Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jack Mewhort

rockywoj

Jack Mewhort was just currently on Sirius XM's NFL Radio interviewed by Bruce Murray and Brady Quinn.

He says he's feeling great, getting stronger and stronger and very much looking forward to playing this coming year, whether that be with the Colts or another team.  He's "not at all afraid to do whatever is asked of him, as far as working out or whatever" to demonstrate his health.  He has "a lot of faith in myself and I'm ready to rock and roll!"

When asked if overtures have been made by the Colts to re-sign with them, he said he keeps his nose out of all that, trusting his agent and that with the Combine having just ended and Free Agency only a week away, that he expects to hear some things over the next few days.

He speaks really highly of Chris Ballard and the decisions he's been making for the Colts.

He says Andrew Luck is brilliant and the definition of "professional" and that he's excited for Luck, as a friend, for him to get back this coming year, healthy.

He says he'd love to be part of the equation that turns this thing around for the Colts and that he thinks they're building a really good roster and will be back on top soon enough.

Just thought you guys would appreciate this summary of his interview.  :)

If he is indeed back to feeling terrific physically / meaning he is healthy, then I hope the Colts are able to re-sign him

58 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Jack Mewhort was just currently on Sirius XM's NFL Radio interviewed by Bruce Murray and Brady Quinn.

He says he's feeling great, getting stronger and stronger and very much looking forward to playing this coming year, whether that be with the Colts or another team.  He's "not at all afraid to do whatever is asked of him, as far as working out or whatever" to demonstrate his health.  He has "a lot of faith in myself and I'm ready to rock and roll!"

When asked if overtures have been made by the Colts to re-sign with them, he said he keeps his nose out of all that, trusting his agent and that with the Combine having just ended and Free Agency only a week away, that he expects to hear some things over the next few days.

He speaks really highly of Chris Ballard and the decisions he's been making for the Colts.

He says Andrew Luck is brilliant and the definition of "professional" and that he's excited for Luck, as a friend, for him to get back this coming year, healthy.

He says he'd love to be part of the equation that turns this thing around for the Colts and that he thinks they're building a really good roster and will be back on top soon enough.

If he is indeed back to feeling terrific physically / meaning he is healthy, then I hope the Colts are able to re-sign him

Thanks for the update!

As for the portion in bold: I take this to mean that the Colts have not reached out to him. He would know if they had reached out to his agent. He stated that he expects to hear something within the next few upcoming days. This could indicate that the Colts do not plan on re-signing him, as it currently stands.

Of course, they could reach out to his agent but if they haven't yet, it's not likely they will within the next few days.

I hope Mewhort is 100% healthy and enjoys a nice NFL career... but given the revolving door we've had at G for ages... I would really prefer we just go full bore after Norwell AND draft Nelson.

If we're gonna fix the interior OL it's time we stop nickel and diming it. 

When healthy Mewhort was solid.... but IMO we need to start fresh.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

He keeps his nose out of that and just trusts his agent.

So he doesn't even ask the man if his current team wants to bring him back or not.  

You would think there might be some things a guy might want to know.  

I think he knows exactly what is going on.

Reading between the lines - I think this means he's heard nothing from the Colts.

53 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Thanks for the update!

As for the portion in bold: I take this to mean that the Colts have not reached out to him. He would know if they had reached out to his agent. He stated that he expects to hear something within the next few upcoming days. This could indicate that the Colts do not plan on re-signing him, as it currently stands.

Of course, they could reach out to his agent but if they haven't yet, it's not likely they will within the next few days.

That is exactly what it means.

I'm sorry only Colt I think that needs a 1 year deal is Moncrief. Mewhort needs at least 3 year deal with it front loaded on guarantees, but with health incentives. He's already a proven he can do the job and from what i can tell he's done more than we've asked from him.

27 minutes ago, Matabix said:

I'm sorry only Colt I think that needs a 1 year deal is Moncrief. Mewhort needs at least 3 year deal with it front loaded on guarantees, but with health incentives. He's already a proven he can do the job and from what i can tell he's done more than we've asked from him.

From what I have heard (from a variety of reliable sources that cover our beloved Colts), Moncrief is 99.9% gone.

I believe JMV alluded to the fact that Ballard was very, very disappointed with how Moncrief played in a contract year, irrespective of the QB circumstances.  The sentiment on Moncrief is that he is a "fraud" in the sense that he has all the measurables you'd want from an NFL WR, but is sorely lacking in the "game" and production categories.

I mean, Moncrief lost snaps to Aiken.  -=Shudders=-

7 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

From what I have heard (from a variety of reliable sources that cover our beloved Colts), Moncrief is 99.9% gone.

