Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard on the Herd

JRnINDY

Did you notice how Ballard never really answered Colin's question? 

Chris, hypothetically speaking without applying any names, what's more important to this franchise? A pass rusher or a game changing back? Enter the Luck's a team guy answer that tells you absolutely nothing. 

I know; I know nobody's honest when it comes to pre draft interviews. Bonus points to Ballard for his politician mode non answer. He's highly skilled at it. 

Barry Alvarez, Athletic Director at UW-Madison, is a pompous jack caboose. As an alumni from that institution, I know that first hand. He's good at hiring coaches & winning Championships, but his treating folks with decency needs some work. He's extremely vain & materialistic. 

Thanks for posting this JRnINDY! Good interview. I love how Colin will push just so far & then back off. 

I have one bone to pick with Cowherd though. Josh didn't do us a favor man. Oh no, you don't get to give McDaniels a pass just because we landed Frank Reich. We're not gonna rewrite history here. Absolutely not! 

Did it work out well for us with the new hire? Sure, but Josh doesn't get to wash what he did under the bridge to Chris & Jimmy. Colts Nation isn't that generous or delusional. Come on now. 

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Thanks for posting this JRnINDY! Good interview. I love how Colin will push just so far & then back off. 

I have one bone to pick with Cowherd though. Josh didn't do us a favor man. Oh no, you don't get to give McDaniels a pass just because we landed Frank Reich. We're not gonna rewrite history here. Absolutely not! 

Did it work out well for us with the new hire. Sure, but Josh doesn't get to wash what he did under the bridge to Chris & Jimmy. Colts Nation isn't that generous or delusional. Come on now. 

Look, I don't care for any of the media people too much at all but I didn't get the impression that anyone was giving McNoNuts a pass.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Look, I don't care for any of the media people too much at all but I didn't get the impression that anyone was giving McNoNuts a pass.

I just didn't like the premise of Colin's statement. To me, he created the impression that INDY fans should be thanking Josh for screwing us over. You gotta remember Colin is a huge Patriots fan, which is perfectly fine,  he can root for whatever team he wants. But, what Cowherd is really trying to do is take heat off of McDaniels by creating the impression that if the Colts win another ring we should be grateful to him, which is crazy. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I will always respect BB because he won 2 rings as the DC for the NY Giants--my 2nd favorite football team to watch next to INDY. 

5 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I just didn't like the premise of Colin's statement. To me, he created the impression that INDY fans should be thanking Josh for screwing us over. You gotta remember Colin is a huge Patriots fan, which is perfectly fine,  he can root for whatever team he wants. But, what Cowherd is really trying to do is take heat off of McDaniels by creating the impression that if the Colts win another ring we should be grateful to him, which is crazy.

I think the intention of Colin's comment wasn't to give McDaniels an out or essentially say we own him one. I think he's saying that at the very least, we should be glad that he backed out, especially since he obviously wasn't 100% in, because having a HC that isn't 100% on board is a recipe for disaster.

Like Ballard said about his conversation with McDaniels, "you're in or you're out". We don't want anyone here that doesn't want to be here and if Josh had those feelings, it's best that he did what he did.

8 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

In the interest of full disclosure, I will always respect BB because he won 2 rings as the DC for the NY Giants--my 2nd favorite football team to watch next to INDY. 

I don't know SW, maybe you were reading to much into what was said. I could be wrong, I just don't see it.

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I respect your POV CC1. I wasn't challenging you BTW. Just calling it like I see it. My 2 cents that's all. 

Like I said before, Colin knows when to back off to his credit while I on the other hand, often go where angels fear to tread. More of a liability than an asset I'll admit. But, I know that about myself & have learned to accept it now. LOL! 

5 minutes ago, Shive said:

I think the intention of Colin's comment wasn't to give McDaniels an out or essentially say we own him one. I think he's saying that at the very least, we should be glad that he backed out, especially since he obviously wasn't 100% in, because having a HC that isn't 100% on board is a recipe for disaster.

Like Ballard said about his conversation with McDaniels, "you're in or you're out". We don't want anyone here that doesn't want to be here and if Josh had those feelings, it's best that he did what he did.

Is it possible Colin Colin was just trying to make lemonade out of lemons? You know, put the best spin on a bad situation...Perhaps, but to me it's too soon, like trying to set your best friend up with a woman right after his wife died. We still have no idea what kind of a HC Frank will be. I like the guy, have a good feeling, & will give him 3 yrs before I expect anything concrete, but still. 

