley so... uhh,  I hope Ballard's binder has nude Eli photos.

15 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

If I were the Colts, I'd be tempted to call up the Browns and say, "If you take our guy, Barkley, at #1, then we're going to trade down to a team who wants a QB and you're going to lose out on your guy when you pick at #4." Sure, it's a threat, but it's a dog eat dog world on Draft Day.

Of course it's possible the Giants pick Barkley so... uhh,  I hope Ballard's binder has nude Eli photos.

The Colts "guy" isn't Barkley.

5 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I don't buy it at all. This is a ruse. The other teams are probably grilling the Browns over the phone, saying, "We all know you won't take a QB at #1 when you're sitting on a #4, and this crop of QB's isn't that good anyways, so we'd rather just trade with the Colts or Giants and save 1st overall money."

2 years ago it was supposedly a bad QB crop. One of those QB's was on an MVP pace (whose team just won the SB) and the other played extremely well and got his previously awful team to the playoffs.

This is actually a decent QB class. Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield (your Manzel comparison that has hardly shown up as the top QB prospect), Allen, and Jackson are all very good QB prospects. Some are more polished than others, but if I'm the Browns, I'd be ecstatic being able to have the pick of this QB class.

I'll believe the Browns go QB first overall when the commush makes that announcement.

I believe they want Barkley first overall, but are now leaking out that they'll take a QB first to see if they can tempt teams to trade up with them so those teams can have a shot at the QB of their choice.

I believe Clevelands thinks that the QB they want will be there at 4,  or they'll consider trading up with the Colts to make sure we don't sell to someone else who might steal their QB.

I've done a complete 180 on this issue.   Take Barkley and find a way to get the QB you want.   Cleveland has the assets to pull off anything they want....

4 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

There are atleast 5 first round picks at QB this year. It is actually a very good class and they can take the best one of the bunch.

They are not gonna say "well we will settle for whoever is at 4." Especially for a RB. Thats just dumb.

It is indeed a very good class.

But....

Its not quite as good as predicted 7-8 months ago.   The top-4 QBs all have unique great strengths.    But they also each have a unique flaw or two about them which means there's not an obvious top QB in the group.    I wouldn't be surprised if you polled the 32 GMs that each of the four QBs would receive roughly 20-30 percent support as the best in the class.

That means Cleveland may be confident it can still get the QB they want even taking Barkley first overall.

Just another perspective for consideration.. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

It is indeed a very good class.

But....

Its not quite as good as predicted 7-8 months ago.   The top-4 QBs all have unique great strengths.    But they also each have a unique flaw or two about them which means there's not an obvious top QB in the group.    I wouldn't be surprised if you polled the 32 GMs that each of the four QBs would receive roughly 20-30 percent support as the best in the class.

That means Cleveland may be confident it can still get the QB they want even taking Barkley first overall.

Just another perspective for consideration.. 

The big thing for me is this......look at the Minnesota Vikings over the last 10 years. They have been all about Adrian Peterson. AP leaves. They have thier best season in a long time, not only without him, but also without his replacement. 

RB is just not that important to being successful because there are just so many talented guys who can produce at that spot readily available. You see guys come in off the street and produce every year. Its more about your schemes and offensive line play. 

And then you factor in the recent miss on Carson Wentz. I dont think the owner is happy to see Wentz in the MVP conversation while they are starting Kizer, who has already been scrapped for a pick. He has the ultimate say in this. Irsay actually decided we were gonna draft Andrew Luck before he knew who the GM was, and its no different anywhere else. Owners ultimately decide. So if he likes one of these kids, he absolutely can make the pick himself. Anything they do will be moot until they find that QB. He is gonna want his front office to find that guy this year.

As far as this class.....I agree there isnt anyone who seems to be a Peyton Manning or an Andrew Luck. But there are like 3 different versions of Alex Smith. I dont necessarily think they have to be that good to warrant the pick because its just so important 

I think there is a much better chance they just draft the #1 QB, and maybe Barkley falls to 4? Or they can just draft one in the second round. There are a lot of good backs available this year, and Duke Johnson has some potential as well. They can have a very good running game without Barkley. 

So why take the chance someone steals your QB? Especially considering both teams at 2 and 3 are most likely willing to deal those picks? Thats just asking for it.

