Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Evaluation

Zoltan

Stampede Blue recently did an article comparing Jacoby Brissett's first season stats to other first season QBs (Linked Below). I think they really undersold him as a QB, not only did he not get an offseason to learn the playbook, he was dealing with a roster and/or coaching staff that we can at least agree one maybe both were subpar.

Personally I think Brissett can be a Kirk Cousins style QB where if you have the right pieces around him he can thrive, He just got the Indy treatment last year having an O-line that can't stay healthy (and even when healthy below average), coupled with no in game adjustments that led to multiple second half losses. I'm kind of curious to see him this preseason and find out how he does with Reich's offense.

This article is total trash. Anybody got a lighter? First off, JB was essentially a rookie QB who had to learn whole new terminology in INDY drastically different from what Josh McDaniels ran in NE--The play calling I mean. Second, what the hades is this article doing mentioning how his passing/completion percentage pales in comparison to RW--A SB champion field general. No crap Sherlock. Then, they say or infer that Cam Newton who played in a SB in 2015 vs the Broncos is better than JB too. What? Wait. Don't you think that's a hugely unfair comparison? How many SBs has Cam gotten back to? If Superman is so great, what's the problem? 

Also, why are they mentioning Blaine Gabbert & Bridewater in closer proximity to JB's success rate? Bridgwater is recovering from surgery & hasn't played in quite awhile as a starter. While Blaine was kind of an afterthought NFL bust until Bruce Arians made him halfway descent again in AZ. 

The article mentions that he ran too much? Well, yeah because other than Doyle & Hilton which WR could actually complete a pass & not drop the darn ball? Moncreif really took a huge step back or regressed. In addition, chemistry takes time & you can't expect perfection when Tolzien sucked & INDY was forced to make essentially a emergency trade. 

Frank Reich will give JB the confidence to play better now & our WRs & TEs will understand what JB likes & vice versa on throws & route running. 

I'm not impressed with this story at all. A pathetic writeup intended to sabotage fans opinions on JB. Not an accurate assessment at all of the situation Jacoby fell into. 

6 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

This article is total trash. Anybody got a lighter? First off, JB was essentially a rookie QB who had to learn whole new terminology in INDY drastically different from what Josh McDaniels ran in NE--The play calling I mean. Second, what the hades is this article doing mentioning how his passing/completion percentage pales in comparison to RW--A SB champion field general. No crap Sherlock. Then, they saw or infer that Cam Newton who played in a SB in 2015 vs the Broncos is better than JB too. What? Wait. Don't you think that's a hugely unfair comparison? How many SBs has Cam gotten back to? If Superman is so great, what's the problem? 

Also, why are they mentioning Blaine Garrett & Bridewater in closer proximity to JB's success rate? Bridgwater is recovering from surgery & hasn't played in quite awhile as a starter. While Blaine was kind of an afterthought NFL bust until Bruce Arians made him halfway descent again in AZ. 

The article mentions that he ran to much? Well, yeah because other than Doyle & Hilton which WR could actually complete a pass & not drop the darn ball? Moncreif really took a huge step back or regressed. In addition, chemistry takes time & you can't expect perfection when Tolzien sucked & INDY was forced to make essentially a emergency trade. 

Frank Reich will give JB the confidence to play better now & our WRs & TEs will understand what JB likes & vice versa on throws & route running. 

I'm not impressed with this story at all. A pathetic writeup intended to sabotage fans opinions on JB. Not an accurate assessment at all of the situation Jacoby fell into. 

I whole heartedly agree

8 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

not a fan of that either.  he didnt get much help from his line, receivers, running game or coaches

hes an ok back up at worst.

It's like this article was written directly from stats..

As far as an OK backup at worst, that has yet to be determined.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's like this article was written directly from stats..

As far as an OK backup at worst, that has yet to be determined.

the article was titled can he turn into a successful backup?  i dont think hes far off from that now. if he can cut down on the turnovers i think hes there 

could still be better than just an ok backup too

9 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Read Brissetts combine report before he was drafted.  Look at the strengths and weaknesses part and tell me if those were the things you saw from him this yr 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jacoby-brissett?id=2555261

Under weaknesses: 

"Will drop eyes when he feels pressure and throws off his back foot as tools of survival."

I laughed at that line because if you get hit enough all game long any quarterback will look at the pass rush instead of who's open downfield. Just ask Brady in 2007 vs the NY Giants. 

Under Strengths: 

"Generally accurate passer who excels in intermediate throws."

