Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"The T.J. Green Project"

jshipp23

I think this is the year Green pays off for us..There are very few players in the NFL with his type of physical gifts..The change in defense and simplification of it with Eberflous running the show will showcase Green's strengths..I think he becomes our Kam Chancellor joker type player this year.. Now that we have the coaching staff that knows how to properly utilize him, I expect him to make a major leap and open up eyes real soon...It isn't a coincidence he is still on the roster, Ballard knows what he could be once it clicks for him...

14 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

The only way Green could possibly "pay off" is to swing a trade with Miami for a hot dog vendor and a case of Cheese Puffs. 

He was drafted knowing he was a raw project, I've seen plenty of glimpses of what is possible when he puts it together...He is the perfect type player to play the Chancellor role in this defense ...Just wait..You don't give up on high picks after 2 years, same with LeRaven Clark..Some guys take longer to develop..

He needs about 15 lbs to dish out hits like a Kam Chancellor, right now he is more Deone Buchannan than Chancellor. However, Buchannan does play LB roles for the Cardinals, which might be what T.J.Green should be playing, like a Telvin Smith for the Jaguars.

Just now, chad72 said:

He needs about 15 lbs to dish out hits like a Kam Chancellor, right now he is more Deone Buchannan than Chancellor. However, Buchannan does play LB roles for the Cardinals, which might be what T.J.Green should be playing, like a Telvin Smith for the Jaguars.

I think he is best suited for that role and could excel at it..

51 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Your coming at this at the wrong angle... like most of TJ Greens coverage and tackle attempts. 

I kind of agree with Jshipp on Green, I've never thought he was as bad as many on this forum and I think he will getr quite a few snaps this year.

But this post is just hilarious.

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I kind of agree with Jshipp on Green, I've never thought he was as bad as many on this forum and I think he will getr quite a few snaps this year.

But this post is just hilarious.

Thank you for the nice words!

and I always hope he can pan out, but we have good safeties in Hooker, Geathers, and Farley. If he’s good enough to be among the group I’d be happy. 

I figured there would be quite a few jokes in this thread, but I'm telling you if Green gets a little confidence and they simplify his role he is gonna do some good things..I think it would be a big mistake to write him off just yet..

38 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I figured there would be quite a few jokes in this thread, but I'm telling you if Green gets a little confidence and they simplify his role he is gonna do some good things..I think it would be a big mistake to write him off just yet..

It's said in a joking manner a lot but I honestly believe the dude is a legitimate threat to his teammates. He's gone helmet to helmet more than a few times with his own guys, and he's come close a lot more.

4 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

I think this is the year Green pays off for us..There are very few players in the NFL with his type of physical gifts..The change in defense and simplification of it with Eberflous running the show will showcase Green's strengths..I think he becomes our Kam Chancellor joker type player this year.. Now that we have the coaching staff that knows how to properly utilize him, I expect him to make a major leap and open up eyes real soon...It isn't a coincidence he is still on the roster, Ballard knows what he could be once it clicks for him...

I do think he'll be better in this scheme, just not sure how much of a leap I'd expect at this point.

Green has always been an athlete who happens to play football...not a football player who is athletic. He was recruited as such...and and his athleticism has gotten him pretty far...especially considering he has never been a good football player. 

But he can't track the ball, gets lost in coverage and is reckless when tackles. I have yet to see any of the football traits that you would want in a DB...other than make-up speed and the ability to run down a ball carrier. 

So I could see him sticking around for STs...but I don't think he's part of the plan on defense. And he shouldn't prevent them from looking at Ss this offseason.

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Green has always been an athlete who happens to play football...not a football player who is athletic. He was recruited as such...and and his athleticism has gotten him pretty far...especially considering he has never been a good football player. 

But he can't track the ball, gets lost in coverage and is reckless when tackles. I have yet to see any of the football traits that you would want in a DB...other than make-up speed and the ability to run down a ball carrier. 

So I could see him sticking around for STs...but I don't think he's part of the plan on defense. And he shouldn't prevent them from looking at Ss this offseason.

I would use him more as a hybrid safety/linebacker joker move him around use him on blitzes a lot..

Green was much better this last year than his rookie year, which is, oddly enough, how players tend to develop in their early career. No, he wasn’t great, but he’s the current forum whipping boy because he was a Ryan Grigson second round pick, and is living off his rookie reputation. 

Personally though, I think he’s better as a deep safety or Cover 2 safety, and special team player. I don’t want him playing the joker role. Backing up Hooker and just being a general role player is what he should be, and he is solid depth. By no means a roster lock, but also not someone on the chopping block. 

27 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Green was much better this last year than his rookie year, which is, oddly enough, how players tend to develop in their early career. No, he wasn’t great, but he’s the current forum whipping boy because he was a Ryan Grigson second round pick, and is living off his rookie reputation. 

Personally though, I think he’s better as a deep safety or Cover 2 safety, and special team player. I don’t want him playing the joker role. Backing up Hooker and just being a general role player is what he should be, and he is solid depth. By no means a roster lock, but also not someone on the chopping block. 

I want to see what the new coaches do with Green and Clark before I say either is a bust...I think it'll be a drastic difference..

Just now, tikyle said:

Two words: Taylor Mays

He is exactly who I brought up when he was drafted. Both were drafted based on their potential and not their level of play. The NFL is littered with guys with a lot of potential who never realize it fully.

TJ Green has an uphill battle. He has the size and speed but does not possess any particular skill set that makes him stand out in a good way.

6 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

I don't think he makes it out of training camp.

The athleticism is there to try and make something work but I don't see instincts to play the game.  I think they try to see if they can develop him in OTA, mini-camp and training camp before the ultimately decide that he just can't play.

43 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I want to see what the new coaches do with Green and Clark before I say either is a bust...I think it'll be a drastic difference..

Pagano was a DB coach and was touted as the "DB whisperer."  That's exactly what his specialty was supposed to be. 

Do you have THAT much faith in Alan Williams?

4 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Pagano was a DB coach and was touted as the "DB whisperer."  That's exactly what his specialty was supposed to be. 

Do you have THAT much faith in Alan Williams?

I want him to play linebacker..

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

I want him to play linebacker..

I really hope he is able to find a clear role for his athletic abilities, but right now I think he's maxed out as a special teams player with rotational defensive play based on matchups.

Tell you what, with us switching to a "fast-athlete" 4-3 defense, I'm wondering if they won't let TJ add another 5-10 pounds and play weakside linebacker. 

I think he could be really good there. He hits. He's a pretty tackler and he's fast as hell. 

Don't write him off.