Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Well this is a brutal, but truthful, assessment.

Narcosys

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

From everything I've read,  Samuels is an under-sized fullback & H-back.    He's not a running back, a guy you want to build your running game around.     On lists,  he's not on any RB lists,  but is usually the first fullback listed.

Just want to make sure we're on the same page here.....

I watched him play this season. Not highlights. He is Very much like dion lewis! He can play RB, but he isn't a pure RB. He can catch passes like a WR. There is a reason the ACC had to create a new position to accommodate him. Seriously, if u can find tape on him (not just highlights) u will be impressed. 

http://profootballtalkline.com/nfl/nfl-draft/player-scouting-report-nfl/news/113517/examining-one-underrated-prospects-2018-nfl-draft-class-jaylen-samuels.html/

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

We left 6 games on the table because of poor coaching and a QB that made some bad decision....   Could have been 9-7 or 10-6 probably with just better coaching.   Which we will now have and Andrew Luck back.   Add in the one great player. Preferable pass rush or MLB along with getting Hooker back, Simon back and Melvin back (hopefully) Geathers gets back to form....   the Oline the way it is will look better (I didn't say good) with scheme change and better play calling.

So I disagree about the AFC South being beyond reach...

Yes we are not close to a deep playoff run, but playoff next season are well with in reach

Water always finds its level. Bad teams find ways to lose games. We could have easily gone 2-14 or 1-15. 

I didn’t say the division was beyond reach. I said that we are not one player and Andrew Luck away from winning it. We have a rookie HC, OC, and DC. Maybe they will be great or maybe they won’t. We have a lot of holes to fill too.  

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hope you're right but fear you're not.   I like what J'Ville and Houston have done.   Tennessee not as much.

We might take a good jump with the new staff..    I think we might jump back up to Wild Card level...   not sure we can get all the way up to the top of the conference in one season.    That might be too big a jump for one year.   I think our roster is pretty thin...

Again...   I hope you're right...

Agreed, Jacksonville looked really strong last year and all the key players will be back, with the experience of having a great season under their belts, so it wont be new to them to be expected to win.

I do just have this feeling in the back of my mind that Watson wont come back as strong as he played last year for Houston.  Complete hunch, but just a feeling.  However, saying that, Watt coming back adds so much for them as well.

I would take 8-8 next year at the moment.  Our 4-12 this year came with games we should have won with better coaching and execution and so its not a huge leap, Andrew being back would automatically give you another couple of wins.  I then think we build to being a strong challenger in the years after that........he says with his fingers crossed.

21 hours ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

Luck is done.  Only a fool would believe that he'll be an NFL caliber thrower after watching him struggle mightily to come back from his serious injury and complicated surgery.  His recovery is way past overdue so quit fooling yourselves.  Draft a QB at #3 or suffer dire consequences.  Brissett isn't even in the same time zone as the top 3 QB prospects in this draft: Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield.  Even drafting Jackson and changing our offense would be a big improvement over Brissett.  We have our capable backup QB in Brissett but nothing more.  Chubb?  Barkley?  A cloned Reggie White or Jim Brown wouldn't do enough good to matter as long as we don't have a good starting QB.  Just review last year's results without a healthy Luck.  And seriously, trade with conference foes Denver or the Jets?  So they can get their franchise QB?  Nonsense.  I'd take Mayfield, who I believe is third best, over any other two players in this draft.

I'll bite on this nonsense. Agree that Brissett is only a capable back up but the qb prospects you mentioned cant carry Luck's jockey strap. I'd take a 75% Luck over those dudes, especially during our rebuilding. Not to mention we owe him a shot at returning due to the beating we have put him through. No way in frozen hades we waste top picks on qb. If, and only if, Luck sees another knife in near future do we get one, still wont be a top pick imo. There are "franchise" qbs in every draft. 

22 hours ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

Luck is done.  Only a fool would believe that he'll be an NFL caliber thrower after watching him struggle mightily to come back from his serious injury and complicated surgery.  His recovery is way past overdue so quit fooling yourselves.  Draft a QB at #3 or suffer dire consequences.  Brissett isn't even in the same time zone as the top 3 QB prospects in this draft: Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield.  Even drafting Jackson and changing our offense would be a big improvement over Brissett.  We have our capable backup QB in Brissett but nothing more.  Chubb?  Barkley?  A cloned Reggie White or Jim Brown wouldn't do enough good to matter as long as we don't have a good starting QB.  Just review last year's results without a healthy Luck.  And seriously, trade with conference foes Denver or the Jets?  So they can get their franchise QB?  Nonsense.  I'd take Mayfield, who I believe is third best, over any other two players in this draft.

