Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

There is a bunch of buzz surrounding the Chiefs, in trading Marcus Peters this offseason.  What do you all think about going after him.  Ballard obviously has ties to him, and it would most likely cost a 3rd. Say we give up and 3rd for him.  This allows us to save money from not signing Melvin, and then we could target bigger needs.  This also allows us to get an elite talent, by giving up a 3rd.  We trade back in the 1st and regain another 3rd possibly a 2nd in the process if possible.  I think it’s a pretty good strategy.

On Monday, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reported the defensive back "may not be long for K.C."

The update came after Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk noted Sunday there was chatter around the league about the possibility the Chiefs would move Peters following the signing of fellow corner David Amerson and the upcoming acquisition of Kendall Fuller in the Alex Smith trade.

3 minutes ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

On Monday, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reported the defensive back "may not be long for K.C."

The update came after Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk noted Sunday there was chatter around the league about the possibility the Chiefs would move Peters following the signing of fellow corner David Amerson and the upcoming acquisition of Kendall Fuller in the Alex Smith trade.

Even with the addition of Fuller, I'm surprised the Chiefs would do this. Fuller is an elite slot corner, and pairing him with Peters would be deadly. If Peters is indeed for trade, you have to make an offer. I would easily offer a 2nd just to obtain him if this was the case. Peters is young and elite.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

why are they eager to get rid of him?

I imagine it's because he's due for a payday after this year, and the Chiefs have very little free CAP space.  They might want to get some form of compensation for him before he leaves in free agency next year.  That might have influenced the Amerson and Fuller deals.

If Ballard has confidence in him and wants to give up a 4th for him, I'll all on board. I would like to see us have a talented CB core of Melvin, Peters, and Wilson as the top 3 corners, with Hairston manning the slot. 

I would prefer to keep the top 3 rounds of draft picks, since I feel Ballard can find us some young talented players at needed positions. (OL, LB, pass rush, RB)

6 minutes ago, That Guy said:

I imagine it's because he's due for a payday after this year, and the Chiefs have very little free CAP space.  They might want to get some form of compensation for him before he leaves in free agency next year.  That might have influenced the Amerson and Fuller deals.

oh that makes sense

its the old trade the expiring contract deal that happens in the nba a lot.  

we have plenty of cap space, but i might pause because our third round pick is pretty high, that could turn into a good player on a cheap contract.  ballard will know what to do here, its worth a look 

26 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Even with the addition of Fuller, I'm surprised the Chiefs would do this. Fuller is an elite slot corner, and pairing him with Peters would be deadly. If Peters is indeed for trade, you have to make an offer. I would easily offer a 2nd just to obtain him if this was the case. Peters is young and elite.

Lol yea, i’m not complaining about it.  By all means, we should got after if he’s available.  Him and Wilson could be our poor man’s Ramsey and Bouye

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

This us far more than just trade a guy because he's about to become expensive....

Come on now....

Take a look at the post from DaColts85...

The kid's baggage went public this year. And this is just the stuff that's public.   Imagine what isn't public?!

I am surprised so many forgot about this so quick.

1 minute ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

Lol yea, i’m not complaining about it.  By all means, we should got after if he’s available.  Him and Wilson could be our poor man’s Ramsey and Bouye

It would be contingent on us re-signing Peters to a long term deal, but I would have no problem with this. Ballard went to the guy's house and visited him and his family before the draft that year, so if we do sign him, it'll be because Ballard knows something about him that the other GMs don't. He's a Ballard guy 100%, unless something changed recently. The talent is definitely up there.

I could see us doing this trade for a 2nd. like we did for Vontae or hopefully a third.  He might be able to squeeze Dee Ford away as well.  If we did it before the draft I think the likelihood of a trade back with our 3rd. increases significantly. I think Ballard really wants to acquire more picks. 

With that particular instance, it just seemed like frustration boiling over.  The Chiefs were losing and had been for several games if memory serves, and a flag had just been thrown that gave the Jets another chance and extending the lead.  Don't get me wrong, what he did was unacceptable and was fined by the league and suspending by the team but that incident would not keep me from acquiring him at all.  If he was suspended for missing meetings due to drinking or staying out all night then that might be a different story.  I see that instance as a player who was frustrated and reacted.  I would definitely give up a 3rd for him and maybe even a second.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

This us far more than just trade a guy because he's about to become expensive....

Come on now....

The kid's baggage went public this year. And this is just the stuff that's public.   Imagine what isn't public?!

And that type of stuff is exactly what got him kicked off the team in Washington. How quickly people forget these are the same issues he had in college. If a college and NFL team don’t want him, then I’d pass. I’d give maybe a 4th for him though if it came down to that

1 minute ago, tweezy32 said:

anyone thinking you can get a 4th or a third round pick is crazy.. Goodluck with that. Hes one  octavof the best corners in the leauge and is young

Marcell Dareus was traded for a 6th rounder.  Value is all in who wants to give what for someone who might be a cancer in the locker room. 

He will go to NE and become a model player and play opposite Gillmore.....isn't how all these reports end up? We have a young nucleus in the secondary...not a lot of leaders on this team. I'm ok with talented players with baggage if you have the right leadership in the locker room to straighten them out....not sure we have that on this team.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He will go to NE and become a model player and play opposite Gillmore.....isn't how all these reports end up? We have a young nucleus in the secondary...not a lot of leaders on this team. I'm ok with talented players with baggage if you have the right leadership in the locker room to straighten them out....not sure we have that on this team.

This is why you want great character coaches.  That is what we just got, so you hope players would listen.  Peters just happens to be a guy that has went against all of this.  Goes against coaching and some other players in the locker room.  He is good and if Ballard thinks he can keep him level headed then ok.  I just do not see Ballard making this move.

