Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton is no longer 'Papa John'

oldunclemark

25 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Peyton Manning has sold his share of ownership in 31 'Papa John's' pizza resteraunts in the Denver area.

He will remain as a spokesman for the national chain...

It could mean absolutely nothing

Just now, buccolts said:

If he invests in numerous Pizza Huts in the Indy area, we'll know it's something.

:)

Yes, that's baiting.

My buddy, who's an Uber driver, works for a guy who works for another guy who worked on Peyton Manning's septic system back in 2006, stold him that the Peyton told the guy that he was working a deal with Irsay to buy the Colts.

:sarcasm:

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

My buddy, who's an Uber driver, works for a guy who works for another guy who worked on Peyton Manning's septic system back in 2006, stold him that the Peyton told the guy that he was working a deal with Irsay to buy the Colts.

Yeah, Baby!

Go big, or go home......     :)

Anyone who does not think it is related to the NFL signing Pizza Hut after dropping Papa John's is crazy. 

Such a sensitive world we live in, IMO. Everyone is looking for the next thing to get offended by, that is why I don't have a FB or Twitter account. People can twist anything to get offended.

Good for Peyton!!  Papa John Schnatter is from the town where I currently live.  He's obviously been a hometown hero of sorts around here and has been a big contributor to the University of Louisville (Papa John's Cardinal Stadium) and to other local organizations.

I thought he was a cool guy who gave back to his community.  But, blaming dropping sales on the players kneeling was ridiculous.  I challenge anyone to order a pizza from Papa John's and compare it to the ones in print ads and TV commercials.  The one you buy has about half the toppings.

His better ingredients, better pizza slogan is bogus.  Crust tastes like cardboard and toppings are sparse.

Anyway, just my two cents...

Will be nice to go to games and be able to buy a different brand of pizza that actually looks and tastes like pizza.

3 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Good for Peyton!!  Papa John Schnatter is from the town where I currently live.  He's obviously been a hometown hero of sorts around here and has been a big contributor to the University of Louisville (Papa John's Cardinal Stadium) and to other local organizations.

I thought he was a cool guy who gave back to his community.  But, blaming dropping sales on the players kneeling was ridiculous.  I challenge anyone to order a pizza from Papa John's and compare it to the ones in print ads and TV commercials.  The one you buy has about half the toppings.

His better ingredients, better pizza slogan is bogus.  Crust tastes like cardboard and toppings are sparse.

Anyway, just my two cents...

Will be nice to go to games and be able to buy a different brand of pizza that actually looks and tastes like pizza.

Imo outta all the chain pizzas I think papa John's tastes the best.. Pizza hut is straight garbage and Domino's hasn't been the same since the 90's

9 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Man I feel bad for all you guys that don’t live in the Chicagoland area. I can’t imagine actually having to order Papa Johns, dominos or Pizza Hut as my sources of pizza

Thankfully, Brownsburg has a Donatos, I love their thin crust. It is a tad more expensive but I feel it is made better. Just my opinion, of course. :) 

They did open a Giordano's in Castleton and lots of Mom and Pop stores make better pizza sometimes. Every now and then, I will try a gluten free pizza. Of all the gluten free pizzas I tasted, the Rockstar pizza in Avon/Brownsburg has got the recipe down good. 

17 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Man I feel bad for all you guys that don’t live in the Chicagoland area. I can’t imagine actually having to order Papa Johns, dominos or Pizza Hut as my sources of pizza

There are 5 places that serve Pizza in Princeton and that gets close to 20 when you include the whole Tri-State and that is not including PH, PJ, and D

18 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I haven’t eaten PJ since s my parent’s retired teaching

I wonder if anyone on this forum doesn't already know that your parents were teachers and you come from a "teaching" background. Not a knock on you or anything, I just think I read a comment or two per day that relates to teaching. haha

I've always been a big fan of Pizza Hut. Dick Freeland franchise spoiled us. Freshly made dough every morning and fresh cut vegetables every day. Always tasted so much better than other Pizza Huts outside of northern Indiana.

