Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Luck Be Involved In Team Decisions?

Dark Superman

I have a good feeling Andrew Luck is in great hands with Frank Reich as his new HC and Chris Ballard as the teams GM. But how would you feel if Reich and Ballard involved Andrew with some of the decision makings, such as free agency, draft picks, and resigning our own players? I would love to know who Luck would want to come to Indianapolis if had the power to make the call. No one knows this offense better than Andrew Luck.

Also, did Manning ever voice his opinion on guys he wanted to come to Indy? Just curious.

1 hour ago, King! said:

I have a good feeling Andrew Luck is in great hands with Frank Reich as his new HC and Chris Ballard as the teams GM. But how would you feel if Reich and Ballard involved Andrew with some of the decision makings, such as free agency, draft picks, and resigning our own players? I would love to know who Luck would want to come to Indianapolis if had the power to make the call. No one knows this offense better than Andrew Luck.

Also, did Manning ever voice his opinion on guys he wanted to come to Indy? Just curious.

No. Anything other than a "hey what would you think of throwing to this guy" would be way too much

and No, nothing like that with Manning has ever been reported

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

No. Anything other than a "hey what would you think of throwing to this guy" would be way too much

and No, nothing like that with Manning has ever been reported

Yeah, I wasn't sure about Manning. But I thought I remembered him pitching for them to go after Brandon Stokley, but I could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, King! said:

Yeah, I wasn't sure about Manning. But I thought I remembered him pitching for them to go after Brandon Stokley, but I could be wrong.

He pitched stokely to the Broncos. Told them they should try him out and they did

Luck is a key player to the franchise but I would not have him involved with any decisions.  Just let him know that he will have good linemen in front of him and that he will have some talent to throw to.  Maybe ask about a guy or two but not a yes or no for player x or y.

4 hours ago, King! said:

What a joke.
And the offense coming is Foreign to anything he has been asked to do prior.  Nice try.

6 hours ago, King! said:

Luck: hey guys I have an idea on who to draft .... there’s this thing called an O line ..... Nelson looks really good paired up with Kelly and the 2 FA linemen we brought in. Yeah that sounds right .... my shoulder and stomach feel better now!

CB: I dunno Andrew 

reich: we have jacoby if anything goes wrong ... 

roger: with the third overall pick the Indianapolis Colts select .... 

Ballard: Andrew, you sure on throwing this season? We could take a QB with the first pick you know? (joking)

Luck: I'll be there........ with bells on, lol. 

Ballard: I know...we're all good. We'll add a great player to the team.

I can neither confirm or deny this as as close as Andrew will come to actual team decision making....

No luck shouldn’t be involved with team decisions.. He’s a great player and great players make other players around them great. He’ll take what coaches and management give him and control what he can. 

I believe Lucks in good hands, I can’t wait for the season to start!! And hoping for a great rb for Luck to hand off to!!

Sorry......

In a word.....   No!        In two words......     Hell, No!!

Nothing would sour the chemistry in a locker-room faster.     It would be a culture-killer.

The first time a player is surprisingly cut,  or traded,   heads would turn to Luck....     Not good.

If the season is going poorly,  players would turn to Luck....       Not good.

Anything that is said inside the locker-room, and it somehow gets to the coaches or management,   then all eyes would be on Luck.       Not good.

You would just never EVER want to put your QB (or ANY player for that matter)   in that kind of position.

Let management be management.

Let coaches coach.

Let the players play.

And don't try and mix it all up.

No.     Just, no..........

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

It depends on what those discussions/decisions are? I've gotta dollar that says Peyton was far more a right hand man to Polian on some issues than they out right say, though it get's alluded to.

Please send to:

Egg

Anytown, USA

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

I would want his input on what type of receivers he prefers,  but that's about it.

and manning did personally workout with Eric decker before the draft.

True not about Decker, Manning was still a Colt when Denver drafted Decker. He didn't go to Denver for two more years.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

True not about Decker, Manning was still a Colt when Denver drafted Decker. He didn't go to Denver for two more years.

I know....Manning worked him out when he was still with the colts.

Yes he should get a say ... he’s going to be the manning to this franchise well like Peyton was. He should get a say .... AND if I were him I would march up to irsay and be like wth dude get me the most expensive line in the NFL! My shoulder and stomach hurts! 

The consensus seems to be let the GM, owner, & front office handle the draft picks & free agents. While Luck just sticks to rehabbing his shoulder & film study analysis when he's ready. I concur. 

I think all King was driving at is at what point if any experience wise does Luck have the cache to offer suggestions to Frank? Answer: Never. Stay in your lane unless given a choice by your HC directly as in, out of these 2 WRs which one would you prefer to score TDs with? 

Some of you are very funny & some of you don't mince words...

On 3/3/2018 at 8:35 PM, TdungyW/12 said:

Yes he should get a say ... he’s going to be the manning to this franchise well like Peyton was. He should get a say .... AND if I were him I would march up to irsay and be like wth dude get me the most expensive line in the NFL! My shoulder and stomach hurts! 

I'm honestly surprised there weren't more replies like this in this thread.  To answer the OP, no Luck should not get any say in team decisions.

15 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

Yeah we see how that’s been going for him .... 

yeah? and?  that still doesn't make it his place to start making demands of Irsay or Ballard.  He's a player and should be treated as such.  get some input from him here or there but his input should never be the tipping point for any major team decision.

1 hour ago, J@son said:

yeah? and?  that still doesn't make it his place to start making demands of Irsay or Ballard.  He's a player and should be treated as such.  get some input from him here or there but his input should never be the tipping point for any major team decision.

Nowhere did I say he should get the final say or be a tipping point for a decision I would like him to have some input on the direction of the team .... front office, coaches and owners don’t always get it right ... as you can see what we’ve dealt with for the past 5 years. They should listen to Luck and hear him not let him pick ... being involved in team decision has several different aspects to it .... but not making the pick I agree with .... but having input and giving his view I say yes!