Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Until he re-signs, Brees is the top free agent QB

CF4L

At 39 though?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/17/until-he-re-signs-brees-is-the-top-free-agent-quarterback/

Until he re-signs, Brees is the top free-agent quarterback

Most regard Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins as the best available free-agent quarterback. And that probably will be the case, when March 14 rolls around. For now, however, there’s an even better quarterback set to hit the open market.

It’s Drew Brees. Signed to a six-year, $60 million deal by the Saints 12 years ago as an unrestricted free agent despite having more than 20 studs in his shoulder, Brees is now healthy. He’s also 39. But he has shown no signs of slippage in his play, and he could instantly make a bad team good (like the Browns), an average team very good (like the Jets or Broncos), a good team great (like the Cardinals), and a great team a Super Bowl champion (like the Vikings).

MDS pointed out that the Cleveland cap space could support an obscene offer, but Brees likely would regard the Browns as a rebuild that will take more years than he has left. If he’s going to leave a Saints team that already has all the signs of being a championship contender in 2018, he’d likely do it only for another championship contender.

Anyway, those are just some words I typed to tee up a video that presents our top five free-agent quarterbacks.

26 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Heck of a QB to say the least. I bet a lot of people don`t know Brees was drafted in the 2nd Rd. and after M. Vick.  

well vick went first overall.  

looking only at football he was a hell of a player too.  i believe he was runner up mvp to peyton and he has three big all time records himself, and probably a few lesser ones 

16 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

looking only at football he was a hell of a player too.  i believe he was runner up mvp to peyton and he has three big all time records himself, and probably a few lesser ones 

I agree Vick is a great player would have been even better had he not got into trouble 

45 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Dog gonnit!!! Vick could have been one of the all time greats.

He was an exciting athlete playing the QB position. His legs were his strength, but was a below average passer. Regardless if he was suspended or not I don`t think he would've achieved the status of an all time great QB. Athlete sure! 

11 minutes ago, MPStack said:

He was an exciting athlete playing the QB position. His legs were his strength, but was a below average passer. Regardless if he was suspended or not I don`t think he would've achieved the status of an all time great QB. Athlete sure! 

Actually I agree with you. My post was a joke. Did you not get the "Dog gonnit" remark? Lol

28 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Do you think Lamar Jackson will be a 'right handed' version of Vick? 

Regardless if he will or not he should be a very popular QB to play as in Madden. As was Vick.

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Do you think Lamar Jackson will be a 'right handed' version of Vick? 

Regardless if he will or not he should be a very popular QB to play as in Madden. As was Vick.

I don`t think he`ll be nearly as good as Vick was. FYI I`m not a fan of these type of QB`s period. If a QB`s best asset is his wheels, then he will be limited and eventually exposed in the NFL. I wouldn't draft L. Jackson in the 2nd Rd. let alone the 1st.   

4 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I don`t think he`ll be nearly as good as Vick was. FYI I`m not a fan of these type of QB`s period. If a QB`s best asset is his wheels, then he will be limited and eventually exposed in the NFL. I wouldn't draft L. Jackson in the 2nd Rd. let alone the 1st.   

Yeah, and more injury prone than conventional qb's.

19 hours ago, aaron11 said:

Lamar Jackson could be the next Vick..Somebody is going to steal that kid..He very well might turn out to be best QB in this draft...

On 2/17/2018 at 4:05 PM, aaron11 said:

San Diego had the first pick in that draft and traded it to Atlanta. Then drafted Tomlinson with the pick from Atlanta and Brees with the first pick in the second. 

8 minutes ago, dw49 said:

San Diego had the first pick in that draft and traded it to Atlanta. Then drafted Tomlinson with the pick from Atlanta and Brees with the first pick in the second. 

cool, but if not for the off the field stuff i dont think Atlanta would have been all that worried about taking vick over brees

he was an mvp candidate too

55 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

cool, but if not for the off the field stuff i dont think Atlanta would have been all that worried about taking vick over brees

he was an mvp candidate too

Never said they were .  Part of the discussion was about where Vick and Brees were picked in that draft . I have no idea why my post was "cool"  

18 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Never said they were .  Part of the discussion was about where Vick and Brees were picked in that draft . I have no idea why my post was "cool"  

no worries then.  that cool remark wasnt meant to be sarcastic either 

Nobody thinks Drew is gonna pull a Josh: Go to Denver, put Elway's mind at ease, back out, return to Jazz Country, & then face Orange Crush; Rocky Mountain wrath from the Broncos fan base. Brees is a stand up guy man. 

Off topic: Speaking of Colorado Springs & Rocky Mountains, has anyone noticed lately a resurgence in John Denver folk music? 2 movies I saw recently "Logan Lucky" & "Kingsman: The Golden Circle" used 'Take Me Home Country Roads' as their focal point theme song. 

I'm not complaining. I just found it odd that 2 popular flicks used the exact same track that's all. Maybe actor Channing Tatum really likes that number since he starred in both pictures. I don't know. 

Sorry, for the diversion folks. I just wondered about that. Carry on...

In all seriousness, no way he leaves the Saints at this point in time at his age. He is married to Sean Payton anyway and everyone knows it.

It sucks too, this postseason run could have been the best final chance Brees got. I will give him another shot though at it. Saints should go all in for one or two more years to try and get another ring for Brees. I mean assuming they can make game ending tackles and stuff.......

Article in first post mentioned Cleveland. RIGHT........sure....thats gonna happen.

I would be very suprised if he left the Saints and they didn't pay him. 

Drew has an 18 million dollar cap hit that if they don’t get him re-signed by March 14th will actually add on to his cap hit for the contract he does sign. So say he signs a 30 million dollar contract than it would be a 48 million dollar cap hit. Unless they get something done soon he will really tie up their off season. He isn’t going anywhere but he can really affect them greatly. Brees isn’t going to take a discount either. He is a player representative for the players union so he is going to push the contract further. The way NO have structured his contracts always pushing out his cap hits....they are going to have to pay the piper sooner or later. Only question is when.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Drew has an 18 million dollar cap hit that if they don’t get him re-signed by March 14th will actually add on to his cap hit for the contract he does sign. So say he signs a 30 million dollar contract than it would be a 48 million dollar cap hit. Unless they get something done soon he will really tie up their off season. He isn’t going anywhere but he can really affect them greatly. Brees isn’t going to take a discount either. He is a player representative for the players union so he is going to push the contract further. The way NO have structured his contracts always pushing out his cap hits....they are going to have to pay the piper sooner or later. Only question is when.

You make a good point about him not taking a discount because he is a player rep.

8 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

You make a good point about him not taking a discount because he is a player rep.

He was the first 20 million dollar qb....he will try to push the market for other QBs like Aaron Rodgers etc. I expect something bigger then Jimmy G’s contract. He isn’t Tom Brady...and he isn’t going to work in the Saints front office some day like Tom probably will.