Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This is the Deepest Off-Ball LB Class I've Ever Seen

What a perfect time for the Colts to decide to switch to a 4-3. We've talked about the Colts lack of athletic coverage LB's for years, and it seems now is the perfect time to fix that position group. Not only is the draft top heavy with guys like Tremaine Edmunds, Smith, and Evans, but you've got quality guys who can be found throughout every round. There may be upwards of 10+ LBs who run in the 4.6's at the combine. I've got more tape to watch but so far the list of quality LBs include:

-Tremaine Edmunds, VT

-Roquan Smith, Georgia

-Rashan Evans, Alabama

-Leighton Vander-Esch, Boise State

-Darius Leonard, South Carolina State

-Josey Jewell, Iowa

-Jerome Baker, Ohio State

-Fred Warner, BYU

-Christian Sam, Arizona State

-Tegray Scales, Indiana

-Malik Jefferson, Texas

There's also some sleeper potential with guys like Airius Moore, Matthew Thomas, and Mike McCray who I haven't been able to watch yet. I know a lot of people are suggesting we go after ILB's in FA, and I'd be okay with getting Hitchens because of his connection with Eberflus, but I think it would be better long term for the Colts to draft 2 ILB's in this draft. We save money by having young guys on rookie deals rather than veterans who aren't a guarantee to produce in the same capacity on a different team.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

They don't need Roquan. Vander-Esch is just as good and will likely be available in the 2nd round.

Welllllllll, I have heard several respected people (Pat Kirwin included) declaring that Roquan Smith is, in their opinion, THE best LB in this year’s draft.  That being said, if a top flight LB prospect can be had by the Colts after the first round, then terrific!

Regardless, it would be so exciting to have a impactful field general manning the MLB position.

17 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Welllllllll, I have heard several respected people (Pat Kirwin included) declaring that Roquan Smith is, in their opinion, THE best LB in this year’s draft.  That being said, if a top flight LB prospect can be had by the Colts after the first round, then terrific!

Regardless, it would be so exciting to have a impactful field general manning the MLB position.

I'm a huge fan of Roquan, but he is most definitely not the best linebacker in this draft.  That merit belongs to Edmunds.  And I've been ready to go as far as Edmunds being the best player in this draft.  

Back onto Roquan everyone worries about his size which is a valid concern.  If he comes into the combine under 6' and under 235lbs, his stock is going to take a massive hit.  Do I think that justified?  No I don't.  I think his tape shows an explosive and great in space linebacker that can play all 3 downs. Plus it's hard to ignore the type of production he has had and a large portion of it against NFL level talent in the SEC.

11 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Roquan had the best production, but the knock on him is size. Tremaine Edmunds for example is bigger and faster so has a higher ceiling. Roquan has the best floor of any LB though. However, he's probably limited to a WILL role at the next level. Vander-Esch or Edmunds are the impactful field general MLB's. Vander-Esch is more ready to lead though as Edmunds is only 19. Roquan is very good but the best is debateable. He may be the best tackler but if you factor in all other skills, he's not the best.

Just now, Surge89 said:

I'm a huge fan of Roquan, but he is most definitely not the best linebacker in this draft.  That merit belongs to Edmunds.  And I've been ready to go as far as Edmunds being the best player in this draft.  

Back onto Roquan everyone worries about his size which is a valid concern.  If he comes into the combine u see 6' and under 235lbs, his stock is going to take a massive hit.  Do I think that justified?  No I don't.  I think his tape shows an explosive and great in space linebacker that can play all 3 downs. Plus it's hard to ignore the type of production he has had and a large portion of it against NFL level talent in the SEC.

Well in that case, I hope he measures short and light, takes that massive drop in rating, then falls to the Colts at the 4th pick of the second round. :)

3 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Well in that case, I hope he measures short and light, takes that massive drop in rating, then falls to the Colts at the 4th pick of the second round. :)

If that were to happen oh my goodness...  I'll be travelling to this year's draft and I'll be hammered drunk if this is our 2nd round pick.

Please football gods please! Lol

2 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

If that were to happen oh my goodness...  I'll be travelling to this year's draft and I'll be hammered drunk if this is our 2nd round pick.

Please football gods please! Lol

It's not entirely impossible. The way I see it, you have 3 potential 1st round LBs. Smith, Edmunds, and Evans. Edmunds is a top 10 pick with how freaky he is. Smith is good, but like I said he's probably just a WILL at the next level. I'm not sure how smart it is to draft a 1 dimensional player with somewhat questionable size in the first round. His comparison is Lavonte David. But more teams are looking for the next Luke Keuchly, Brian Urlacher, etc.. than they are for the next David. He could experience a draft day slip. It's not unheard of for a player of his talent to slip. Who would have thought Landon Collins (who is now a pro-bowler) would fall to the 2nd round?

