Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 AFC South will be the most competitive division

CR91

Really hard to say that since both us and the texans finished 4-12, but if we look at the players coming back for both teams, watson watt and mercilus and and of course a potential healthy andrew luck who hasn't been healthy since his mvp like 2014 season. The jaguars and titans both won playoffs games and are set for future success. This division isn't the cake walk it was during the manning years or andrew's early years anymore. This division will be something to watch from now. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jags reached their pinnacle last season. It's all downhill for them from here on. Them giving Bortles a lucrative extension is more reason for them sliding.

I think the Titans will also take steps back.

Watson will probably need to continue his level of play because of the questions on defense.

I think, hope Luck will be back. I like Reich and anxious to see how he implements his Offense. I think if Ballard has a good offseason and Luck is back there's no reason we can't do well in our division.

Of course the others have the off-season as well to improve.

30 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The Jags reached their pinnacle last season. It's all downhill for them from here on. Them giving Bortles a lucrative extension is more reason for them sliding.

Watson will probably need to continue his level of play because of the questions on defense.

I think, hope Luck will be back. I like Reich and anxious to see how he implements his Offense. I think if Ballard has a good offseason and Luck is back there's no reason we can't do well in our division.

So did the Jags lose some defensive players?  They made the AFC championship game with Bortles and I don't see them dropping at all.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So did the Jags lose some defensive players?  They made the AFC championship game with Bortles and I don't see them dropping at all.

I don't see them making the SB either, I really don't. They played perfect Football in the Playoffs and had no pressure on them like we did in 2014. Lets see how they do being the favorites. People want to say they have a Great Defense too, yeah it's Great but it's not 2000/2006 Ravens Great where you can plug in Joe Pesci at QB and win.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't see them making the SB either, I really don't. They played perfect Football in the Playoffs and had no pressure on them like we did in 2014. Lets see how they do being the favorites. People want to say they have a Great Defense too, yeah it's Great but it's not 2000/2006 Ravens Great where you can plug in Joe Pesci at QB and win.

Think what you want. I think their defense is only going to get better.

Bortles don't have to be a great QB for the Jags to win.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Think what you want. I think their defense is only going to get better.

Bortles don't have to be a great QB for the Jags to win.

I am not so sure they even win the Division if Andrew Luck and Watson come back 100%. Jags won the Division by default because the Colts and Texans didn't have their QB's. We will see.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not so sure they even win the Division if Andrew Luck and Watson come back 100%. Jags won the Division by default because the Colts and Texans didn't have their QB's. We will see.

So they beat the Bills and the Steelers by default too?

I think you are under valuing how good their defense really is.

The Jags beat the Texans head to head with Watson 29-7.

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Tom Savage played and was the starter in Week1 vs the Jags. Watson didn't come in untill the game was out of hand. The Texans were in too deep a hole to come back at that point. So the Jags didn't beat Watson.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

First Aaron Colvin, the Jags CB is unlikely to be back:

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2018/2/22/17039866/jaguars-unlikely-to-bring-back-aaron-colvin

Second, they beat the Bills 10-7. The Bills shouldn't have been in the playoffs.

Third, Deshaun Watson played only in the second half of the season opener, he wasn't expecting to play down 29-0 in the second half but Savage got yanked.

Jus' Sayin'

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tom Savage played and was the starter in Week1 vs the Jags. Watson didn't come in untill the game was out of hand. The Texans were in too deep a hole to come back at the point. So the Jags didn't beat Watson.

Regardless, you are still over looking at how good the Jags defense was last season. You do not lead the league in as many categories as they did and the ones they didn't lead the league in they were second.

They also lead the league in rushing.

I wonder if the Bills and Steelers think they are over rated?

3 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2018/2/22/17039866/jaguars-unlikely-to-bring-back-aaron-colvin

Second, they beat the Bills 10-7. The Bills shouldn't have been in the playoffs.

Third, Deshaun Watson played only in the second half of the season opener, he wasn't expecting to play down 29-0 in the second half but Savage got yanked.

Jus' Sayin'

Yeah just Posted Savage started not Watson to my good friend Crazy.

3 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

Jus' Sayin'

Colvin? That's not even one of the 6 defensive players they sent to the pro bowl.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Regardless, you are still over looking at how good the Jags defense was last season. You do not lead the league in as many categories as they did and the ones they didn't lead the league in they were second.

They also lead the league in rushing.

I wonder if the Bills and Steelers think they are over rated?

