Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Changes to DPI yardage?

Reality Check

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/2/28/17059120/nfl-pass-interference-15-yards-rule

Basically, they are talking about a maximum 15yd penalty for DPI .... very similar to the way it works in CFB.

I am largely in favor of this implementation due to the fact I hate to see 50+yds given to a team for "subjective call"....WAY too much of a game-changer IMO.  However, this one comes with a loophole too....

If a DB is totally beat by a receiver and they are 50yds downfield, it will be a shame to see the DB commit a flagrant PI simply to give the offense 15yds vs 50yds.  Maybe they could assess a "flagrant foul" when this happens & award the offense an additional 15yds for the "flagrant" aspect of the penalty?

Discuss?....

6 hours ago, Reality Check said:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/2/28/17059120/nfl-pass-interference-15-yards-rule

Basically, they are talking about a maximum 15yd penalty for DPI .... very similar to the way it works in CFB.

I am largely in favor of this implementation due to the fact I hate to see 50+yds given to a team for "subjective call"....WAY too much of a game-changer IMO.  However, this one comes with a loophole too....

If a DB is totally beat by a receiver and they are 50yds downfield, it will be a shame to see the DB commit a flagrant PI simply to give the offense 15yds vs 50yds.  Maybe they could assess a "flagrant foul" when this happens & award the offense an additional 15yds for the "flagrant" aspect of the penalty?

Discuss?....

I could see the idea of a flagrant pass interference penalty being called.  

I think when we played the Bronco's once TY beat Talib bad and so Talib basically dove and tripped him before he ever got the ball.  To me that would qualify as a flagrant pass interference call.

Of course people will say the difference between flagrant PI and just PI is subjective too.  And I guess it would be to some extent. 

But I tend to think a lot of PI calls, especially at that distance happen on sheer accident and certainly not something the DB intentionally did.  And it does seem silly that accidents like that can lead to 40 yard penalties.  

I would actually like this rule if it's passed because I have seen so many Bad 40 or 50 yard PI's called where it cost teams games or were a huge game changer. The Offense as of now has the rules in their favor for the most part so I would like to see this. 15 Yards and an automatic 1st Down is still Great for the Offense. Since it's the Pro's maybe cap it at 20 Yards?

9 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I'd like to see  a 'cap' on pass interference at 30 yards..

If you make pass interference a mandatory 15-yard penalty, defenders will simply grab receivers in the final seconds of a game and take the 15-yard hit to run the clock out... 

Great point, the idea of launching a Hail Mary with hopes of getting a PI call at the end of a game is completely changed if the rule is passed.

Defensive holding, like offensive holding, should be a 10 yard penalty, not an automatic first down. Nothing like a 3rd and 20, and a hold around 5-10 yards away giving up a first down.

I am surprised no one brings that up. That might lead to more defensive holding penalties actually called because if the 10 yards results in a first down, so be it, but if it does not, you get one more down. Sometimes, whistles are swallowed because of the impact a holding call could make on the defensive side.

1 hour ago, Reality Check said:

Great point, the idea of launching a Hail Mary with hopes of getting a PI call at the end of a game is completely changed if the rule is passed.

It should be a spot foul inside the last 2 minutes of both halves, but otherwise a 15 yard penalty, IMO.

Meh.. 

I agree with this however:

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Defensive holding, like offensive holding, should be a 10 yard penalty, not an automatic first down. Nothing like a 3rd and 20, and a hold around 5-10 yards away giving up a first down.

Correct. Or make offensive holding a loss of down.

But PI should just be a spot foul. Maybe the refs should look into whats catch-able and whatnot. If your pass sails out of bounds, you over throw WR by 10 yards or under throw him 10 yards, STOP throwing the yellow. Literally nothing is being interfered with. 

