Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Teams still asking wrong questions at the Combine....

NewColtsFan

The NFL says it has made it clear that questions like......    "do you like men?"   or....  "is your mother a prostitute?" are completely inappropriate and not acceptable.

The NFL says it sends out a reminder letter to teams every year....

And yet,  LSU's Derrius Guice was asked both those questions at the Combine...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920178/article/nfl-questions-to-derrius-guice-were-inappropriate

NFLPA President DeMarius Smith says teams who do that should be banned from the Combine.     That would stop it.

And Pro Football Talk suggests that ALL INTERVIEWS should be videotaped.     That way,  it's on the record.

Teams that do this are playing with fire.    If these guys are found out, I predict trouble ahead for them...

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is to get into the players head and see how they react. I fully support those questions but I would also expect crazy off the wall answers when I asked that question myself. Maybe if questions was asked like this in other places and background checks the world would be a little different.  Just because you are asked a question doesn't mean you have to answer it honestly unless it is subject to perjury in which i don't think any of these interviews are. 

All i can tell these kids is stop being SOFT. Because I know for sure lots of things are said on that playing field to get into the opponents heads , Its a part of the game. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The NFL says it has made it clear that questions like......    "do you like men?"   or....  "is your mother a prostitute?" are completely inappropriate and not acceptable.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920178/article/nfl-questions-to-derrius-guice-were-inappropriate

NFLPA President DeMarius Smith says teams who do that should be banned from the Combine.     That would stop it.

And Pro Football Talk suggests that ALL INTERVIEWS should be videotaped.     That way,  it's on the record.

Teams that do this are playing with fire.    If these guys are found out, I predict trouble ahead for them...

I think people need to quit being offended by stupid crap and quit being ( word for cat )! This world has gotten super sensitive over the dumbest crap. Get the F over it and move on. 

I went theough CHP academy and corrections and they ask you much worse questions then that. This outages me more then anything when I see things like this. Damn cry baby just play football .... you just want your name being talked about or what?

edit: someone will be offended by this. 

2 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

I think people need to quit being offended by stupid crap and quit being *! This world has gotten super sensitive over the dumbest crap. Get the F over it and move on. 

I went theough CHP academy and corrections and they ask you much worse questions then that. This outages me more then anything when I see things like this. Damn cry baby just play football .... you just want your name being talked about or what?

Yeah, I agree. I get that it's weird that they ask for staring contests, your best dance moves or other stuff. But that's one of the most interesting parts of the combine. I get that football players are people too but they should have tougher skin than the average person. I mean get over those questions, because that's nothing compared to life in the NFL. Especially in" the gutter" of the NFL...just my two cents though.

11 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

Yeah, I agree. I get that it's weird that they ask for staring contests, your best dance moves or other stuff. But that's one of the most interesting parts of the combine. I get that football players are people too but they should have tougher skin than the average person. I mean get over those questions, because that's nothing compared to life in the NFL. Especially in" the gutter" of the NFL...just my two cents though.

What the heck do you think they say on the field or about you in the news/social media/locker room .... it’s called seeing how you react! Are you going to get angry and get them a penalty or walk away. I would not want this kid on my team or locker room. You going blab everything to media? 

( in corrections mental exam they ask you all kinds of weird crap because the inmates will say the worst stuff to get you to do something ) I got asked would would you rather sleep with your mom or dad .... I said my mom because my dad snores 

or do you like things that sparkle .... I said yes then they called me a ( word for Gay that stars with F )

Or have ave you ever thought about becoming a women ... did I go complain to the board or to someone? No get over it! 

5 hours ago, strt182 said:

It is to get into the players head and see how they react. I fully support those questions but I would also expect crazy off the wall answers when I asked that question myself. Maybe if questions was asked like this in other places and background checks the world would be a little different.  Just because you are asked a question doesn't mean you have to answer it honestly unless it is subject to perjury in which i don't think any of these interviews are. 

All i can tell these kids is stop being SOFT. Because I know for sure lots of things are said on that playing field to get into the opponents heads , Its a part of the game. 

15 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

I think people need to quit being offended by stupid crap and quit being ( word for cat )! This world has gotten super sensitive over the dumbest crap. Get the F over it and move on. 

7 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

1 minute ago, TdungyW/12 said:

What the heck do you think they say on the field or about you in the news/social media/locker room .... it’s called seeing how you react! Are you going to get angry and get them a penalty or walk away. I would not want this kid on my team or locker room. You going blab everything to media? 

( in corrections mental exam they ask you all kinds of weird crap because the inmates will say the worst stuff to get you to do something ) I got asked would would you rather sleep with your mom or dad .... I said my mom because my dad snores 

or do you like things that sparkle .... I said yes then they called me a *. 

Or have ave you ever thought about becoming a women ... did I go complain to the board or to someone? No get over it! 

Do you think Peyton Manning was asked about his sexuality or his prostitute mom?

Do you think Jim Irsay asked Tony Dungy about his sexuality or his prostitute mom?

Those guys were the face of the Colts for a decade, so Irsay would want to make sure they have appropriate reactions to crazy questions, right?

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Do you think Peyton Manning was asked about his sexuality or his prostitute mom?

Do you think Jim Irsay asked Tony Dungy about his sexuality or his prostitute mom?

Those guys were the face of the Colts for a decade, so Irsay would want to make sure they have appropriate reactions to crazy questions, right?

Who knows what they were asked .... but regardless if they were asked those questions they didn’t cry about it or tell on anyone! 

2 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

Who knows what they were asked .... but regardless if they were asked those questions they didn’t cry about it or tell on anyone! 

You just have to ask yourself where you draw the line.  For some, there is no line.

But what if they start asking seriously messed up questions?

"Do you like little boys?"

"Would you rape someone if they deserved it?"

"What's your target number of kills if you're a school-shooter?"

I understand you want to make sure these soon-to-be millionaires are "right" in the head, but we need to draw the line somewhere.  A 15-yd penalty is not even in the same stratosphere as breaking federal law.

Just my two cents.

:dunno:

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You just have to ask yourself where you draw the line.  For some, there is no line.

But what if they start asking seriously messed up questions?

"Do you like little boys?"

"Would you rape someone if they deserved it?"

"What's your target number of kills if you're a school-shooter?"

I understand you want to make sure these soon-to-be millionaires are "right" in the head, but we need to draw the line somewhere.  A 15-yd penalty is not even in the same stratosphere as breaking federal law.

Just my two cents.

:dunno:

Ok those r off limit questions .... there’s stupid innocent questions and then there are hose questions that deff would offend people. 

People should know limits but then again society as a whole now is beyond stupid 

While these lines of questioning are largely uncalled for, it has gone on for many years now and no one seems to take it too seriously.  IMO, this is largely due to the fact that no one is held accountable.  When was the last time that we heard a specific team was asking this stuff....and how were they held accountable?

I am expecting that things will change the minute the Patriot name is thrown into the conversation....and there will be overwhelming cries for massive fines, lost draft picks and significant suspensions.

The Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights and protects a person against being compelled to be a witness against himself or herself in a criminal case.

Pleading the Fifth is a colloquial term for invoking the privilege that allows a witness to decline to answer questions that might incriminate him or her, without penalty or it counting against him or her.

KNOW IT AND USE IT... sometimes stupid questions get stupid and even funnier responses. 

I'm not sure how all the regulations work for a NFL interview or such. However if some Joe comes up to me and asks me some stupid question off the street you better belief i'm going to have some ridiculous answer to it and walk off laughing and not get bent out of shape. But I'm not some athlete either. So i could care less what anybody things of me.  

Just now, TdungyW/12 said:

Ok those r off limit questions .... there’s stupid innocent questions and then there are hose questions that deff would offend people. 

People should know limits but then again society as a whole now is beyond stupid 

See?

Now how would you feel if someone that DIDN'T think those questions were off-limits asked you those, then when you got offended, they said you were just being "SOFT" and to get the F over it?