I like Cowherd & I watch him everyday because he actually says nice things about our QB & franchise. I just need to know we are in good hands with Reich before I can let the McDaniels fiasco go...

37 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Is it possible Colin Colin was just trying to make lemonade out of lemons? You know, put the best spin on a bad situation...Perhaps, but to me it's too soon, like trying to set your best friend up with a woman right after his wife died. We still have no idea what kind of a HC Frank will be. I like the guy, have a good feeling, & will give him 3 yrs before I expect anything concrete, but still. 

I like Cowherd & I watch him everyday because he actually says nice things about our QB & franchise. I just need to know we are in good hands with Reich before I can let the McDaniels fiasco go...

You see SW, that is where we differ. To me McDaniels is a nobody. Yes I can be bitter after finding out what went down but dwelling on it does no good. Ballard put it down in it's simplest form, are you in, or are you out?  He is out.

Move on down the path.

I did like when Ballard said he was basically not thrilled about what McDaniels did regarding the Colts job. I need to know Chris was upset just to confirm he's human you know. He can say "you're either in or out" all day long, but I just like knowing that our GM isn't cool with leaving INDY holding the bag so late in the interview process. 

I realize people can change their minds & take the best offer for their family, but professionalism matters & Josh didn't exercise the best judgment in waiting so long before he declined Ballard's offer. I guess I can't move on so quickly from this episode as other fans can because like I said earlier...Nobody really knows how Mr. Reich will transition into an HC role he's never held before. Frank's success with Nick Foles, Carson Wentz, & Peyton Manning means he's well versed as a QB coach not necessarily a head coach. 

I just like seeing people admit that they're not happy in Ballard's case because I admire genuine emotion in polished, buttoned up people. It's as real as you can get. 

I agree that Frank has earned this new opportunity in INDY & I am rooting for his success. It's not that I don't think he will take us to a new level. I just don't assume that on blind faith. Reich has the credentials to flourish. I just need to see it before I go we're good. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

You see SW, that is where we differ. To me McDaniels is a nobody. Yes I can be bitter after finding out what went down but dwelling on it does no good. Ballard put it down in it's simplest form, are you in, or are you out?  He is out.

Move on down the path.

For fans like myself & Jared who thought that Josh could elevate our offense to another stratosphere, we didn't view McDaniels as a nobody. He did win games with Jacoby Brisset & Jimmy G at the helm when Brady was suspended. So, Josh isn't a fool to me. I have an issue with his lack of professionalism. 

It's fine if you disagree with my perception of Josh's offensive genius CC1; friends don't always see eye to eye on everything. I accept that. I'll move on down the path once I know Frank can protect Luck with a faster release, a smooth ground game, & a relentless pass rush. I can be patient, but I take nothing at face value anymore. 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

For fans like myself & Jared who thought that Josh could elevate our offense to another stratosphere, we didn't view McDaniels as a nobody. He did win games with Jacoby Brisset & Jimmy G at the helm when Brady was suspended. So, Josh isn't a fool to me. I have an issue with his lack of professionalism. 

It's fine if you disagree with my perception of Josh's offensive genius CC1; friends don't always see eye to eye on everything. I accept that. I'll move on down the path once I know Frank can protect Luck with a faster release, a smooth ground game, & a relentless pass rush. I can be patient, but I take nothing at face value anymore. 

But what you are doing is brooding over (or disappointed) something you can't do anything about. Why worry about it?

Hell, leave that to those who need to sell air time or hits.

I don't disagree with your perception of McDaniels at all. But what your perception(and a lot of fans) didn't pick up was his inability to leave the womb of Belichick.

IMO things worked out better for the Colts anyway. If McDaniels did come here and the reality of the fact he didn't we will never have the answer of what might have been.

As far as the Colts are concerned is game planning for the Patriots when we play them. Other than that he is a nobody for the Colts.

So yes, he is out. :dunno:

Actually, if Frank can significantly reduce the number of false start penalties committed at home & demonstrate the ability to make halftime adjustments by say week 8 of the regular season; I will give him the longest honeymoon period ever as a rookie HC. 

False start penalties get under my skin. All they are is a lack of concentration since every guy on offense should know the snap count & cadence of Chewbacca inside LOS. I can let a lot of stuff go, but false starts at home always infuriates me. Don't beat ourselves. If Frank rectifies that enigma on this squad, I will be very happy. 