In Tampa 2(what we seem to be preparing to run next season)  one of the important(hell, you can even say crucial) characteristics of the linebackers is that they need to be fast and hardhitting/good tacklers. Do we have even a SINGLE(!!!) ILB on the roster right now that fits that criteria? We will need multiple additions IMO.

Anthony Hitchens seems to be the prohibitive favorite to be our mike linebacker and somewhat of a captain and playcaller for the defense since he already has experience in the system and the mike position is the most demanding when it comes to mental processing of what the opponent is doing. 

I think Evans would be insane get if he drops to the second round. Vander-Esch is another good option with speed. In a weird way Malik Jefferson becomes a prime candidate for us to take as one of the outside linebackers since he won't be required to do a lot of reading of the offense(what I think is his worst attribute) and will be responsible for his own zone and will be required to just get there as quick as possible and light up the runner or pass-catcher(which is what I think his strengths are). 

Here's something that I've been thinking about for a while now and the transition into Tampa 2 might present an argument in favor of that idea - convert TJ Green into a weakside linebacker. Use his speed and physicality(pretty much his only two positive characteristics) in a way that allows him to see what's happening in front of him and use his speed to chase plays happening in his zone. I'm not certain this would work, but him being a corner or a safety hasn't worked either. IMO him playing closer to the LOS gives him the best chance to succeed. 

The combine is in 2 weeks. When watching the LB prospects look at the speedy ones. IMO we won't be taking any plodding Girgson/Pagano types(Morrison, etc). This new defense should be speedy, fast-flying gangtackling defense that allows the LBs and safeties to use their speed. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we took 2 linebackers in the draft - if we traded back in the draft I wouldn't be shocked if we got Roquan or Edmunds or... hell, even Evans if we trade back in the mid-late first. If we don't trade back drafting the best available in day 2 would also be somewhat expected. I also think we will go for one more LB sometime in day 3(if one of the speedy ones drops for some reason(Scales, Warner, Baker, Shaun Dion Hamilton?). 

20 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

I agree it’s a good class, but Hitchens is only 26. I think we’d be fine only taking one in the draft. 

I think we will have at least 3 new LBs. Either 2 in the draft and one in FA or the other way around... Hitchens very likely will be one of them. 

20 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

I agree it’s a good class, but Hitchens is only 26. I think we’d be fine only taking one in the draft. 

If we do miss out on Hitchens or Brown then I think we'll need two LBs, If we do sign one then I think we use a day 2 pick on a LB and still maybe another late rounder. I think Simon can play SAM but right now there's no WILL or MLB on our roster.

30 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think we will have at least 3 new LBs. Either 2 in the draft and one in FA or the other way around... Hitchens very likely will be one of them. 

26 minutes ago, ty4atd said:

If we do miss out on Hitchens or Brown then I think we'll need two LBs, If we do sign one then I think we use a day 2 pick on a LB and still maybe another late rounder. I think Simon can play SAM but right now there's no WILL or MLB on our roster.

I just want to take one of the talented guards that will be available in the 2nd round. 

Maybe we could grab someone like Jerome Baker in the 3rd/4th. 

There might be a slim outside chance Rashaan Evans falls out of the first. One thing if you look at the draft from the Buffalo at pick #22 backwards is that theres alot of teams with good LB corps in Carolina, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Philly, Minnesota. I think NE will need to pick a CB. So you never know, but probably highly unlikely.

43 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

I just want to take one of the talented guards that will be available in the 2nd round. 

Maybe we could grab someone like Jerome Baker in the 3rd/4th. 

IMO ideally we trade down to 6 and acquire an additional 2nd+. Use one of the 2nds for a guard and the other one for a LB. 

1 hour ago, ty4atd said:

Yeah and it’s unfortunate we don’t know what Anthony Walker can do. He’s probably a SAM. But yeah we have no WILL or MLB. I think a team of Vander-Esch and Fred Warner would be nice. If we get Hitchens we still have needs at the position.

20 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Myles jack fell to the second round projected to be a top 10 pick. Roquan smith could have a similar drop. He reminds me of alec olgetree little undersized but plays hard. The more I think about edmunds has the size, speed, and age that makes him even more intriguing. 

I know its risky but to return the favor and give the patriots the finger we should trade back with the Bills give them the franchise qb to screw the pats over for the next decade and recieve one hell of a haul. Recieving the bills 2 firsts and 2 seconds.

A haul of say Evans, Price, Raquon, Sony, and Conor williams would be exciting. Assuming we sign hitchens, Ansah, and Norwell. That would be a hell of an upgrade for both sides of the ball. Just my opinion though

A late 4th or 5th round draft pick that could be a good pass rusher would be Hercules Mafa ata from WSU! The dude has lightning fast speed and worth a steal this late in the draft for what his value might be worth. He played on the Dline at WSU but is undersize for the NFL D-end or outside rush linebacker would be my guess for him in the NFL.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

In Tampa 2(what we seem to be preparing to run next season)  one of the important(hell, you can even say crucial) characteristics of the linebackers is that they need to be fast and hardhitting/good tacklers. Do we have even a SINGLE(!!!) ILB on the roster right now that fits that criteria? We will need multiple additions IMO.

