Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 AFC South will be the most competitive division

CR91

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Regardless, you are still over looking at how good the Jags defense was last season. You do not lead the league in as many categories as they did and the ones they didn't lead the league in they were second.

They also lead the league in rushing.

I wonder if the Bills and Steelers think they are over rated?

Colts fans tend to overvalue how good the Colts are and undervalue how good the others teams in the division are. 

I thinks it’s a bit misguided to say the Colts automatically win with Andrew. The Jags defense was very young and now they have a good year under their belt to build upon. They also were missing their best receiver. 

If I could bet on the Colts having a better record than the Jags I think I’d keep my money right now. 

1 minute ago, deedub75 said:

Colts fans tend to overvalue how good the Colts are and undervalue how good the others teams in the division are. 

I thinks it’s a bit misguided to say the Colts automatically win with Andrew. The Jags defense was very young and now they have a good year under their belt to build upon. They also were missing their best receiver. 

If I could bet on the Colts having a better record than the Jags I think I’d keep my money right now. 

With me I have to see them play Good to Great at least 2 years in a row before I am buying them. Anyone can have 1 lucky long Playoff run, we had one in 2014 without a Running Game and a Bad Defense. At least with Luck we had 3 11 win seasons in a row showing we weren't a 1 year fluke. The Jets made 2 AFC Title Games in a row with Mark Sanchez than fell off the map. I think a lot of people are ready to crown the Jags, to those people I say hold your horses. I think their Defense is Great but as of now I don't see it as an all-time Great Defense. What the Jets had in 2009 and 2010 was just as Great. The Broncos had a better Defense in 2015 as well. Bortles is an Average QB at best too. He had 1 Great game that was vs the Steelers in the Divisional Round. Lets see how he and the Jags handle the pressure of being Good now. They wont be under the radar anymore where teams will overlook them.

2 hours ago, TdungyW/12 said:

You act like Blake is their answer ..... they don’t even rely on Blake that’s WHY they lost and didn’t go further into the SB. Blake sucks and he won’t get better ..... just because he had a decent month or two does not mean he is their answer .... I wouldn’t have extended him I would have gotten someone better. Def can only take you so long .... look at Denver, good def, top 5 def just doesn’t have a QB. 

Carolina shouldnt be THAT bad for getting rid of 2 key players .... and teams just have their time/season UNLESS you have an elite QB that can mask those problems. Look what luck did with the LITTLE help he had. We don’t have that bad of a team we HAD horrible coaching and an even worse GM. Once we get Luck back I guarantee we will be back to the top of the division and in the play offs ... especially when we add some FA linemen and draft Chubb and get back hooker. Just watch and see

Never said he was the answer. I see why they kept him. Top 3 D and a top 6 offense. You do not blow that up. Even as bad as he is at times he got better through the season.

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With me I have to see them play Good to Great at least 2 years in a row before I am buying them. Anyone can have 1 lucky long Playoff run, we had one in 2014 without a Running Game and a Bad Defense. At least with Luck we had 3 11 win seasons in a row showing we weren't a 1 year fluke. The Jets made 2 AFC Title Games in a row with Mark Sanchez than fell off the map. I think a lot of people are ready to crown the Jags, to those people I say hold your horses. I think their Defense is Great but as of now I don't see it as an all-time Great Defense. What the Jets had in 2009 and 2010 was just as Great. The Broncos had a better Defense in 2015 as well. Bortles is an Average QB at best too. He had 1 Great game that was vs the Steelers in the Divisional Round. Lets see how he and the Jags handle the pressure of being Good now. They wont be under the radar anymore where teams will overlook them.

Colts overachieved for 3 seasons and went virtually unchallenged in the division before that came back to reality. And I wouldn’t call a team that has a hot streak in the playoffs lucky. If the Jags streak was lucky then the 2014 Colts season was lucky too. They faced a Bengals team that hasn’t won a playoff game in forever and the Colts had already shut them out. They also faced a Peyton Manning who had seriously declined in the 2nd half of the season. The Jags did something last season that the Colts have done in a long time. They beat the Steelers (twice) and played the Pats close. That’s not a fluke. Their defense played well and they had a running game, which is something the Colts have had, well, in forever. I’m not ready to crown the Jags, even though they are wearing the AFC South crown now. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Teams that play the Jags may adjust their game plans but this stuff about being under the radar or playing overlooked I don't buy. The Jags started the season with a defense that was apparently good. Even fantasy football players knew this and their defense was picked up earlier than most.