Luck's done?!  Well crap.  Hopefully you've informed Ballard of this so he knows what to do this offseason.

On 2/22/2018 at 1:10 PM, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I have had the same surgery as Luck had 3 times, twice on my throwing shoulder! I can assure you Luck A is not done & B You have no idea what your talking about!!:facepalm:

You do not throw a football as many times and as hard as Andrew must to be successful.  NO ONE last year said he'd miss all last season, evidently except the world's foremost expert... you.

11 minutes ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

You do not throw a football as many times and as hard as Andrew must to be successful.  NO ONE last year said he'd miss all last season, evidently except the world's foremost expert... you.

I don't know for sure if Luck will come back and be successful.  Sounds like nobody does except you.  So if he comes back strong and looks like Luck again will you come back here and admit you were wrong?  Is so great.  You have a strong opinion and you should stand with it right or wrong.

7 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I'll bite on this nonsense. Agree that Brissett is only a capable back up but the qb prospects you mentioned cant carry Luck's jockey strap. I'd take a 75% Luck over those dudes, especially during our rebuilding. Not to mention we owe him a shot at returning due to the beating we have put him through. No way in frozen hades we waste top picks on qb. If, and only if, Luck sees another knife in near future do we get one, still wont be a top pick imo. There are "franchise" qbs in every draft. 

I beg you to reread your nonsensical post.  There are franchise qbs in every draft but none of the top three (whoever they are) is a franchise QB?  And nowhere in my post did I claim that Darnold, et al, were better than Andrew.  But, they are all better than Andrew if his shoulder is as bad as I fear.  Please tell us that last March you didn't expect Andrew to play all year?  Ballard must've thought Andrew would play because he didn't add a real backup (Brissett) until after the season was underway.  So now you say all is well.  Based on what?

I have argued -- and I strongly believe -- that even if Andrew is old Andrew, we should still draft a QB at #3.  It's by far the most valuable commodity you can add to any team.  The Colts hopefully won't be picking #3 again.  Failing to use such a precious pick on a QB is poor business indeed.  Would the Cavaliers say no to drafting a top 5 guard/forward prospect because they already have Lebron?

6 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I don't know for sure if Luck will come back and be successful.  Sounds like nobody does except you.  So if he comes back strong and looks like Luck again will you come back here and admit you were wrong?  Is so great.  You have a strong opinion and you should stand with it right or wrong.

I am not wrong.  I've argued that any team with a top 5 pick that failed to draft the most valuable position in football, quarterback, has failed.  Most teams get to the top 5 because they truly stink.  With a healthy Andrew last year I'm sure we wouldn't be picking in the top 5, so we're in a different situation than most.  You're relying on Ballard, the guy who said Luck would play last year, to assess whether Andrew will be fine before Andrew begins throwing a football with authority.  Try throwing a football as hard as you can over and over for dozens, even hundreds of times a day.  Will Andrew be able to do that?  NO ONE KNOWS!

Aside from the obvious alternative that Andrew can't go, thus demanding we draft a QB, failing to take a top rated QB at #3, either by drafting another position player or trading down, means our conference rivals, Denver and the Jets, who are desperate for QBs, will.  Then we get to battle them for 10 years.  If the Cleveland Browns had taken Ben Roethlisberger instead of Kellen Winslow, Jr. how do you think their fortunes would've been?  Would they be 2-20 against the Steelers?  Everyone agreed Winslow was this and that, but in the end, he meant NOTHING to the Browns.  Sure fire first ballot HOF left tackle Joe Thomas did next to nothing for the Browns playoff chances.  You simply MUST have a franchise QB to be a perennial contender.  I'd take two if I could.  Injuries, you know.

58 minutes ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

I beg you to reread your nonsensical post.  There are franchise qbs in every draft but none of the top three (whoever they are) is a franchise QB?  And nowhere in my post did I claim that Darnold, et al, were better than Andrew.  But, they are all better than Andrew if his shoulder is as bad as I fear.  Please tell us that last March you didn't expect Andrew to play all year?  Ballard must've thought Andrew would play because he didn't add a real backup (Brissett) until after the season was underway.  So now you say all is well.  Based on what?

