Hilton's stats among Marv's and Reggie's

CR91

6 year stats for TY Hilton

431 catches 6.827 yards receiving 15.4 average  yardage per catch 34 tds

6 year stats for Reggie

390 catches 5,474 yards receiving 13.88 average yardage per catch 37 tds

6 year stats for Marv

522 catches 7,078 yards receiving 13.44 average yardage per catch 62 tds

Are we ever gonna look at Hilton in the same light as Marv and Reggie? 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hilton seems to get shut out a lot more than Marvin and Reggie, then he has a big game to pad the numbers.

He is a good receiver but Marvin was one of the best. You just need to compare his TD numbers to Hilton. 

1 hour ago, Alex22 said:

Hilton seems to get shut out a lot more than Marvin and Reggie, then he has a big game to pad the numbers.

He is a good receiver but Marvin was one of the best. You just need to compare his TD numbers to Hilton. 

Marvin got consistently shut out in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Narcosys said:

Marvin got consistently shut out in the playoffs. 

Pretty narrow minded comment to make when you look at the total team numbers in the playoffs. Out of the 10 total years of Marvs career playoffs the Colts were one and done 7 times.

When your QB (Harbaugh-Manning) are shut out common sense will say the receivers numbers are not going to look good. If you look at the playoffs where the Colts didn't go one and done you will noticed his numbers are real nice.

Reggie Wayne had a great cast around him without question, but has done more for the Colts than Marvin or TY has.  

TY Hilton would do wonders with another big target(s) in the lineup, especially now that Frank Gore is gone. As far as wide outs go, I like WR Auden Tate (Florida State) in the 4th round range. 

This is hasn’t been mentioned on the forums yet, but I hope the Colts go after TE Jimmy Graham in free agency. 

40 minutes ago, Jaredfor3 said:

TY Hilton would do wonders with another big target(s) in the lineup

Amen! I didn't think the numbers were that close. But hasn't TY lead the league a couple times in yards. I don't even know how haha. But i'm glad. We NEED a big WR on the other side. 

6 hours ago, Alex22 said:

Marvin you could say didn’t do well in playoffs, can we compare the seasons that Marvin had vs what TY has done in his time? There is no doubt that Marvin is one of the top wr’s we’ve ever had to combo with one of the top qb’s the league has ever seen to couple with a coaching staff that had the same OC and system for how many years. We also had an online with Tarik and others with a running back (Edge) who made defenses worry about the backfield as much as the receiver patterns. How many teams since TY has been here have had to worry about our online busting holes for any of our rb’s to get through and take just a smidge of pressure off TY? Who has been TY’s Wayne? 

I think if we are just going to say that TY is padding his stats by having one huge game and the next a down game (disappears) we should also pull up the games of the comparison of Marvin to see how many yards Marvin’s was able to pad any stats and then a down game. 

Im not saying going to say whether TY is better or worse than Marvin, as circumstances often are different to each player, but I’d also like to see fair comparisons of the games we are looking at in the comparisons. You can always twist stats to make them tell you the story you want. (Not you specifically in this statement). 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pretty narrow minded comment to make when you look at the total team numbers in the playoffs. Out of the 10 total years of Marvs career playoffs the Colts were one and done 7 times.

When your QB (Harbaugh-Manning) are shut out common sense will say the receivers numbers are not going to look good. If you look at the playoffs where the Colts didn't go one and done you will noticed his numbers are real nice.

Um, you say the offense has been shut out 7-10 Marvin years and then say the comment is narrow minded? Wouldn’t that argument lend to the point the guy just made that Marvin struggled in the playoffs? Had the wr’s been open more, more points would have been scored and more wins obtained. We went 3 and out a lot during those playoff runs to go 1 and done in the playoffs. Again, TY is as good for this team now as the Marvin and Wayne was for the teams back then. Ty has much less around him too then the others did also. 

1 hour ago, Jaredfor3 said:

Reggie Wayne had a great cast around him without question, but has done more for the Colts than Marvin or TY has.  

TY Hilton would do wonders with another big target(s) in the lineup, especially now that Frank Gore is gone. As far as wide outs go, I like WR Auden Tate (Florida State) in the 4th round range. 

This is hasn’t been mentioned on the forums yet, but I hope the Colts go after TE Jimmy Graham in free agency. 

