Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Holder] Colts had no formal interviews with any of the QBs at the combine

stitches

IF Ballard was actually looking at QBs...I think he would keep that as close to the vest as possible...for so many reasons. And Ballard gets a pretty tight ship...as we have seen...so it's doubtful something leaks.

That being said, it's definitely good to hear that they didn't have any formal conversations at the Combine with all of the QBs there. There are still Pro Days though...and the Colts can have access at those under the guise of looking at other players.

Even if Luck isn't healthy, I truly believe we have a good QB in Jacoby Brissett. I think he preformed quite well last year all things considered. I think as a team we have much bigger needs than the QB position even if Luck isn't healthy. If Luck isn't healthy then look at a guy like Teddy Bridgewater to come in and be competition for Brissett. Just my opinion.

This is the single most encouraging news about Luck.

Sometimes it's not about what you do or say....    it's about what you DONT do or say.

As others in this thread have wisely noted...   this is Ballard's way of saying TWO things....

1.   He's confident in Luck.

2.   If anything goes wrong with Luck, Ballard is confident about Brissett.

This is good news for the Colts and their fans...

The Colts should interview every QB regardless so that other teams think something is up with Luck and other teams get scared the Colts might take a QB at 3....hence offering a King's ransom for the #3 pick. 

^but then everyone on this forum would go bananas because they'd take that as something wrong with Luck^ 

Yeah, nevermind. 

2 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

The Colts should interview every QB regardless so that other teams think something is up with Luck and other teams get scared the Colts might take a QB at 3....hence offering a King's ransom for the #3 pick. 

^but then everyone on this forum would go bananas because they'd take that as something wrong with Luck^ 

Yeah, nevermind. 

They have limited number of formal interviews they can do at the combine. that's why it doesn't make sense to waste their allotted interview slots to players they don't plan on drafting for smokescreen sake. Also, unless Luck is retiring I don't think any team would think we are taking a QB at 3. It makes no sense.  

20 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Yeah, nevermind. 

The Limited # of interviews hurts

Agree with NCF that this is very encouraging. I would bet dollars to donuts that we'd of interviewed 1 or 2 QBs if Luck were in any kind of danger of missing time during the season. This means we are grabbing Barkley, Chubb or Nelson, or trading down now. We can all breathe to an extent. Instead of arguing about Luck's health, we can debate some more about who we are taking in this year's class that isn't a QB.

I'd talk to Lamar Jackson...just in case he flames out at qb maybe we could use him down the line at another position....never know in 4 or 5 years one of these qbs could be back on the market and we may be looking for a back up to Luck. I like to do due diligence on as many people that I think I can...but if they are limited in time...and we have our starter and backup locked down....let's move on.

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

IF Ballard was actually looking at QBs...I think he would keep that as close to the vest as possible...for so many reasons. And Ballard gets a pretty tight ship...as we have seen...so it's doubtful something leaks.

That being said, it's definitely good to hear that they didn't have any formal conversations at the Combine with all of the QBs there. There are still Pro Days though...and the Colts can have access at those under the guise of looking at other players.

I agree. This report from Holder means nothing. They have plenty of time to interview QBs before the draft so there was no reason to interview them. If they would have interviewed them then it would leak out and open the door for more speculation. 

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Yeah, nevermind. 

Waste of interviews. Also, that wouldn't work as a smokescreen.

6 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Big mistake to not do. May need qb at 3 if ongoing luck shoulder saga remains on draft night.

I don't think there is much of a chance the Colts give up on Luck's shoulder issue by draft time. IMO , it would be the 2019 draft that this would be addressed if needed. 

6 hours ago, stitches said:

This is not a team that has serious worries about their starting QB IMO. 

Like the new pic.  That being said, the Colts have historically drafted guys whom there seemed to be little indication of Colts interest.  No specific examples are coming to mind, I just remember so many times in the past handful of drafts, the Colts passing on guys that they interviewed and taking guys whom no one reported the Colts had an interview with.  It's almost as though if the Colts interview a prospect, then you can cross him off the draft board.  That's obviously not going to be true all of the time, but it feels that way.  That being said, I don't see us taking a QB so I hope you're ultimately right.

On 3/5/2018 at 10:00 AM, stitches said:

This is not a team that has serious worries about their starting QB IMO. 

We should have interviews a few so we can give the illusion we "could" take a QB with the 3rd pick not it looks like no one has to worry about us taking one so that cuts down trade possibilities 

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:35 AM, NewColtsFan said:

This is the single most encouraging news about Luck.

Sometimes it's not about what you do or say....    it's about what you DONT do or say.

As others in this thread have wisely noted...   this is Ballard's way of saying TWO things....

1.   He's confident in Luck.

2.   If anything goes wrong with Luck, Ballard is confident about Brissett.

3. He needed time to interview every defensive player who even has a prayer of being good in the NFL

18 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

We should have interviews a few so we can give the illusion we "could" take a QB with the 3rd pick not it looks like no one has to worry about us taking one so that cuts down trade possibilities 

And what do you think the reaction of the fanbase would be if the Colts were to have interviewed the top Qbs in the draft, given the Luck situation?