I have argued -- and I strongly believe -- that even if Andrew is old Andrew, we should still draft a QB at #3.  It's by far the most valuable commodity you can add to any team.  The Colts hopefully won't be picking #3 again.  Failing to use such a precious pick on a QB is poor business indeed.  Would the Cavaliers say no to drafting a top 5 guard/forward prospect because they already have Lebron?

No thank you. I'm fine with my own opinion. :sip:

40 minutes ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

I am not wrong.  I've argued that any team with a top 5 pick that failed to draft the most valuable position in football, quarterback, has failed.  Most teams get to the top 5 because they truly stink.  With a healthy Andrew last year I'm sure we wouldn't be picking in the top 5, so we're in a different situation than most.  You're relying on Ballard, the guy who said Luck would play last year, to assess whether Andrew will be fine before Andrew begins throwing a football with authority.  Try throwing a football as hard as you can over and over for dozens, even hundreds of times a day.  Will Andrew be able to do that?  NO ONE KNOWS!

Aside from the obvious alternative that Andrew can't go, thus demanding we draft a QB, failing to take a top rated QB at #3, either by drafting another position player or trading down, means our conference rivals, Denver and the Jets, who are desperate for QBs, will.  Then we get to battle them for 10 years.  If the Cleveland Browns had taken Ben Roethlisberger instead of Kellen Winslow, Jr. how do you think their fortunes would've been?  Would they be 2-20 against the Steelers?  Everyone agreed Winslow was this and that, but in the end, he meant NOTHING to the Browns.  Sure fire first ballot HOF left tackle Joe Thomas did next to nothing for the Browns playoff chances.  You simply MUST have a franchise QB to be a perennial contender.  I'd take two if I could.  Injuries, you know.

How'd Calvin Johnson and Suh work out for the lions?

Eric berry for the chiefs?

Von Miller, Marcel dereus, aj green, patrick pederson, matt kalil, Ezekiel Elliott?

That's just to name the recent ones. 

On 2/22/2018 at 10:08 PM, deedub75 said:

Water always finds its level. Bad teams find ways to lose games. We could have easily gone 2-14 or 1-15. 

I didn’t say the division was beyond reach. I said that we are not one player and Andrew Luck away from winning it. We have a rookie HC, OC, and DC. Maybe they will be great or maybe they won’t. We have a lot of holes to fill too.  

We shall see 

6 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Honestly our roster is just terrible courtesy of Grigson and friends. Ask yourself, how many of our players would start on the Eagles? I can think of TY, and Castonzo. That’s it. Nobody on defense would start. Possibly Malik Hooker and Rashaan Melvin if healthy, but that’s it. 

Are you talking upgrades from what they currently have on their roster? A Luck and Vinateiri, but thats it. Doyle and Desir, but that is also it. Possibly Mingo and Simon, but that would be it fo sho. :thmup:

Having been through labrum

surgery on my throwing shoulder, I can’t pretend to feel totally confident in what we have seen in the post recovery process. My rehab was less than 6 months & I was in my early 50s (played in a senior baseball league). Im

concerned the surgery may not have gone as smooth as expected.Later, after Luck experienced discomfort, the group thinking may have been to try the natural healing process, instead of   additional surgery. Just a hunch but Luck may not be ready for the opening game. 

7 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Honestly our roster is just terrible courtesy of Grigson and friends. Ask yourself, how many of our players would start on the Eagles? I can think of TY, and Castonzo. That’s it. Nobody on defense would start. Possibly Malik Hooker and Rashaan Melvin if healthy, but that’s it. 

Funny how I never heard a single person raving about how incredibly talented the 2017-2018 Philadelphia Eagles roster was like 5 months ago.

On 2/22/2018 at 6:06 AM, DaveA1102 said:

I would say that I don't think Dion Lewis is a great addition.  He is a good player but will come at a premium with being from New England, and that goes against Ballard's ethos.

I am on the "trade back" bandwagon but I would not want to go back further than 5/6/7 to still be able to get a blue chip player (potentially Chubb or is it too high to take Nelson?).

Josh McDaniels isn't coming here so we don't need Dion Lewis here.  His game is too finesse for my tastes anyway.  Let's get some of those hard nose style runners like they have in Philly in here.

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Josh McDaniels isn't coming here so we don't need Dion Lewis here.  His game is too finesse for my tastes anyway.  Let's get some of those hard nose style runners like they have in Philly in here.