1 hour ago, deedub75 said:

Colts overachieved for 3 seasons and went virtually unchallenged in the division before that came back to reality. And I wouldn’t call a team that has a hot streak in the playoffs lucky. If the Jags streak was lucky then the 2014 Colts season was lucky too. They faced a Bengals team that hasn’t won a playoff game in forever and the Colts had already shut them out. They also faced a Peyton Manning who had seriously declined in the 2nd half of the season. The Jags did something last season that the Colts have done in a long time. They beat the Steelers (twice) and played the Pats close. That’s not a fluke. Their defense played well and they had a running game, which is something the Colts have had, well, in forever. I’m not ready to crown the Jags, even though they are wearing the AFC South crown now. 

You say we overachieved for 3 seasons because of our Division but yet the Jags won the Division when it was at its worst and you say nothing about that? Interesting. Our Division was terrible last season for the fact we didn't have our QB and nor did Houston both teams resulting in 4-12 seasons. I can make a strong case that the Jags won our Division by default because it was really a 2 team race and Tennessee is an Above Average team at best.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry, I will trust what Coughlin's opinion over anyone in this forum.

Coughlin can offload bottles at a moments notice. He did it as an insurance policy, but if a better QB comes along you really think he wont jump on that?

On 26/02/2018 at 12:53 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Regardless, you are still over looking at how good the Jags defense was last season. You do not lead the league in as many categories as they did and the ones they didn't lead the league in they were second.

They also lead the league in rushing.

I wonder if the Bills and Steelers think they are over rated?

Calais Campbell isnt getting any younger and sooner or later they will have to pay all those defensive stars. A Seahawks style implosionis imminent. 

Yep it's going to be really tough. Can't predict it right now. Jags/Titans have the edge over us now sadly until proven otherwise.

Texans and Colts have to get their QBs back healthy.

Texans D also fell off the map this past season while a year before they were crazy good there.

A lot left to be determined.

12 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

Coughlin can offload bottles at a moments notice. He did it as an insurance policy, but if a better QB comes along you really think he wont jump on that?

Well he didn't did he? He just re signed Bortles.   He won two super bowls with Eli Manning who most thought that would never happen.

I forgot the Titans have a new coach though too. So in a way the Jags are the only team retaining continuity in the division.

Texans would be more of a favorite to me if Watson can regain form but their D was awful last year so I am not as high on them right now.

7 minutes ago, Jules said:

I forgot the Titans have a new coach though too. So in a way the Jags are the only team retaining continuity in the division.

Texans would be more of a favorite to me if Watson can regain form but their D was awful last year so I am not as high on them right now.

I will predict things once Free Agency and the Draft is over and once I know Luck is 100%. A lot can change from today until Pre-Season. I think getting Luck back and healthy alone gives us the potential of going 8-8. If we nail Free Agency and the Draft and players like Hooker and Kelly are 100% we could actually be Good. We lost 6 games by 7 points or less last season. If Watson comes back healthy, I see Houston being .500 or better as well. The Division will be Good this upcoming season if all the QB's can stay healthy.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will predict things once Free Agency and the Draft is over and once I know Luck is 100%. A lot can change from today until Pre-Season. I think getting Luck back and healthy alone gives us the potential of going 8-8. If we nail Free Agency and the Draft and players like Hooker and Kelly are 100% we could actually be Good. We lost 6 games by 7 points or less last season. If Watson comes back healthy, I see Houston being .500 or better as well. The Division will be Good this upcoming season if all the QB's can stay healthy.

Yeah I really have no idea right now. But I am higher on the Jags and Colts then I am currently on TN/Houston.

4 minutes ago, Jules said:

Yeah I really have no idea right now. But I am higher on the Jags and Colts then I am currently on TN/Houston.

As of now I have no idea either. I will give the Jags their just due and say they are the team to beat in the Division. They won it last season so that is only fair but I have no idea how good we or Houston will be after the Draft and I know the status of the QB's.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As of now I have no idea either. I will give the Jags their just due and say they are the team to beat in the Division. They won it last season so that is only fair but I have no idea how good we or Houston will be after the Draft and I know the status of the QB's.

