Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Marvez] Colts will hire Tom Rathman as RBs coach

stitches

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/colts-news-coach-hire-tom-rathman-running-backs-49ers-nebraska/yrqd65tha3c01lnqrlaw7xacd

SN source: Colts hiring 49ers legend to coach running backs 

February 27, 2018 8:27am ESTFebruary 27, 2018 8:27am ESTA source tells Sporting News that the Colts are hiring Tom Rathman as running backs coach.

Frank-Reich-020718-getty-ftr.

NDIANAPOLIS — New Colts head coach Frank Reich is adding a Univ. of Nebraska and San Francisco 49ers legend to his coaching staff. A source told Sporting News that Tom Rathman is being hired as Colts running backs coach.

After a prolific college career with the Cornhuskers, Rathman became a key member of two Super Bowl-winning teams as a multi-threat 49ers fullback from 1986-1993. That includes leading all running backs in receptions (73 for 616 yards) in 1989.

Rathman finished his NFL playing career with Oakland in 1994 before retiring and entering coaching. Rathman enjoyed two stints as San Francisco’s running backs coach (1997-2002, 2009-2016) between stops with Detroit (2003-2005) and the Raiders (2006-2008).

Rathman, 55, spent the 2017 season out of football when he wasn’t retained on the 49ers staff by incoming head coach Kyle Shanahan.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Rathman was the starting FB during the Steve Young Super Bowl years.  WCO.  Lead blocker and pass catcher.   He's been a RB coach for several teams, mainly in CA since that's where he lives.

With exception of his stint in Detroit his stints were with his former teams 

The Detroit stint was with Mariucci

Hey Colts fans. I'm a Niners fan and had to join up just so I could post this...

Tom Rathman isn't a good hire, he's a GREAT hire. Tom survived several Head Coaches in SF because he was so good and the ONLY reason he isn't the RB coach in SF right now is that the Shanahans always bring Bobby Turner with them as a package deal. 

Kyle tried to keep Tom on staff in another position but Tom is all ball and just wanted to coach RBs. It was his decision to leave SF and take the year off.

Frank loves the guy as do pretty much everyone in SF. Thats a great hire.

3 hours ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

Hmmmm. I’m starting to become convinced Gore is coming back. Reich’s eagles inquired about trading for him. And I’m sure Rathman is a big Gore fan as well. 

I don't think this hire has anything to do with Gore.  As a matter of fact, I would be willing to bet that Gore's days in Indy are done.  

Rathman is a very good hire.  He likes a pro set offense...so not sure what that means in terms of personnel.  If it signals Hyde coming to Indy, it's a mixed bag.  Hyde is not much quicker than Gore and is definitely not more elusive.  He runs violently and is prone to injury as a result.  Signing hyde probably means a roster shift that includes a FB and a back up for when Hyde inevitably goes down from injury, but who knows.    

Hyde is actually pretty quick but not real fast in a straight line. Also a violent runner as you said and has a ton of problems staying healthy.

He isn't a great fit in SF for that run scheme which is why I think he'll reach free agency. Shanahan I think it looking for a one-cut slasher and thats not Carlos.

If he can stay healthy in a power scheme Carlos can be a really productive back.

This is the exclamation point on what will go down in history as a great offseason! 

Yet another offensive coach that can bring different philosophies to the weekly offensive play sheets with his extensive knowledge of the WCO from his playing days and Jim Harbaughs offense as well....

I love this signing!

1 hour ago, Aaron86 said:

A backfield with possibly Gore, Hyde and Mack would be awesome. I think Gore has some left in the tank to at least help break a team down.

I dont think we will keep Gore. I'm just saying I dont think we will spend good dollars in FA on a back and then spend the #3 pick in the draft on another back.

2 hours ago, Aaron86 said:

A backfield with possibly Gore, Hyde and Mack would be awesome. I think Gore has some left in the tank to at least help break a team down.

Gore has beat father time to this point.  I don't think the Colts are willing to bet Gore can hold him off for another year.

10 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Gore has beat father time to this point.  I don't think the Colts are willing to bet Gore can hold him off for another year.

I don't think it is much of a bet.  Gore is not going to have a host of teams lining up to sign him.  He'll take a team friendly contract or none at all, and he'll be cut mid-season if he is no longer productive.  The bigger issue is whether a back up/occasional starter RB who doesn't play special teams can justify a roster spot, particularly if Reich adopts a pro set, which is Rathman's strength.  The team will have to sign a dedicated FB if he does, which means one fewer spot available for a RB who doesn't play special teams.

54 minutes ago, krunk said:

I dont think we will keep Gore. I'm just saying I dont think we will spend good dollars in FA on a back and then spend the #3 pick in the draft on another back.

Me either. But it would be nice to have those three. Gores experience would be beneficial to the younger guys.