Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck should be ready for Training Camp - Polian

Colt.45

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Polian has made no secret he still talks to Irsay.  He also talks to Ballard so maybe it really is sources but my point was more he’s really a mouth peace for the Colts in the media.  Nothing wrong with that for the record.

Agreed.......but Polian drafted Reich.  Called him the 'greatest backup QB in NFL history'

Just pointing out that Bill Polian knows Frank Reich very well and has for over 30 years...

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Agreed.......but Polian drafted Reich.  Called him the 'greatest backup QB in NFL history'

Just pointing out that Bill Polian knows Frank Reich very well and has for over 30 years...

Right I am not disagreeing with you.  Just saying my main point is that Polian is a mouth peace from Colts management all the way up to Irsay.  Again not a bad thing.

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I gotta say this: To imply that Jimmy is intentionally keeping his fanbase in the dark on purpose about Luck's recovery just to sell tickets is just crazy. No one is forcing anybody to buy LOS stadium tickets against their will & if a person has season tickets & they truly believe this season won't be pretty then just sell your tickets & stop complaining. 

Yes, Jimmy is running a business & wants to continue to make money. No one is being duped or deceived here. Jimmy wants to win games & put a quality product on the field regardless who is under center. Look, I realize season tickets must be incredibly expensive to secure annually & no consumer wants to feel that their investment is money not well spent. I get that. As a fan who doesn't live in INDY & still watches every Colts game without fail; I'm never gonna believe that less than stellar playoffs seasons don't kill Jimmy on a personal level. I know they do, which is why I refuse to buy into this cloak & dagger deception angle. It's absurd. 

Nobody has any idea where Luck is at right now or where he will be come Sept. If he can't go, then I'll deal with it & make the best of it & support Jacoby Brissett. Right now, my mindset is Chewbacca will be ready to go. None of us are abandoning this franchise whatever Andrew's future holds. 

-I agree, if Jim Irsay came out tomorrow and said Luck wasn't going to play this season, I still think we would sell out every game. We have for the last 2 decades. I don't think Luck playing has anything to do with selling out games. We sold out every game last season after it was announced he was out. Yes with Luck, our product is better obviously but we will be a better team this season after another Draft and Free Agency which is an attraction by itself. Also Brissett doesn't stink, he has the potential to be decent in a Frank Reich type of Offense assuming he brings some of the Philly stuff here. Which he will more than likely.

-Everything I have been hearing about Luck is very encouraging anyway so I seriously doubt there is any conspiracy that Jim Irsay knows Luck is damaged goods and he's hiding it. That is actually so far fetched that it is funny. I think last season Irsay believed Luck would be back at sometime just going by what the doctors were saying. It is what it is, if people don't like Jim Irsay than they will believe he is shady and a liar. If they like Irsay than they will believe he is just going by what the doctors and Andrew are telling him. Bottomeline is, I would bet we sell out every game regardless.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

-I agree, if Jim Irsay came out tomorrow and said Luck wasn't going to play this season, I still think we would sell out every game. We have for the last 2 decades. I don't think Luck playing has anything to do with selling out games. We sold out every game last season after it was announced he was out. Yes with Luck, our product is better obviously but we will be a better team this season after another Draft and Free Agency which is an attraction by itself. Also Brissett doesn't stink, he has the potential to be decent in a Frank Reich type of Offense assuming he brings some of the Philly stuff here. Which he will more than likely.

-Everything I have been hearing about Luck is very encouraging anyway so I seriously doubt there is any conspiracy that Jim Irsay knows Luck is damaged goods and he's hiding it. That is actually so far fetched that it is funny. I think last season Irsay believed Luck would be back at sometime just going by what the doctors were saying. It is what it is, if people don't like Jim Irsay than they will believe he is shady and a liar. If they like Irsay than they will believe he is just going by what the doctors and Andrew are telling him. Bottomeline is, I would bet we sell out every game regardless.

Right on the money as usual brother. Jacoby isn't a hopeless reclamation project as some fans believe he is. I also agree with you 100% that Irsay has no interest in misleading fans because it would be a foolish business model to carryout in a down yr or 2. The real money is in broadcasting rights/TV deals with networks not ticket sales anyway. 

What purpose does it serve for some fans to yell Jimmy's not telling us the truth? Can they prove he misrepresented the truth regarding Manning or Luck & even if they could, do they possess enough ownership shares of the team to call for drastic changes among the medical staff or major leadership changes down the line? Nope. 