1 minute ago, pgt_rob said:

I wonder if anyone on this forum doesn't already know that your parents were teachers and you come from a "teaching" background. Not a knock on you or anything, I just think I read a comment or two per day that relates to teaching. haha

I've always been a big fan of Pizza Hut. Dick Freeland franchise spoiled us. Freshly made dough every morning and fresh cut vegetables every day. Always tasted so much better than other Pizza Huts outside of northern Indiana.

Teaching/coaching is my life

23 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Thankfully, Brownsburg has a Donatos, I love their thin crust. It is a tad more expensive but I feel it is made better. Just my opinion, of course. :) 

They did open a Giordano's in Castleton and lots of Mom and Pop stores make better pizza sometimes. Every now and then, I will try a gluten free pizza. Of all the gluten free pizzas I tasted, the Rockstar pizza in Avon/Brownsburg has got the recipe down good. 

If you live in the burg,   why aren't you eating Panoonys??  

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I must be missing it every time I drive by the Brownsburg Animal Clinic next door, probably because it blends in with the gas station. I should check it out.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Anyone who does not think it is related to the NFL signing Pizza Hut after dropping Papa John's is crazy. 

Such a sensitive world we live in, IMO. Everyone is looking for the next thing to get offended by, that is why I don't have a FB or Twitter account. People can twist anything to get offended.

This is absolutely right.  The NFL I swear is terrified of being honest with itself.  Players kneel for the national anthem and the NFL lets it happen and it becomes the story of 2016 along with Kaepernick as the protest leader (I guess).  Anyway, opinions are polarized the second it happens and the NFL says nothing.  2017 TV ratings are down and attendance is embarrassing.  The NFL is like, the "kneeling isn't related" and "the TV ratings are out of context."  All the while, you can see in any given shot of football, the upper deck is dotted with fans as if there was 5 minutes left in a 49-0 blowout.  I know of several people personally who refused to watch football on TV because of the protest.  

Papa John's comes in and basically says what we're all thinking, which is that the NFL let this all happen around them and because the ratings and attendance are down, sales of Papa John's pizza have taken a big hit as well.  Of course, the white supremacist knuckleheads applaud John and he resigns as CEO.  Those guys just came out of nowhere, but the rest, as they say, is history. 

I love football and watching the NFL, and I have defended Goodell in how he's handled some of the more controversial issues that have come up - bounty gate, deflate gate, 2011 lockout, the brain damage settlement - but he has dropped the ball on this one.  For a commissioner who has a no-nonsense approach to player conduct, refusing to acknowledge the protest as hurting the league image is really just nonsensical.  You can address it without supporting one side or the other, if for no other reason than he can use it as leverage in the negotiations for the next CBA.  But to say nothing is absolutely the worst thing you can do.

20 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I have not had that place yet and I'm told it's borderline criminal.  I near the county line, technically Indianapolis, but we go to Avon when we need groceries or whatever and there's this place on Rockville Rd. called Magoo's California Pizza.  I'm generally a thick-crust-all-meat-all-day kind of pizza guy, but that place is pretty damn good.

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

This is absolutely right.  The NFL I swear is terrified of being honest with itself.  Players kneel for the national anthem and the NFL lets it happen and it becomes the story of 2016 along with Kaepernick as the protest leader (I guess).  Anyway, opinions are polarized the second it happens and the NFL says nothing.  2017 TV ratings are down and attendance is embarrassing.  The NFL is like, the "kneeling isn't related" and "the TV ratings are out of context."  All the while, you can see in any given shot of football, the upper deck is dotted with fans as if there was 5 minutes left in a 49-0 blowout.  I know of several people personally who refused to watch football on TV because of the protest.  

Papa John's comes in and basically says what we're all thinking, which is that the NFL let this all happen around them and because the ratings and attendance are down, sales of Papa John's pizza have taken a big hit as well.  Of course, the white supremacist knuckleheads applaud John and he resigns as CEO.  Those guys just came out of nowhere, but the rest, as they say, is history. 