Anthony Hitchens seems to be the prohibitive favorite to be our mike linebacker and somewhat of a captain and playcaller for the defense since he already has experience in the system and the mike position is the most demanding when it comes to mental processing of what the opponent is doing. 

I think Evans would be insane get if he drops to the second round. Vander-Esch is another good option with speed. In a weird way Malik Jefferson becomes a prime candidate for us to take as one of the outside linebackers since he won't be required to do a lot of reading of the offense(what I think is his worst attribute) and will be responsible for his own zone and will be required to just get there as quick as possible and light up the runner or pass-catcher(which is what I think his strengths are). 

Here's something that I've been thinking about for a while now and the transition into Tampa 2 might present an argument in favor of that idea - convert TJ Green into a weakside linebacker. Use his speed and physicality(pretty much his only two positive characteristics) in a way that allows him to see what's happening in front of him and use his speed to chase plays happening in his zone. I'm not certain this would work, but him being a corner or a safety hasn't worked either. IMO him playing closer to the LOS gives him the best chance to succeed. 

The combine is in 2 weeks. When watching the LB prospects look at the speedy ones. IMO we won't be taking any plodding Girgson/Pagano types(Morrison, etc). This new defense should be speedy, fast-flying gangtackling defense that allows the LBs and safeties to use their speed. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we took 2 linebackers in the draft - if we traded back in the draft I wouldn't be shocked if we got Roquan or Edmunds or... hell, even Evans if we trade back in the mid-late first. If we don't trade back drafting the best available in day 2 would also be somewhat expected. I also think we will go for one more LB sometime in day 3(if one of the speedy ones drops for some reason(Scales, Warner, Baker, Shaun Dion Hamilton?). 

I certainly wonder what role if any TJ Green has on this new scheme. Can he become that WILL lb’er with all his speed and athleticism? He now has 2 seasons in the nfl that hasn’t gone well at cb and safety but he can sure fly and hit like a truck. Is his frame big enough to hold up as a lb’er for a season with hits on TE’s and RB’s more frequently? That would be the question for me. I think he has the talent to become a will backer though. 

2 hours ago, PressUrLuck208 said:

Myles jack fell to the second round projected to be a top 10 pick. Roquan smith could have a similar drop. He reminds me of alec olgetree little undersized but plays hard. The more I think about edmunds has the size, speed, and age that makes him even more intriguing. 

I know its risky but to return the favor and give the patriots the finger we should trade back with the Bills give them the franchise qb to screw the pats over for the next decade and recieve one hell of a haul. Recieving the bills 2 firsts and 2 seconds.

A haul of say Evans, Price, Raquon, Sony, and Conor williams would be exciting. Assuming we sign hitchens, Ansah, and Norwell. That would be a hell of an upgrade for both sides of the ball. Just my opinion though

Not only would a haul of Evans, Price, Raquon, Sony and Williams be exciting.... it's also impossible...

Evans 1st rounder

Price   1st or 2nd rounder

Smith  1st rounder

Michel  1st or 2nd rounder

Williams. 1st rounder

How are we doing that?    Where are all those draft picks coming from?

28 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

T.J. Green haters are gonna learn soon..Very rare athlete, simplified defense is gonna pay big dividends for him..When he was drafted he was raw..Year 3 is his time..

I think it's time to let it go. The Green hype train left the station awhile ago. In 5 years (going back to college) this is his 3rd position change. Switching him to another isn't going to change anything. The guy is not a good football player. He's just a body. He's basically Stephen Hill. Looks good, tests well, but not a good football player.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not only would a haul of Evans, Price, Raquon, Sony and Williams be exciting.... it's also impossible...

Evans 1st rounder

Price   1st or 2nd rounder

Smith  1st rounder

Michel  1st or 2nd rounder

Williams. 1st rounder

How are we doing that?    Where are all those draft picks coming from?

Im saying hypothetically if we traded back with the bills and recieved the 2 firsts this year and there 2 seconds. Raquon would have to slide thats why i brought up the myles jack comparison. Evans and price are for sure 1st rounders. Williams imo is an early day 2 guy. Depending on need same with sony. With 3 second round picks you could potential move back into the first round if someone feel you really like or stay put. Either way we could give the patriots the finger for trying to setback/screw the colts by giving the bills there qb of the future. Jmo

Shaun Dion Hamilton is underrated i believe. He had a great 2016 til he tore his ACL in the SEC Championship. He came back and was playing great til a broken knee cap. These injuries have pushed him down a lot of draft boards, but he's said to be the smartest one on the field. PFF had him ranked higher than Evans & Fitzpatrick going into the LSU game.

1710-LSU-at-Alabama-768x432-1.jpg

18 hours ago, PressUrLuck208 said:

Myles fell due to injuries and he played mulitable positions.