Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Loaded ?

Matabix

Lets say no Barkley or Chubb by the end of draft. Did Colts win the draft by dropping back and getting Nelson, Landry, and Guice

Ohh and icing on the cake already signed Norwell, and lets say Watkins?

How is that for a question, or we can take the 3 picks away and get either Barkley or Chubb, than highest rated OL, and FA mentioned?

That's definitely a tough question, but I don't think I could be upset at a haul like that. You get a stud G, a talented 3 down RB, and the best pure pass rusher in the draft. I'm a bit concerned about Landry's size and ability to hold up in the run game, but the guy can get to the QB. I'd be sold...

41 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Lets say no Barkley or Chubb by the end of draft. Did Colts win the draft by dropping back and getting Nelson, Landry, and Guice

Ohh and icing on the cake already signed Norwell, and lets say Watkins?

How is that for a question, or we can take the 3 picks away and get either Barkley or Chubb, than highest rated OL, and FA mentioned?

Not a single defensive player in this hypothetical.. so no, they did not.

Also, Landry's contract demands are a bit crazy. But, I am a little intrigued by Sammy Watkins. Not gunna lie. 

3 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Not a single defensive player in this hypothetical.. so no, they did not.

Also, Landry's contract demands are a bit crazy. But, I am a little intrigued by Sammy Watkins. Not gunna lie. 

Sorry that is Harold Landry rookie Boston College

1 minute ago, Matabix said:

Sorry that is Harold Landry rookie Boston College

Ah, my bad.

It was proposed  here earlier that we could trade back with Miami and get Jarvis.

I don't know enough about Harold to really give a decent opinion.

8 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Ah, my bad.

It was proposed  here earlier that we could trade back with Miami and get Jarvis.

I don't know enough about Harold to really give a decent opinion.

That was a troll thread. Jarvis Landry is franchised tagged. 

8 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

That was a troll thread. Jarvis Landry is franchised tagged. 

Yeah , I figured that out after a few comments. But , the tag doesn't mean he isn't on the trading block. There's tons of rumours flying around.

l'd say there's a zero percent chance that we'd acquire him as the main piece in a trade back scenario , though.

I just shake my head at the people that say they love Nelson, but not with the third pick.  If he’s as good as they are saying, what about using a first round draft choice to get a perennial All-Pro offensive lineman is so bad?

A year from now, who really cares if the All-Pro offensive lineman was drafted at 3rd, 6th, or 11th?  This splitting of hairs over OG at 3 vs 6th or slightly later is utterly ridiculous!  It does not matter!  What matters is getting a stud at arguably the weakest position on the team!

Perhaps the weakest part of the team, that part that protects your franchise QB and can help make the running game go, has the opportunity to get what is touted as being the safest, start on day one, most dominant OG in years, and some of you say oh noooo, not at 3, but at 6 or 7 is okay?  Utter madness, this irrational splitting of hairs. 

At the end end of the day, to me, the question is what makes your team stronger and more successful ... Chubb the DE pass rushing stud or Nelson the OL stud?  The decision cannot consider what position is being chosen at what draft slot.  The decision is who is more valuable to your team.

To me the answer is clear, based on current personnel ... The team will be better if they FINALLY FIX THE OL!!!!!

8 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I just shake my head at the people that say they love Nelson, but not with the third pick.  If he’s as good as they are saying, what about using a first round draft choice to get a perennial All-Pro offensive lineman is so bad?

A year from now, who really cares if the All-Pro offensive lineman was drafted at 3rd, 6th, or 11th?  This splitting of hairs over OG at 3 vs 6th or slightly later is utterly ridiculous!  It does not matter!  What matters is getting a stud at arguably the weakest position on the team!

Like I have been saying, the draft is not a linear set of numbers where players are expected to play up the the spot they were drafted. They are expected to develop, improve, and contribute to the team. Fans want to quantify everything. Look. Ballard said in his interview that (if) there were 15 players that were actual first rounders.....meaning as a group. Sure some are likely better than others, but there is no guarantee. I dont care who they draft at #3 as long as they are a difference maker, and they are with the team for a long time. Success!

18 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Perhaps the weakest part of the team, that part that protects your franchise QB and can help make the running game go, has the opportunity to get what is touted as being the safest, start on day one, most dominant OG in years, and some of you say oh noooo, not at 3, but at 6 or 7 is okay?  Utter madness, this irrational splitting of hairs. 

At the end end of the day, to me, the question is what makes your team stronger and more successful ... Chubb the DE pass rushing stud or Nelson the OL stud?  The decision cannot consider what position is being chosen at what draft slot.  The decision is who is more vsluable to your team.

To me the answer is clear, based on current personnel ... The team will be better if they FINALLY FIX THE OL!!!!!

I agree with you wholeheartedly. People are unnecessarily trying to sound sophisticated.

45 minutes ago, Solon said:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. People are unnecessarily trying to sound sophisticated.

I don't think it's a point of sounding sophisticated but more the lines of having pre conceived opinions of who should be picked where and where they are not supposed to be.