Reggie didnt do more then marvin what are you saying bro

18 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Um, you say the offense has been shut out 7-10 Marvin years and then say the comment is narrow minded? Wouldn’t that argument lend to the point the guy just made that Marvin struggled in the playoffs? Had the wr’s been open more, more points would have been scored and more wins obtained. We went 3 and out a lot during those playoff runs to go 1 and done in the playoffs. Again, TY is as good for this team now as the Marvin and Wayne was for the teams back then. Ty has much less around him too then the others did also. 

I see you don't know much about Harrison at all. Pointing a finger at him and say he wasn't getting open shows your lack of knowledge about his capabilities.

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I see you don't know much about Harrison at all. Pointing a finger at him and say he wasn't getting open shows your lack of knowledge about his capabilities.

LOl. Super awesome rebuttal on the topic. Shows your superior talent of all that knowledge you are carrying. Btw, read the post I made and try to comprehend it first before you make such stupid replies depicting someone having lack of knowledge. My lord!

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

LOl. Super awesome rebuttal on the topic. Shows your superior talent of all that knowledge you are carrying. Btw, read the post I made and try to comprehend it first before you make such stupid replies depicting someone having lack of knowledge. My lord!

NO, it means the whole Colts team was shut down. It's not rocket science.

Marvin.  And its not that close

for me.

i think part of this thread shows that many Colt fans didnt witness the Marvin years. Us older farts do, but many here were in diapers.

and the think his knee trouble at the end skewed the perspective of some.  Unfortunately, most people remember the last thing they saw.  I just dont think Reggie or TY put the FEAR into DBs like Marvin. All are solid, but Marvin was on another level (at least in these eyes)

21 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

for me.

i think part of this thread shows that many Colt fans didnt witness the Marvin years. Us older farts do, but many here were in diapers.

and the think his knee trouble at the end skewed the perspective of some.  Unfortunately, most people remember the last thing they saw.  I just dont think Reggie or TY put the FEAR into DBs like Marvin. All are solid, but Marvin was on another level (at least in these eyes)

There were plenty of games where you could feel the dread of the opposing corner lol. And all Marvin would have to do is give a nod and the corner wouldn't know what that nod meant because that nod would change every freaking play and then the magic would happen.  Never again are we ever going to witness the greatness Manning and Harrison had. It'll never be replicated. 

8 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Sweet TY video there CR91! His kids seem to be a chip off the old block.

Asking me to play favorites among Marvin, Reggie, & TY is like asking me which of my nephews is the coolest. I can't do it. 

We all know Francis is the favorite nephew :) jj

3 hours ago, Jaredfor3 said:

brought it up awhile bck but yea

53 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

for me.

I’m an old fart who watched all of those Manning to Marvin games and while I don’t disagree that those were some of the greatest years I’ve seen as a fan, I think if we were able to place TY into the same system/era, I think we may all be sitting here saying similar things about Ty vs Marvin if the years were swapped around. 

I dont recall seeing anyone here say anything that wasnt true about either guy. TY has succeeded quite well with the limited threats this team has had and there is no dispute that Marvin had a much much better cast around him than TY has had so far. If only we could give TY a similar running threat that Marvin had, I’m not sure this thread even exists. It’s quite possible though to believe that both Marvin and TY are pretty good players in their years. 

The NFL changed the physical contact rules for receivers because of Marvin Harrison getting Mugged by the Patriots in the Playoffs. It made League Darling Payme Manning look bad.
 Harrison and Reggie were Master Craftsmen route runners when it was much harder to separate from DB's.
 TY just floats around out there, turning on the burners when appropriate. If he played when Marvin did he would have been a situational, 3rd downer and return man. TY who?

Love all three guys. Marvin>Reggie>TY. But TY could years from now overtake Wayne in my eyes with a stellar Luck returning. WRs are reliant on QB play, as well as the teams offensive identity. Marvin obviously was very fortunate to play with Manning but both players complimented eachother. TY can still be the best of the three all time statistically, that reliant on things going great with Ballard and Reich...

I don't even want to revisit the 'trade TY thread, but he's one of those guys fans can't seem to fully love.

No idea why, he's a stud. No one is on every game, minus a guy like Peyton. That's rare.

If we somehow get a legit WR threat opposite him, he'd destroy defenses. Not beat them, destroy them.

He's accomplished a lot and hasn't had Luck the entire time to throw to him. 

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

The NFL needs more orange gloves! 

