Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If I'm Chris Ballard Then I'm Taking Nelson RD. 1

Dark Superman

A lot of people on here would go into a rage if the Colts passed up Bradley Chubb and decided to draft Quenton Nelson at 3. Sure, having a consistent pass rusher is the sexy pick and there's no question that our defense could use a force on the defensive side of the ball. 

Either way, you look at it the Colts will come away with a player that has the potential to make an impact day one.

But, this is why I want Nelson on this team.

Look what a healthy Andrew Luck did for this franchise his first three years in the league playing behind a terrible line, no defense, no running game and one consistent wide receiver in TY Hilton. 

I don't care how good our defense improves heading into next season because this is a 4-12 team without Andrew Luck.

Bradley Chubb isn't going to win you the AFC South and a playoff berth. But Andrew Luck can, he's already shown he can win while being surrounded by a bunch of guys who would be backups on 90% of NFL rosters. Luck is special. If anything, the guy is underrated and the Colts need to get this guy some talent around him. He's giving this franchise everything since coming to Indianapolis (Even re-signed here after his rookie deal expired when he could have clearly jumped ship.)

I believe Quenton Nelson is special and is the safest pick in the Draft. People need to realize we now play in a division where we have to face those nasty Jaguars and the Texans who will have JJ Watt and Clowney next season. Drafting Quenton Nelson would be huge in creating much-needed pass protection in those pivotal division games.

Luck is coming off some serious shoulder surgery, so protecting him is our biggest task. (Especially when he is head and shoulders our best player and highest paid player)

Protect the franchise. I don't think anyone on here wants to sit through another season with Andrew Luck sitting on the bench.

Normally I would never want to pick a guard or running back that early, but I would take Barkley over Chubb now knowing the severity of Luck's injury. Saquon Barkley helps take pressure off Andrew Luck and gives him a game-changing weapon he deserves.

I'm sick and tired of watching Andrew get murdered in the pocket. Every year it's the same story. No pass protection, unable to run the ball, watching our Quarterback get murdered every week.

So, I'm all in on giving him all the resources I can to protect him and help elevate his game to the next level. Don't get me wrong, free agency will play a factor in which direction we decide to take in the draft.

Sorry for the rant. I will stick with whoever Ballard and Co. decide to choose in the Draft, but if he decides to give Luck some help with our first pick, I surely will be one happy camper!

1 hour ago, King! said:

A lot of people on here would go into a rage if the Colts passed up Bradley Chubb and decided to draft Quenton Nelson at 3. Sure, having a consistent pass rusher is the sexy pick and there's no question that our defense could use a force on the defensive side of the ball. 

Either way, you look at it the Colts will come away with a player that has the potential to make an impact day one.

But, this is why I want Nelson on this team.

Look what a healthy Andrew Luck did for this franchise his first three years in the league playing behind a terrible line, no defense, no running game and one consistent wide receiver in TY Hilton. 

I don't care how good our defense improves heading into next season because this is a 4-12 team without Andrew Luck.

Bradley Chubb isn't going to win you the AFC South and a playoff berth. But Andrew Luck can, he's already shown he can win while being surrounded by a bunch of guys who would be backups on 90% of NFL rosters. Luck is special. If anything, the guy is underrated and the Colts need to get this guy some talent around him. He's giving this franchise everything since coming to Indianapolis (Even re-signed here after his rookie deal expired when he could have clearly jumped ship.)

I believe Quenton Nelson is special and is the safest pick in the Draft. People need to realize we now play in a division where we have to face those nasty Jaguars and the Texans who will have JJ Watt and Clowney next season. Drafting Quenton Nelson would be huge in creating much-needed pass protection in those pivotal division games.

Luck is coming off some serious shoulder surgery, so protecting him is our biggest task. (Especially when he is head and shoulders our best player and highest paid player)

Protect the franchise. I don't think anyone on here wants to sit through another season with Andrew Luck sitting on the bench.

Normally I would never want to pick a guard or running back that early, but I would take Barkley over Chubb now knowing the severity of Luck's injury. Saquon Barkley helps take pressure off Andrew Luck and gives him a game-changing weapon he deserves.

I'm sick and tired of watching Andrew get murdered in the pocket. Every year it's the same story. No pass protection, unable to run the ball, watching our Quarterback get murdered every week.

So, I'm all in on giving him all the resources I can to protect him and help elevate his game to the next level. Don't get me wrong, free agency will play a factor in which direction we decide to take in the draft.

Sorry for the rant. I will stick with whoever Ballard and Co. decide to choose in the Draft, but if he decides to give Luck some help with our first pick, I surely will be one happy camper!

I get why you would want him but if we add FA Oline then we can draft Chubb. We need a pass rusher!!! 

Although i wont be mad if we take either. Just NO to Barkley ..... RB talent is found later 

Finally fixing the OL has what is projected to be a key building block right there for the taking.  An OG that I am hearing being compared to HOFer John Hannah.  Give me an impactful OL like Hannah and I’d happily use a number one over all for him.