Thats how I feel. I am giving the Jags respect for making it to the title game and being so close to even the Super Bowl. And they do have a defense that I think can give us some issues.

If Luck comes back healthy enough this year, I think at worst we split with the Jags. 

I didn't like how Houston looked at all last year defensively.......

I don't trust the Titans either.

4 minutes ago, Jules said:

Thats how I feel. I am giving the Jags respect for making it to the title game and being so close to even the Super Bowl. And they do have a defense that I think can give us some issues.

If Luck comes back healthy enough this year, I think at worst we split with the Jags. 

I didn't like how Houston looked at all last year defensively.......

I don't trust the Titans either.

Yeah a lot of people think I bash the Jags on here (well I actually do haha) but I actually think what they accomplished last season was Very Good. Making a Final 4 really isn't easy and they played the Pats well in Foxboro. Having said that I am not sold they will take the next step forward with Blake behind Center. We will see. With Luck healthy at 100% he has never had a season where he wasn't at least 8-8 when he played in games.

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah a lot of people think I bash the Jags on here (well I actually do haha) but I actually think what they accomplished last season was Very Good. Making a Final 4 really isn't easy and they played the Pats well in Foxboro. Having said that I am not sold they will take the next step forward with Blake behind Center. We will see. With Luck healthy at 100% he has never had a season where he wasn't at least 8-8 when he played in games.

Well Coughlin won two super bowls with Eli. Eli has been good at times but never a top tier QB but wears two rings. The Jags are set up pretty similar to what the Giants were.

The Jags lost to the Patriots by 4 points in Foxborough. They are set up right now to take that next step and IMO the Colts are not going to be the team to get in their way next season.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well Coughlin won two super bowls with Eli. Eli has been good at times but never a top tier QB but wears two rings. The Jags are set up pretty similar to what the Giants were.

The Jags lost to the Patriots by 4 points in Foxborough. They are set up right now to take that next step and IMO the Colts are not going to be the team to get in their way next season.

Never know really? In 2015 did you really think we would go from 11-5 and a Final 4 to 8-8 and no Playoffs? Did you think the Falcons would even sniff the SB in 2016 or the Eagles would blow through the Playoff without Wentz and Foles winning MVP. The NFL is strange, one season you can look like world beaters then the next Average. I had Philly wrote off for dead after Wentz went out and so did about 99% that Post here. Also Eli has been the better QB throughout his career compared to Bortles. Eli will make the HOFame IMO.

If the Colts can't win the division next year or aren't ready, would be great to even just be a wildcard team to get back into the playoff cycle.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Never know really? In 2015 did you really think we would go from 11-5 and a Final 4 to 8-8 and no Playoffs? Did you think the Falcons would even sniff the SB in 2016 or the Eagles would blow through the Playoff without Wentz and Foles winning MVP. The NFL is strange, one season you can look world beaters then the next Average. I had Philly wrote off for dead after Wentz went out and so did about 99% that Post here. Also Eli has been the better QB throughout his career compared to Bortles. Eli will make the HOFame IMO.

If Eli makes the HOF it will because he has 2 rings and a super bowl MVP. Not because he was a top tier QB his whole career.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

If Eli makes the HOF it will because he has 2 rings and a super bowl MVP. Not because he was a top tier QB his whole career.

I never said he was Top Tier but he has been better than Bortles and will make the HOFame due to winning 2 SB's and 2 SB MVP's. A better example you could've used is probably Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson that won it all when talking about Blake but it Is really rare that Average QB's win it all. You have to have an all-time special Defense to do so normally. Before you say Foles, in reality Nick Foles is better than Average, he once had a stretch of 27 TD's and 2 INT's in his career. Not sure why teams weren't giving him a chance there for a minute. The jags would be real dangerous if they had Foles. His accuracy is so much better than Bortles is.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well he didn't did he? He just re signed Bortles.   He won two super bowls with Eli Manning who most thought that would never happen.