I believe JMV alluded to the fact that Ballard was very, very disappointed with how Moncrief played in a contract year, irrespective of the QB circumstances.  The sentiment on Moncrief is that he is a "fraud" in the sense that he has all the measurables you'd want from an NFL WR, but is sorely lacking in the "game" and production categories.

I mean, Moncrief lost snaps to Aiken.  -=Shudders=-

I agree wholeheartedly, the dude is a diva. I just here about prove it deals for Mewhort, and the dude is total opposite of Moncrief. Why find someone to replace Mewhort when you already have him. He works, and a true professional. He is 100% a shoe guy. 

Just now, Matabix said:

I agree wholeheartedly, the dude is a diva. I just here about prove it deals for Mewhort, and the dude is total opposite of Moncrief. Why find someone to replace Mewhort when you already have him. He works, and a true professional. He is 100% a shoe guy. 

Yep, I'm with ya.  Agree 100% on Mewhort.  At the right price, he is at least giving everything he has.

I always thought Mewhort was overrated by this forum, but lets not forget his recent performances have been hindered by injury and recovery.

If CB has no intent of reaching out to him, then he must have a plan to reach out to other FAs or draft, because JM is worthy of kicking the tires with a reasonable contract.....if he's truly healthy.

22 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Sounds like he's campaigning for a contract. You can't blame him, hard to equal a nfl salary with a real job in the real world.

Good luck to him.

On 3/7/2018 at 6:59 PM, DougDew said:

I always thought Mewhort was overrated by this forum, but lets not forget his recent performances have been hindered by injury and recovery.

If CB has no intent of reaching out to him, then he must have a plan to reach out to other FAs or draft, because JM is worthy of kicking the tires with a reasonable contract.....if he's truly healthy.

YEP!!

On 3/7/2018 at 6:37 PM, Matabix said:

great dude, sure, but has been plagued by injury adn has a possible chondral defect in his knee, which will only deteriorate if that is the case.....

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:37 PM, Matabix said:

Unfortunately you have that right...injury plagued OL's career cut short. Fits in with all of the could have been great Colts of the past. :Cry:

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Unfortunately you have that right...injury plagued OL's career cut short. Fits in with all of the could have been great Colts of the past. :Cry:

Tarik Glenn, Rick DeMullig, Jake Scott, Anthony Castonza, Jeff Saturday, those are horseshoe guys. They were injured all the time, nope! Your history is too current. If you base a shoe guy on injuries, not sure you know what it means to be a shoe guy. 

5 hours ago, egg said:

With the cap space and high pics, I will be very disappointed if the Colts do not open the 2018 season with 5 very good O-linemen who do not have a history of lingering debilitating injuries .

You don't need an All-pro o-line to field a good O-Line. If we sign a good guard, the o-line will be decent. Also I highly doubt that all 5 olinemen will be very good.

Idk what you guys are talking about because Mewhort at LG was definitely a solid part of our O-line most of the time. That being said, I wouldn't break the bank on him but he is definitely worth starting Guard money in the NFL. He would be at minimum very quality depth whether we go after a high-level free agent or a high draft pick at guard. 

3 hours ago, Matabix said:

Tarik Glenn, Rick DeMullig, Jake Scott, Anthony Castonza, Jeff Saturday, those are horseshoe guys. They were injured all the time, nope! Your history is too current. If you base a shoe guy on injuries, not sure you know what it means to be a shoe guy. 

Of course...yes I was talking more recent history we seem snake bitten when it comes to the OL health. We did have a nice run in the 2000s.

4 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

You don't need an All-pro o-line to field a good O-Line. If we sign a good guard, the o-line will be decent. Also I highly doubt that all 5 olinemen will be very good.

"very good" does not mean "all pro". It is very possible for an NFL team to have 5 very good linemen, and in 2018 one of those teams needs to be the Colts.

On 3/7/2018 at 4:15 PM, jskinnz said:

I think he knows exactly what is going on.

Reading between the lines - I think this means he's heard nothing from the Colts.

Maybe Colts and Mewhort's agent talked, and the numbers desired from each side aren't even close.

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Maybe Colts and Mewhort's agent talked, and the numbers desired from each side aren't even close.

I don't believe that.  If that is the case why wouldn't Mewhort said as much?  Plus I don't believe Mewhort has any leverage and he knows that.  If there was dialog it would be on the team's terms.

It's far more likely that the team has not approached him or his agent.

If we get Norwell and resign Mewhort. I would like to see.

AC-LT

Good-LG

Kelley-C

Norwell-RG

Mewhort-RT

Unless we can acquire a decent OT in draft or FA, I would than kick Mewhort back to LG. Boyd, Haeg, and Good is good rotation. 

Haeg needs to get stronger, and Boyd, and Good need more experience.