Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyrod Taylor News (as it relates to the Colts)

chrisfarley

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, chrisfarley said:

Browns now have Tyrod, that answers the question whether they will take Barkley once and for all, correct?  Does that mean Giants might snag Chubb or will they take a QB?

Giants could be in the drivers seat to trade back if they don't like any of the QB's.

5 minutes ago, AllYouNeedIsLuck said:

I don't think this means they won't draft a QB #1 overall. Taylor might just be the starter so the rookie they draft isn't thrown into the fire, no?

Still surprising that they gave the Bills a third round pick for Taylor.

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

Barkley at 1 would still give them plenty of options for a QB at 4

If there's one guy they like above the rest, I don't think they're going to risk it. They've already screwed themselves plenty of times not getting their franchise QB 

I mean all of this is me trying to cope with it, deep down hoping we have a chance at Barkley lol

33 minutes ago, AllYouNeedIsLuck said:

If there's one guy they like above the rest, I don't think they're going to risk it. They've already screwed themselves plenty of times not getting their franchise QB 

I mean all of this is me trying to cope with it, deep down hoping we have a chance at Barkley lol

I think you’re spot on.  Yes there are plenty of QB options at 4 but they’re not interchangeable parts.  There is a ton of due diligence done on these players and they come up with a hierarchy.  If the Browns LOVE a QB they’re not going to chance it.  Trading Kizer almost makes it a sure thing they go QB in round 1.  Let him sit while Tyrod plays a year or 2.  Makes me think Allen as he’s probably the least pro ready.

1 hour ago, AllYouNeedIsLuck said:

I don't think this means they won't draft a QB #1 overall. Taylor might just be the starter so the rookie they draft isn't thrown into the fire, no?

But they now have a few years to look at qbs and not waste the first pick that isn't a position of need. barkley then qb, or trade.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Barkley at 1 would still give them plenty of options for a QB at 4

But they'd be taking a chance that the NYGs wouldn't take the QB they want.

Maybe they will trade the '4' and the 3rd round pick they just got...to the NYGs for the '2' pick

Edited by oldunclemark

2 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

Browns now have Tyrod, that answers the question whether they will take Barkley once and for all, correct?  Does that mean Giants might snag Chubb or will they take a QB?

I don't think Chubb displayed enough at the combine to warrant the #2 pick.  I think the pick goes to the highest bidder, which is bad for us.

The Breveland Clowns are obviously angling to build a “triplet” offense with Taylor, Landry, and Barkley.

I’m not sold on Taylor, myself.  But they’re obviously thinking that TT + Barkley (with Landry) is a better bet than either of the top 2 QBs in the draft and Landry.

Barkley is gone. This move seals the deal.

2 hours ago, J@son said:

That doesn't sound like a team trying to acquire a backup qb

Correct.     They are not bringing in Taylor to be a back-up.

But, he's also not being brought in to be the long-term solution.   The NFL has a somewhat new term.   A "bridge QB"...   A guy to come in for a year --- two years, tops --- to be the starter while the franchise rebuilds,  and while a young QB is groomed for the future.

Taylor will start for a year while the QB they draft sits on the sidelines and learns.   Whoever that QB is might play in December,  when the team is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.     But the Browns want to start winning now. Even if it's only 4 or 6 or even 8 games.    The Browns need to show their fans a commitment to get better while they are building up their franchise with the hord of draft picks.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Correct.     They are not bringing in Taylor to be a back-up.

But, he's also not being brought in to be the long-term solution.   The NFL has a somewhat new term.   A "bridge QB"...   A guy to come in for a year --- two years, tops --- to be the starter while the franchise rebuilds,  and while a young QB is groomed for the future.

Taylor will start for a year while the QB they draft sits on the sidelines and learns.   Whoever that QB is might play in December,  when the team is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.     But the Browns want to start winning now. Even if it's only 4 or 6 or even 8 games.    The Browns need to show their fans a commitment to get better while they are building up their franchise with the hord of draft picks.

Would've had the same strategy if they signed any QB other than Cousins.  I think this is actually a fairly deep QB draft, so finding Tyrod's replacement in rounds 2 or 3 wouldn't be too difficult, IMO.