Precisely what i meant, he structured the contract so that it isnt a burden.. doesnt exactly sound like confidence does it? Eli is the Chad and bottles is the virgin 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never said he was Top Tier but he has been better than Bortles and will make the HOFame due to winning 2 SB's and 2 SB MVP's. A better example you could've used is probably Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson that won it all when talking about Blake but it Is really rare that Average QB's win it all. You have to have an all-time special Defense to do so normally. Before you say Foles, in reality Nick Foles is better than Average, he once had a stretch of 27 TD's and 2 INT's in his career. Not sure why teams weren't giving him a chance there for a minute. The jags would be real dangerous if they had Foles. His accuracy is so much better than Bortles is.

What you don't seem to understand is the Jags have the start of the type of defense it takes to make a super bowl without a top tier QB. With Coughlin at the helm they are not going to fall anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Jules said:

Your correct on Texans D. And Watson's stats were at a high pace before injury. But he only played half a season. Basically still a rookie and lots of his passes were throw up for grabs and Texan receivers came down with them. He still needs to show if he's the 'real deal' or not. If he is, je may have to carry his football team caus that D looked pretty bad. 

I think things are finally going to fall for us and have a good chance as division champs.

What you don't seem to understand is the Jags have the start of the type of defense it takes to make a super bowl without a top tier QB. With Coughlin at the helm they are not going to fall anytime soon.

I think they fall this season!

Of course it just my opinion like everyone else here.

1 minute ago, Alex22 said:

Precisely what i meant, he structured the contract so that it isnt a burden.. doesnt exactly sound like confidence does it? Eli is the Chad and bottles is the virgin 

Confidence has zero to do with signing a smart contract.

There have been no reports of the Jags looking for another QB. You can bet if Coughlin thought for one minute he couldn't win with Bortles you don't know him very well.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I respect Coughlin so maybe? I just don't know, it's too early to tell IMO. In 2009 the Jets even had a better Defense and went on to be Very Good in 2010 too but they had Mark Sanchez at QB. Sanchez played Average in those years but it wasn't good enough, then they fell off the map. I just think we need to pump the brakes on how good or great the Jags can be. If they would've got Kirk Cousins or Nick Foles for example I would be scared right now. Not because I think Cousins or Foles are Great but they are better than Bortles is IMO. Had Eli went to the Jags that would've been scary too. JMO's.

-Also too, not saying you say this, but I cant figure why some people think the Jags winning the Division was something special and we won it in 2013 and 2014 it wasn't? How was the Division better last season compared to 13/14? I think it was actually worse because the QB situations in Indy and Houston. Even in 2012 when we went 11-5, Houston was 12-4.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I respect Coughlin so maybe? I just don't know, it's too early to tell IMO. In 2009 the Jets even had a better Defense and went on to be Very Good in 2010 too but they had Mark Sanchez at QB. Sanchez played Average in those years but it wasn't good enough, then they fell off the map. I just think we need to pump the brakes on how good or great the Jags can be. If they would've got Kirk Cousins or Nick Foles for example I would be scared right now. Not because I think Cousins or Foles are Great but they are better than Bortles is IMO. Had Eli went to the Jags that would've been scary too. JMO's.

-Also too, not saying you say this, but I cant figure why some people think the Jags winning the Division was something special and we won it in 2013 and 2014 it wasn't? How was the Division better last season compared to 13/14? I think it was actually worse because the QB situations in Indy and Houston. Even in 2012 when we went 11-5, Houston was 12-4.

Was Coughlin running the Jets?

Where the brakes need pumping is thinking the Colts are going to win the AFC south next season.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never said the Colts were going to win the AFC South but many in here seem like the Jags are SB bound.

The Jags have just as good a chance than anyone else does in the AFC.

You looking at Bortles and thinking he is not good enough may be way off base.

His numbers this last season were 3,687 yds.- 21 Tds.- 13 picks- 60.2 percent- 84.7 QB rating. He also ran for 322 yds and 2 Tds.

Those numbers are not near as bad as what you represent of how bad he is.

22 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Jags have just as good a chance than anyone else does in the AFC.

You looking at Bortles and thinking he is not good enough may be way off base.

His numbers this last season were 3,687 yds.- 21 Tds.- 13 picks- 60.2 percent- 84.7 QB rating. He also ran for 322 yds and 2 Tds.

Those numbers are not near as bad as what you represent of how bad he is.