Definitely could see NE jumping in.  They did have Talib for a year.  They could see Peters as a short fix and let him leave in FA and get that comp pick like usual.

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

This is why you want great character coaches.  That is what we just got, so you hope players would listen.  Peters just happens to be a guy that has went against all of this.  Goes against coaching and some other players in the locker room.  He is good and if Ballard thinks he can keep him level headed then ok.  I just do not see Ballard making this move.

Definitely could see NE jumping in.  They did have Talib for a year.  They could see Peters as a short fix and let him leave in FA and get that comp pick like usual.

I also don't see him leaving KC. They would get more in a conditional draft pick if he balls out like he has then from the trade of him at this point......and why does getting Ammerson who can't even hack it in Oakland mean ANYTHING about keeping Peters. He is basically their only bright spot in that secondary minus Berry returning. They are trying to shore up the defense...not kill it. Peters stays imo.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I also don't see him leaving KC. They would get more in a conditional draft pick if he balls out like he has then from the trade of him at this point......and why does getting Ammerson who can't even hack it in Oakland mean ANYTHING about keeping Peters. He is basically their only bright spot in that secondary minus Berry returning. They are trying to shore up the defense...not kill it. Peters stays imo.

I agree completely.  This is stuff that happens every year.  Teams see what value a player is worth and go from there.  Let the player know they can be traded with an attitude at any time.  If some team offered something crazy then win-win.  The Chiefs will have him until he is a FA though.  Yes, Ammerson is not a threat as of right now...lol!

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Marcell Dareus was traded for a 6th rounder.  Value is all in who wants to give what for someone who might be a cancer in the locker room. 

And Cooks went for 1st+. He had clashes with the coaching staff too.

Sheldon Richardson had off-field issues, on-field issues and was locker room problem yet still returned a 2nd and Jermaine Kearse. He was also on the last year of his contract, 5th year option.

Dareus had/has massive contract and on-field performance issues and wasn't playing anywhere near his contract value. Peters, despite making lot of business decisions, is the opposite.

Peters was my favorite player in the 2015 NFL Draft. Wanted him above anyone else...but KC wisely scooped him up before he slid  to the end of the 1st round. 

IF KC is entertaining trading him, I would assume Ballard is on the phones right now. Marcus Peters is like the second bullet under "Professional Experience" on Ballard's resume. And the Colts would get him for at least two years with a lot of cap space to ink him long term.

I also assume Peters is exactly the type of gambling big-play CB that Ballard (and Eberflus) want on their defense.

Not sure about Ballard, but I would happily give up that 3rd round pick for him...with the knowledge that I could trade down and easily recoup it.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is far more than just trade a guy because he's about to become expensive....

Come on now....

This and some more of this.  There are the things that we know about as fans and then there are the things that only the teams know about.  Peters has been a perpetual * since his college days and that appears to not have changed.  Why would a team be shopping a truly talented guy on his rookie contract at a  highly valued position in the league?  Plus the Colts are trying to build a culture.  

I would not touch him with a ten foot pole.  

We have the cap to extend him this season. We have the ability to trade down and have the pick capital to trade for him. 

If we’re going to be playing a lot of man-to-man then I’d pull the trigger for a 2nd. With a trade back we could easily recoup the pick we lost. 

Some people dont put much stock in PFF but they had him graded as the #18 CB last year with a grade of 85.7. Rashaan Melvin was the #17 CB last year. But Peters has only just turned 25.

He has some character stuff but similar to Quincy Wilson, coming into a different locker room with a different culture could do wonders.

16 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Why would a team be shopping a truly talented guy on his rookie contract at a  highly valued position in the league? 

Bingo! 

If Andy Reid is fine parting ways with Peters that would make me very gun shy. Reid isn't gonna sign off on this move unless he thinks Peters is a disciple nightmare & just not worth the headache anymore. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Normally, I like to give a guy the benefit of the doubt because things can get heated during a game, but once a game is over--the competitive juices must fall back in line. You really shouldn't get into a spat after a KC loss to the Jets with an assistant coach. Not a good look at all. 

I tend to agree with NCF here. Players gotta respect authority & the chain of command regardless of the outcome on the field. I firmly believe that.

Hating to lose is fine, but you never go after the staff ever. 

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You know the respect the hades out of you JC. Yes, Peters is elite as a talent. Would you trust if you were our GM? 

Can he keep a cool head when things don't go his way? It's not like those are opposed to going after Peters are out to sabotage the guy. We just question his maturity. 

It's more than just athleticism; It's what Peters does when the wheels fall off. A composure concern more than anything else. 

If we did get him & he proved me wrong, I'd be among the first to say I was wrong & give him props. Like you, I'll gladly eat crow when I bleep up or grossly miscalculate on somebody. It just bothers me that Reid is ready to move on from Peters. Not a good sign. 

I think its valid to have strong concerns about paying somebody with maturity and behavioral issues large dollars and a long term contract. I would definitely do much vetting before pursuing it. People are enamored with his on field play but its other stuff that has them wanting to pack his bags. Talib had some similar type issues years ago and he cleaned most of it up after he was dealt. Most of it, not all of it. Enough to where no one else has wanted to get rid of him for the same thing. Maybe Peters would make the same adjustments. You also have to consider scheme fit. Will Peters be the same guy in the zone scheme we will play versus the man to man scheme he was in?

We don't need the headache or baggage. Peter's is a special talent, but he isn't concerned with being the best teammate he can be. As Reich has already stated about Luck, this isn't about one player, nor will it ever be. This is the Ultimate team sport & if you can't play nice with the people you work with on a daily basis, then don't let the door hit you on the way out.