Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jarvis Landry visiting Indianapolis to talk with the Dolphins

The Miami Dolphins placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on wide receiver Jarvis Landryearlier this month, seemingly locking the receiver into another year with the South Florida franchise. As soon as they made the franchise tag move, however, speculation began swirling that the team really was looking to trade Landry, who is heading into his fifth season in the NFL after breaking the record for most receptions in a player’s first four years. As the NFL Scouting Combine kicks off this week, the expectation is the Dolphins will be looking for a trading partner, attempting to ship away their 2014 second-round draft pick.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/2/27/17058096/miami-dolphins-trade-jarvis-landry-rumors-nfl-combine

Perhaps they're looking for a trade?

11 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

The Miami Dolphins placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on wide receiver Jarvis Landryearlier this month, seemingly locking the receiver into another year with the South Florida franchise. As soon as they made the franchise tag move, however, speculation began swirling that the team really was looking to trade Landry, who is heading into his fifth season in the NFL after breaking the record for most receptions in a player’s first four years. As the NFL Scouting Combine kicks off this week, the expectation is the Dolphins will be looking for a trading partner, attempting to ship away their 2014 second-round draft pick.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/2/27/17058096/miami-dolphins-trade-jarvis-landry-rumors-nfl-combine

Perhaps they're looking for a trade?

If all it takes is to take on his tag, I would take that deal in a heartbeat.

PS

What would you guess they try to get for him though? A 4th and absorb the tag is my guess if they were open to a deal. That said I am an absolute layman in contract and technical details.

• MTC locked this topic
  • MTC unlocked this topic

What slot WR is better than him in FA ? What WR is better than him in the draft right now ? Most importantly what WR is better than him on the Colts besides Hilton ? He is definitely worth a 4 th rd pick and the price. Colts have the money. He's a valuable weapon that CB will hopefully sign.

If a unproven RB is worth a 1st rd 3rd overall pick based off college production ( Barkley ) than a pro bowl slot receiver that is proven and productive every year with mediocre QB talent throwing him the ball definitely deserves a 4th rd pick. It's not rocket science. 

5 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

If a unproven RB is worth a 1st rd 3rd overall pick based off college production ( Barkley ) than a pro bowl slot receiver that is proven and productive every year with mediocre QB talent throwing him the ball definitely deserves a 4th rd pick. It's not rocket science. 

It is not just the 4th round pick.  You are clearly missing the potential 14+ million he is wanting per year to sign with a team.  I would pass on that all day every day.

Just now, SolidGold said:

I agree, but the difference is we'd be paying Landry close to $15 million a year while we're already on the hook for around $11.5-$12 million for Hilton. Hilton thrives in the slot also, so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to pay 2 slot receivers an average of plus $27+ million a year. Barkley, or who ever we take will be making an average of $7.5 million for 4 years. The rookie deal would make Barkley the better option in this scenario, and I'm not even in the Barkley camp. 

17 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

Im sure we could work things out that works great for both sides. I believe CB can make it happen. Great teams aren't cheap. I would pay for top talent. We've gave money to less talent in the past. 

Just how smart would it be to tie up 27 million dollars for two slot receivers? 

2 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

Im sure we could work things out that works great for both sides. I believe CB can make it happen. Great teams aren't cheap. I would pay for top talent. We've gave money to less talent in the past. 

There's nothing wrong with paying for top talent, but positional value comes into play. Good slot WR's are not hard to find and therefore typically don't demand high $$ contracts like outside WR's.

I love Landry. He plays very very hard and catches everything. Works for those extra yards. Not afraid to go over the middle...and most importantly is still a redzone threat out of the slot. If it was just signing him that was one thing...but giving up draft picks I just can't do. Maybe a late draft pick or if they are interested in someone on the roster than perhaps. I thought they were talking about moving Parker..not Landry. I'd pay him TY money...who is on a pretty good contract all things considered...add Landry and TY and then look for a big bodied receiver in draft and I can get excited but I'm not giving up any picks in this draft....not to just over pay the guy at least. He actually fits Carolina more than us. We are a young team building....we aren't one or two pieces away like Carolina who is a playoff team. Great player...just can't afford to mortgage our rebuild.

Just now, IndyScribe said:

Nah, not next year, since this team will probably still be rebuilding. I doubt the Dolphins would want it either. For a 2nd round pick this year? I'd probably do it.

It just depends how well we do this season. If we catch fire and have a better record, who knows? I doubt Miami would do it for a 2nd round pick though. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Swapping 1st rounders with other assets?  Nah, Panthers can deal with him.

I hope this report is false. Giving up draft capital AND giving a big contract to Landry would be a terrible start to what is supposed to be an awesome offseason.

1 hour ago, SolidGold said:

What slot WR is better than him in FA ? What WR is better than him in the draft right now ? Most importantly what WR is better than him on the Colts besides Hilton ? He is definitely worth a 4 th rd pick and the price. Colts have the money. He's a valuable weapon that CB will hopefully sign.

ITs great that you think he's worth a 4...   but odds are Miami wants a 1 or at least a 2 or a package of picks.     I don't see the Dolphins taking just a 4 for Landry.

From the tweet, if a trade were to occur, we would not be giving up our 1st round draft pick. We would be exchanging our picks. 

The Dolphins would get the #3 pick and we would get #11. So we would not lost a 1st round pick, just select later in the round. There will still be good talent available there.

In addition, another player may be in the mix.

19 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

It just depends how well we do this season. If we catch fire and have a better record, who knows? I doubt Miami would do it for a 2nd round pick though. 

They might. It's better than letting him go for free and considering how much other trades have gotten, it might be enough. Our 2nd round pick is pretty high in this draft.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Josina Anderson just reported that the likelihood of a Landry trade is real and the two teams to keep an eye on are the Titans and Colts.  IMO we are trading for him and their RT. Jones. in a combo deal. 

Jones? Who is that?