Hmmm, you’re a DB, seemingly beat on a pass more than 15 yards down field ... commit the PI and be happy that you contained the gain to just 15 yds.   I don’t like the proposed change.  I also don’t like the bad calls / non-calls that all too often happen as well, though.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, chad72 said:

I am surprised no one brings that up. That might lead to more defensive holding penalties actually called because if the 10 yards results in a first down, so be it, but if it does not, you get one more down. Sometimes, whistles are swallowed because of the impact a holding call could make on the defensive side.

I think we have brought it up in the past but I agree. I don't think any penalty should carry an automatic first down except personal fouls.

I would love for the PI rule to be changed, because it reverses a lot of what makes the Patriots a good team. Belichick likes to use an oversized receiver, such as Gronk, because you have to be more physical with them when contending against passes.  It forces the CB into a lose-lose situation, because either they're too physical and they get the pass interference, or they're not physical enough and give up a pass completion. The result is the same, and the Patriots know this.

The only way it's not a lose-lose is if Brady puts the ball in a bad spot or has a miscommunication with a teammate, but that rarely happens.

On 01/03/2018 at 6:09 PM, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Meh.. 

I agree with this however:

Correct. Or make offensive holding a loss of down.

But PI should just be a spot foul. Maybe the refs should look into whats catch-able and whatnot. If your pass sails out of bounds, you over throw WR by 10 yards or under throw him 10 yards, STOP throwing the yellow. Literally nothing is being interfered with. 

Loss of down is extreme. It happens on every play

42 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

But defensive holding is automatically a first down. The offense should get penalized too

Certainly make offensive pass interference a loss of down penalty....

.....Right now, offensive pas interference just means you get another chance a few yards further back

Edited by oldunclemark

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:36 AM, crazycolt1 said:

The PI call have always been controversial.  It goes with the assumption the receiver is going to catch the ball.

Exactly right.

The offensive player can initiate contact without that being a foul.

The receiver can knock the defender down in the act of making a catch without that being a foul as long as he does not use his hands to push off

The defender isn't allowed to do either one

This is one of those wishy-washy things where no matter what the ruling is, there will be negative connotations surrounding it and scenarios that help/harm a team unnecessarily. 

But I'm for it. As much as it would be subjective if you add a flagrant aspect to it, it's better than just handing the offense 50 yards for not catching the football. It really shifts momentum and changes games.

Perfect example, the Jags getting screwed at the end of the half of the AFCCG. Would have been up 14-3. Instead a PI puts NE in scoring position. They make it 14-10 and end up winning the game by 4 points. 

Lol I for one actually like the rule we have in place now..it’s great that it’s a game changer that means don’t screw up in crucial moments..the downside is the refs are too blind to see what is and what is not a pass int 

Personally I don't like the spot foul call. NFL offenses can easily move the ball up and down the field as is. A 15 yard penalty is a big penalty already. Obviously a first down to boot. I see nothing wrong with letting the officials determine if someone just runs into a guy or is hand fighting etc and a guy that purposely just grabs and tackles a receiver. The offense has so many advantages...a spot foul seems a little over the top to assume a guy is going to catch the ball. I also think defensive holding should be a 10 yard penalty and replay of down and not just an automatic first down unless the holding happens beyond the first down marker then its 10 yards and first down. Defensive holding and illegal contact both to me should both be 10yds and first down only if pass the yardage marker when it occurred. The offense already gets another try at the down...and the yardage is penalty enough imo.

Two things I hate most is rewarding say a horribly underthrown pass that the receiver redirects his path into the defender down the field for a bad throw and getting say a 50 yard gain and say a team on 3rd and 20 and a lb or corner holds a guy well before the yard to gain and we give the offense also a first down. Just me...may not be popular and probably wouldn't get implemented but those are my pet peeves.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:32 PM, oldunclemark said:

I'd like to see  a 'cap' on pass interference at 30 yards..

If you make pass interference a mandatory 15-yard penalty, defenders will simply grab receivers in the final seconds of a game and take the 15-yard hit to run the clock out... 

But games can't end on a defensive penalty...