Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF: Colts Free Agency Preview

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I think Chester Rogers will work well in slot..I do want to get a tall big bodied WR to replace Moncrief..

I see no reason we can't use both.  Tough matchup dealing with Cobb and Ty in bunch sets and then you have your outlet option in Rogers.   Plus whoever the other #2 is.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I see no reason we can't use both.  Tough matchup dealing with Cobb and Ty in bunch sets and then you have your outlet option in Rogers.   Plus whoever the other #2 is.

I like Cobb, he is a tough player, I wouldn't mind him at all...Still want to get a big WR too even if we get Cobb..

4 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I like Cobb, he is a tough player, I wouldn't mind him at all...Still want to get a big WR too even if we get Cobb..

I agree.   Not sure what their plans are with Moncrief as far as keeping or replacing.   Wonder if we've got room for Cobb and Robinson?  Probably not??

On 2/14/2018 at 11:59 AM, jshipp23 said:

It worked out ok for Jacksonville and Raiders the previous year...If you want big time players you have to pay the price...Even if we had our own guys at that level we had to resign we will have to pay up or let them walk..Right now we don't, if we want to compete with the best we need high level players...Hopefully Ballards picks become that, but right now we have a lot of good to average players but not many true gamechangers..

overspending does not always  produce wins and often ruins a franchise

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

overspending does not always  produce wins and often ruins a franchise

With the cap increasing every year, it's becoming the nature of the beast now..Whether it's to sign top free agents ,or keep your own top players, you have to overpay to keep or recruit good players..I don't think there is any way around it unfortunately..That is why the draft is so important to get great players on rookie deals..

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

With the cap increasing every year, it's becoming the nature of the beast now..Whether it's to sign top free agents ,or keep your own top players, you have to overpay to keep or recruit good players..I don't think there is any way around it unfortunately..That is why the draft is so important to get great players on rookie deals..

The problem is not overspending to keep a player or address a need but  acting like a kid in a candy and spend just because 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The problem is not overspending to keep a player or address a need but  acting like a kid in a candy and spend just because 

I agree with all that, but I would like to get a couple impact guys and we will have to pay up to do so...Getting mid tier guys is great for depth, but they aren't going to impact wins and losses like a true thoroughbred will...Jacksonville as an example, Calais Campbell and Bouye really helped to make that defense elite..

I think GB will cut Cobb...

Nelson, while old, has already stated that he will restructure and take less money to stay in GB. Plus, he's better than Cobb. I think they use him as a stop gap this, and maybe next, year.

I'd take Cobb, but it would have to be a pretty cheap deal... His play regressed before AR was hurt, iirc.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

Tyrelle Pryor and Alshon Jeffery had all the above.  Neither got that and they weren't coming off of a missed year with ACL tear. 

Hopefully that's the case and we can get him at a discount rate...I would rather sign him to a long term deal than a prove it deal personally, I think he will be fine..

Personally Id rather see us drop a pretty penny on Landry and call it a day for the receiver position. He's definitely worthy of a top shelf contract. Some where between 10 & 14 million sounds about right annually; I'd just front load the contract over the first 2 to 3 years. I know that'd be a lot of money invested in receivers, but in the long run it'll be well worth it. Whoever we have at QB would be ecstatic to have a receiving line up of Hilton, Landry, & Doyle.

I'm pretty sure we wont be able to land him, but you never know. 

49 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Hopefully that's the case and we can get him at a discount rate...I would rather sign him to a long term deal than a prove it deal personally, I think he will be fine..

I wouldn't call it a discount rate.  I would say if we can get a 4 year 34mil, that would be a good number for him right now.  If he wants a 1 year 8 mil prove it deal to try and parlay it into more then fell free. 

27 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I wouldn't call it a discount rate.  I would say if we can get a 4 year 34mil, that would be a good number for him right now.  If he wants a 1 year 8 mil prove it deal to try and parlay it into more then fell free. 

I could live with that for sure...I worry about the 1 year deal..Like with Jeffery, if he produces like I think he will you are then looking at him commanding 12+ million..If we sign him I hope it's long-term if he stays healthy he can be elite..

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:10 AM, jshipp23 said:

Hopefully we go for quality over quantity and overpay for difference makers for once...Dream free agency will be Norwell, Ansah, and Robinson...Resign Melvin or pay a little more and get Trumaine Johnson..We have the cap to pull it off so we are in a position of strength bargaining wise this free agency period..If we pull something similar to this off, it will allow us to truly take BPA in draft, and not be forced to draft on need.. 

Personally I hope we DRAFT difference makers and SIGN quantity over quality FA, it will make cap management 2-4 years down the road maintainable.........if you SIGN difference makers you will have to OVER PAY to do so.....but no off season is black and white so the trick is to balance the draft and FA out in a financially manageable way

On 2/14/2018 at 12:05 PM, danlhart87 said:

Keep dreaming we aren't getting Ansah Johnson and Norwell let alone 1 of them

I have to be that guy..... see this all the time, people flip this phrase...... it's We won't get one of Ansah, Johnson, or Norwell, let alone all of them......  Listing them and saying let alone one after the list makes zero sense when read....  

Stupid OCD rant over.....