Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN and Fox fighting to sign Peyton [Merge]

RockThatBlue

Ehh we'll see but I don't think Manning is too interested in anything right now other then what he is doing.  (Mostly commercials)

You think about it.

If Manning wanted to be a coach.  He could be at the very least a QB coach maybe even an offensive coordinator at any level right now.  Someone would hire him. 

If Manning wanted to be in a front office, again maybe he couldn't step right into the GM job but he could get a front office job and work his way up.  Right now

If he wanted to be in the booth he could get that job.  Right now

Now the TV guys are the most desperate to bring him in.  He'd be a home run for them.  He's got an incredible knowledge of the game and is loaded with Charisma.  

• Like 4

Report: ESPN, FOX both trying to sign Peyton Manning as prime time analyst

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/16/report-espn-fox-both-trying-to-sign-peyton-manning-as-prime-time-analyst/

...The report indicates that if Manning wants the job, he could command several million dollars a year for it. The only question is whether he wants the job. So far, Manning has shied away from doing television in retirement...

...Manning is said to covet a job running a team’s front office. Seeing John Lynch successfully transition from TV analyst to General Manager of the 49ers may make Manning more interested in working TV while he looks for the right NFL job...

30 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

He's got media in his future, but FOX & ESPN are beneath Manning. I'd like to see him on CBS or NBC

He could ultimately replace Al Michaels if he wanted to 

If he works MNF next to Mike Tirico, it would be a good replacement for Jon Gruden. Peyton has his own quirky sense of humor and I wouldn't mind it.

Peyton would roll his eyes every time Collinsworth kisses Brady's behind, so NBC, I do not see it happening.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Ian Rapoport Retweeted New York Post

This has always seemed like the most likely job for Peyton Manning. Why run a team now if the family may buy a team at some point?

Ian Rapoport added,

DWK3yzbXUAgc35o.jpg
    New York PostVerified account @nypost
    suit of Peyton Manning http://nyp.st/2

I never thought of that. Peyton and Eli pulling assets and maybe buying say the Titans or the Saints down the line. There is no doubt that even as a minority stake they could very well pull money together from all the people they knows and they all trust him and his family to handle the football side of things out front. He is just as marketable as a team itself...corporate sponsors lining up to throw money at the Manning family. But the selfish side of me just wants to watch a game and listen to Peyton breaking down plays as they go along. I could just sit and listen to him break down boring film study all day long. No doubt the money would be good!

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Ian Rapoport Retweeted New York Post

This has always seemed like the most likely job for Peyton Manning. Why run a team now if the family may buy a team at some point?

Ian Rapoport added,

DWK3yzbXUAgc35o.jpg
    New York PostVerified account @nypost
    suit of Peyton Manning http://nyp.st/2

kind of lends some credence to the wanting ownership stakes last year to be the GM thing that was reported

• 21isSuperman changed the title to ESPN and Fox fighting to sign Peyton [Merge]

I think a studio job with Coach Dungy for Sunday Night Football makes the most sense. Generally those are always at the same place so you know your schedule etc each week and you get your flights and hotel arrangements set for the year etc...it's a lot more reactionary (opinionated) so the home work isn't quite the same where your interviewing people week in and out to get info for the game...and this way he is home with his family or he is I'm assuming in New York where he can film his commercials too. Heck he can stay at Eli's place lol. I think his best fit though would be Monday Night football. It's prime time....game of the week...and his insights and witty humor would play well with Tirico. But that's just my personal desires to get more Peyton nuggets on what he sees on the field.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Al seemed grouchy too at times when he was announcing. Didn't seem like himself.

Who wouldn't, if they had to spend a lot of time with that Collinsworth guy? Maybe he is promoting his investment firm that he advertises whenever he talks to Al, or says "did you see Brady do that" jokes too often. :) 

5 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

Everyone who joins the halftime studio crews ends up looking like fools. The guys on FOX in particular sound like a bunch of blabbermouths. Manning should stay far far away

I actually think the exact opposite SDS. ESPN is dead & clownville while Fox is the future with Joe Buck, Colin Cowherd, Mark Schlereth, & Shannon Sharpe. ESPN is a complete joke. 

I'd rather see Manning as a play by play guy on Fox taking over John Lynch's old booth job with a partner. Forget ESPN that company is on life support & nobody subscribes to that lousy TV Network anymore. I sure don't. 

Either that or go to CBS & pair Manning up with Phil Simms who got railroaded by Tony Romo whom I hate & think is so overrated that it's not even funny. 

Why would ESPN go after Manning when that network was so relieved to get Gruden's MNF salary off their books & then throw more money at #18 then they paid to Chucky? It makes absolutely no sense financially for ESPN. 

1 lovable personality AKA the Sheriff isn't gonna resurrect that dismal network. 

Look, I think Peyton would be a great game analyst. Just go anywhere but ESPN please. Thai's all I ask. 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

Why would ESPN go after Manning when that network was so relieved to get Gruden's MNF salary off their books & then throw more money at #18 then they paid to Chucky? It makes absolutely no sense financially for ESPN. 