Did you watch him vs Buffalo in the Playoffs? He was 12-23 with 87 Yards passing and couldn't throw a 10 Yard pass with any accuracy at all. Yes he can be Good at times like his Stats point out but really bad at times by the way he played vs Buffalo = he is Average IMO. I guess because the Jags won, that just gets overlooked he was Bad that game vs Buffalo. They would've lost in Round 1 had Buffalo had any kind of Offense. They beat the Bills 10-3 and Bortles looked Bad. They were super fortunant to win that game. He is very capable of putting up a stinker is why I don't trust the Jags making the next step. You have your opinion and I have mine. We will have to see. I would be willing to make a friendly wager with you that they don't even make it back to the AFC Title Game. I could see them in the Divisional Round again if they win the Division, Championship Game - not sure?

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Did you watch him vs Buffalo in the Playoffs? He was 12-23 with 87 Yards passing and couldn't throw a 10 Yard pass with any accuracy at all. Yes he can be Good at times like his Stats point out but really bad at times by the way he played vs Buffalo = he is Average IMO. I guess because the Jags won, that just gets overlooked he was Bad that game vs Buffalo. They would've lost in Round 1 had Buffalo had any kind of Offense. They beat the Bills 10-3 and Bortles looked Bad. They were super fortunant to win that game. He is very capable of putting up a stinker is why I don't trust the Jags making the next step. You have your opinion and I have mine. We will have to see. I would be willing to make a friendly wager with you that they don't even make it back to the AFC Title Game. I could see them in the Divisional Round again if they win the Division, Championship Game - not sure?

Yeah he was pretty bad vs. Buffalo. It's hard to get a truly good read at times on Bortles. Sometimes he suprises me and then another week he has a clunker.

I don't really hate Bortles as much as many do though it seems lol.

Who I have begun to hate though is Alex Smith, I can't stand him getting my hopes up so many times. Dude is such a let down and overrated trash at times.

7 minutes ago, Jules said:

Yeah he was pretty bad vs. Buffalo. It's hard to get a truly good read at times on Bortles. Sometimes he suprises me and then another week he has a clunker.

I don't really hate Bortles as much as many do though it seems lol.

Who I have begun to hate though is Alex Smith, I can't stand him getting my hopes up so many times. Dude is such a let down and overrated trash at times.

Yeah that poor guy is jinxed when it comes Playoff time regarding Smith. Regarding Bortles, yeah 1 week he is Good and then the next week he cant throw a 10 yard pass to save his life is why my Average assessment is fair IMO.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that poor guy is jinxed when it comes Playoff time regarding Smith. Regarding Bortles, yeah 1 week he is Good and then the next week he cant throw a 10 yard pass to save his life is why my Average assessment is fair IMO.

If the jags have any success next season( I feel strongly they won't) it won't be because of Bortles. It will be INSPITE of Bortles.

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You failed to mention he rushed for 88 yards in that game. The Jags do not ask him to win games with his arm. The thing is the patriots were just as fortunate to win their game against the Jags. They didn't get the lead till a little over 2 minutes left in the game. Bortles threw zero interceptions in the playoffs. He was without his best WR the whole season.  You also failed to remember that Bortles had been injured too. He needed wrist surgery after the season ended.

You see, both of us can come up with reasons for both opinions.

You can hand pick games to make him look bad but I can also do the same with him looking good.

I will pick the championship game against the patriots. Bortles-23/36 293 yds. 1 Td---Brady-26/38 290 yds. 2 Tds 

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry, I will trust what Coughlin's opinion over anyone in this forum.

Yeah he has that over all of us but, still I think they don’t want to over pay a new QB like cousins and they don’t want to draft a rookie seeing as they went to the championship game. Watch bortles will go back to his normal 18 int and 7 TD self again. 

If if not I will gladly accept I was wrong.

14 hours ago, runthepost said:

Never said he was the answer. I see why they kept him. Top 3 D and a top 6 offense. You do not blow that up. Even as bad as he is at times he got better through the season.

I just think they don’t want to over pay for someone like cousins and didn’t want to start over and draft a QB. So they settled with what they have .... it shows in his extension in how he isn’t the highest paid QB. IMO he will resort back to the 17int and 8 TD this season.