Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

$30,000,000 for the QB

oldunclemark

That's what the talk of signing Kirk Cousins is coming to.  And he wants guaranteed money ...said to be $30 mil for 3 years

Denver, Jets, Vikings...need him...but is the price too high?

..and what do the Falcons pay Matt Ryan (who is in the final year of his deal in 2018) if Kirk gets $30 mil.?

Ryan is better than Cousins, isn't he?

Edited by oldunclemark

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

That's what the talk of signing Kirk Cousins is coming to.  And he wants guaranteed money ...said to be $30 mil for 3 years

Denver, Jets, Vikings...need him...but is the price too high?

..and what do the Falcons pay Matt Ryan (who is in the final year of his deal in 2018) if Kirk gets $30 mil.?

Ryan is better than Cousins, isn't he?

I hope it won't be the Vikings. $30 million is for elite QBs. Cousins is not elite. He is good and I like him but not at more than $22 million.

You follow the Broncos. Do you think they have enough to get Cousins?

38 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I hope it won't be the Vikings. $30 million is for elite QBs. Cousins is not elite. He is good and I like him but not at more than $22 million.

You follow the Broncos. Do you think they have enough to get Cousins?

NFL...If its 30 mil guaranteed..for 3 years ..and he wont come off that...I think Denver is out because they've still got Von Miller at $20 mil and Demariyus Thomas at $15 mil.

I wonder if the $30 mil number is just a trial balloon...and he'd take a rising salary of maybe $20 mil (year one), 25 mil (year 2) and 30 mil (year 3)

Teams can pay $30 mil in one year but I dont know who can lay down $30 mil in guaranteed cash 3 years in a row to a guy who, as you say, is good but not a player like Aaron Rodgers

3 hours ago, BOTT said:

Aaron Rodgers just put a down payment on Hawaii.

I'm reading GB web sites where they're talking about an extension for Rodgers (I think he has 2 years left on his deal) and I don't know how many loans they'll have to take out to open that bidding.

But he's certainly in the $25-$30 mil range

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

I'm reading GB web sites where they're talking about an extension for Rodgers (I think he has 2 years left on his deal) and I don't know how many loans they'll have to take out to open that bidding.

But he's certainly in the $25-$30 mil range

The town might be mortgaged

13 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

NFL...If its 30 mil guaranteed..for 3 years ..and he wont come off that...I think Denver is out because they've still got Von Miller at $20 mil and Demariyus Thomas at $15 mil.

I wonder if the $30 mil number is just a trial balloon...and he'd take a rising salary of maybe $20 mil (year one), 25 mil (year 2) and 30 mil (year 3)

Teams can pay $30 mil in one year but I dont know who can lay down $30 mil in guaranteed cash 3 years in a row to a guy who, as you say, is good but not a player like Aaron Rodgers

Here are some details for you (from an old post of mine):

1. Menelik Watson = saves 6.1M$ (high chance of being cut)
  2. Talib = most probable as he has the most value of all via trade = saves 11M$ in 2018 with dead cap of $1mil.
  3. Sanders = less stats (yards, TDs, snap%) than DT, potential for lower trade = saves 5.5M$
  4. DT = more productive than Sanders, has produced big time numbers under a better QB = saves 7.6 M$
  5. CJ = most productive offensive player in 2017 (1.200 + total yards, 1 lost fumble): cap hit #23 in the NFL despite having a top 10 season, but will have the 12th highest cap hit for RB in 2018 (before any other RB contracts are done, 1st round drafted player will cost more than him) = saves 4.5M$
  6. Domata Peko = 3.7M$ saved

If they get rid of Watson, Talib, DT/CJ and Peko, they clear up about $27 plus mil. to make room for Cousins. So, yes, they can definitely make it work if they want to. Yes, they are looking to trade or cut Talib.

Can't wait for March 14th, right? :) 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Here are some details for you (from an old post of mine):

1. Menelik Watson = saves 6.1M$ (high chance of being cut)
  2. Talib = most probable as he has the most value of all via trade = saves 11M$ in 2018 with dead cap of $1mil.
  3. Sanders = less stats (yards, TDs, snap%) than DT, potential for lower trade = saves 5.5M$
  4. DT = more productive than Sanders, has produced big time numbers under a better QB = saves 7.6 M$
  5. CJ = most productive offensive player in 2017 (1.200 + total yards, 1 lost fumble): cap hit #23 in the NFL despite having a top 10 season, but will have the 12th highest cap hit for RB in 2018 (before any other RB contracts are done, 1st round drafted player will cost more than him) = saves 4.5M$
  6. Domata Peko = 3.7M$ saved

If they get rid of Watson, Talib, DT/CJ and Peko, they clear up about $27 plus mil. to make room for Cousins. So, yes, they can definitely make it work if they want to. Yes, they are looking to trade or cut Talib.

