Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck throwing HEAVIER balls than footballs

csmopar

When I think of weighted balls, I am thinking the weighted baseballs I use with my son. They helped build up his arm strength and also helped him hit with power. I attribute using these weighted balls as an important reason he made the all star team and continues to make it every year. 

If I am right, and Luck is using these weighted baseballs then you do not want to throw these with everything you have. They are intended to lightly toss around. My son and I only tossed these back and forth about 5-10 yards or so. And we make sure to have an easy throwing motion while doing so. This much weight can seriously hurt your arm if you try to sling it. 

These are what we use.

total_control_82_six_pak_1.jpg

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

When I think of weighted balls, I am thinking the weighted baseballs I use with my son. They helped build up his arm strength and also helped him hit with power. I attribute using these weighted balls as an important reason he made the all star team and continues to make it every year. 

If I am right, and Luck is using these weighted baseballs then you do not want to throw these with everything you have. They are intended to lightly toss around. My son and I only tossed these back and forth about 5-10 yards or so. And we make sure to have an easy throwing motion while doing so. This much weight can seriously hurt your arm if you try to sling it. 

These are what we use.

Nah, i'm more picturing him using a shotput & throwing it in the style that a major league starting pitcher would throw a baseball at full game speed.

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

These are what we use.

TCB balls are good but they are mainly used for hitting, they won't damage the bat and they won't go sailing on you, they will go about a normal 1/2 acre back yard's worth of distance for a middle to high school player.  but they deform and absorb impact.  weighted throwing balls are like the following going from like 7 oz. to 12 oz.  I'm thinking they are using much more sophisticated weighted balls that cost more than my iphone.

https://www.baseballsavings.com/champro-team-training-weighted-baseball-set-p45237?SITE_ID=B0019&CID=PLA&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzrTUBRCnARIsAL0mqcx8Sosm5WmrDvnabU9VxNECnKfECd_135k10xbeMqlqxmKxBwfWa-0aAkzAEALw_wcB

OR How 'bout these:

http://football.epicsports.com/prod/106167/champro-weighted-training-football-2-lbs.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzrTUBRCnARIsAL0mqczIP5hfMvOIA-pg0rK2xTup8nlAXWcIvayIqJLxvRiWTYztuZ93zgwaAp8jEALw_wcB

3 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

TCB balls are good but they are mainly used for hitting, they won't damage the bat and they won't go sailing on you, they will go about a normal 1/2 acre back yard's worth of distance for a middle to high school player.  but they deform and absorb impact.  weighted throwing balls are like the following going from like 7 oz. to 12 oz.  I'm thinking they are using much more sophisticated weighted balls that cost more than my iphone.

https://www.baseballsavings.com/champro-team-training-weighted-baseball-set-p45237?SITE_ID=B0019&CID=PLA&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzrTUBRCnARIsAL0mqcx8Sosm5WmrDvnabU9VxNECnKfECd_135k10xbeMqlqxmKxBwfWa-0aAkzAEALw_wcB

TCB balls are not just for hitting. A lot of people use them for throwing.

They probably are using more sophisticated balls. It is along the same line of thinking though. TCB balls are not cheap. 

6 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

TCB balls are not just for hitting. A lot of people use them for throwing.

They probably are using more sophisticated balls. It is along the same line of thinking though. TCB balls are not cheap. 

Didn't realize, they kind of feel like molasses inside but its like a combo of sand and goo or something.  No, TCB's are certainly not cheap, i have a bucket of them.

Just now, chrisfarley said:

Didn't realize, they kind of feel like molasses inside but its like a combo of sand and goo or something.  No, TCB's are certainly not cheap, i have a bucket of them.

Yep. We bought them for hitting at first and then noticed other people using them for throwing. They definitely helped my son improve his arm strength. I bought a half dozen of the baseball version for my son and another half dozen of the softball version for my daughter. I have yet to see one tear up, other than the paint rubbing off of them. 

30 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

I used a weighted ball for physical therapy today while balancing on a foam beam, throwing the ball at a bounce back trampoline thing.  It was to help strengthen my knee after surgery.

I was doing that on a BOSU ball. it sucks especially when you have instability issues. What surgery did u have ( you can pm me if you prefer) I'm sure ill be back on one again here soon. Had my evaluation for my 3rd  batch of PT today all for the same leg.

12 hours ago, strt182 said:

I was doing that on a BOSU ball. it sucks especially when you have instability issues. What surgery did u have ( you can pm me if you prefer) I'm sure ill be back on one again here soon. Had my evaluation for my 3rd  batch of PT today all for the same leg.

anthroscopy, meniscus tear, osteochondral defect (cartilage removed and shin bone drilled to create new cartilage), patellar subluxtation (kneecap dislocation) and mcl sprain, all from playing softball for 8 years.  I finished my physical therapy, and I should be back to running and jumping in about 6 weeks.  Just in time for the next softball season.

1 hour ago, Virtuoso80 said:

anthroscopy, meniscus tear, osteochondral defect (cartilage removed and shin bone drilled to create new cartilage), patellar subluxtation (kneecap dislocation) and mcl sprain, all from playing softball for 8 years.  I finished my physical therapy, and I should be back to running and jumping in about 6 weeks.  Just in time for the next softball season.

Glad you’re back on the track.

Of course you do not have to reply, but I would be very interested in how the cartilage generated from your microfracture procedure performs; especially once you ar back in sport.

Best to you.

17 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Glad you’re back on the track.

Of course you do not have to reply, but I would be very interested in how the cartilage generated from your microfracture procedure performs; especially once you ar back in sport.

Best to you.

So far it feels better than prior to surgery.  I just need to build my muscle strength back up which is the main issue right now (stability).   The doctor said it will take about 4-6 more weeks before it's fully healed while doing home exercises program.  I will know for sure how it feels late in April which is when softball starts back up in my area.