Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF: Colts Free Agency Preview

PFF have been going through teams and summarising the FA requirements.  Next up, the Colts:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-free-agency-preview-indianapolis-colts?utm_content=buffer02823&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

There is nothing particularly "out of the box", and I have summarised below:

Biggest Needs:

Offensive Line

Secondary

Running Back

Wide Receiver

Notable Free Agents:

Rashaan Melvin

Frank Gore

Jon Bostic

Barkevious Mingo

Darius Butler

Adam Vinatieri

Must Re-Sign:

Rashaan Melvin

Dream Splash Signing:

Andrew Norwell

2018 Free Agent Prospects:

Avery Williamson

Jarvis Landry

In line with a lot of what we have seen in the various mocks in here.

I agree that Ballard must find a way to bring back Melvin on a cap friendly deal.

I think this team has to go after Anthony Hitchens from Dallas to help with this LB core that needs completely revamped. He could be had for an affordable contract. 

Then after him, I'd say another must sign is OG Zach Fulton from KC. He has plenty of experience and wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to sign him like Norwell.

After Fulton, I really feel this team needs a player like Timmy Jernigan on the DL. Reich knows him from Philly, and Jernigan played in a 4-3 with Philly and I'm not sure Henry Anderson fits the 4-3 yet. Outside of Hankins, Woods, Ridgeway, Basham, and Sheard, I don't see a lot of fits for a 4-3 from current Colts D-lineman. 

My dream get would be WR Allen Robinson on a prove it deal. He fits what I believe Reich wants in a WR, and would give Luck 3 talented WRs in Hilton, Moncrief, and Robinson, with Chester Rogers taking the slot role. 

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I would say LB's are a huge need as well.  Honestly I would put them above Secondary, RB's and WR's for sure.

That's a very fair point. 

I would say our "Cover 3" of Melvin, Wilson and Hooker could be a great trio if all healthy, but LB is a huge need with no real answers as we stand.

Hopefully we go for quality over quantity and overpay for difference makers for once...Dream free agency will be Norwell, Ansah, and Robinson...Resign Melvin or pay a little more and get Trumaine Johnson..We have the cap to pull it off so we are in a position of strength bargaining wise this free agency period..If we pull something similar to this off, it will allow us to truly take BPA in draft, and not be forced to draft on need.. 

54 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Hopefully we go for quality over quantity and overpay for difference makers for once...Dream free agency will be Norwell, Ansah, and Robinson...Resign Melvin or pay a little more and get Trumaine Johnson..We have the cap to pull it off so we are in a position of strength bargaining wise this free agency period..If we pull something similar to this off, it will allow us to truly take BPA in draft, and not be forced to draft on need.. 

Keep dreaming we aren't getting Ansah Johnson and Norwell let alone 1 of them

My biggest problem with it is it seems to suggest we should look at Landry.  I don't think that's going to happen.  Guy is going to want some big time money and there are much cheaper options that could do well as a #2.  

You can get a good #2 for 6 to 8 mil.  Landry is probably going to be wanting like 14 mil.

17 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

My biggest problem with it is it seems to suggest we should look at Landry.  I don't think that's going to happen.  Guy is going to want some big time money and there are much cheaper options that could do well as a #2.  

You can get a good #2 for 6 to 8 mil.  Landry is probably going to be wanting like 14 mil.

Could not agree more.

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Why do you say this?  You are assuming we have zero chance of any?

I don't know why danlhart 87 thinks this??We have a good shot at them..Our main competition will be 49ers and Browns..Most guys are not gonna want to go to the Browns and 49ers just paid Jimmy G huge money to bring them to our level cap wise..Not a lot of teams have the cap room to be big players this year..We have a good chance to snag 2 or 3 difference makers and still resign our guys..

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I don't like overpaying for FAs. Build through the draft and make other small deals like Hitchens LB and Robinson WR.

I don't disagree but you made a statement assuming we have zero chance to land those 3, and that is incorrect as of right now.  Your preference is different...I agree with your preference though.

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I don't like overpaying for FAs. Build through the draft and make other small deals like Hitchens LB and Robinson WR.

We are not in cap trouble..We have too many holes to rebuild solely through the draft, we need top end players..By the time these guys free agent contracts are up it will be time to sign our draft picks that have hopefully developed by then..That is when build mainly through draft philosophy will better fit..Right now we have no reason to sit on money..

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I don't know why danlhart 87 thinks this??We have a good shot at them..Our main competition will be 49ers and Browns..Most guys are not gonna want to go to the Browns and 49ers just paid Jimmy G huge money to bring them to our level cap wise..Not a lot of teams have the cap room to be big players this year..We have a good chance to snag 2 or 3 difference makers and still resign our guys..

We for sure have a shot and I see Ballard doing his due diligence on the cost of each, assuming the hit the market.  It is for sure possibly we get at least one.

18 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

We are not in cap trouble..We have too many holes to rebuild solely through the draft, we need top end players..By the time these guys free agent contracts are up it will be time to sign our draft picks that have hopefully developed by then..That is when build mainly through draft philosophy will better fit..Right now we have no reason to sit on money..

Throwing HUGE contracts at players doesn't guarantee success and is far more likely to cripple a team!

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Throwing HUGE contracts at players doesn't guarantee success and is far more likely to cripple a team!