After what McDaniels pulled I don't want anyone from that team. I hope we never deal with them again. They will start a decline in a year or 2, it's coming. I think they will still be Very Good to Great next season but after that look out. Tom keeps aging and Belichick may retire in a couple of years.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After what McDaniels pulled I don't want anyone from that team. I hope we never deal with them again. They will start a decline in a year or 2, it's coming. I think they will still be Very Good to Great next season but after that look out. Tom keeps aging and Belichick may retire in a couple of years.

I hear you.  I'm not against bringing in a Patriots player if it's the right guy and a good fit that would help us.  However, I want no parts of Belichick or any of their coordinators in a head coaching capacity here.  We don't need that cheating stinch over here. 

I do believe that the Pats are on their last legs.  Once Belichick and Brady go that will be it for them.  Josh McDaniels won't be able to evade the fall that is around the corner for that franchise.  He has now essentially locked himself into being the fall guy in that situation. 

6 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Funny how I never heard a single person raving about how incredibly talented the 2017-2018 Philadelphia Eagles roster was like 5 months ago.

Nobody picked them to win the SB and not only did they win the SB, they did it with Nick Foles who was a backup. Nobody picked Atlanta the year before either and they were up 28-3. Shows anything can happen in the NFL. What media people never bring up is, we lost 6 games by 7 points or less. Had we had Andrew we could've been a 9-7 team and made the Playoffs instead of Tennessee.

7 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I hear you.  I'm not against bringing in a Patriots player if it's the right guy and a good fit that would help us.  However, I want no parts of Belichick or any of their coordinators in a head coaching capacity here.  We don't need that cheating stinch over here. 

I do believe that the Pats are on their last legs.  Once Belichick and Brady go that will be it for them.  Josh McDaniels won't be able to evade the inevitable fall that is around the corner for that franchise.  He now essentially locked himself into being the fall guy in that situation. 

I will say this I wouldn't mind Malcom Butler, Pats did him dirty and he would help our Secondary. Other than that nothing else. Butler is a Free Agent.

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will say this I wouldn't mind Malcom Butler, Pats did him dirty and he would help our Secondary. Other than that nothing else. Butler is a Free Agent.

Yes I agree that he would be a nice addition.  Plus he now has an axe to grind with NE.  I’d welcome him here in a heart beat. 

7 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Are you talking upgrades from what they currently have on their roster? A Luck and Vinateiri, but thats it. Doyle and Desir, but that is also it. Possibly Mingo and Simon, but that would be it fo sho. :thmup:

The way Wentz played this year, Luck wouldn’t start over him. Elliot would probably still start over vinatieri. Doyle definitely wouldn’t start over Zach ertz. Desir can’t even start for us lol same with Mingo. Simon, possibly if healthy. Out of 22 positions they have the advantage with 18-20 of the positions. My point is, compared to the contenders in the league, our roster is crap and needs almost a complete overhaul. 

7 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

The way Wentz played this year, Luck wouldn’t start over him. Elliot would probably still start over vinatieri. Doyle definitely wouldn’t start over Zach ertz. Desir can’t even start for us lol same with Mingo. Simon, possibly if healthy. Out of 22 positions they have the advantage with 18-20 of the positions. My point is, compared to the contenders in the league, our roster is crap and needs almost a complete overhaul. 

Yea man I got ya, it's just that our schemes, playcalling, etc. did our guys zero favors. We have some nice players to build with, of course we have positions that need serious help. I just dont think we are as far off from being competetive/good as you are eluding to. Now, how do we get to great? That is what we're working on...it aint happening in one season. 

On 2/22/2018 at 11:30 AM, Str8himalaya said:

What does it matter what WE think about it? I'm not a doctor nor am I part of any rehab team associated with Andrew Luck. I've had multiple serious surgeries before, two of the same, and each of them took different amounts of time to come back from. Your argument is weak, and I would DEFINITELY not base anything about Andrew Luck on any fan forum, ESPECIALLY outside of the colts lol.

Exactly, it's very weak unless he's a doctor and has examined his shoulder through an MRI. If he hasn't then his argument don't hold water.  

6 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Yea man I got ya, it's just that our schemes, playcalling, etc. did our guys zero favors. We have some nice players to build with, of course we have positions that need serious help. I just dont think we are as far off from being competetive/good as you are eluding to. Now, how do we get to great? That is what we're working on...it aint happening in one season. 