Roll-Safe-Think-About-It.jpg

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Does the CFL need FO personal 

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

For everyone who are calling the players who are offended soft

there is one question that must be asked

What would you do if a future employee asked you that question 

When they are paying me MILLIONS of dollars a year have at it ask anything you want. 

12 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

See?

Now how would you feel if someone that DIDN'T think those questions were off-limits asked you those, then when you got offended, they said you were just being "SOFT" and to get the F over it?

Roll-Safe-Think-About-It.jpg

Yeah but I have been asked very offensive questions b4 and even if I get offended I don’t cry I suck it up and walk along. 

Maybe I grew up in a different time and era. 

Regardless IMO too many people are offended and cry over the stupidest crap and society is soft. It comes from parenting and rules now a Days.

16 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

For everyone who are calling the players who are offended soft

there is one question that must be asked

What would you do if a future employee asked you that question 

I was asked much more offensive crap then this for plenty of law enforcement jobs .... I say quit being a *cat and get over it softy! 

Teams should be able to ask any questions they want.  And a player should have the freedom to say "I think that's an inappropriate question".  The question and answering interaction can be telling.

The NFL has gone down a rabbit hole of trying to meld social issues with their product.  They appear to be trying to define what is offensive and what isn't and are being fairly narrow-minded about it.

6 minutes ago, strt182 said:

I still wouldn't have a problem with it. I'd have my own fun with it. Sometimes the best answers a questions also.

That’s exactly what I did with questions asked to me .... 

was asked who who would you rather sleep with your mom or dad .... I said my mom because my dad snores

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Tape the interviews and start levying fines for the first offenses and if the offenses continue pull draft picks.

44 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

Why are those questions off limits and questions on if your mom is a prostitute ok?  

None of these are acceptable behavior and the NFL needs to stamp down on it.  And the only way they can is if prospects tell them.  

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Teams should be able to ask any questions they want.  And a player should have the freedom to say "I think that's an inappropriate question".  That question and answer can be telling.

The NFL has gone down a rabbit hole of trying to meld social issues with their product.  They appear to be trying to define what is offensive and what isn't and are being fairly narrow-minded about it.

The Question(s) that were asked have nothing to do howva player will play the game

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Teams should be able to ask any questions they want.  And a player should have the freedom to say "I think that's an inappropriate question".  That question and answer can be telling.

Not to mention their employees can’t seem to keep themselves out of trouble .... you can’t say one thing then have done beat women or drunk driving or caught for drugs etc ...

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Tape the interviews and start levying fines for the first offenses and if the offenses continue pull draft picks.

Why are those questions off limits and questions on if your mom is a prostitute ok?  

None of these are acceptable behavior and the NFL needs to stamp down on it.  And the only way they can is if prospects tell them.  

Where did I say the mom being a prostitute ok? I said people r wusses now period.

3 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

:agree:

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The Question(s) that were asked have nothing to do howva player will play the game

I guess that would go for all nonfootball related questions. 

But I bet the social police would allow some questions to be asked.  Like, Are you a Nazi? 

5 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

Where did I say the mom being a prostitute ok? I said people r wusses now period.

So what is a strong tough non wussy manly man suppose to do when asked an inappropriate question?  Beat the crap out of the person who asked?  Just take it and do nothing because you don't want to be a taddle tale?  

Exposing them to social shame to me is the best response.  He's not running out and suing them or something like that.  He's simply telling the media the truth about what some teams asked him.  

If teams don't want that information leaked out to the press they should try not asking the question, not expecting that their interviews are bound by some sort of oath of secrecy.  

Hell if a kid has a bad interview the information on that leaks out to the press.  But if a team's reps act like some jerks then suddenly the prospect is bound to some oath of secrecy.  

Why should the secrecy extend only one way?

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I guess that would go for all nonfootball related questions. 

But I bet the social police would allow some questions to be asked.  Like, Are you a Nazi? 

Unless a guy has a swastika tattooed on his arm or has said made some Nazi-like statements I don't think that's an appropriate question.