If we have learned anything from past drafts (over 40 for me) that the draft never goes as the fans think they should. No matter how much homework fans make they don't have the resources the NFL GMs and their scouting teams have. We start paying attention after the season is over. GM have a staff that does this year round with more information than available to fans.

2 hours ago, rockywoj said:

At the end end of the day, to me, the question is what makes your team stronger and more successful ... Chubb the DE pass rushing stud or Nelson the OL stud?  The decision cannot consider what position is being chosen at what draft slot.  The decision is who is more vsluable to your team.

I agree but i think we can get him later and use the extra picks. Why not have our cake and eat too for a change?

CB said the draft was pretty deep with Oline men. Then he said you take the difference maker regardless of position and then he said teams don't let go of good pass rushers.  In other words, he didn't tip,his hat because that could be any of the 3. He's good.  He's reeeaal good. 

6 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I wholeheartedly agree with your lament over the OL.... especially at G. 

And I'd consider any plausible scenario that also nets us Andrew Norwell AND Quentin Nelson a great outcome... even if we select Nelson at #3.

With the exception of distant memory Jake Scott and Jack MewHURT, we've sucked at G for ages.

But with the buzz around this year's QB crop plus Barkley.... it seems like a 2-3 spot trade down that could net us an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick shouldn't jeopardize our shot at Nelson, so for me it's the QB/Barkley market that would drive a trade down... not any issue with Nelson.

The key of course, is landing Norwell first.... but those two guys would settle the issue at G. Finally.

5 hours ago, Matabix said:

I agree but i think we can get him later and use the extra picks. Why not have our cake and eat too for a change?

Oh I completely agree ... if you can do the trade back three spots and get him, then terrific!   Buuuut, if the team can’t arrange such a deal, then no worries, just take the guy and don’t worry about prognosticators saying, boooo, you took him three slots too soon.

17 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Oh I completely agree ... if you can do the trade back three spots and get him, then terrific!   Buuuut, if the team can’t arrange such a deal, then no worries, just take the guy and don’t worry about prognosticators saying, boooo, you took him three slots too soon.

I also throw out the thinking of a G at #3 being to high when our QB is coming back from a bad injury when it comes to QB's.

Protect him is my thinking at this point. Otherwise, I'd probably agree #3 is high for a G.

7 hours ago, IinD said:

I also throw out the thinking of a G at #3 being to high when our QB is coming back from a bad injury when it comes to QB's.

Protect him is my thinking at this point. Otherwise, I'd probably agree #3 is high for a G.

There was a current NFL GM on NFL radio yesterday talking about tired, historic view that OTs are so valuable, but that interior OL positions are not, when it comes to “salaries”.  Basically he said that old thinking is out the window and that an OG is just as important, if not moreso, than OTs.  I agree with that notion, so I can only respect your opinion that # 3 is too high for an OG if your thought is that NO offensive lineman is worth the 3rd overall pick.  At least then, imho, your opinion is reason based.  Otherwise, though, again, just splitting hairs.  

A prospective All-Pro at a position of need is the issue ... not whether he’s at OT or the interior OL.  Number three is high for ANY position, so you better get, as Chris Ballard has been saying, a “difference” maker.  An All-Pro at OG would be a huge difference maker.  Especially true when you consider he’ll be on a 5-year contract that is a whole heck of a lot less expensive than a top FA Guard.

If we came away with those guys in fa/draft I would literally be jumping for joy. Could you imagine our line with Norwel, Kelly and Nelson. You want to talk about smash football, wow. Wouldn't get any better than that. That would be the best front three in the NFL

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

There was a current NFL GM on NFL radio yesterday talking about tired, historic view that OTs are so valuable, but that interior OL positions are not, when it comes to “salaries”.  Basically he said that old thinking is out the window and that an OG is just as important, if not moreso, than OTs.  I agree with that notion, so I can only respect your opinion that # 3 is too high for an OG if your thought is that NO offensive lineman is worth the 3rd overall pick.  At least then, imho, your opinion is reason based.  Otherwise, though, again, just splitting hairs.  

A prospective All-Pro at a position f need is the issue ... not whether he’s at OT or the interior OL.  Number three is high for ANY position, so you better get, as Chris Ballard has been saying, a “difference” maker.  An All-Pro at OG would be a huge difference maker.  Especially true when you consider he’ll be on a 5-year contract thatbis a whole heck of a lot less expensive than a top FA Guard.

Good points. It's the same way they used to think the run/pass option qb's and play calling was gimmicky. Today almost all teams use it to some extent.

I'm definitely coming around to fixing whatever the problem is, even if it may be against the norm in terms of where a player is picked. 

10 hours ago, Trueman said:

Yeah , I figured that out after a few comments. But , the tag doesn't mean he isn't on the trading block. There's tons of rumours flying around.

l'd say there's a zero percent chance that we'd acquire him as the main piece in a trade back scenario , though.

True enough. I’d be curious what it would take for us to get him. I don’t want him, but a good deal is a good deal if we find it as such. 

11 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

True enough. I’d be curious what it would take for us to get him. I don’t want him, but a good deal is a good deal if we find it as such. 