Actually, if Frank can significantly reduce the number of false start penalties committed at home & demonstrate the ability to make halftime adjustments by say week 8 of the regular season; I will give him the longest honeymoon period ever as a rookie HC. 

False start penalties get under my skin. All they are is a lack of concentration since every guy on offense should know the snap count & cadence of Chewbacca inside LOS. I can let a lot of stuff go, but false starts at home always infuriates me. Don't beat ourselves. If Frank rectifies that enigma on this squad, I will be very happy. 

Yeah the Holding calls too on runs that gave us 1st downs. Those drove me crazy the last 3 years.

Actually, if Frank can significantly reduce the number of false start penalties committed & home & demonstrate the ability to make halftime adjustments by say week 8 of the regular season; I will give him the longest honeymoon period ever as a rookie HC. 

There ya go SW. Get optimistic. Less headaches and heartburn. :D

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't disagree with your perception of McDaniels at all. But what your perception(and a lot of fans) didn't pick up was his inability to leave the womb of Belichick

That's a fair observation CC1. That Josh can't leave the Grey Hoodie's nest & by association can't take the training wheels off. Also, as many have astutely stated in previous threads in years past, no coordinator on either offense or defense has left Foxboro & been successful on their own being frequent playoff participants with their new teams. 

Okay, Bill O'Brien has had consistent division crown success in Houston, but that's it. Nobody on the BB coaching tree has taken the mantle of heir apparent yet like a passing of the Championship torch yet. 

I get what you're saying CC1. Josh isn't in INDY's plans anymore so why care at this point? I get what you're driving at. A valid point. I just need to know we're in good hands with Frank before I can pull a Bob Seger & "Turn The Page" buddy. 

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the Holding calls too on runs that gave us 1st downs. Those drove me crazy the last 3 years.

Exactly CBE exactly. Or when guys get illegal formation penalties & can't line up correctly on the line of scrimmage. Oy vey! 

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think this interview went as well as it could've. I sense Herd has some Colts love going on. He loves Ballard and Luck. I like to see this from the bigger names in the media because it's rare. By the way Herd is all for the Colts picking Barkley too.

Cowherd & Ballard do seem to genuinely like each other too. I like that when the host & interviewee don't try to humiliate the other one or try & throw a gotcha question in there. Okay, he did bring up Barkley in a comical way by removing any draft prospect names & Ballard to his credit had fun with it by circling entirely around the question. It's like asking somebody what color is the sky & they tell you that the roast beef sandwich that they had for lunch was delicious. Next question. 

I did like what Chris said about believing in 2nd chances on troubled players so, I will let the elusive #3 draft selection answer go. Yep, Cowherd loves him some Barkley big time! 

"The Combine is a bunch of guys in their underwear & nobody wins games in their underwear." --Cowherd

Mark Schlereth always called the Combine  "the pajama olympics." 

Both these guys are right. I monitor the event on TV when it comes to LBs, safeties, & DE's but that's about it. 

I don't watch nonstop coverage on the Combine as closely as I used too yrs ago. The experts on here clue me into who I need to pay attention to anyway. 

PS: I wish Cowherd would stop referring to Jimmy as 'loopy' though. He runs a steady franchise & his addiction woes make him human & fallible. I like that. It makes him relatable  to me. You know, no ivory tower, out of touch nonsense. 

Slightly off topic: 

Whenever somebody mentions "data" now, my mind always flashes here first...

I know; I know. The NBA & the NFL are 2 entirely different games.  I just get bored when medical jargon comes up. Look, I get it, when GMs spend millions on athletes they want to make sure they are making sound investments. I still like this rant though regardless. I like when coaches get mad. It means they're not playing. 

31 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

"The Combine is a bunch of guys in their underwear & nobody wins games in their underwear." --Cowherd

Mark Schlereth always called the Combine  "the pajama olympics." 

Both these guys are right. I monitor the event on TV when it comes to LBs, safeties, & DE's but that's about it. 

I don't watch nonstop coverage on the Combine as closely as I used too yrs ago. The experts on here clue me into who I need to pay attention to anyway. 

PS: I wish Cowherd would stop referring to Jimmy as 'loopy' though. He runs a steady franchise & his addiction woes make him human & fallible. I like that. It makes him relatable  to me. You know, no ivory tower, out of touch nonsense. 

