Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Indianapolis Colts have been linked to Falcons DT Dontari Poe

If he's available at a reasonable cost (on the low end), definitely wouldn't hurt.

He wouldn't be one of those 'body' type signings. He could definitely help.

This aspect of Ballard I'm liking, got Hankins and Woods last year and still looking for further reinforcements inside. That's never a bad thing around here. So many years of getting gashed up the middle. Throw in a pass rusher and pickup one of these good looking LB's in the draft and you start to see signs of a competitive defense being built.

I expect the Colts to be linked to most FAs...it's just good business for the agents to have it seem like a cap-rich team like the Colts are involved.

But while the DT is the strongest group on the Colts, I am not against making a move there at the right cost. Ideally, the Colts need someone that can get after the QB. There really isn't anyone like that available, but there are a handful of good DTs available this offseason. Ballard should just wait it out and see if he can get one of them for a reasonable deal.

Why are people here concerned with cost?  Ballard is smart enough to know how to work the cap, which BTW is at an all time high of 177M.  Paying him isn't going to stop the Colts from picking up a couple other high paid FA's.

We should only care if he can help the team.  Which he obviously can. 

Imagine him and Big Jon pushing that center into the QBs face. 

31 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Why are people here concerned with cost?  Ballard is smart enough to know how to work the cap, which BTW is at an all time high of 177M.  Paying him isn't going to stop the Colts from picking up a couple other high paid FA's.

We should only care if he can help the team.  Which he obviously can. 

Imagine him and Big Jon pushing that center into the QBs face. 

There's always an opportunity cost, even with a ton of cap space. I wouldn't mind a DT upgrade, but it's not a priority at this point, which is why I would like to see Ballard wait it out a bit.

39 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Poe ”burned” his bridge last year

Why's that?  I don't remember him dissing the Colts, he just went for the better opportunity.  He had a 'show me' deal with Atlanta, and he showed them.  In effect, he bet on himself and won.

3 best team fits for Dontari Poe:

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/3-best-team-fits-for-dontari-poe/

Indianapolis Colts

The Colts struggled mightily in 2017, ranking No. 31 in the NFL in sacks. While Poe had just 2.5 sacks last season and only 15.5 for his career, the push that he gets in the middle helps open things up for the pass rushers. If the Colts wind up drafting N.C. State DE Bradley Chubb in the first round fo the 2018 NFL Draft, pairing him with Poe could be an ideal fit.

Not only would Poe open things up for Chubb, but also for any other potential pass rushers the Colts bring to town. The Colts certainly have the money to spend, so this pairing almost makes too much sense. Realistically, this is probably the most likely destination for the free agent.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/03/06/nfl-rumors-dontari-poe-huge-market-waiting-free-agency/

NFL rumors: Dontari Poe has “huge market” waiting in free agency

Free-Agent News

As teams leave the combine, this is what most think will happen starting March 12:

- Just about everyone believes linebacker Anthony Hitchens will end up with the Indianapolis Colts.

- There is going to be a huge market for Dontari Poe, and there are a number of teams he could end up with.

- The belief is that Andrew Norwell to the New York Giants is a “done deal.”

- The same is being said about Kirk Cousins to the Minnesota Vikings- "done deal."

25 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/03/06/nfl-rumors-dontari-poe-huge-market-waiting-free-agency/

NFL rumors: Dontari Poe has “huge market” waiting in free agency

Free-Agent News

As teams leave the combine, this is what most think will happen starting March 12:

- Just about everyone believes linebacker Anthony Hitchens will end up with the Indianapolis Colts.

- There is going to be a huge market for Dontari Poe, and there are a number of teams he could end up with.

- The belief is that Andrew Norwell to the New York Giants is a “done deal.”

- The same is being said about Kirk Cousins to the Minnesota Vikings- "done deal."

I'd love to end up with all three.  Norwell would be #1 on my list.  Maybe his buddy Jack should talk to him (although he may be gone too).

27 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

He's mean. Suh and Chubb. Omg that's nasty.

Wouldn't mind Suh as hes still pretty productive. Problem is that large contract. Not sure if there's a way to make it team friendly.

I'm ok with that ... for a bargain price. Otherwise, no thanks. The Colts still has holes all over the roster, they need to spend their money on those spots, not on the strongest unit they have.