The injuries will play a big part. 

On 2/23/2018 at 5:08 PM, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

ok this is a really apples to oranges comparison that means absolutely nothing.  NBA teams will have 2 guards and 2 forwards on the court at the same time....no NFL team ever plays with 2 QBs on the field at the same time.  So what the Cavs would or would not do has absolutely zero bearing on this discussion.

As for your insistence that the Colts would be fools to NOT draft a QB at #3 even if Luck returns to 100%....any chance you can provide an example of even ONE NFL team that has ever taken a QB in the top 5 of the first round of the draft when they already had an entrenched Franchise QB?  

On 2/22/2018 at 9:46 AM, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

I suspect that you're very wrong, but the only way to know if Luck is "done" or not is to see him chuck a football 50+ yards downfield, and do it repeatedly without any pain. If he can do that before draft day, the Colts are good to go with other options at the 3-spot. If not, they will need to keep that spot and play the QB lottery game. Once you're past the Rosen-Darnold-Allen trifecta, the rest are questionable. Jackson and Mayfield may even turn out to be Day 2 picks, and it really drops off from there.  And 2019 doesn't look like there's a "franchise" talent to be had anywhere in that lot.

4 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

I suspect that you're very wrong, but the only way to know if Luck is "done" or not is to see him chuck a football 50+ yards downfield, and do it repeatedly without any pain. If he can do that before draft day, the Colts are good to go with other options at the 3-spot. If not, they will need to keep that spot and play the QB lottery game. Once you're past the Rosen-Darnold-Allen trifecta, the rest are questionable. Jackson and Mayfield may even turn out to be Day 2 picks, and it really drops off from there.  And 2019 doesn't look like there's a "franchise" talent to be had anywhere in that lot.

I dont like any of them really, to lead our franchise for years. And agree that next season not looking too promising either. If we need to get a qb I'm sticking with my M. Rudolph or L. Faulk picks in later rounds. Both can chuck the ball. I could eat some crow on a couple of those other guys but standing pat with my picks.

On 2/23/2018 at 4:53 PM, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

Didn't surprise me at all ! Takes about a year, until you had any shoulder surgeries I really don't care what you think you have 0 credibility or knowledge! Thanks for your uneducated input!

15 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I dont like any of them really, to lead our franchise for years. And agree that next season not looking too promising either. If we need to get a qb I'm sticking with my M. Rudolph or L. Faulk picks in later rounds. Both can chuck the ball. I could eat some crow on a couple of those other guys but standing pat with my picks.

I agree.   None of these qb's impress me much.   Darnold looked like crap against an NFL type of defence in Ohio State.  

Rosen has had multiple concussions and shoulder surgery already. 

I would trade back and take Nelson.  

On 2018. 02. 23. at 4:10 AM, deedub75 said:

I think Lewis is more valuable to the Patriots then he would be for any other team. 

I think he is a very-very good player, but very injury prone. The Patriots got away with that because they had White, Gillislie, Burkhead and Bolden who they could use while Lewis was hurt. The Colts need a less injury prone guy.

In addition to that, I would like someone who is more similar to Gore. Gore could get his yards behind this oline, and we will need those yards because Reich won't be able to fix/change everything with a snap of a finger. I like Carlos Hide for example. He can get his yards between the tackles without an elite oline.

On 2/26/2018 at 3:31 PM, HarryTheCat said:

Cleveland Plain Dealer fan question:

Bud: I read a mock draft today from a reputable media outlet that has the Browns trading picks #1, 4, 33 & 35 for Andrew Luck. Does this writer realize Sashi Brown is no longer at the helm? -- Mike Parris, Bay Village.

Does that deal come with a sling or would the Browns have to buy their own?

... This is how outsiders view Luck.

All the comments here from amateur physicians claiming Luck’s on schedule need to explain to the rest of us where they were last year at this time.

At least one professional draft analyst sees trading Luck as a possibility.  I see it as: look at how highly valued good QBs are!  Not drafting a QB at #3 would be a near criminal act on Ballard’s part.

On 2/22/2018 at 12:24 PM, Narcosys said:

But do we want to shore up dedicated blockers, or take a great RB who we may have to waste on blocking?

This goes to dropping down and getting Nelson.

Plus a good OL can make average RBs look good.

Yes by all means, lets use the resources of a #3 pick and come out of it with a Guard! haha

hahahahahaha