Uh huh. Jacoby does excel in the 10-15 yard throws & he's solid on RB screen throws too. 

A nice synopsis of JB's pre draft pros & cons. I just admire that the kid doesn't give up. He's a fighter & we always have room on our roster for that. 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

the article was titled can he turn into a successful backup?  i dont think hes far off from that now. if he can cut down on the turnovers i think hes there 

could still be better than just an ok backup too

I am looking at the angle of Frank Reich working with him. Add in the presumption the roster will get better.

As it stands right now he may end up being the starter if Luck has long term problems or the worst case scenario of never getting back to where he was.

My personal opinion is Luck will be back but Ballard said from day one of the trade that Brissett was drafted for the future.

"The real question will be, whether or not Brissett can be coached out of his bad habits, and if the Colts new staff has the ability to develop him to reach his potential." --From the Blue Stampede article

Lines like what I highlighted in red really annoy me because black quarterbacks always face a heightened level of scrutiny than caucasian quarterbacks typically never do. Okay, maybe I'm reading too much into an innocent statement. But, there is often a hidden inference that black field generals don't process information fast enough. It's total bull you know what.

I just think about Warren Moon & how great he was playing for the CFL & how if he was given a chance to shine sooner in the NFL; He would have won at least 2 SBs in the United States. It still bothers me. 

When Andy Dalton's play dipped after Hue Jackson left CINCY, nobody ever questioned his ability to grow, adapt, & improve. Just saying. 

6 minutes ago, tvturner said:

I don't think he's anywhere near a Kirk Cousins style QB nor will he be

I'm one of the people that think Kirk Cousin's is an average starter who needs an offensive minded coach to succeed, He may prove me wrong this season though.

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

This article is total trash. Anybody got a lighter? First off, JB was essentially a rookie QB who had to learn whole new terminology in INDY drastically different from what Josh McDaniels ran in NE--The play calling I mean. Second, what the hades is this article doing mentioning how his passing/completion percentage pales in comparison to RW--A SB champion field general. No crap Sherlock. Then, they say or infer that Cam Newton who played in a SB in 2015 vs the Broncos is better than JB too. What? Wait. Don't you think that's a hugely unfair comparison? How many SBs has Cam gotten back to? If Superman is so great, what's the problem? 

Also, why are they mentioning Blaine Gabbert & Bridewater in closer proximity to JB's success rate? Bridgwater is recovering from surgery & hasn't played in quite awhile as a starter. While Blaine was kind of an afterthought NFL bust until Bruce Arians made him halfway descent again in AZ. 

The article mentions that he ran too much? Well, yeah because other than Doyle & Hilton which WR could actually complete a pass & not drop the darn ball? Moncreif really took a huge step back or regressed. In addition, chemistry takes time & you can't expect perfection when Tolzien sucked & INDY was forced to make essentially a emergency trade. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Just to be clear, my anger over this sad article bears no reflection on Colton Stenger--the forum member kind enough to post it. 

This link was still required reading nevertheless. Thank you. 

I didn't feel attacked or anything man, I agree with you that the article was lacking. It seemed as the author was failing to give a good portrayal of Jacoby Brissett's season. Nonetheless I thought it a surprising read that needed to be shared just for the fact it was from a colts news website and it seemed the author had no knowledge of Brissetts season.

Most of Brissett's trouble came with not being familiar with the offense, and the offensive scheme in general...The kid can play..One of the best arms in the league, tough as hell, and while not fast per se' he had a knack for running the ball..I wouldn't say he is just a backup yet..I think he can become a top 15 qb maybe top 10 with good coaching and opportunity...Reminds me of Steve McNair, and even Jim Harbaugh a little bit too.. It takes time for qbs to develop..Look how much better Goff looked with a new coach in a new scheme..With him it's the mental part of just being comfortable and knowing the offense as well as chemistry with his receivers..He has all the physical tools to be very good..I would like to see him with a full offseason, in a good offense, better protection, and a few more weapons before I say he isn't good enough...Not many QBs would have been successful thrown into that situation with the pathetic coaches to go along with it..BILL BELICHIK and Bill Parcells both liked him, I'll trust their judgement...

Brissett held the ball even longer than Luck ever has. He repeatedly missed TY wide open. He either didn’t even see him, or he just wouldn’t pull the trigger.  He seemed to regress as the season went on.  I don’t see kirk cousins in him. I like him a lot, his attitude on the sidelines is awesome. But he’s probably a backup. 