"If people don't like Jim Irsay than they will believe he is shady and a liar.  If they like Irsay than they will believe he is just going by what the doctors and Andrew are telling him." 

You nailed it right there CBE. Nice work. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

You're right. I shouldn't have automatically assumed I was responding to a man as opposed to a woman. Sorry about that. I stand corrected. Thank you. 

Skepticism is fine as well as demanding proof is in the pudding. Show me as opposed to making broken promises. A fair point. Fans would want the owner or GM to say something about Luck's rehab status. Silence makes people go to the worst possible scenario. You can never remain silent about the face of your franchise. That's an absolute death nell. 

Maybe it's because I don't live in INDY that I don't get worked up over whether Luck can play or not. So, the ticket sales angle doesn't really concern me that much. Do I want Andrew out there for 20 weeks? Absolutely. However, Jimmy isn't putting a gun to anyone's head & demanding that fans buy tickets or else. It's a freewill thing; not a coercion thing to me. 

Football is TV entertainment anyway. I prefer all the different camera angles & booth commentary personally without the long lines & traffic. I don't need to be at the stadium in person. I just want the game & that's it. If I want Colt merchandise, I buy it online. The ambiance doesn't concern me at all. It would be sweet to meet some of my favorite regulars face to face in person along with the moderators once though. I will admit that. 

This lying thing is hugely overblown to me because some fans act like it's treasonous or something. Believe what you want. I'm not here to persuade anybody or discount contrary viewpoints from mine. In the grand scheme of things, this is nothing. 

After I lost my nephew Matthew around Thanksgiving to a suicide, it put everything in perspective for me & I don't get so animated over the small stuff anymore. Thank you for your post CF4L. We're perfectly fine.  

For me I still watch and care about the Colts(otherwise why would I post here) players come and go but this fanbase has a reputation of being fairweathered its laughable to think otherwise if you live in Indy and see it firsthand.

I mean a ton of fans left the Colts when they parted ways with Manning.

They were probably just Manning fans which is fine.

But there are also just Luck fans too or only care for the Colts because they were good and are disinterested now. Some base it on whether Luck plays to buy tickets. 

6 minutes ago, CF4L said:

For me I still watch and care about the Colts(otherwise why would I post here) players come and go but this fanbase has a reputation of being fairweathered its laughable to think otherwise if you live in Indy and see it firsthand.

But there are also just Luck fans too or only care for the Colts because they were good and are disinterested now. Some base it on whether Luck plays to buy tickets. 

Sad to say that is true...Many fairwaither fans and unknowledgable fans here...Many great ones on this forum though, but of you see responses on Twitter and Facebook etc., it's really pretty apparent..Couple more losing seasons that stadium wouldn't be sold out trust me...

5 minutes ago, CF4L said:

A lot of fan bases are like that though. People act like we are the only fairweather fanbase out here. Wait until Brees retires, half their stadium will be empty in NO. I even know a lot of Packers fans that lost interest in last season once Rodgers went out and those fans are diehard as it gets. Fairweather or not most people just want to win and I also think we still sell out every game too. So I doubt Irsay is hiding anything. For someone to accuse Irsay of hiding that Andrew is damaged goods just to help sell more tickets is absurd but that is my opinion. He doesn't need to do that, we will sell out anyway. New Coach that everyone loves, another Draft, we still have attraction without Andrew.

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Sad to say that is true...Many fairwaither fans and unknowledgable fans here...Many great ones on this forum though, but of you see responses on Twitter and Facebook etc., it's really pretty apparent..Couple more losing seasons that stadium wouldn't be sold out trust me...

Exactly I mean if they're millenial Colts fans not surprising they grew up with Manning as the QB. They didn't see how this team used to be. Couldn't sell out games, doormat of the AFC East etc.

Now they see how the other half lives.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A lot of fan bases are like that though. People act like we are the only fairweather fanbase out here. Wait until Brees retires, half their stadium will be empty in NO. I even know a lot of Packers fans that lost interest in last season once Rodgers went out and those fans are diehard as it gets. Fairweather or not most people just want to win and I also think we still sell out every game too. So I doubt Irsay is hiding anything. For someone to accuse Irsay of hiding that Andrew is damaged goods just to help sell more tickets is absurd but that is my opinion. He doesn't need to do that, we will sell out anyway. New Coach that everyone loves, another Draft, we still have attraction without Andrew.