Uh huh. Orange gloves do rock. Plus, whenever Chargers WRs wear yellow gloves, sometimes I think a penalty flag has been thrown on a tough catch whenever INDY plays them. 

29 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

The NFL changed the physical contact rules for receivers because of Marvin Harrison getting Mugged by the Patriots in the Playoffs. It made League Darling Payme Manning look bad.
 Harrison and Reggie were Master Craftsmen route runners when it was much harder to separate from DB's.
 TY just floats around out there, turning on the burners when appropriate. If he played when Marvin did he would have been a situational, 3rd downer and return man. TY who?

Lol....wut?

I think better comp would be how they rank against their peers for their respective first 6 seasons in the league, as passing rules have changed quite a bit since Marv's and Reggies early years. I set a cutoff of 200 catches and 50 games for better yards per catch comp.

Harrison: catches (t-3rd), yards (3rd), yards per catch (34th), TDs (2nd) 

Wayne: catches (t-16th), yards (16th), yards per catch (24th), TDs (11th) 

Hilton: catches (8th), yards (5th), yards per catch (5th), TDs (16th) 

10 hours ago, Alex22 said:

I would argue that the level of competition Hilton plays against is higher than Marvins. Also It was other weapons on the field with Marvin. Hilton doesn't have that luxury at the moment.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

e06384d7e9b665c6123b08a245c12481

19d2ou.jpg

12 hours ago, CR91 said:

6 year stats for TY Hilton

431 catches 6.827 yards receiving 15.4 average  yardage per catch 34 tds

6 year stats for Reggie

390 catches 5,474 yards receiving 13.88 average yardage per catch 37 tds

6 year stats for Marv

522 catches 7,078 yards receiving 13.44 average yardage per catch 62 tds

Are we ever gonna look at Hilton in the same light as Marv and Reggie? 

Goodness!  62 TD's for Marv. That is why he is a hall of famer

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

True. The entire offense usually struggled in the post-season. Even the year they won the SB, Manning's passing stats were bad. Colts won those three post season games on the legs of Addai / Rhodes.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not really. Marvin could not get separation and get open consistently in the playoffs. A QB relies on his receivers. He can have great protection but won't matter if receivers cant get open. Mannings release was quick enough that protection wasn't as much of a concern.

This is not something that is controversial, it is well known and commonly said on this forum for years. 

Out of the 15 playoff games, only 3 games manning was sacked 3 or more times.

Marvin did not show up in the playoffs.

Been a long time time Colts fan prior to Marvin. Marvin has the amazing numbers, great catches, speed, route running, etc...Heck he is a Hall of farmer!  Marvin Harrison made the Colts a relevant team. 

Reggie to me had a similar career to Hines Ward for the Steelers. They delievered when their number was called and they were “tough” players. That and they produced in both the regular and postseason. 

Hard comparison..how often was Manning not playing thier first 6 years together? 2. Manning pretty much ran his own offense that he knew benefits his receivers. 3. Peyton manning. 4. Peyton Manning reader of all defenses 5. Hilton has never had ELITE help at the WR position besides a near old Reggie (who was still great) fleener nor allen was a Dallas Clark..we def didn’t have an Edge James for Hilton..nor slot receivers like Stokely. It’s easy to take Hilton out yes it works that way when you’re not schemed to get open and the defense only has to worry and focus about you because A. You’re the only threat at receiver. B. There’s no Luck. Lol and let’s not forget Marv got continuously Locked Up in the playoffs WITH Manning as his Qb. I don’t think Hilton would match thier TD scores in a Manning led offense but he’d be at least like 40+ tds with the speed and above average route running he learned from Reggie 

34 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Not really. Marvin could not get separation and get open consistently in the playoffs. A QB relies on his receivers. He can have great protection but won't matter if receivers cant get open. Mannings release was quick enough that protection wasn't as much of a concern.

This is not something that is controversial, it is well known and commonly said on this forum for years. 

Out of the 15 playoff games, only 3 games manning was sacked 3 or more times.

Marvin did not show up in the playoffs.

I am sorry you cant see the truth because of your narrow minded opinion. You look at the playoffs games where they won you will notice some pretty impressive numbers from Harrison. The games where the whole offense didn't play well or were shut down common sense will show his numbers were down.

You can diss all you want to on the second best receiver in history all you care to, but I don't buy it.