Jags deserve huge credit for beating the Steelers but I think Ben is washed up. If our 2014 team played last years Steelers we would've beat them, they came out like chumps against Jacks. Last years Pats weren't near as Great as their 2014 team either so lets not say Jacks played them better than we did. 2014 Pats would've curb stomped the Jags, their D was much better.

36 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

In the last month of the season their Defense gave up 45 to SF, 42 to Pitt, and 24 to the pats. So its a good unit BUT NOT the Steel Curtain D/ '85 Bears / von Miller's broncos etc...

And now it looks like they hancuffed themselves to Bortles a few more seasons. But most of all I base my opinion is that they are usually a low tier team. Like the Browns, Lions, Bills etc.. I don't expect organizations like them to be relatve for long. It's like the Football Gods, the League, the advertisers, the networks, something somewhere frowns on some organizations.

They had a great season, especially for them. Sooner than later they will be the Jags again, imo.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jags deserve huge credit for beating the Steelers but I think Ben is washed up. If our 2014 team played last years Steelers we would've beat them, they came out like chumps against Jacks. 

What? Steelers were 13-3 and 2 seed in the AFC. Man, you will go to any lengths to ignore the fact.

8 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

In the last month of the season their Defense gave up 45 to SF, 42 to Pitt, and 24 to the pats. So its a good unit BUT NOT the Steel Curtain D/ '85 Bears / von Miller's broncos etc...

And now it looks like they hancuffed themselves to Bortles a few more seasons. But most of all I base my opinion is that they are usually a low tier team. Like the Browns, Lions, Bills etc.. I don't expect organizations like them to be relatve for long. It's like the Football Gods, the League, the advertisers, the networks, something somewhere frowns on some organizations.

They had a great season, especially for them. Sooner than later they will be the Jags again, imo.

We shall see but I think they will have a better record than 10-6 next season.

I think the AFC South will be a great conference.    Not sure I'm ready to proclaim THE most competitive just yet...

But among the most --- sure.

You could see the worst team in the conference being 8-8 and the other teams winning 9, 10, and 11 games.    It's a talented division.

mehh, the Jags went ahead and made it clear they are sticking with Bortles, i wouldn't trust him to get me in to the playoffs, going to be relying on that defense for a while, doesn't always work.

Titans barely scraped in to the playoffs, ahead of a better team the Chargers, barely got by the Chiefs with a nice comeback. The Pats made them look like they did not belong. New coach and QB Mariota who is very inconsistent. They could be an 8-8 team this year.

Texans has an injury riddled, aging defense that is a shell of what is was the previous 5 or 6 years. They have a Quarterback who is coming off a hard injury. If Watson return to form they could be good

Colts could be the best team in the division if Luck returns to form, they could be the worst by far if he is still injured or a shell of himself after his injuries.

I think there is a lot of potential, but too many "what ifs" to tell. Jags and Titans slide IMO and the Texans and Colts are both relying on their quarterbacks to return, so i would say the NFC south currently is the most competitive. Mid season though this division might be looking good.

16 minutes ago, runthepost said:

3 teams will go to the playoffs from the south.

I appreciate the enthusiasm of the off-season...    but we haven't even had free agency or the draft...

Let's not get out over our skis just yet...  

Let's wait until June when we'll all have a better idea.....

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I appreciate the enthusiasm of the off-season...    but we haven't even had free agency or the draft...

Let's not get out over our skis just yet...  

Let's wait until June when we'll all have a better idea.....

We wont even have an idea till maybe half way through the season.

All these opinions, scenarios and arguments in this forum means zero.

Ballard will either trade down or pick the best player he thinks makes this team better. It don't matter what anyone else thinks but him and his scouting staff.

I sure don't wish time away but it will be a relief when the off season is over.

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

They have all defensive players on contract for a few years. They will drop due to Luck returning because they shouldn’t have 2 easy wins on us. They have to make playoffs to reach the AFC championship and if I’m not mistaken, that great defense lost to the Jets last year and gave up 30+ points to the 49ers. 

8 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

They have all defensive players on contract for a few years. They will drop due to Luck returning because they shouldn’t have 2 easy wins on us. They have to make playoffs to reach the AFC championship and if I’m not mistaken, that great defense lost to the Jets last year. 

Their defense gave up 30 plus (40 plus if you count Bortles' mistakes) to the 49ers, and 40 plus to the Steelers in the divisional round (though 1 was a late garbage time TD). Yes, I do think Garropolo is a very good QB because of his quick twitch release AND the ability to move outside the pocket which makes him mighty hard to defend, which the next season will show. Thus, when they play very good QBs, they will give up points and Bortles will have to make more plays as the QBs in the division improve, IMO. 

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Their defense gave up 30 plus (40 plus if you count Bortles' mistakes) to the 49ers, and 40 plus to the Steelers in the divisional round (though 1 was a late garbage time TD). Yes, I do think Garropolo is a very good QB because of his quick twitch release AND the ability to move outside the pocket which makes him mighty hard to defend, which the next season will show. Thus, when they play very good QBs, they will give up points and Bortles will have to make more plays as the QBs in the division improve, IMO. 

Exactly. If Reich is as good as we hope at drawing up plays + some help from our coordinators, we should be able to outscore the Jags. Hopefully we can add Robinson. The Jags really don’t need a great receiver for their offense to work, and they can’t afford to not have a good RB with Bortles. 

15 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I agree 

same thing happens every year with every team. Carolina went 15-1 but didn’t do crap the next year. Every team has their year then go away. There are exceptions but, the teams that stay relevant have elite QB’s. The jags do not .... and for some reason signed Blake to an extension. If they had a better QB that could actually do something they would have gone further. Titans they took a step back but mariots was Injured most the time. Texans won’t be a problem .... too many holes. Colts I say will be division champs IF luck returns ..... other then that I dunno. 

Yeah the division's definitely gonna be tough. Last offseason was where I started thinking it would stop being a cakewalk, now I think it's gonna be one of the better divisions in the league.

Anybody thinking we can just get Luck back and jump right back on top of the South is putting pretty high expectations on Ballard and Reich, and Luck for that matter. Not that they can't, but it won't be an easy feat. Like it or not we have arguably the least talented roster top to bottom in the AFC South. They have a tough job ahead.

3 hours ago, TdungyW/12 said:

I agree 

same thing happens every year with every team. Carolina went 15-1 but didn’t do crap the next year. Every team has their year then go away. There are exceptions but, the teams that stay relevant have elite QB’s. The jags do not .... and for some reason signed Blake to an extension. If they had a better QB that could actually do something they would have gone further. Titans they took a step back but mariots was Injured most the time. Texans won’t be a problem .... too many holes. Colts I say will be division champs IF luck returns ..... other then that I dunno. 

Carolina let go of their best corner then their best defensive player was hurt. You see this year they were in the playoffs. Titans got rid of a bad coach for a better coach. Jags had a top 10 offense even with Blake. He will be better next year. And you can’t say we will win because of Luck. The talent gap between us and everyone else will cancel out us having Luck.

2 hours ago, runthepost said:

Carolina let go of their best corner then their best defensive player was hurt. You see this year they were in the playoffs. Titans got rid of a bad coach for a better coach. Jags had a top 10 offense even with Blake. He will be better next year. And you can’t say we will win because of Luck. The talent gap between us and everyone else will cancel out us having Luck.

You act like Blake is their answer ..... they don’t even rely on Blake that’s WHY they lost and didn’t go further into the SB. Blake sucks and he won’t get better ..... just because he had a decent month or two does not mean he is their answer .... I wouldn’t have extended him I would have gotten someone better. Def can only take you so long .... look at Denver, good def, top 5 def just doesn’t have a QB. 

Carolina shouldnt be THAT bad for getting rid of 2 key players .... and teams just have their time/season UNLESS you have an elite QB that can mask those problems. Look what luck did with the LITTLE help he had. We don’t have that bad of a team we HAD horrible coaching and an even worse GM. Once we get Luck back I guarantee we will be back to the top of the division and in the play offs ... especially when we add some FA linemen and draft Chubb and get back hooker. Just watch and see

4 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

You act like Blake is their answer ..... they don’t even rely on Blake that’s WHY they lost and didn’t go further into the SB. Blake sucks and he won’t get better ..... just because he had a decent month or two does not mean he is their answer .... I wouldn’t have extended him I would have gotten someone better. Def can only take you so long .... look at Denver, good def, top 5 def just doesn’t have a QB. 

Carolina shouldnt be THAT bad for getting rid of 2 key players .... and teams just have their time/season UNLESS you have an elite QB that can mask those problems. Look what luck did with the LITTLE help he had. We don’t have that bad of a team we HAD horrible coaching and an even worse GM. Once we get Luck back I guarantee we will be back to the top of the division and in the play offs ... especially when we add some FA linemen and draft Chubb and get back hooker. Just watch and see

Sorry, I will trust what Coughlin's opinion over anyone in this forum.