Well yes there are fairweathered fans and bandwagoners everywhere but this is a Colts forum so who else would I be talking about.

I disagree about the Saints those fans are diehard I mean they were there with bags over their heads watching those games. I don't see Colts fans doing that.

Packers fans still showed up to watch those Rodger-less games.

They can sell out if they can sell the fans that Luck is coming back. Will be harder to do that this season when he missed all of last year. They kept dangling Luck will be back until you know he went on IR that's an awful big leap from coming back to going on IR. 

I don't know why its so hard to believe that Irsay or any owner would lie to their fans. They know that most of the fanbase aren't going to buy tickets for a Colts team with Jacoby Brissett as QB. 

Plus they have to compete with a Pacers team that's doing really well for the city's attention. This has always been a basketball state first it managed to be about football when the Pacers were bad and the Colts were good. Now the roles appear to have switched. 

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

Exactly I mean if they're millenial Colts fans not surprising they grew up with Manning as the QB. They didn't see how this team used to be. Couldn't sell out games, doormat of the AFC East etc.

Yep, I've been a hardcore fan since 85'...I see it day to day too, with coworkers and people in general, couple low years and it's Colts suck who cares about the Colts..smh..I lived in Cleveland for 6 years from 2005 -2011 and they are true diehard fans , bars are full every Sunday is a party , and usually stadium is full although this yr it started to decline some from what I hear, 1-31will do that..  Everywhere you look you see people in browns gear..Totally different here..

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Yep, I've been a hardcore fan since 85'...I see it day to day to with coworkers and people in general, couple low years and it's Colts suck who cares about the Colts..smh..I lived in Cleveland for 6 years from 2005 -2011 and they are true diehard fans , bars are full every Sunday is a party , and usually stadium is full although this yr it started to decline some from what I hear, 1-31will do that..  Everywhere you look you see people in browns gear..Totally different here..

I grew up with Bears fans and sure they had 1985 but outside of that run in 2006 its not exactly been pleasant for them either. 

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

I have been a Colts fan since 1984 and could tell you every single thing about Colts history since then. Yes we didn't sell out every game before Manning, since Manning we have but our culture changed as well. It became a Football state in the Manning era. Luck has even been Good to Great in his first 3 years. It's my opinion that we would still sell out every game if Irsay announced tomorrow that Luck was going to retire. We have built such a legacy here over the last 20 years that I know we would. It seems like everytime great news comes out about Luck that some people automatically say it's Irsay behind it to sell tickets which is really a sad way to think. if you really knew how silly that sounded you wouldn't believe it. You hate Irsay and I know this from our past chats so I am not going to change your mind and that is fine. You have your opinion and I have mine. Like I said I bet we sell out every game regardless, people in Indy just love Football. This isn't 1984 or even 1994 anymore.

8 hours ago, CF4L said:

I do live in Indy & yes since Peyton Manning was drafted many jumped on the Bandwagon as the Colts did better & better most  IMO did jump ship & took up the Broncos as there team & many were not fans of Luck because he replaced the old dog I always felt good riddance my allegiance is too the team & the City I work in .

It all started for me in 84 we had many tough seasons & heartbreak in Pittsburgh in 95 just 1 catch away from our first SB I'm sure the bandwagoneers missed that one , I'm an Indianapolis Colts fan while I was a huge 18 fan only as a Colt not as a Bronco  .

Another poster pointed out that maybe the injury news for 12 was unclear not because someone is fudging the truth but maybe to keep other teams guessing as to the Colts 3 pick ?    

Medical issues are beyond Jim Irsay's expertise he can only relate what he was told & sometimes things are just worse than previously thought I can't blame that on the owner . I honestly believe Jim Irsay is the biggest Colts Homer in Indy & sometimes his hopes & wishs may shade the truth a lil as a business man I don't believe for a second he would purposely mislead the fans it would IMO make him like Robert Irsay  someone old Colts fans will all tell you was & is despised .

Jim Irsay is not his father he is no more perfect than any of us , but he is IMO just a die hard fan just like me & he has my respect & support .

12 hours ago, CF4L said:

If a ton of fans 'left" the Colts then why were the games still sold out?

I don't think a ton of fans left. They just started following the Broncos as well.

You obvious bias and hate of Irsay always brings you to bring negativity even when there is none.