78 mills are not that much, when you start to spend it. Ballard HAS to carry some over the next year (as he did last year from much less), because he has to prepare to pay his guys if he believes he can bring in talents. And he does.

So there's cca 60-65-ish to spend. We pick high, so the draft will cost around 10. Then Ballard will need to sign Melvin or a corner who'll cost at least as much. Then he'll need to sign some small dollar free agents to round up the roster. Plus he will need to keep some for mid-season moves.

So, that 78 in reality is rather 40-45-ish. Guys like Landry / A-Rod / Norwell demand a lot, so that money can drop quickly and significantly signing one (or two) of them. So even 6-7 mills (which i think Poe's absolute floor value is) do and will count.

On 3/6/2018 at 10:21 AM, IinD said:

If he's available at a reasonable cost (on the low end), definitely wouldn't hurt.

He wouldn't be one of those 'body' type signings. He could definitely help.

This aspect of Ballard I'm liking, got Hankins and Woods last year and still looking for further reinforcements inside. That's never a bad thing around here. So many years of getting gashed up the middle. Throw in a pass rusher and pickup one of these good looking LB's in the draft and you start to see signs of a competitive defense being built.

Polian said inside pressure was something the Colts were missing, until they got Booger.

Poe doesn’t make sense to me. Hankins, Woods and Stewart, together with a draft pick can provide a stout defensive interior.

Rather see them spend money elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Polian said inside pressure was something the Colts were missing, until they got Booger.

Poe doesn’t make sense to me. Hankins, Woods and Stewart, together with a draft pick can provide a stout defensive interior.

Rather see them spend money elsewhere. 

I can understand that thinking.

I just like he'll still kick the tires at a supposed solid position.

We all know that we're one Hankins/Woods injury from getting gashed again so that's why I don't mind it honestly.

Poe's still a good player. The Defense needs more good players. Plus if Hankins or Woods goes down, the line is no where near as strong. Grover Stewart still has some developing to do. Hassan Ridgeway has shown flashes but not enough to carry. We still gotta see how Henry Anderson will do at DT.

20 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

I'm ok with that ... for a bargain price. Otherwise, no thanks. The Colts still has holes all over the roster, they need to spend their money on those spots, not on the strongest unit they have.

78 mills are not that much, when you start to spend it. Ballard HAS to carry some over the next year (as he did last year from much less), because he has to prepare to pay his guys if he believes he can bring in talents. And he does.

So there's cca 60-65-ish to spend. We pick high, so the draft will cost around 10. Then Ballard will need to sign Melvin or a corner who'll cost at least as much. Then he'll need to sign some small dollar free agents to round up the roster. Plus he will need to keep some for mid-season moves.

So, that 78 in reality is rather 40-45-ish. Guys like Landry / A-Rod / Norwell demand a lot, so that money can drop quickly and significantly signing one (or two) of them. So even 6-7 mills (which i think Poe's absolute floor value is) do and will count.

I enjoy your input.  You are a good poster one here

Glad you understand that the 76 million is not "liquid".   We have about 58 million in actual spending money. 

Here is a break down from from one of the guys on my website.    He is closer than most people in the media and on this board with his projections because he does take everything into consideration.  I can't post my website as a link because I will get out in timeout again 

$177.200m = 2018 NFL Salary Cap
$016.837m = 2017 Colts Cap Rollover
==========
$194.037m = 2018 Colts Salary Cap

$118.380m = Top 51 Current Contracts
$001.110m = Spots 52/53 on Active Roster
$001.779m = Dead Money
$009.877m = Projected Draft Pool (#3 overall is expensive...)
$001.200m = 10-man Practice Squad
$003.000m = In-Season "Churn" Space
==========
$135.346m = 2018 Cap Obligations

$058.691m = Free Cap Space to spend on Free Agents

9 hours ago, IinD said:

I can understand that thinking.

I just like he'll still kick the tires at a supposed solid position.

We all know that we're one Hankins/Woods injury from getting gashed again so that's why I don't mind it honestly.

Good point. I guess it comes down to how much money he wants. Ballard has stated that he will build from the trenches out. 

I do hope we acquire some difference makers in FA, although I prefer the way Ballard is doing things, (primarily via the draft) than trying to build a team largely from FA.