Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some possible good news!

We’ve neglected the offensive line or should I say, filled it with mediocrity for years that it almost cost Andrew Luck his career.  I blame Pagano and Grigson for that.  I have confidence that Ballard understands those errors and wants to ensure we surround Luck with what he needs in linemen and skill players.  

If he can make it happen with Norwell, I believe he will.  I just hope Norwell isn’t already set on becoming a Giant.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

The problem is that the Giants are rumored to be ready to make him the best paid OG in the league and they might have the inside track since Gettleman was the Panthers GM when Norwell got his first chance in the league as UDFA. 

I read that as well.  But they do have Pugh who is scheduled to hit FA.  Will they let Pugh go in favor of Norwell?  Can they afford to sign both to big contracts?   I would think that would be hard to do but we shall see.  

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I read that as well.  But they do have Pugh who is scheduled to hit FA.  Will they let Pugh go in favor of Norwell?  Can they afford to sign both to big contracts?   I would think that would be hard to do but we shall see.  

Pugh has had two disappointing years in a row...     his grades have plummeted.     Reportedly due to a bad back.

in 2017,  his grades were in the 40's....    the ship may have sailed on Pugh staying with NY,  unless he decides to take a team friendly deal for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Pugh has had two disappointing years in a row...     his grades have plummeted.     Reportedly due to a bad back.

in 2017,  his grades were in the 40's....    the ship may have sailed on Pugh staying with NY,  unless he decides to take a team friendly deal for whatever reason.

From what I have been reading he is considered one of the top FA lineman available right behind Norwell.  He is young and can play guard and tackle. I don't know about the injuries but it doesn't seem to dampen his ranking at all.  He is a coveted player from what I'm reading. 

43 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

From what I have been reading he is considered one of the top FA lineman available right behind Norwell.  He is young and can play guard and tackle. I don't know about the injuries but it doesn't seem to dampen his ranking at all.  He is a coveted player from what I'm reading. 

I've read that too.

But I don't know if it's really true.       I suspect those sites are basing it on reputation and draft position and not on how a player has graded out.     Not every site uses that information.

That's my hunch anyway....

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This may indeed be good news.

But I'll believe it when it happens.    The idea that the Panthers will Tag their kicker and not Norwell seems absurd.

I'm skeptical until it becomes official.

Because they might not want to spend 14+ mil on tagging Norwell.  They could tag the kicker at like 5 or 6 mil.  this is a team that is somewhat tight, assuming they do not make cuts.  They also have a good amount of money tied into the line and might look to spend money on other areas of need.  There D and WR's are an area to start.  They might look at some CB's who knows.

I would be fine if we did bring him in, but I have been very stern on the idea of grabbing Zach Fulton and another OG like Hurst/Fusco/Kline and build from that.  You can two for the price of one sort-of-speak.  Fulton has been solid for the most part and has played Center for KC.  The other 3 I mentioned have also look pretty good and Hurst can play the interior very well.  I just hope after FA and the draft we are not riding the same people we currently have as our starting line.

5 hours ago, stitches said:

The problem is that the Giants are rumored to be ready to make him the best paid OG in the league and they might have the inside track since Gettleman was the Panthers GM when Norwell got his first chance in the league as UDFA. 

I get that players will sometimes follow a coach, but are there examples of a players following a GM?  Doesn't make much sense to me.

7 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I get that players will sometimes follow a coach, but are there examples of a players following a GM?  Doesn't make much sense to me.

I agree completely.  I will say though the sample size is much smaller because not too many GM's get fired and just go to another team the next year as a GM.  So it is a tuff comparison for both sides.

Off the top of my head Dorsey and Gettlemen are the only guys I can think of other than Polian.

59 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Because they might not want to spend 14+ mil on tagging Norwell.  They could tag the kicker at like 5 or 6 mil.  this is a team that is somewhat tight, assuming they do not make cuts.  They also have a good amount of money tied into the line and might look to spend money on other areas of need.  There D and WR's are an area to start.  They might look at some CB's who knows.

I understand all of those reasons.

I also understand Norwell is the best OL they have.    

They gave a boat load load of money to Matt Khalil last year.   And they gave another boat load to the other guard.   If you let Norwell walkout the door for nothing, those questionable decisions will look like terrible mistakes.

Again...   I'll believe this when it happens.

42 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I don't think it's the player following the GM. I think it's the GM who signed the player and watched him develop for four years and knows his character being willing to drop major money on him.

5 hours ago, joecolts18 said:

We’ve neglected the offensive line or should I say, filled it with mediocrity for years that it almost cost Andrew Luck his career.  I blame Pagano and Grigson for that.  I have confidence that Ballard understands those errors and wants to ensure we surround Luck with what he needs in linemen and skill players.  

If he can make it happen with Norwell, I believe he will.  I just hope Norwell isn’t already set on becoming a Giant.

Well, he's from Cincinnati so that might work in our favor. 

Just now, Superman said:

I don't think it's the player following the GM. I think it's the GM who signed the player and watched him develop for four years and knows his character being willing to drop major money on him.

I get that part, but that's not the way it was worded.  

7 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Build for the future...don't overpay for the now!

The Colts are in a position where they can overpay for a free agent or two this year and still have cap flexibility in future years. They don't have many, if any, players that they need to worry about signing to a large extension soon. They can sign a couple good free agents while building for the future and preserving cap flexibility. 

5 hours ago, BOTT said:

There’s that, & the fact that the Giants are in salary cap hell. They’d have a real hard time signing Norwell unless they plan on letting Beckham Jr walk next year.

5 hours ago, ar7 said:

The Colts are in a position where they can overpay for a free agent or two this year and still have cap flexibility in future years. They don't have many, if any, players that they need to worry about signing to a large extension soon. They can sign a couple good free agents while building for the future and preserving cap flexibility. 

True, I never intended to indicate that he was too old. It's just that this team has a lot of pieces to add, and I dont like starting off with overpaying a FA. Getting a younger FA of his caliber always means overpaying. I am one who thinks that the cap numbers are not going to continue to rise the way they have. I hope I'm wrong. 

11 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

There’s that, & the fact that the Giants are in salary cap hell. They’d have a real hard time signing Norwell unless they plan on letting Beckham Jr walk next year.

Assume they re-sign OBJ this year, then cut Eli next year. Right now they only have $120m committed in 2019, and that's before they shave off $17m for Eli's contract. The cap will probably hit $190m by then. They also have four highly paid defensive players that might not last that long. I think they'll be fine. 

A reporter at the Charlotte Observer is reporting today it is "highly doubtful" the Panthers resign or tag Norwell.  These reports keep getting stronger.  They think Norwell is looking for a contract similar to Zeitler's 5yr. 60m number. from last year.   He's only 26 so hopefully Ballard is all in on acquiring him.  

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

A reporter at the Charlotte Observer is reporting today it is "highly doubtful" the Panthers resign or tag Norwell.  These reports keep getting stronger.  They think Norwell is looking for a contract similar to Zeitler's 5yr. 60m number. from last year.   He's only 26 so hopefully Ballard is all in on acquiring him.  

That'd be a great price for him. I'm all for it, but in the end, it's up to him.