Yes, the general opinion on Irsay in the media does get old. That is exactly why I don't watch but very little if none of the sports media. It's not that I am Colts fan and don't think it's a fair assessment on Irsay by the media, I just don't care for the personal opinions given by the host or announcers. The argumentative based shows I refuse to watch all together. How some teams get special attention while others get totally ignored. Or if their not ignored they are put down.

Maybe I just have the time or the patience to sit through IMO a huge load of horse dung.

What I cannot understand is people being allergic to information(data) and would call the combine with derogatory terms like "underwear Olympics" and think they are sounding smart or cool or something. I simply cannot take seriously people who would in essence say "no, no, I don't need to know this information about a player/team/coach... I'm better off knowing less than knowing more". 

Now there is a question about how much emphasis to put on certain test for certain positions, but in my books every test gives information that can be helpful to a manager who knows how to evaluate it.  

This is why the Gruden comments were shocking to me and left me relieved we didn't land him. And that's why I'm glad Ballard is our GM (in this interview "all of it is important. Information is the key. The one who gets the best information is successful in the draft - from medical which is critical because we want to draft healthy players" then went on to describe how important getting to know the players is... and then emphasized the importance of the testing - "we have 25-30 years of data that tells us that for each position there are certain drills that are more applicable and important, so we are going to pay attention to the numbers... we time them for a reason..." 

37 minutes ago, stitches said:

What I cannot understand is people being allergic to information(data) and would call the combine with derogatory terms like "underwear Olympics" and think they are sounding smart or cool or something. I simply cannot take seriously people who would in essence say "no, no, I don't need to know this information about a player/team/coach... I'm better off knowing less than knowing more". 

Now there is a question about how much emphasis to put on certain test for certain positions, but in my books every test gives information that can be helpful to a manager who knows how to evaluate it.  

This is why the Gruden comments were shocking to me and left me relieved we didn't land him. 

The attitude you are referring to comes from the players who have been through the combine. The players side. Like it or not that is exactly what a lot of them think. They all know it's something you have to do to draw attention to yourself but there is a human emotion dealing with the feeling of being put on display.

I agree I am glad Gruden went to the Raiders and not here. But he made light of it because he loves the reaction. To him any attention he draws for himself is good. There are a lot of Gruden fans who like his persona especially when he pulls out the 'Chucky' face.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think this interview went as well as it could've. I sense Herd has some Colts love going on. He loves Ballard and Luck. I like to see this from the bigger names in the media because it's rare. By the way Herd is all for the Colts picking Barkley too.

I doubt that Ballard give much credence to what anyone from the media thinks.

Generally GMs have the same attitude toward the media as the coaches do. They have to deal with the media because it's part of the job but wish they didn't have to.

I know it's still early in the game but I really really like this Ballard guy. I think we are going to start seeing some special stuff next few years. Great to hear Luck is still going strong and passionate about the game. He's one of those lunchbox come to work and grind it out guys. 

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

Does anyone else wish they had Ballard as an internal monologue? Could listen to that man speak all day. haha

Yes, he is an impressive speaker.  Grigson always came off as arrogant and self important.  Chris is just the opposite.

I think he did a great job last year, and hope he continues to impress.

Ballard said you don’t draft a player for because you owe it to another (Luck) or something close that. I believe Colin was talking about how we owe Andrew and playmaking RB. 

Ballard said he is drafting to make the team better and Andrew understands that. Maybe it’s just me but doesn’t sound like Barkley is who he wants. Maybe I’m reading that wrong. :dunno:

30 minutes ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

Ballard said you don’t draft a player for because you owe it to another (Luck) or something close that. I believe Colin was talking about how we owe Andrew and playmaking RB. 

Ballard said he is drafting to make the team better and Andrew understands that. Maybe it’s just me but doesn’t sound like Barkley is who he wants. Maybe I’m reading that wrong. :dunno:

I didn't listen to it but one could easily argue that we also owe Andrew better protection (OL) and a better defense.  

Just based on the comments it sounds to me like Ballard is keeping his cards close to the vest.  Which is fine with me, that's pretty typical.  No one wants to give away their draft board or their thought process on the draft.  It sucks for fans because we want to know but anything you tell the fans you tell all 31 other teams. 

33 minutes ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

He's not going to indicate his plans either way. Gives up a lot of leverage if he does.

10 hours ago, southwest1 said:

So we should thank josh because Reich is better? So either way josh isn't very good. Works for me, hey josh, thanks for being a failure.