1 lovable personality AKA the Sheriff isn't gonna resurrect that dismal network. 

If Fox was the why are they selling everything to Disney or Univwrsal

22 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I'll be honest with you PT. As much as movies are a favorite pastime of mine, I don't track which company owns which studio. Never been a concern of mine.

I can't blame Manning wanting the most money for his game breakdown talents. I would just caution him that ESPN will want him to take less money when his renewal comes up. Peyton's got a nice speaking voice & if Fox had both the early & late local game on local TV; it would be a nice transition to go from Troy Aikman/Joe Buck to Peyton Manning & Phil Simms. Plus, Phil doesn't trample all over Jim Nantz's words like Tony Romo does in every single broadcast. 

Peyton & Phil would be tremendous together. Easy to listen to & relevant on the fly information for their audience.  In addition, CBS covers the vast majority of AFC games. The conference that Manning played in his entire NFL career. 

33 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I'll be honest with you PT. As much as movies are a favorite pastime of mine, I don't track which company owns which studio. Never been a concern of mine.

I can't blame Manning wanting the most money for his game breakdown talents. I would just caution him that ESPN will want him to take less money when his renewal comes up. Peyton's got a nice speaking voice & if Fox had both the early & late local game on local TV; it would be a nice transition to go from Troy Aikman/Joe Buck to Peyton Manning & Phil Simms. Plus, Phil doesn't trample all over Jim Nantz's words like Tony Romo does in every single broadcast. 

Peyton & Phil would be tremendous together. Easy to listen to & relevant on the fly information for their audience.  In addition, CBS covers the vast majority of AFC games. The conference that Manning played in his entire NFL career. 

Fox has agreed to sell everything but Fox News and FS1, FS2, Fox Network and BTN to Disney/ABC/ESPN but NBCUniversal may try to play a part

33 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I will say this though. Selling a major motion picture studio has little to nothing to do with NFL on air pundits or booth talent. Divisions in a given network like Fox, ESPN, ABC, or CBS have little to do with play by play guys. 

Usually, it revolves around a simple downsizing question. In other words, where does the network pull in the highest ratings & which film divisions make the most money overseas & domestically. Dumping studios isn't necessarily a sign of chapter 11 bankruptcy. It can be sure, but typically it's a streaming issue where companies like Amazon can produce & distribute pictures mush cheaper to a specific niche group than they could like say 8 yrs ago making major studios less relevant & profitable now. Film companies have finally figured this fact out. Hence, they sell off studios that can no longer be finally viable. 

There is little correlation between expensive NFL talent & movie studios on the auction block. It's a technological advancement factor as opposed to a salary on air talent factor now. 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

I will say this though. Selling a major motion picture studio has little to nothing to do with NFL on air pundits or booth talent. Divisions in a given network like Fox, ESPN, ABC, or CBS have little to do with play by play guys. 

Usually, it revolves around a simple downsizing question. In other words, where does the network pull in the highest ratings & which film divisions make the most money overseas & domestically. Dumping studios isn't necessarily a sign of chapter 11 bankruptcy. It can be sure, but typically it's a streaming issue where companies like Amazon can produce & distribute pictures mush cheaper to a specific niche group than they could like say 8 yrs ago making major studios less relevant & profitable now. Film companies have finally figured this fact out. Hence, they sell off studios that can no longer be finally viable. 

There is little correlation between expensive NFL talent & movie studios on the auction block. It's a technological advancement factor as opposed to a salary on air talent factor now. 

See above the deal is for everything and if approved will change the face of the Fox Network

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

I actually think the exact opposite SDS. ESPN is dead & clownville while Fox is the future with Joe Buck, Colin Cowherd, Mark Schlereth, & Shannon Sharpe. ESPN is a complete joke. 

I'd rather see Manning as a play by play guy on Fox taking over John Lynch's old booth job with a partner. Forget ESPN that company is on life support & nobody subscribes to that lousy TV Network anymore. I sure don't. 

Either that or go to CBS & pair Manning up with Phil Simms who got railroaded by Tony Romo whom I hate & think is so overrated that it's not even funny. 

Now now SW, your hatred for the Cowboys is bleeding over to Romo.  IMO he is a better announcer than quite a few others. I dislike the Cowboys too but Romo was just an employee. :D

7 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

See above the deal is for everything and if approved will change the face of the Fox Network

1 thing I never really adjusted to was TNF because [speaking only for me here] it's too much football too close together on Sunday, Monday, & now Thursday which seeps into your weekend. I just don't care for TNF unless INDY is playing. Besides, if the prime time game is good NFL Network will re-air it the following week anyway. 

Like an article said above, I'd like to know who Fox Network would pair Manning up with. That's huge. 

I just don't like ESPN period. Such an over bloated network to me who has always hated INDY, which would force 18 to defend the Colts organization 24/7. It sounds cool initially yes, but eventually, it might make fans wish Manning would just talk about the 2 teams on the field exclusively & nothing else.