I love football and watching the NFL, and I have defended Goodell in how he's handled some of the more controversial issues that have come up - bounty gate, deflate gate, 2011 lockout, the brain damage settlement - but he has dropped the ball on this one.  For a commissioner who has a no-nonsense approach to player conduct, refusing to acknowledge the protest as hurting the league image is really just nonsensical.  You can address it without supporting one side or the other, if for no other reason than he can use it as leverage in the negotiations for the next CBA.  But to say nothing is absolutely the worst thing you can do.

Goodell is intimidated on this.  He can pick on a player for punching his wife in an elevator because he has the vocal intimidation crowd behind him.  He wasn't intimidated about Rice or Elliott. 

Here, the vocal intimidation crowd is on the side of the protesters.

It's just another intimidation-for-gain ploy.  What size check the the NFL pay certain groups?

Goodell should have called it out, but being a typical Corporatist, he doesn't know how.

And yes, if ratings are down then pizza commercials have less visibility.  A certain logic, but I'm not sure it the cause.

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

Pappa Johns sucks, Pizza Hut sucks, Domino's sucks as do all corporate chain pizza makers. Shocking that anyone eats that trash.

The high end pizza chains like Jet's Pizza or Blaze Pizza aren't available to everyone. 

Regardless he sold the stores he once owned if he still is a spokesperson for PJ he's still with them just doesn't own stores.

My opinion is the only way you should be eating a chain pizza is if your in college. If your poor you can make your own cheaper and better. That said every town has a hole in the wall pizza place or Mom and pops that uses fresh ingredients and perhaps wood fire etc etc but it’s a travesty what has happened to chains over the years. 

As for the kneeling...awfully handled no leadership at all. Doubt it caused the majority of Papa Johns lost sales but at the very least the NFL should have just went back to like 2006 where teams stayed in the locker room during the anthem. The NFL is it’s own worst enemy with how it’s run, it’s rules, horrible scheduling...I’m still amazed I even still watch myself.

6 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I don't I order at a place called Piezano's and get an around the world = everything on it. That smokes those 3 pizza places. They deliver as well.

-Donatos is Good as well and they deliver. I just get Pep and Sausage on theirs. They are a thin crust.

20 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Man I feel bad for all you guys living in the Chicagoland area, just because you do.

I'm from Chicagoland, BTW.

There's plenty of good pizza here, they're just talking about the chain pizzas which are underwhelming all around the country. We have a Giordano's, and Aurelio's, but no Gino's East, or Lou's, yet. Some pretty good similar pizza's, though.

We haven't tried Donato's yet, though. I'd though it was just another pizza chain.

1 minute ago, buccolts said:

Man I feel bad for all you guys living in the Chicagoland area, just because you do.

There's plenty of good pizza here, they're just talking about the chain pizzas which are underwhelming all around the country. We have a Giordano's, and Aurelio's, but no Gino's East, or Lou's, yet. Some pretty good similar pizza's, though.

We haven't tried Donato's yet, though. I'd though it was just another pizza chain.

I love Aurelio's, that stuff rules! Pep, Sausage, extra Cheese!

Gino's East opened two restaurants in the Houston area and both left town after about a year. Sorry to see them go. Houston does finally have some good places but I was born and raised in the Chicago suburbs and pizza is the only thing I miss.

4 hours ago, buccolts said:

East of Chicago Pizza? 

:peek:

On March 7, 2018 at 12:04 PM, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Imo outta all the chain pizzas I think papa John's tastes the best.. Pizza hut is straight garbage and Domino's hasn't been the same since the 90's

I've heard a lot of people say unflattering things about papa johns pizza. I used to eat PJ frequently getting my 1st MA in US history. Back then in the 2000's, I thought it was pretty good. Pepperoni & pineapple pizza was my favorite. I don't live near a pizza joint now except Pizza Hut which is horrible & so greasy I think you could do an oil change with it just by removing 1 slice from the cardboard box. 

