Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Cap breakdown

Coltfreak

I'm sharing this from my website which I cannot post a link from because I will get put in timeout again.   This guy is very accurate and takes everything into consideration when putting these numbers together.   Some may disagree but yr after yr he is extremely close when all is said and done 

enjoy

$177.200m = 2018 NFL Salary Cap
$016.837m = 2017 Colts Cap Rollover
==========
$194.037m = 2018 Colts Salary Cap

$118.380m = Top 51 Current Contracts
$001.110m = Spots 52/53 on Active Roster
$001.779m = Dead Money
$009.877m = Projected Draft Pool (#3 overall is expensive...)
$001.200m = 10-man Practice Squad
$003.000m = In-Season "Churn" Space
==========
$135.346m = 2018 Cap Obligations

$058.691m = Free Cap Space to spend on Free Agents

2 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

I'm sharing this from my website which I cannot post a link from because I will get put in timeout again.   This guy is very accurate and takes everything into consideration when putting these numbers together.   Some may disagree but yr after yr he is extremely close when all is said and done 

enjoy

$177.200m = 2018 NFL Salary Cap
$016.837m = 2017 Colts Cap Rollover
==========
$194.037m = 2018 Colts Salary Cap

$118.380m = Top 51 Current Contracts
$001.110m = Spots 52/53 on Active Roster
$001.779m = Dead Money
$009.877m = Projected Draft Pool (#3 overall is expensive...)
$001.200m = 10-man Practice Squad
$003.000m = In-Season "Churn" Space
==========
$135.346m = 2018 Cap Obligations

$058.691m = Free Cap Space to spend on Free Agents

my guess is we spend about 45 million total.  Now how many that ends up being, I don't know. But I'd guess we'd try to get 2 bigger name/higher quality guys and then several 2nd/3rd depth tier guys

With so much available Cap $$$ around the league and the Colts in total rebuild, why would a quality FA come here now? 

It would be great to add Alan Robinson, Paul Richardson, and Norwell.  lol
 We may add Hitchens. A guy that needs to come out in passing situations. lol Obviously he is still a decent upgrade to Chuck's pal Morrison.  oh boy

35 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

With so much available Cap $$$ around the league and the Colts in total rebuild, why would a quality FA come here now? 

It would be great to add Alan Robinson, Paul Richardson, and Norwell.  lol
 We may add Hitchens. A guy that needs to come out in passing situations. lol Obviously he is still a decent upgrade to Chuck's pal Morrison.  oh boy

you pick who you want, and you overpay them, FA's almost always go with the most money, guaranteed money that is, they all know they are 1 hit away from never having that next payday

13 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I want Allen Robinson, because I think he will be motivated to rebound after last year's injury. I don't want Ballard to have to get WRs in the draft if he doesn't have to, because the class isn't very good. 

He’s going to have to dip into both. We only have 2 WRs on the roster right now.  I’m also not sure exactly how that math works out.  Over the cap has us sitting at 77 mil in space and I saw somewhere else that had 65.  I don’t know how we go from having third most cap to just under 60 mil. But I’m not good at math soo... we’ll see! 

6 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

He’s going to have to dip into both. We only have 2 WRs on the roster right now.  I’m also not sure exactly how that math works out.  Over the cap has us sitting at 77 mil in space and I saw somewhere else that had 65.  I don’t know how we go from having third most cap to just under 60 mil. But I’m not good at math soo... we’ll see! 

The OP does illustrate the mid $70 mil we've been hearing about, it just goes on to reasonably assume expected costs, to estimate how much we have to spend in FA.

12 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

We do still have the 3rd most cap. This just breaks down how much we can actually spend of it, because a good chunk is already effectively put towards other things.

Every team will have these similar costs pulling down their cap numbers as well. Thats why a team like Philly is in so much trouble. Being 10M over the cap doesnt seem like a lot of money to get rid of, but they have also drop enough to sign draft picks, new players, etc. When you add it all up they need to drop about 25-30M to be able to keep their team under the cap and still roster a competitive team.