12 hours ago, CF4L said:

Well yes there are fairweathered fans and bandwagoners everywhere but this is a Colts forum so who else would I be talking about.

I disagree about the Saints those fans are diehard I mean they were there with bags over their heads watching those games. I don't see Colts fans doing that.

Packers fans still showed up to watch those Rodger-less games.

They can sell out if they can sell the fans that Luck is coming back. Will be harder to do that this season when he missed all of last year. They kept dangling Luck will be back until you know he went on IR that's an awful big leap from coming back to going on IR. 

I don't know why its so hard to believe that Irsay or any owner would lie to their fans. They know that most of the fanbase aren't going to buy tickets for a Colts team with Jacoby Brissett as QB. 

Plus they have to compete with a Pacers team that's doing really well for the city's attention. This has always been a basketball state first it managed to be about football when the Pacers were bad and the Colts were good. Now the roles appear to have switched. 

I have some news for you about those diehard Saint fans. Yes they came with their bags over their faces because tickets were damn near given away. New Orleans didn't have an NBA team and Hockey wasn't even thought of then.

I just happen to have a lifetime friend who lives in Denham Springs La and he was buying good seats to the Saint games for $3-5 per seat in those days.

Maybe if you looked at thing with perspective without being so judgmental you would understand a little more.

As well as the Pacers are doing right now they still don't sell out Bankers Life.

17 hours ago, CF4L said:

First off I'm a she

Second, unlike a lot of this fanbase I can accept a few down years. The team isn't good across the board they have no business being in the postseason. Luck was going to be back for training camp, but he wasn't.

Luck was going to be back a few games in.. that didn't happen either.

Luck then gets sent to IR yeah for someone who was going to be back that season its a huge jump to go from that to IR. 

Could he have had a setback? Sure but Irsay and Co flat out said that he was coming back and never did in 2017. Maybe they would've been better served keeping their mouths shut.

Putting that aside actions speak louder than words they kept parroting how Manning and Luck would come back and they didn't in Manning's case it was in another uniform.

Luck remains to be seen. I don't think his career is over but I think his shoulder was in worse shape than they lead the fans to believe. However they wanted to sell those tickets and know that a lot of people around these parts wouldn't go watch the Colts if there was no Andrew Luck.

Teams lie to fans all the time. I mean if this were the Pats the reactions here would be drastically different with all the shadiness the Colts have presented the past couple years with Luck.

Outside of him throwing an actual football there are a lot of us who remain skeptical.

I like this post because, in most businesses, there is this idea about "setting a reasonable expectation for the customer".  Like many, every day I need to make commitments to/for our customers.  Failure to set a proper expectation with a customer often has negative ramifications and, in some cases, causes a customer to take their business elsewhere.

Understanding that we all have different views & varying "levels of loyalty" to sports teams, it is likely that Mr. Irsay will/has upset some of his customers by not setting a proper expectation for them.

20 hours ago, southwest1 said:

It does make you wonder what teams are going to do when Dr. Andrews retires since he seems to be the most sought after surgeon across the NFL doesn't it? I hope he's grooming his heir apparent as we speak right now.  

If Dr. Andrews feels confident in the recovery strategy, that must be a good omen right? Knock on wood. 

Do not fear, my friend. There is the Kerlan-Jobe Clinic (inventer of Tommy John surgery Frank Jobe) in addition Andrews Sports medicine clinic (and more...) to bring along more elite surgeons for the future. Not that there aren’t plenty out there already.  Just look up the list of baseball teams ortho surgeons for a who’s who list.  There are more pitchers per team and more shoulder injuries per pitcher than NFL QB’s, so those teams do have the best of the best.

But Jobe’s and Andrews clinics are not the only place where elite level orthopedic surgeons are.  I saw an article in an Andrews Sports Clinic article citing a Ben Hogan clinic physician working on the next huge leap in orthopedics... SutureTape from Arthrex

https://www.andrewssportsmedicine.com/news/baseballs-next-miracle-surgery

Dr. Andrews is fantastic, but not the only game in town. NFL players will be ok when Dr. Andrews does decide to hang ‘em up.

19 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I gotta say, I am surprised by how many fans say their purchasing tickets / season tickets is dependent upon Luck’s health, or in the least, inferring such.  Man, if I were within driving distance, I would be a season ticket holder for my beloved team no matter what.  Compared to the commitment for NHL season tickets, the Colts / NFL tickets are dirt cheap!  