56 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think Chubb displayed enough at the combine to warrant the #2 pick.  I think the pick goes to the highest bidder, which is bad for us.

he didn't light the world on fire that's for sure, but did do fairly well, I just hope we get a "3" value out of this draft.  Here are the 3's going back to 2010:

Solomon Thomas

Joey Bosa

Dante Fowler

Blake Bortles

Dion Jordan

Trent Richardson

Marcell Dareus

Gerald McCoy

23 hours ago, DougDew said:

Would've had the same strategy if they signed any QB other than Cousins.  I think this is actually a fairly deep QB draft, so finding Tyrod's replacement in rounds 2 or 3 wouldn't be too difficult, IMO.

I don't think they're going to wait until Rounds 2 or 3.

I expect one of their two first round picks to be used on the next franchse QB.

I don't know if it will be the 1 or the 4,  but politically speaking,  I think they have to use one of them on the next QB.

Because if they like somebody in the 2nd or the 3rd round....   what happens if another team drafts that guy before their pick comes around?       Then,  they've screwed themselves.    They have to get the guy they want with one of their first round picks.

3 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

It answers nothing , except that Buffalo fleeced them.

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think they're going to wait until Rounds 2 or 3.

I expect one of their two first round picks to be used on the next franchse QB.

I don't know if it will be the 1 or the 4,  but politically speaking,  I think they have to use one of them on the next QB.

Because if they like somebody in the 2nd or the 3rd round....   what happens if another team drafts that guy before their pick comes around?       Then,  they've screwed themselves.    They have ge the guy they want with one of their first round picks.

Good points about their Qb not being there later.  My thinking is that they must not think any of the QBs are ready to play day 1, so I'm not sure they would draft one at 1 or even 4.

Maybe their #1 pick is in play for a trade and they'll take a QB at 4 or later.

It should mean they draft Barkley at 1. Tyrod needs a back like Barkley to take the pressure off of him. However Chubb would be a big immediate boost to their defense as well. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them go Chubb at 1. 

Likewise, maybe they plan to deal #1. Get even more picks out of it. Maybe they trade 1 AND 4 and really have a pool of picks. 

The Giants are still a total mystery. Maybe they take a QB. Maybe they take Chubb. Maybe they take Barkley if the Browns trade out to a team who wants a QB. 

Theres still a lot of dominoes left to fall 

Clearly TT is a bridge QB. I think a 3rd is crazy high for a guy who most likely would of been cut next week, and quite frankly isn't that good.

Buffalo was sure to cut him($16m cap hit). $6m roster bonus due next week. They could of saved $10m in cap this year, or $15m if they designated him a  post june 1st cut.

Saying that, Cleveland has to win some games this year or Hue is gone(1-31 record). Can't send him out there with a rookie qb and expect big things this year. Taylor will get them some wins for sure, but they could of found that on the FA market and kept that premium pick. Like I said, Taylor would of probably been on that market next week as well anyway. 

I fully expect them to take a QB at 1 or 4 though.

Colts will have great options at 3, no matter how picks 1 and 2 go.

Browns-Bills could be priming the pump for a bigger trade

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/10/browns-bills-could-be-priming-the-pump-for-a-bigger-trade/

...The Browns have two of the first four picks; they could take any player they want at No. 1 (a quarterback makes the most sense) and then trade the No. 4 pick to Buffalo. Or the Browns could roll the dice on getting the quarterback they want at No. 4 and send the No. 1 pick to the Bills.

Other candidates for a trade with Buffalo include the Giants at No. 2, the Colts at No. 3, the Broncos at No. 5, the Jets at No. 6, the Buccaneers at No. 7, the Bears at No. 8, the 49ers at No. 9, and the Raiders at No. 10.

The ultimate move depends in part on a variety of factors, starting with which of the big five incoming quarterbacks (Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen) the Bills fall in love, and whether and to what extent they love more than one of them. Another factor becomes which of the quarterback-needy teams in the top 10 (Broncos, Jets, maybe the Giants) secure a veteran in free agency or via trade...

16 hours ago, CR91 said:

Bye bye Barkley. Now the question becomes, will the giants take chubb

If so and the giants take Chubb we trade back hopefully for a kings ransom. I definetly don't want to go in the 20s. I really am waiting to see who we use this cap money for in FA. That will help us fans have an idea come the draft.

Moves are being made left and right for mid to late round picks. We may miss our chance to grab a sought after player, if we are unwilling to part with a later pick. Especially if your scenario plays out, we could be in prime position to get even more top picks. That said, its a deep class at several position it seems; hopefully we can hit on more of our picks than in recent history. Even though I like what Ballard has done, last years draft left room for improvement IMO.