It worked out ok for Jacksonville and Raiders the previous year...If you want big time players you have to pay the price...Even if we had our own guys at that level we had to resign we will have to pay up or let them walk..Right now we don't, if we want to compete with the best we need high level players...Hopefully Ballards picks become that, but right now we have a lot of good to average players but not many true gamechangers..

7 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

The point is don't put all of your eggs in one basket. Rebuilding is a long process!

If the Jags don't win a title in a year or two all that money is wasted when they are in cap hell

lmao that using most all of your payroll to build a REAL SB contender is EVER a Waste.
And the Jags will be about $45 M under the Cap again in 2019 with most of the guaranteed money they paid out the last 2 years used up. They wisely can have maximum flexibility with these top end players regarding trades or cuts, or converting salary into roster bonuses or pay cuts.

10 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Actually there is every reason to roll over a significant amount of our Cap $$$ into 2019-2020 if we wish to build a SB contender. And THAT is the goal, So we will see. Soon, very soon..

12 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I agree that Ballard must find a way to bring back Melvin on a cap friendly deal.

I think this team has to go after Anthony Hitchens from Dallas to help with this LB core that needs completely revamped. He could be had for an affordable contract. 

Then after him, I'd say another must sign is OG Zach Fulton from KC. He has plenty of experience and wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to sign him like Norwell.

After Fulton, I really feel this team needs a player like Timmy Jernigan on the DL. Reich knows him from Philly, and Jernigan played in a 4-3 with Philly and I'm not sure Henry Anderson fits the 4-3 yet. Outside of Hankins, Woods, Ridgeway, Basham, and Sheard, I don't see a lot of fits for a 4-3 from current Colts D-lineman. 

My dream get would be WR Allen Robinson on a prove it deal. He fits what I believe Reich wants in a WR, and would give Luck 3 talented WRs in Hilton, Moncrief, and Robinson, with Chester Rogers taking the slot role. 

Eagles signed a couple of players to extensions during the season including Jernigan and Alshon Jeffrey. 

Would be awesome to get Norwell. I also love Landry as a compliment to T.Y.... Williamson would be my top FA LB target... adding him and Hitchenson could be a good way to round out the backers for the 4-3 (along with Simon)... 

Adding all of these guys plus re-signing Melvin, Desir, Mewhort, and maybe Moncrief could be a good start toward building a beast on both sides of the ball. Allowing us to focus on playmakers and depth in the draft (which Ballard will do regardless, i suppose).

22 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

Would be awesome to get Norwell. I also love Landry as a compliment to T.Y.... Williamson would be my top FA LB target... adding him and Hitchenson could be a good way to round out the backers for the 4-3 (along with Simon)... 

Adding all of these guys plus re-signing Melvin, Desir, Mewhort, and maybe Moncrief could be a good start toward building a beast on both sides of the ball. Allowing us to focus on playmakers and depth in the draft (which Ballard will do regardless, i suppose).

If you want Landry he will cost 14+/year

I'd rather have Robinson at 8 to 10

8 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I suppose I'd be inclined to agree... That's pricey, for sure. I like Landry a lot, but Robinson for 6 mil. less a season is a far better deal, if those were the options. 

It won't be 6 million less..Robinson will get 12 and Landry won't get 14..

51 minutes ago, krunk said:

Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb are top NFC cut candidates

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Jordy-Nelson-Randall-Cobb-are-top-cut-candidates-in-NFC-115154829

One or both of these guys seem like decent candidates.  Especially Randall if you're talking about picking up a solid slot receiver.

I like them both...

8 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

It won't be 6 million less..Robinson will get 12 and Landry won't get 14..

Robinson is not getting 12.  Landry might get 13 or 13.5 but he probably isn't even getting 14.

Look at last year for example.  Guys expect this and that and Jeffery gets a 1-year prove it for 10mil.  He was able to roll that into a 4 year/52 mil contract.  13mil a year basically and if Landry is hoping for something like that he will have a few teams to choose from.  Literally, only a few. 

Robinson coming off an injury that saw him miss the 2017 season is not going to come in and demand 12 million.  He might get a prove it deal worth 10 at best.  If he wants something longer then he might be looking closer to 8 or 9 mil over 3 years.  I see teams looking at prove it deals for him though.

Just now, krunk said:

If they don't retain Cobb I suspect he would be somebody we have good likelihood to pursue.  Just seems like a Ballard type of guy.

I think Chester Rogers will work well in slot..I do want to get a tall big bodied WR to replace Moncrief..

Just now, DaColts85 said:

Robinson is not getting 12.  Landry might get 13 or 13.5 but he probably isn't even getting 14.

Look at last year for example.  Guys expect this and that and Jeffery gets a 1-year prove it for 10mil.  He was able to roll that into a 4 year/52 mil contract.  13mil a year basically and if Landry is hoping for something like that he will have a few teams to choose from.  Literally, only a few. 

Robinson coming off an injury that saw him miss the 2017 season is not going to come in and demand 12 million.  He might get a prove it deal worth 10 at best.  If he wants something longer then he might be looking closer to 8 or 9 mil over 3 years.  I see teams looking at prove it deals for him though.

Just depends if there is a bidding war for him..He isn't worth 12 million, but I can see a lot of teams wanting him..