Win or lose, I’b be a season ticket holder and I really could not care less who ends up being QB, as it relates to my season ticket commitment.  Ergo, just weird to me all these accusations that the Colts are somehow lying and ticket holders are feeling somehow bamboozled.

If I lived in within an hour I'd probably have season tickets too.   

Used to have them Pre-Manning (paper bag over head games), but Sunday Night, Thursday Night and Monday Night games are tough.  

Plus I hate paying for pre-season.  

I just understand why people wouldn't want tickets if Luck wasn't playing.

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have been a Colts fan since 1984 and could tell you every single thing about Colts history since then. Yes we didn't sell out every game before Manning, since Manning we have but our culture changed as well. It became a Football state in the Manning era. Luck has even been Good to Great in his first 3 years. It's my opinion that we would still sell out every game if Irsay announced tomorrow that Luck was going to retire. We have built such a legacy here over the last 20 years that I know we would. It seems like everytime great news comes out about Luck that some people automatically say it's Irsay behind it to sell tickets which is really a sad way to think. if you really knew how silly that sounded you wouldn't believe it. You hate Irsay and I know this from our past chats so I am not going to change your mind and that is fine. You have your opinion and I have mine. Like I said I bet we sell out every game regardless, people in Indy just love Football. This isn't 1984 or even 1994 anymore.

I'll make sure to bring this up if Luck suddenly has a setback and he can't play just after all those ticket sales are cleared.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I have some news for you about those diehard Saint fans. Yes they came with their bags over their faces because tickets were damn near given away. New Orleans didn't have an NBA team and Hockey wasn't even thought of then.

I just happen to have a lifetime friend who lives in Denham Springs La and he was buying good seats to the Saint games for $3-5 per seat in those days.

Maybe if you looked at thing with perspective without being so judgmental you would understand a little more.

As well as the Pacers are doing right now they still don't sell out Bankers Life.

And yet they lived and died with that team during the bad years when they had no real identity(before Drew of course).

The Colts could barely get an audience until Manning arrived then things changed. If Luck is gone for an even longer period of time or worse not as good as before then yes I do see a large contingent of fans turning away. The diehards will be there but how many are there?

Pretty laughable to talk about not being judgmental when apparently if you have a differing opinion its considered "wrong"

1 minute ago, CF4L said:

I'll make sure to bring this up if Luck suddenly has a setback and he can't play just after all those ticket sales are cleared.

I hope you do if that happens (and you should), then you may be onto something and your point would have some validity. As of now from everything we are hearing, Luck looks like he is progressing.

6 hours ago, Reality Check said:

I like this post because, in most businesses, there is this idea about "setting a reasonable expectation for the customer".  Like many, every day I need to make commitments to/for our customers.  Failure to set a proper expectation with a customer often has negative ramifications and, in some cases, causes a customer to take their business elsewhere.

Understanding that we all have different views & varying "levels of loyalty" to sports teams, it is likely that Mr. Irsay will/has upset some of his customers by not setting a proper expectation for them.

Thank you.

If Irsay was honest yes he would lose a lot of those ticket sales but at the same time I'm sure there would be people who would respect the honesty. 

I think though this season will be different because after last year there aren't going to be nearly as high of expectations.  Many are wondering if Luck will be back more than when he will be. Plus with a new coach there's a new lease on the Colts.

If Pagano were still here yeah there would be an even lower morale for this fanbase.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hope you do if that happens (and you should), then you may be onto something and your point would have some validity. As of now from everything we are hearing, Luck looks like he is progressing.

You mean like last year?

How that did that turn out?

Bet you held onto that at the time..

18 minutes ago, CF4L said:

And yet they lived and died with that team during the bad years when they had no real identity(before Drew of course).

The Colts could barely get an audience until Manning arrived then things changed. If Luck is gone for an even longer period of time or worse not as good as before then yes I do see a large contingent of fans turning away. The diehards will be there but how many are there?

Pretty laughable to talk about not being judgmental when apparently if you have a differing opinion its considered "wrong"

I can tell you one thing. The Saints had a lot more black out games during their lean times than the Colts ever had.

What you say about the Saint fans lived and died with their team was no different than the Colts fans did.

You have been so judgmental of Irsay since your time here I am curious as to why you even like the Colts. You don't like their owner and you continue to outwardly show it so nothing they ever do is going to please you.

I have news for you. Irsay is not going anywhere, get used to it or continue to whine about it.