If his contract demands were reasonable and he was free agent , I'd definitely want us to pursue him. I think he's awesome. 

I'm not sure what it would take in a trade ; it's so hard to gauge in the NFL . He is on the tag , so I imagine that would be a detriment to his value.

49 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'd love for Landry to drop to the 2nd round and we get Chubb AND Landry to add to Sheard and Basham....that would be ideal...

Wouldn't mind that depending on what happens in FA. Let's say the colts just sign Fulton for oline help. Then I would be hoping for Wynn to fall to the 2nd. The offensive line needs just as much work as the defensive line. Hoping Ballard doesn't neglect the oline again this year. 

Watching press conferences today at the combine, I think it's doable, but getting Watkins. Trade with Tampa for there 1st and 2nd round annd other picks, grab Nelson, use Tampa's 2nd round and other picks to trade back into 1st round with Seattle and grab Landry. Hope Guice falls to us in 2nd round. Sounds like Seattle wants to tebuild around Wilson and they can get quality skill players day 2.

It's possible.

2 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Wouldn't mind that depending on what happens in FA. Let's say the colts just sign Fulton for oline help. Then I would be hoping for Wynn to fall to the 2nd. The offensive line needs just as much work as the defensive line. Hoping Ballard doesn't neglect the oline again this year. 

I'm sensing the offense has the least holes and can be plugged by 3 people.....2 already established lineman and a WR opposite of TY. 

Perhaps Hitchens at LB to help Coach Eberflus with the transition to 4-3?

Then the ENTIRE draft could be dedicated to the 4-3 transition!

16 hours ago, rockywoj said:

At the end end of the day, to me, the question is what makes your team stronger and more successful ... Chubb the DE pass rushing stud or Nelson the OL stud?  The decision cannot consider what position is being chosen at what draft slot.  The decision is who is more valuable to your team.

The difference beteeen OG and the "premium"  positions is you can add a top G in FA the "premium" positions  rarely hit the open market. When you pick in the top 5 or even the top 10 you have to try to get an impact player at a premium position.

G just isn't a premium position Look at Norwell he is 26 yr old All-Pro and he's going to be a FA. When's the last time an All Pro Edge hit the market? Norwell won't get tagged G's are rarely tagged. The last G to get the franchise tag was Mankins by NE in 2011. 

OG's are found more frequently  later rounds then big time pass rushers. Most of the top graded interior o-lineman will go day 2 and into day 3. Chubb is more valuable because he'd be much more difficult to replace. 

I want to OL fixed too it has to be the priority this off season. We can do that without using the #3 pick on an interior offensive lineman. A pick that early needs to be a difference maker at a premium spot like pass rusher.  

We can fix the OL and help the team by finding a pass rush. We bring Mewhort back on a 1 yr deal sign a guy like Kline I'd bring in Fulton too. I suspect we do one or the other. Then draft a guy like Demby day 3. I like Ragnow a bit earlier. 

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

The difference beteeen OG and the "premium"  positions is you can add a top G in FA the "premium" positions  rarely hit the open market. When you pick in the top 5 or even the top 10 you have to try to get an impact player at a premium position.

G just isn't a premium position Look at Norwell he is 26 yr old All-Pro and he's going to be a FA. When's the last time an All Pro Edge hit the market? Norwell won't get tagged G's are rarely tagged. The last G to get the franchise tag was Mankins by NE in 2011. 

OG's are found more frequently  later rounds then big time pass rushers. Most of the top graded interior o-lineman will go day 2 and into day 3. Chubb is more valuable because he'd be much more difficult to replace. 

I want to OL fixed too it has to be the priority this off season. We can do that without using the #3 pick on an interior offensive lineman. A pick that early needs to be a difference maker at a premium spot like pass rusher.  

We can fix the OL and help the team by finding a pass rush. We bring Mewhort back on a 1 yr deal sign a guy like Kline I'd bring in Fulton too. I suspect we do one or the other. Then draft a guy like Demby day 3. I like Ragnow a bit earlier. 

Meh.  Sounds like the same old same old failed strategy.  I hear what you are saying, but I disagree.  

19 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Thank you sir. Dont outsmart yourself here. Take the sure thing that you desperately need.

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

Ok but Mewhort is done. And the rest of those guys have a chance to be average nfl starters at best and arent difference makers.

We dont need bodies, we have those. We need someone to make a difference for us. Thats Nelson. Its not Ragnow. 

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

Meh.  Sounds like the same old same old failed strategy.  I hear what you are saying, but I disagree.  

Agreed rw at this point I would love to just say screw it and use our 3 pick straight on Nelson and never look back. Let him know we're all in and have that animal be the main part of the wall that must be built

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

How does anyone define a "premium" position?  I think the position of protecting the QB would be just as "premium" as any other position.

The only true premium position on the field now is the QB position.

Games are won and lost in the trenches. Always has been and it's not going to change.

23 hours ago, Trueman said:

What if trading back is what's best for the team , though?

If Barkley is not there trading back is absolutely the best move...Trade back with Buffalo for extra first and 2nd and turn that into OG Hernandez, DT Taven Bryan, and TE Dallas Goedert..