I think the Giants are 100% taking a QB as well, for the same reason. Players as talented as Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen and even Josh Allen dont come around all the time. All 3 have prototypical size, athleticism and arm talent. I think Barkley will be there for us and i think we will pass as well and take Bradley Chubb. They might get Barkley but they will get him at 4 if they do. All three teams pass on Barkley for the same reason, RB is just an easier position to fill than QB or DE, it has nothing to do with how good he is. He is amazing and it wouldnt take me long to get exicited if we took him tho.

11 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

QBs are always overrated in the draft....There could be 5 first round QBs but none of them ready to play effectively right away.  We talk up the QBs ...doesnt mean they're ready...Denver didnt think so.

Could be that only teams with 2 1st round picks will risk one one this years QBs.

That would be Buffalo and Cleveland

7 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Browns don't know that the NYGs and the Colts wont trade their pick to teams needing a QB.

Cleveland has to take the QB first

25 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Browns don't know that the NYGs and the Colts wont trade their pick to teams needing a QB.

Cleveland has to take the QB first

Normally, I would agree you on that, but this year this year is a little atypical in that there are 4-6 first round quality QB's in the draft. Four of them are expected to be drafted in the top ten picks. The thing is none of them has separated himself from the pack as the best QB in the draft. Depending on the analyst and the day of the week the consensus as to who is the best changes. If there were an Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers, or Cam Newton then heck yeah you have to take the QB at 1. I'm not about to say one of these guys can't be a Luck, Rodgers, or Newton but nothing I have heard or read has said any of these guys are that type of talent. With that being said, no matter what they are guaranteed one of the top 3 QB's in the draft. Because of the number of QB's likely to be taken in the 1st round this draft is drawing comparisons to the '83 draft when 6 were taken in the 1st. The 3rd QB taken in that draft was Jim Kelly. I'm not in any way saying that the 3rd or any of the QB's taken will have a career to match Jim Kelly but I don't think any team would complain if they got the 3rd QB and ended up with a Jim Kelly. Just a reminder, the last QB taken in the 1st round in '83 was Dan Marino another heck of a QB! Please, no one think I am saying that any of these guys are as good as the class of '83, my point is that in a draft where the QB position is unusually deep that taking a QB at one isn't as imperative as most years. 

7 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

they should take darnold at # 1.  they cant risk him and rosen being gone by their next pick 

i think allen or mayfield would be busts there. 

I think either the Browns or the Bills are going to trade up for the #2 pick. They both have the multi draft picks to make it work.

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'll believe the Browns go QB first overall when the commush makes that announcement.

I believe they want Barkley first overall, but are now leaking out that they'll take a QB first to see if they can tempt teams to trade up with them so those teams can have a shot at the QB of their choice.

I believe Clevelands thinks that the QB they want will be there at 4,  or they'll consider trading up with the Colts to make sure we don't sell to someone else who might steal their QB.

I've done a complete 180 on this issue.   Take Barkley and find a way to get the QB you want.   Cleveland has the assets to pull off anything they want....

You cant disregard the Giants trading with the Browns and just drop 2 spots either. If Dorsey could swing a deal like that the Browns fan base would go insane.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You cant disregard the Giants trading with the Browns and just drop 2 spots either. If Dorsey could swing a deal like that the Browns fan base would go insane.

and if the Giants did that deal they would be insane. How would that benefit the Giants? A QB and Barkley would be gone even before the Giants pick, and then we could even trade down and another QB could be gone or we could take Chubb at 3.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

and if the Giants did that deal they would be insane. How would that benefit the Giants? A QB and Barkley would be gone even before the Giants pick, and then we could even trade down and another QB could be gone or we could take Chubb at 3.

Who said the Giants were looking for a QB?  Not anyone in the Giants front office including the owner.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Who said the Giants were looking for a QB?  Not anyone in the Giants front office including the owner.

Not saying they are but they could be and not only that Barkley would be gone too. I am sure if they are gung ho on keeping/believing in Eli that they want Barkley. Eli isn't going to be around that much longer so not taking a QB to groom is risky IMO, not getting the QB you want or not getting Barkley is a disaster for them.

