IndyScribe

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

Elite RB + crap O-line = ?

build the D or O-line first. 

You can have an elite RB and still build the O-line this year. There's FA and the rest of the draft. This is an invalid argument.

Nonetheless, I'd prefer to draft Chubb at #3, but the logic in your argument is flawed.

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

You can have an elite RB and still build the O-line this year. There's FA and the rest of the draft. This is an invalid argument.

Nonetheless, I'd prefer to draft Chubb at #3, but the logic in your argument is flawed.

The problem with the “and” Agrument is that there is no guarantee in FA and or the Draft

Just now, Aluckiswolverine said:

I’m just going on what we have right now. I  thought Ballard said you have to grow your own guys through the draft. It wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t go crazy during free agency regarding the O-line. 

ESPN had an opinion piece that basically said that

43 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What about it is there to disagree?  Keeping Luck on the field is imperative. Add the fact we need run and pass blocking too. You may disagree but it don't automatically make it true.

we dont need an elite guard to do those things

you may disagree but...  you know the rest

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The problem with the “and” Agrument is that there is no guarantee in FA and or the Draft

So you are advocating drafting someone else because there is no guarantee in FA or the draft? Isn't this self-refuting?

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

ESPN had an opinion piece that basically said that

my problem with that is we have 80 million to spend

what good is unused cap space? we dont even have many people coming up to re sign 

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Unused cap space rolls over to the next season. So it is not imperative it is all spent this year.

why would we do that though? its not like we have a bunch of people in the wings that need to be signed 

we should be more worried about bringing in good players that are worth a big contract.  too many good players is a better problem to have than a bunch of cap space with no one to use it on

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

No I am advocating to wait and see what happens in FA

Then you and I are on the same page.

We can see if Ballard addressed the O-line, and if so, then it's up to him to decide on Barkley/Chubb/Nelson,trade-back etc.

The logic of drafting Barkley to run behind a crap O-line is invalid. The Colts could draft Barkley this year and address the O-line in so many ways. In addition, they can address O-line next year or the year after. Barkley will be here for years to come, if drafted. The team has so many needs and drafting Barkley would check-off one of those needs. It's up to Ballard how he wants to construct the team. I was simply pointing out that the logic in that particular argument was unsound.

Just now, aaron11 said:

why would we do that though? its not like we have a bunch of people in the wings that need to be signed 

we should be more worried about bringing in good players that are worth a big contract.  too many good players is a better problem to have than a bunch of cap space with no one to use it on

Spend the cap space just because we have the money handcuffs the team when they need it

Spend the cap space just because we have the money handcuffs the team when they need it

we may not need it though.  how many guys from our last few drafts are going to get a big contract?  i dont see many

there wont be anyone to pay if we dont bring in some good players in the first place

sheard was one of our better players last year, a free agent himself 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

i am not full of patience because i think luck is on borrowed time 

we have money, lets make some moves!

we have hardly anyone coming up that needs paid

If there is one good thing that was learned from Grigson is how to keep out of cap trouble. He started millions in the red but pulled us out pretty quick. Somehow I think Ballard is going to manage the cap as needed. That starts with not spending money when not getting good value for it.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

If there is one good thing that was learned from Grigson is how to keep out of cap trouble. He started millions in the red but pulled us out pretty quick. Somehow I think Ballard is going to manage the cap as needed. That starts with not spending money when not getting good value for it.

we are a long ways from having cap problems

we have a problem now with not enough good players to pay.  looking at our past few drafts we have very few guys coming up that will demand a big pay day.  

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think that the best approach is to use the money, while getting good value for it. There are targets in FA where this could apply and both you and aaron11 would be satisfied.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

we are a long ways from having cap problems

we have a problem now with not enough good players to pay.  looking at our past few drafts we have very few guys coming up that will demand a big pay day.  

Even if you sign vets to 1 year deals spend the money...If we sit on money it shows we aren't trying to win..It would make since if we had guys to sign but we don't smh..

Friendly Reminder from TigerTown    

I don’t want to go back to the days of my childhood when every year the Colts had to worry about cap space and how to fill the multiple holes the team had

id rather have cap problems than a team that sucks with no one to pay

13 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Barkley is great. And I won't lie he'd look good in blue.

But a running back is not and never will be the Lebron James of football.

Really? Tell that to Jim Brown, or Walter Payton

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Those two have absolutely zero to do with the NBA. Making the connection between the NBA and the NFL is silly.

This is what he said. "But a running back is not and never will be the Lebron James of football."

The implication was they would never be as "great" in the NFL as Lebron is in the NBA. by the way, Lebron's a front runner :)

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

JMO 

At this point drafting SB is like point a band aid on a compound fracture 

If we draft SB and do nothing else, then yes, absolutely. That would not make any sense.

I assume with the remainder of the draft and FA, chances are we will do much to address the compound fracture. And again, I am not advocating for SB. I actually would prefer we draft Chubb.

Now, the same could be said about drafting Chub: "At this point drafting Chubb is like putting a band aid on a compound fracture." This wouldn't be a fair statement because the Colts will do more than just draft Chubb or Nelson, or whoever. It's not about 1 person, it's about the collective moves made by the Front Office.

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

No, having cap problems stop you from making a deal later. Just spending the money because it's there is not conducting business correctly. 

what deal later?  that would just be another free agent

we dont have guys coming up to pay, thats my whole point.  

I can see that SB is special but Chubb has not been getting the same kind of attention as SB.   If he is considered equal or better, I would like to hear it or see it as well.  I’ve heard he’s not Myles G.  But SB is being compared to historical greats.