I will admit that I haven't tasted PJ's in a long time so, to be fair, I have no idea what their quality control standards are now. Pizza Hut is atrocious though & you can quote me on that. 

Dominoes was dirt cheap when I was a Freshmen in college & their pizzas were blah. You get what you pay for right? 

On March 7, 2018 at 6:39 PM, dgambill said:

My opinion is the only way you should be eating a chain pizza is if your in college. If your poor you can make your own cheaper and better

I'm with ya on the broke college school angle in terms of doing the pizza chain thing DGB. However, pizza is the 1 food that shouldn't be self made ever because it's designed for speed & convenience not a family bonding experience like coloring easter eggs or putting up a Christmas tree in December etc. 

Besides, people don't cook anymore & by the time you buy separate ingredients, you're not really saving money in the end. 

25 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I'm with ya on the broke college school angle in terms of doing the pizza chain thing DGB. However, pizza is the 1 food that shouldn't be self made ever because it's designed for speed & convenience not a family bonding experience like coloring easter eggs or putting up a Christmas tree in December etc. 

Besides, people don't cook anymore & by the time you buy separate ingredients, you're not really saving money in the end. 

I beg to differ. Have you ever made a pizza on a big green egg? Trust me if you have a good butcher shop and fresh ingredients...it doesn’t take that long nor is it terribly expensive and far superior to chain. That said we only do it with family because we have a wonderful pizza shop nearby but if I had to eat Pizza Hut...naw I’d rather make my own.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I beg to differ. Have you ever made a pizza on a big green egg? Trust me if you have a good butcher shop and fresh ingredients...it doesn’t take that long nor is it terribly expensive and far superior to chain. That said we only do it with family because we have a wonderful pizza shop nearby but if I had to eat Pizza Hut...naw I’d rather make my own.

Okay. I don't live anywhere near a butcher shop nor have I sampled pizza on a big green egg before. Apparently, I'm missing out. Major bummer. I'm glad your family gets to partake in this tasty experience DGB. 

I merely meant if you drove to a local grocery store it would be cheaper to buy a pizza in the frozen section then to purchase separate ingredients, go home, make it, & throw it into the oven. DiGiorno Garlic Pizza with pepperoni is delicious enough for me I guess. 

If I was ever in your neighborhood, I'd be happy to let you try & convert me in person. I'm a low to no maintenance guy I guess. Thanks for your feedback DGB. :hat:

I miss a local place on the southside called Pizza depot. I've at all the chains including Little Caesars. I usually bought Papa Johns after a colts win to get everything at half price. Jets is too over priced though. I go like Pizza King . I havent had pizza hut in a while but do remember the " Bigfoot" pizzas being pretty awesome.

12 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Okay. I don't live anywhere near a butcher shop nor have I sampled pizza on a big green egg before. Apparently, I'm missing out. Major bummer. I'm glad your family gets to partake in this tasty experience DGB. 

I merely meant if you drove to a local grocery store it would be cheaper to buy a pizza in the frozen section then to purchase separate ingredients, go home, make it, & throw it into the oven. DiGiorno Garlic Pizza with pepperoni is delicious enough for me I guess. 

If I was ever in your neighborhood, I'd be happy to let you try & convert me in person. I'm a low to no maintenance guy I guess. Thanks for your feedback DGB. :hat:

No worries....I've never truly added it up...because a lot of the stuff I keep on hand. We have some nice grocers  down here and you can pick up the dough in the refridgerated section and sauce and have some meats special cut...throw some olive oil and mushrooms and mozzarella on there....fire it up....much better then pizza hut. I agree it isn't something we do often but during the summer when we are cooking out a lot and we have a party etc the egg is pretty sweet....and yeah it might not be the greatest you ever had but it is far and away better then any frozen, gas station or chain delivered pizza. You are more than welcome to stop on by any game day....hit me up PM!! :thmup: