Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bradley Chubb's Technique(hands, feet, mid-snap adjustments, etc) by John Owning

Here's a fantastic article by John Owning describing and illustrating with video how special of a technician Bradley Chubb is. This is why I've been comparing him to Joey Bosa around here. He has an expansive repertoire of hand moves, he sets up the tackles with both his hands and his footwork and he also has the ability to fluidly adjust to what's happening mid-snap. Here's the article with videos to help illustrate the points. It's very much worth reading:

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl-draft/bradley-chubb-cream-of-crop-in-2018-nfl-draft-edge-class/

Bradley Chubb cream of crop in 2018 NFL Draft EDGE class

John OwningPublished  Feb 11, 2018 By John Owning 

USATSI_10329735.jpg

What does it take to be at the pinnacle of edge defender play in any given NFL Draft class?

In 2016, Ohio State’s Joey Bosa stood above the rest based on his technical mastery of the position. Bosa was equally dominant against the run and pass, using skilled hands and improving footwork to beat and bludgeon opposing offensive linemen with regularity. While the level of competition for Bosa changed once he entered the NFL, his level of play did not, producing 111 tackles, 43 run stops and 23 sacks in two years

In 2017, Myles Garrett was the king of the castle as the first pick in the draft. Garrett relied on his unbelievable physical gifts to become the premier NFL Draft prospect on the board. Garrett’s superb get-off, powerful hands and flexible lower half allowed him to bend and turn the corner at angles unseen by anyone not named Von Miller. Despite battling several injuries throughout his rookie campaign, Garrett still demonstrated why he was the top talent in the 2017 draft, recording 31 tackles, six run stops and seven sacks in 11 games (nine starts).

Just like 2016 and 2017, the top prospect in the 2018 NFL Draft’s edge class is clear: Bradley Chubb. Recording 198 tackles, 54.5 tackles for loss and 25 sacks, the N.C. State product is much more Bosa than Garrett. It will become apparent once the NFL Scouting Combine rolls around in early March, but Chubb doesn’t display the freakish athletic traits that made Garrett such a valuable prospect. That’s not to say Chubb is devoid of athleticism; it’s merely not the quality which makes him elite.

Chubb is highly athletic, but his excellence most centrally flows from a technical proficiency that is by far the best in this class — much like Bosa in 2016. Chubb is a craftsman in the way he consistently defeats opposing linemen, and while athletes play in the NFL, it’s the craftsmen who dominate the league. The ones who marry the physical talent with an integrated technique that is ingrained through thousands of repetitions, elevating their skills to point where they can succeed against the best competition in the world.

...Go to full article here... 

I watched a lot of tape on him. Often he looks hesitant rushing the passer and takes awhile to diagnose the play. Doesn't look to have elite speed coming of the edge. His main strength is presence in the run game. He doesnt get pushed back and holds his ground well. I'm not sure he's going to be good as bosa in the pass rush department and he's not a physical freak like Garrett. 

24 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If Chubb is the next Joey Bosa, but with better athleticism and speed, then I’m all for drafting him!!!

i just fear he isn’t quite as slippery in getting to the QB as Bosa is. 

Why do people think Bosa is not an athlete? If Chubb has similar athleticism to Bosa I'd be all in for drafting him. I don't need him to be better, I need him to be close to Bosa... Bosa killed all the agility, explosiveness and short area burst tests. This is all the working of ESPN and NFL Network hyping the 40 like it's the ultimate test of athleticism. Bosa posted pedestrian 40, but was elite in 10 yard split(much more important than the 40 for pass rushers), elite in 3cone(much more important than the 40), elite in short shuttle(much more important than the 40), great in the  broad jump(much more important than the 40)... 

I need Chubb to drop under 7 sec at the 3 cone. I need him to be under 4.4 at the shuttle, I need him to be in the 1.6s in the 10 yard split. I need him to jump over 10 feet in the broad jump... those are the ones I care about. The 40 is a nice bonus, but it wouldn't sway me either way. 

13 hours ago, stitches said:

Why do people think Bosa is not an athlete? If Chubb has similar athleticism to Bosa I'd be all in for drafting him. I don't need him to be better, I need him to be close to Bosa... Bosa killed all the agility, explosiveness and short area burst tests. This is all the working of ESPN and NFL Network hyping the 40 like it's the ultimate test of athleticism. Bosa posted pedestrian 40, but was elite in 10 yard split(much more important than the 40 for pass rushers), elite in 3cone(much more important than the 40), elite in short shuttle(much more important than the 40), great in the  broad jump(much more important than the 40)... 

I need Chubb to drop under 7 sec at the 3 cone. I need him to be under 4.4 at the shuttle, I need him to be in the 1.6s in the 10 yard split. I need him to jump over 10 feet in the broad jump... those are the ones I care about. The 40 is a nice bonus, but it wouldn't sway me either way. 

Don't try to explain the bolded to JShipp.  

Chubb is the next B. Werner. (sarcasm)

I'm just hoping that Ballard does enough in FA, that allows us going into the draft not solely after one player or position. Hopefully he can address some of the glaring needs so we can take top player on his board. But if we go into the draft with basically Basham and sheard as our only two DE, I think Chubb has to be the pick no matter who's there or what trade down is available. 

I've been pretty neutral on the Chubb/Barkley debate.  i don't think Barkley is all that special.  Chubb however, there's highlights of him manhandling Nelson a couple times, Nelson being the top ranked OL in the draft and one that many of the scouts say is better than over half the starting guards in the league. Really starting to lean towards Chubb.

There are plenty of freakish athletes in the NFL that never realize their potential. In order to realize their potential, they have to focus on developing their skills, (had usage, footwork, diagnosing plays in an instant). Chubb already has shown this - good hand usage and good footwork. He is one of the best pass rushers coming out of college and also one of the best against the run.

At the very least, if you select Chubb you end up with a very good player -- a bigger version of Sheard. If he continues to develop then he can become a special player.

17 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I've been pretty neutral on the Chubb/Barkley debate.  i don't think Barkley is all that special.  Chubb however, there's highlights of him manhandling Nelson a couple times, Nelson being the top ranked OL in the draft and one that many of the scouts say is better than over half the starting guards in the league. Really starting to lean towards Chubb.

Here's the video of Chubb vs McGlinchey:

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Do you have a link or video of Chubb manhandling Quenton Nelson? I'd have a hard time believing that I guess. But if he did then yes we need Chubb on this team. 

Just now, BProland85 said:

I won't lie I was impressed by how Chubb violently pushed Nelson back there, but again that was 1 play. 

He's rushing on the outside. He's matched up against the tackles huge majority of the time. Only when he stunts inside you can see him against guards. 

10 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Do you have a link or video of Chubb manhandling Quenton Nelson? I'd have a hard time believing that I guess. But if he did then yes we need Chubb on this team. 

Its shown a few times in more than one Chubb video.  I'll see if i can find the one I noticed it in.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

wow

Yeah, Chubb was more laterally quick for gap shooting in the first half but wore down as the game went on vs McGlinchey, it seemed like. However, the body of work was impressive in a rainy game with suspect footing as the game went on. The first thing would be to put him on an NFL regimen to get stronger and better on the stamina front, it probably goes without saying. 

DeShone Kizer, yikes, no wonder the Browns went 0-16.

17 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's the video of Chubb vs McGlinchey:

This is by far the best Chubb looks on tape, but it is played in a monsoon so not sure how reliable that is..He got stood up plenty, he made a few plays but was unblocked on 1..Still looks slow to me...

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

This is by far the best Chubb looks on tape, but it is played in a monsoon so not sure how reliable that is..He got stood up plenty, he made a few plays but was unblocked on 1..Still looks slow to me...

He was not unblocked. He made McGlinchey COMPLETELY miss him. This was designed for McGlinchey to block him... he couldn't even touch him on his inside move. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

He was not unblocked. He made McGlinchey COMPLETELY miss him. This was designed for McGlinchey to block him... he couldn't even touch him on his inside move. 

He shot the gap good...Still on McGlinchey slow reaction more than Chubb...

I would rather draft Edmonds or Davenport, I think Edmonds can eventually play end, he is only 19 I see him adding 15 pounds of grown man muscle, and he has the athleticism and length to be elite...He can play ILb and work as end situationally at first..Him and Davenport have higher ceilings than Chubb..I think good NFL tackles will figure Chubbs moves out pretty quickly and he doesn't have the speed to beat them on outside like Freeney and Mathis did...

Wanna fix the defense?? Draft Edmonds or Davenport in Round 1 after a trade back, pick Vander Esch rd2, Taven Bryan rd 2, if they are there hopefully both will be..Sign Ansah DE, Brown LB, Trumaine JohnsonCB, and resign Melvin..I think Simon is gonna be a 10 sack guy in 4-3 if he stays healthy, guys who don't think he will fit are clueless..

On 2/25/2018 at 6:08 PM, boo2202 said:

I watched a lot of tape on him. Often he looks hesitant rushing the passer and takes awhile to diagnose the play. 

Keep in mind that he isn't always ears pinned back rushing the passer. He's a disciplined player who doesn't freelance for the sake of trying to make a big play, at the expense of leaving his teammates out to dry. There's definitely times where he's rushing and he hesitates, but he also has the plays where he explodes out of his stance and shoots right past the OT. I think his technical prowess paired with a good NFL strength and conditioning program will result in a VERY good pass rusher for years to come.

3 hours ago, Shive said:

Keep in mind that he isn't always ears pinned back rushing the passer. He's a disciplined player who doesn't freelance for the sake of trying to make a big play, at the expense of leaving his teammates out to dry. There's definitely times where he's rushing and he hesitates, but he also has the plays where he explodes out of his stance and shoots right past the OT. I think his technical prowess paired with a good NFL strength and conditioning program will result in a VERY good pass rusher for years to come.

Don't get me wrong, Chubb has the potential to be a really good player. But he also has the chance to be very average. Ballard knows more than I do so if he chooses to take Chubb #3 I will be ok with it. It's not a no brainier pick like some think it is tho. Last two years have had DE that were  easy picks in my opinion (bosa/Garrett). There's more risk with Chubb.