Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jack Mewhort

rockywoj

18 hours ago, Hoose said:

Give him a one year contract with a team option for year 2. Load it with incentives and figure on him being a solid backup. 

I just want to point out to folks... just because you place incentives in a deal does not get the team out of paying them or circumventing the salary cap.

The LTBE incentives are taken into cap account right away.  the NLTBE are held until player does indeed reach them, if they do at all. Then player then gets paid, and cap room lessened.

2 hours ago, King! said:

Even if he came back as a backup I would be happy.

He appears classy. I’ll always root for a lineman trying, who has bad knees.  My youngest son played Highschool Ball at 6’8”/ 330 lbs. Knees were so bad (part injuries, part inherited) that he never played further.  Today, ten years later, at 6’9’/ 350, I hear his knees grinding and popping as he carries his sons across the room.  I just root for Jack to still be able to walk when he’s older.....

I remember coming out of college Jack Mewhort could play all five positions across the line. I recall him playing a lot of Tackle in college and in 2014 (His second year in the league) I recall him practicing as our RT through Training Camp. What happened? I know how he's been battling injuries and such, but how come he moved back inside to play Guard.  I know his future in Indianapolis will depend on his health, but why not bring him back to play RT? I'm no Doctor, but would he playing Tackle help or hurt him? He will be going against smaller guys, quicker of course. Right now, our line is a mess and we all know #74 is an FA after this upcoming season. So if Mewhort came back to the Colts in 2018, would he be better suited  to play Guard or RT?

I’m sure someone on this forum who has both football and medical knowledge could answer exactly but it would seem the tackle position would require more lateral movement than guard, but I’m not sure. When healthy, he was solid at guard but I don’t recall him standing out at tackle...but maybe that’s a good thing 

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I’m sure someone on this forum who has both football and medical knowledge could answer exactly but it would seem the tackle position would require more lateral movement than guard, but I’m not sure. When healthy, he was solid at guard but I don’t recall him standing out at tackle...but maybe that’s a good thing 

He needed constant help at tackle. He was slower than Haeg is now, so he couldn't stop the Rush, if I remember right. (And Joe needs help)  He played his best, alongside Castanso.  Not sure if that's a reflection on Jack, or Anthony.  With bad knees, he'll be slower yet.

17 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Guard mobility depends upon scheme, play call (run or pass), and position.  For example, the left guard in a power run scheme has to be athletic and 'pull', while play side guard and tackle 'down block', etc..