9 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

QBs are always overrated in the draft....There could be 5 first round QBs but none of them ready to play effectively right away.  We talk up the QBs ...doesnt mean they're ready...Denver didnt think so.

Could be that only teams with 2 1st round picks will risk one one this years QBs.

That would be Buffalo and Cleveland

I dont think Denver is gonna shy away from drafting a QB for Case Keenum. The only way they dont is if they feel Paxton Lunch will actually beat him out in camp and is thier guy long term. Its all about the QB. It always has been and always will be. Its the most important position in all kf team sports. And i bet there are 5, maybe even 6 QBs drafted in the first round by the time its all said and done.

Im not arguing these guys are going to the hall of fame just that they will be drafted really high.

I mean Colts fans are worried about the QB position and we have a player comparable to Davis Webb or Paxton Lynch or Case Keenum or any of these prospects AND Luck. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not saying they are but they could be and not only that Barkley would be gone too. I am sure if they are gung ho on keeping Eli that they want Barkley. Eli isn't going to be around that much longer so not taking a QB is risky IMO, not getting the QB you want or not getting Barkley is a disaster for them.

They are just like the Colts. They need positions all over the team. Trading down would fill their need just like the Colts trading down would.

11 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Normally, I would agree you on that, but this year this year is a little atypical in that there are 4-6 first round quality QB's in the draft. Four of them are expected to be drafted in the top ten picks. The thing is none of them has separated himself from the pack as the best QB in the draft. Depending on the analyst and the day of the week the consensus as to who is the best changes. If there were an Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers, or Cam Newton then heck yeah you have to take the QB at 1. I'm not about to say one of these guys can't be a Luck, Rodgers, or Newton but nothing I have heard or read has said any of these guys are that type of talent. With that being said, no matter what they are guaranteed one of the top 3 QB's in the draft. Because of the number of QB's likely to be taken in the 1st round this draft is drawing comparisons to the '83 draft when 6 were taken in the 1st. The 3rd QB taken in that draft was Jim Kelly. I'm not in any way saying that the 3rd or any of the QB's taken will have a career to match Jim Kelly but I don't think any team would complain if they got the 3rd QB and ended up with a Jim Kelly. Just a reminder, the last QB taken in the 1st round in '83 was Dan Marino another heck of a QB! Please, no one think I am saying that any of these guys are as good as the class of '83, my point is that in a draft where the QB position is unusually deep that taking a QB at one isn't as imperative as most years. 

Mel...

.....You cant just settle for who's left.

You have to decide who you want and go get him.

All teams have one of these guys rated as the top guy.

And they may not think the 'crop' is as deep as you do. They may only like one of these guys

You have to go get him....and not let your No.1 pick fall to chance

2 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

I dont think Denver is gonna shy away from drafting a QB for Case Keenum. The only way they dont is if they feel Paxton Lunch will actually beat him out in camp and is thier guy long term. Its all about the QB. It always has been and always will be. Its the most important position in all kf team sports. And i bet there are 5, maybe even 6 QBs drafted in the first round by the time its all said and done.

Im not arguing these guys are going to the hall of fame just that they will be drafted really high.

I mean Colts fans are worried about the QB position and we have a player comparable to Davis Webb or Paxton Lynch or Case Keenum or any of these prospects AND Luck. 

There is little chance Denver drafts a QB with the '5' pick.

Remember..they still have Paxton Lynch and Chad Kelly....Kelly, if healthy,  is better than many the guys coming out this year......and he's never played a down

.....from what I read..there is talk of Denver trading down with someone like Buffalo and getting two lower No,. 1 picks..while Buffalo gets a QB

Sigh, why does everyone think Case Keenum needs to be replaced?  He's always been underrated, and finally got to show something when surrounded by a good team. 

Nothing wrong with having a team built around balance and not having it elite QB centered.  Those tend to be hard to find and very expensive.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sigh, why does everyone think Case Keenum needs to be replaced?  He's always been underrated, and finally got to show something when surrounded by a good team. 

Nothing wrong with having a team built around balance and not having it elite QB centered.  Those tend to be hard to find and very expensive.

.....Lets see what the Broncos do with the rest of their cash..

If they sign Solder and draft Nelson......that line becomes elite