Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are our DE's already here?

On 2/20/2018 at 8:47 AM, rockywoj said:

I was also going to mention about the seemingly forgotten Henry Anderson.   He was coming along nicely from the previous year’s leg injury when the freak throat injury put him out for the rest of the year.

Another offseason removed from the leg issue, no reason why he ought not return at full power, perhaps recapturing the “poor man’s” JJ Watt label that was being thrown about in describing him.

I agree that we currently have WAY more depth and upside on the DL than we do on the OL.  Thus at this point, I really prefer bolstering the OL, read slight trade down & take Nelson, whom quite a few draft experts are calling the first or second best talent available in the draft.  Just not much love for an OG around here, which considering the poor Colts’ OLs over the past ten years, I find to be a rather mind boggling sentiment.

If we trade down that is the logical move! Honestly even if we don't trade down, the tape of Nelson is so impressive picking him 3rd still might be the logical move and protect Andrew!?

1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

If we trade down that is the logical move! Honestly even if we don't trade down, the tape of Nelson is so impressive picking him 3rd still might be the logical move and protect Andrew!?

That's what I would do.  Try to trade down ... to Denver or NYJ, hoping to get their 2nd round pick in return, then draft Nelson.  If I can't trade down, I draft Nelson.

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

That's what I would do.  Try to trade down ... to Denver or NYJ, hoping to get their 2nd round pick in return, then draft Nelson.  If I can't trade down, I draft Nelson.

Have to admit I like Chubb, but I am more convinced that Nelson will be the real deal. Nelson would make the entire OL better and make the players we currently have on OL better. Hard to argue and disagree with that.

5 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Have to admit I like Chubb, but I am more convinced that Nelson will be the real deal. Nelson would make the entire OL better and make the players we currently have on OL better. Hard to argue and disagree with that.

I completely agree with you, as I too reallly like Chubb.  Would love them both! 

But I think the OL is a bigger need, both because of current talent deficiency and because of the franchise player he would be protecting and the offensive game he could help to open up.  Many people are calling Nelson the best player in the draft, but whether he is the best, second best, third best, or whatever, he seems to be universally acclaimed as being an utter stud OG, being likened to all-time greats like John Hannah.  To me, I don't care if he's taken 3rd or 6th ... if he lives up to billing, a year from now, nobody will care if he was taken a mere three spots higher than some people think an OG ought to go.  FIX THE OL!

5 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I completely agree with you, as I too reallly like Chubb.  Would love them both! 

But I think the OL is a bigger need, both because of current talent deficiency and because of the franchise player he would be protecting and the offensive game he could help to open up.  Many people are calling Nelson the best player in the draft, but whether he is the best, second best, third best, or whatever, he seems to be universally acclaimed as being an utter stud OG, being likened to all-time greats like John Hannah.  To me, I don't care if he's taken 3rd or 6th ... if he lives up to billing, a year from now, nobody will care if he was taken a mere three spots higher than some people think an OG ought to go.  FIX THE OL!

EXACTLEY

Our team was what....31st in the league in sacks?? No...the answer (we are looking for) is not on the team. Maybe Basham will turn into a great DE. He is still an unknown....but we know what Simon and Sheard and the rest of our line is....and pass rushers they are not. Can they get better in this new defense....sure...but how much...maybe marginally I'd say....so maybe just changing defense...maybe some extra luck...we get to 24th/25th ranked pass rush. No if you want to jump into the top half of the league then we need more talented players at the rush edge. Guys that have been 2-4 sacks per season guys aren't going to suddenly jump to 15-20 sack artists...even if they double their output going from 2-4 isn't much help. We need talent to take that jump we want...and that talent is not on the team. Doubtful it comes in FA....we will have to draft it like most teams do. So if you want a Khalil Mack or Von Miller or a Justin Houston on this team we are going to have to draft them to get them....they aren't just going to be handed to us or suddenly appear from the group we have. If we are happy with the status quo....bottom of the league then we should sit back and do nothing about it....otherwise we may very likely have a player there at 3 that can help us do something about it. We will see how things shake out.  

On 20/02/2018 at 6:16 AM, throwing BBZ said:

About the time Basham should be coming into his own, and we May actually be real SB contenders, Sheard's contract will be up. Basham has good tools to become very solid.
So, yes we really need to add a solid starting/rotational level player ASAP, to have/develop for the current long term rebuild of our D.

I agree about Basham. I wouldn't overlook Sheard and Simon - they can get pressure. But no one is going to change their game plan for them. We definitely need a premier pass rusher this off season.