Of course, if we can trade down and still get him, I’d prefer that, but please, take that key piece.

And you know what, go out and get Norwell in free agency too, if he’s not tagged (which I read he might be).

But seriously, please, finally actually fix the OL!  Then with your franchise protected, turn attention to the defense.

I dont think most people understand the kind of impact an OL of this caliber can have on an offense. I also dont think people understand just how good this kid is, I personally think he could play any spot on the OL and be a very good player, even LT if he slimmed down. He is a Larry Allen level talent. Incredibly athletic and has great feet. Could be a future HOF, as a Guard, which isnt easy to do.

47 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Finally fixing the OL has what is projected to be a key building block right there for the taking.  An OG that I am hearing being compared to HOFer John Hannah.  Give me an impactful OL like Hannah and I’d happily use a number one over all for him.

Of course, if we can trade down and still get him, I’d prefer that, but please, take that key piece.

And you know what, go out and get Norwell in free agency too, if he’s not tagged (which I read he might be).

But seriously, please, finally actually fix the OL!  Then with your franchise protected, turn attention to the defense.

I'm with you every step of the way Rocko!

So many options but one wrong move the whole draft comes tumbling down.  I hope they take the safer scenario whatever that may be.  Nelson is not 3 material, Barkley will be gone before 3 & I personally am not sold on Chubb but haven’t studied film because it’s not my JOB so leaning on some of your inputs.  IDEAL, trade down, draft Nelson 6-10 & sign Norwell. PROBLEM SOLVED & I don’t need Bruce Arians approval! Andrew makes a 4-12 team into Conf runner ups, everything else theres MasterCard!  We sometimes try to make a team with no holes but not possible so play to your strengths.   You have the best QB in the NFL, protect him & the rest is BRADY type hype!  Mic dropped

3 hours ago, NDcolt said:

So many options but one wrong move the whole draft comes tumbling down.  I hope they take the safer scenario whatever that may be.  Nelson is not 3 material, Barkley will be gone before 3 & I personally am not sold on Chubb but haven’t studied film because it’s not my JOB so leaning on some of your inputs.  IDEAL, trade down, draft Nelson 6-10 & sign Norwell. PROBLEM SOLVED & I don’t need Bruce Arians approval! Andrew makes a 4-12 team into Conf runner ups, everything else theres MasterCard!  We sometimes try to make a team with no holes but not possible so play to your strengths.   You have the best QB in the NFL, protect him & the rest is BRADY type hype!  Mic dropped

There is no way of knowing how any player drafted is going to do. There are bust in every round. There are great players that may come out of any round.

The whole draft is not going to come crumbling down no matter who is picked..

Now pick up your mic and wait two or three years like the rest of us. :sip:

6 hours ago, NDcolt said:

Why is everyone saying Barkley will be gone by 3? I could easily see both Cleveland and New York going QB with the first two picks. Both teams desperately need a franchise QB and it would be a huge mistake for them to pass on a QB (Especially NYG since they only have one first round pick) I think Saquon Barkley is more likely to go 4th to Cleveland over being drafted 1 or 2. Cleveland and New York need to pull the trigger while they say because it's very likely the Colts can trade out of that third pick with a QB needy team. I can see it happening. 

10 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Just start the clip at 2:15 in. All you need to see. Get off my QB

Outstanding highlight reel. This guy has the quickest feet I've seen in a guard in many years. He seems to never take a play off either & continues to push through the whistle. Gets to the second level immediately. I would LOVE to see this guy with a shoe on his helmet. 

That might be the best highlight video of an interior lineman that I've ever seen. The left tackle next to him is no slouch either.

That play at 2:15.......:heart::heart::heart:

A lot happens before the April 26th draft.  Other things have to play out first.

2018 NFL Important Dates

• Franchise/Transition tag period opens: February 20
  • NFL Scouting Combine: February 27 - March 5
  • Franchise/Transition tag period ends: March 6
  • Legal Tampering period: March 12-14
  • Free agency and trading begins: March 14, 4pm ET
  • Annual league meeting: March 25-28
  • Teams with new head coaches may start offseason training programs: April 2
  • Teams with returning head coaches may start offseason training programs: April 16
  • Deadline for RFAs to sign offer sheets: April 20
  • NFL Draft: April 26-28

if you keep the 3 pick, it has to be a franchise player or someone who becomes one.  you draft a guard at #3 if he is a specimen with the likes of which the league hasn't seen in 4 to 5 years (even then you might pass that up).  Or trade down to get more picks, size up the top 10 teams' selections, then snag Nelson at 11ish, which is your possible new draft position.  But first, let's see how the above milestone dates play out. You make good points in your post for sure. But everything could change.

I agree, id take Nelson in the first also. and Id say only if we traded down to like 6th or 7th but unfortunately 3 would have to be the way to go to draft him, especially if Cousins signs with Denver. Because if the broncos get cousins, they will go Nelson at #5