Chad...all true (why theyre keeping Watson, I don't know) but the problem is:  The next 2 years.

If they cut or trade Anderson and Talib, it wont hurt the team much and they can fit in Cousins this year

But if Kirk really gets $30 mi guaranteed for 2019 and 2020, Denver would be unable to sign people..

They have OLB Shane Ray still on his rookie deal...2 of their 3 safeties are on rookie deals that are up in 2 years..

They'd handcuff themselves...and would be forced to play some low cost rookies or free agents

...the irony of Thomas and Sanders...Elway HAS TO keep the high price veteran receivers other wise why would a free agent QB come to Denver?

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Chad...all true (why theyre keeping Watson, I don't know) but the problem is:  The next 2 years.

If they cut or trade Anderson and Talib, it wont hurt the team much and they can fit in Cousins this year

But if Kirk really gets $30 mi guaranteed for 2019 and 2020, Denver would be unable to sign people..

They have OLB Shane Ray still on his rookie deal...2 of their 3 safeties are on rookie deals that are up in 2 years..

They'd handcuff themselves...and would be forced to play some low cost rookies or free agents

...the irony of Thomas and Sanders...Elway HAS TO keep the high price veteran receivers other wise why would a free agent QB come to Denver?

JMO things are not going to end well in Denver for JE unless they can find a QB

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

JMO things are not going to end well in Denver for JE unless they can find a QB

No doubt but who?  

Josh Rosen?  Baker Mayfield?      Really?

the best option may end up being Case Keenum. I juts don't see them going with another rookie or young player.

But the 'wild card' is Chad Kelly.....Jim Kelly's nephew..who sat out all last year

No doubt but who?  

the best option may end up being Case Keenum. I juts don't see them going with another rookie or young player.

But the 'wild card' is Chad Kelly.....Jim Kelly's nephew..who sat out all last year

Not sure

There is talk on Denver web sites of Elway trading up to get the Browns' No.1 pick ..switching 1-for-5 and taking on players like Talib and Anderson.

Browns dont need any more young players. they have a roster full of them

If that happens JE better hit a home run

21 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

No doubt but who?  

Elway's record of drafting offensive players has been downright terrible. I do not see him putting his eggs in a rookie basket after whiffing on both Brock and Lynch. Their offensive player evaluation has to stink, IMO.

If I am Elway, I go after Nick Foles or Case Keenum if I cannot land Cousins, and hope it helps him extend the life of whatever is left on that D. At least it would give him options in the draft.

The thing is with these QB contracts, they are actually getting towards the position they should be in. 

QB is the most important position in sports and, with the cap rising more and more each year, Andrew Luck's deal could soon look to be a bargain!

2 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

The thing is with these QB contracts, they are actually getting towards the position they should be in. 

QB is the most important position in sports and, with the cap rising more and more each year, Andrew Luck's deal could soon look to be a bargain!

If he is playing it already does.

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

Elway's record of drafting offensive players has been downright terrible. I do not see him putting his eggs in a rookie basket after whiffing on both Brock and Lynch. Their offensive player evaluation has to stink, IMO.

If I am Elway, I go after Nick Foles or Case Keenum if I cannot land Cousins, and hope it helps him extend the life of whatever is left on that D. At least it would give him options in the draft.

I think draft is their best option even though their drafting on offense and especially QBs has been terrible. Folesn and Keenum need great support cast on the offensive side of the ball. Denver doesn't have that. Cousins does too, somewhat but at least he can play like top 12-15 QB without one. However, that's probably not good enough for the Broncos considering how medicore their drafts have been recently and the cuts they'd have to make to get Cousins. D would take a major hit.

Draft pick would allow them to save cap space and keep/even add more talent around their QB. But it's probably the most high risk/reward scenario out there and not sure Elway is going that route. He can't really afford to whiff on another QB. He's already missed on 2 QBOTF picks at the draft.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:46 PM, chad72 said:

Draft choices are lottery tickets..nobody's good at it consistently..

......I cant see the Broncos giving Case $20 mil and Nick Foles isn't available until Carson Wentz is playing again.  If they have to go with a rookie,. it might be Chad Kelly

Edited by oldunclemark