42 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Brissett held the ball even longer than Luck ever has. He repeatedly missed TY wide open. He either didn’t even see him, or he just wouldn’t pull the trigger.  He seemed to regress as the season went on.  I don’t see kirk cousins in him. I like him a lot, his attitude on the sidelines is awesome. But he’s probably a backup. 

Part of the problem with Brissett holding on to the ball too long was being scared of making mistakes. When he first started he did throw a couple of game losing picks. Not getting any help from the offensive line nor the running game did nothing for his confidence either. As the season went on he was playing not to lose games instead of playing to win. Getting leads just to see your defense not play well enough especially in forth quarters to hold a lead. All of these factors played against him.

Just remember Peyton's first year?  Look, I am not calling him a Manning but it is not unusual for first year starters to struggle with the same problems we seen out of him.

He was thrown into the mix and didn't even know half the playbook. Learning on the fly is not easy when you are playing at the same time. He was basically a rookie even he had started a couple of games but he was in a great system on a complete team and wasn't ask to do too much.

Brissett needs to work on his mechanics and IMO that is where Frank Reich comes into play.

I can see the Steve McNair/Jim Harbaugh like comparison with Jacoby Brissett. I think he did solid considering who our coach was in 2017, the players around him, and he was brought at the last minute. I like JB, but I hope he is the backup QB come week 1. 

7 hours ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Getting not just sacked 48 times but getting hit after every pass by a 300lb monster would make anyone regress:angry:

12 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Most of Brissett's trouble came with not being familiar with the offense, and the offensive scheme in general...The kid can play..One of the best arms in the league, tough as hell, and while not fast per se' he had a knack for running the ball..I wouldn't say he is just a backup yet..I think he can become a top 15 qb maybe top 10 with good coaching and opportunity...Reminds me of Steve McNair, and even Jim Harbaugh a little bit too.. It takes time for qbs to develop..Look how much better Goff looked with a new coach in a new scheme..With him it's the mental part of just being comfortable and knowing the offense as well as chemistry with his receivers..He has all the physical tools to be very good..I would like to see him with a full offseason, in a good offense, better protection, and a few more weapons before I say he isn't good enough...Not many QBs would have been successful thrown into that situation with the pathetic coaches to go along with it..BILL BELICHIK and Bill Parcells both liked him, I'll trust their judgement...

I personally think he's a capable qb2 with the possibility of progressing to a lower tier starter. Not one to lead us to Super Bowls.

But your evaluation of him, which I value,are bit more comforting incase we have to depend on him.

13 hours ago, Colton Stenger said:

I didn't feel attacked or anything man, I agree with you that the article was lacking. It seemed as the author was failing to give a good portrayal of Jacoby Brissett's season. Nonetheless I thought it a surprising read that needed to be shared just for the fact it was from a colts news website and it seemed the author had no knowledge of Brissetts season.

Well said Colton. It does make you wonder if the author of that article saw any Colts games this past season. Like CC1 said earlier in this thread, it was like the author constructed an entire column completely around stats or numbers. 

I just wanted everybody to know that my furry was directed at the writer not you Colton. I figured you knew that of course. I just know that sometimes when I get ticked off...I can discourage other forum members from expressing their true beliefs online. No, I don't view myself as some sort of distortedly brilliant poster because I'm not. I just wanna make everybody feel welcome & realize that if I get mad--it's never at a person's IQ just their flawed reasoning that led to faulty conclusions just like this reporter did in JB's case. 

I am glad you shared the link because it can be used as motivation next season just in case Jacoby is forced to hold down the fort for a few games next season. 

4 hours ago, gnet550 said:

here is my evaluation, and he did get hit a lot and this would have solved some of it....

GET RID OF THE FREAKING BALL SON

Toward the latter portion of our season Jacoby was doing that G550. However, if you double cover Doyle & have DBs knock away the ball from Hilton...Who exactly is Brissett supposed to throw the ball to in order to have a snowball's chance of winning? 

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not playing with confidence and afraid of making mistakes is what causes a QB to hesitate on letting it rip.

Yeah and not being comfortable in the offense to know all his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th reads, and locking in on #1 option..Then the chemistry issue of not having training camp with his WR's ,and an injured mixmatched offensive line all made for an extremely difficult position to throw any QB into..

Just now, jshipp23 said:

I would like to have seen him audibling a lot more, and running his own show..He was still locking in on Hilton too much instead of progressing through his reads..

It's hard to go through any progressions with a 300 lb defensive player all over you.

All we need is better o-line blocking. Give Luck the time and he will find open receivers.

I would like to see more timing patterns. That would help him a bunch.