You need some initial evidence of those things before you start asking questions like that.  

With the mom being a prostitute thing though, even if you have evidence of that, it doesn't really matter because it's about the prospect, his ability to play and stay out of trouble.  Not what his mom does for a living. 

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

So what is a strong tough non wussy manly man suppose to do when asked an inappropriate question?  Beat the crap out of the person who asked?  Just take it and do nothing because you don't want to be a taddle tale?  

Exposing them to social shame to me is the best response.  He's not running out and suing them or something like that.  He's simply telling the media the truth about what some teams asked him.  

If teams don't want that information leaked out to the press they should try not asking the question, not expecting that their interviews are bound by some sort of oath of secrecy.  

Hell if a kid has a bad interview the information on that leaks out to the press.  But if a team's reps act like some jerks then suddenly the prospect is bound to some oath of secrecy.  

Totally agree!!! I am still baffled we are sitting in 2018 and without rhyme or reason, these questions are asked without anything to base their question on.

If you want to question intangibles like "are you capable of being a leader? do you see your ego causing a problem in the locker room?" etc., that would be one thing. But things like these make me shake my head.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Totally agree!!! I am still baffled we are sitting in 2018 and without rhyme or reason, these questions are asked without anything to base their question on.

If you want to question intangibles like "are you capable of being a leader? do you see your ego causing a problem in the locker room?" etc., that would be one thing. But things like these make me shake my head.

Feel the same way 

13 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Unless a guy has a swastika tattooed on his arm or has said made some Nazi-like statements I don't think that's an appropriate question.

You need some initial evidence of those things before you start asking questions like that.  

With the mom being a prostitute thing though, even if you have evidence of that, it doesn't really matter because it's about the prospect, his ability to play and stay out of trouble.  Not what his mom does for a living. 

Huh?

Its a question, not an accusation.

You need evidence before you make an accusation or a judgment.

I'm perfectly fine with these question being asked just to see what kind of reaction you can get out of them. If a certain player is homophobic, see if you can trigger him, if a player has character concerns, see how he'll respond to said question. If a player is a known liar, try to catch him in a lie. Do things to keep them honest and gain information. That also tells if they can stay on the field, be a leader of men, and have a long career potentially. 

You don't want to be 100% obvious like "what would be your contributions to the team if we drafted you?" Every player is ready for something like that. Catch them off guard and watch them squirm. That's how you get a non scripted answer.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm perfectly fine with these question being asked just to see what kind of reaction you can get out of them. If a certain player is homophobic, see if you can trigger him, if a player has character concerns, see how he'll respond to said question. If a player is a known liar, try to catch him in a lie. Do things to keep them honest and gain information. That also tells if they can stay on the field, be a leader of men, and have a long career potentially. 

You don't want to be 100% obvious like "what would be your contributions to the team if we drafted you?" Every player is ready for something like that. Catch them off guard and watch them squirm. That's how you get a non scripted answer.

Very true but they can be approached in different ways 

27 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Lol big strong manly man ..... no I dont condone violence or never did I say do that unless defending ones self. 

Going out and suing someone i also I also don’t agree with unless property was damaged and it can’t be solved outside a court room. 

Look you have your opinion and i wont disregard that but, in my opinion with all these marches and people being offended over EVERYTHING .... I mean people want a tree taken down because it was supposedly planted by a man who might have owned slaves .... our society has become beyond ridiculous about being offended and airing our opinions about everything. 

If if I pick my nose on a plane someone will feel offended because they are non pickers and believe tissues should be used and it’ll be all over social media. 

My my best friend is black and we have always had a greeting where I come in and say my ni**ah .... and he calls me cracker. It’s an inside joke .... but I guarantee if someone heard that they would be offended and cry until they were on CNN or Fox News and I would be sued by the ACLU for being a racist white supremist .... or we can’t say mailman or email because feminist say it offends them with the word “man”

like seriously where the F does it end .... get the F over crap and quit being a damn wuss ..... when did our nation become full of pansies runnng around complaining about EVERY little thing?