Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

every mock here has something in common

90% of the mocks I have seen here have the Colts going after Andrew Norwell!

As much as I would love this I honestly don't see it happening with Ballard draft first approach. 

I expect Ballard to be very simple and selective with Free Agent signings and hopefully he doesn't overpay for anyone.

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

As much as I would love this I honestly don't see it happening with Ballard draft first approach. 

I expect Ballard to be very simple and selective with Free Agent signings and hopefully he doesn't overpay for anyone.

I agree with your take on Ballard, but we have the CAP space and no bigger need.  I could see us paying over the market to get him.

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Unfortunately if you don’t overpay a little you are adding no one and often losing guys

I would like us to give the money to players in their prime not over the hill guys and/or unproven talent but that did work out with Mingo

Guaranteed, every NFL message board whose team has any weakness at guard, is going to have 90% of its posters mocking Norwell to them. 

I agree that it’s not likely we get him, but it won’t be because Ballard doesn’t pursue him. He’s going to make 12-14 million a year, and will practically be able to pick the team he wants to play for....and that’s assuming he ever gets a chance to leave Carolina. 

But we can all dream. 

13 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

We've got a ton of cap space to spend, a severe need at OL, and this year's free agency isn't very deep at OL.  

Ballard should pursue him very hard.  No guarantee that we would get him of course, he has options himself.  But I would strongly disagree with anyone who thinks going after him would be a bad idea.  

I don't mind overpaying a bit if it means keeping Luck upright.  

We will be in the mix because Ballard will at least see what the price is.  Also, one thing that can help sway him is if we have a larger guaranteed number.  look at a 5 year 60mil with 35 guaranteed. or even close to 40 guaranteed.  That allows the Agent to push a player to one spot because that is what contracts and becoming about.  Watch Cousins push for nearly 90 mil guaranteed.

I usually agree 100%, but we are very badly in need of a mainstay on the interior.  Mewhort is unsigned, his knee may be shot, and he’s reportedly contemplating retirement.  Kelly has missed an inordinate amount of time in ih first two years, and almost all of last year.  And Jeremy Vujnovich was probably our best interior lineman.  We need to overpay the heck out of Norwell if he hits the open market!  PS: I wonder if he and Mewhort are good friends... 

15 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I think it is one thing to target him...but those expecting us to sign him I think might be wishful. He is going to have a ton of suitors...some with more money then the Colts. Ballard showed last off season he was willing to spend money...but remember that big contract to Hankins came very late in free agency. Hankins had all these offers and rumors going back to NY and other teams but Ballard waited it out and then swooped in we he thought a deal was to be made that would make both parties happy. If he proves to be patient looking for opportunities with bigger names that don't sign right away it might mean Norwell will be gone. Or that he is reluctant to chase the big fish. Either way there is a very good chance Norwell is in another uniform next fall....and imo a Giant uniform. We may have to target some of those other lineman that have a few more warts then simply signing an all pro. I actually think Hutchins is a more important signing in helping transition this defense and learn the new system then Norwell. He is my #1 free agent target.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think it is one thing to target him...but those expecting us to sign him I think might be wishful. He is going to have a ton of suitors...some with more money then the Colts. Ballard showed last off season he was willing to spend money...but remember that big contract to Hankins came very late in free agency. Hankins had all these offers and rumors going back to NY and other teams but Ballard waited it out and then swooped in we he thought a deal was to be made that would make both parties happy. If he proves to be patient looking for opportunities with bigger names that don't sign right away it might mean Norwell will be gone. Or that he is reluctant to chase the big fish. Either way there is a very good chance Norwell is in another uniform next fall....and imo a Giant uniform. We may have to target some of those other lineman that have a few more warts then simply signing an all pro. I actually think Hutchins is a more important signing in helping transition this defense and learn the new system then Norwell. He is my #1 free agent target.

After the Garoppolo signing, the Colts sit with the second most CAP space in the league (behind the Browns).  We have around triple the CAP space of the Giants.  There are, realistically, about twenty teams that can afford to place a bid on Norwell; and most of them have higher priorities.  If Carolina lets him hit the open market, I would expect us to be one of the favorites to land him.

I agree that we need defensive players to help us transition to a new scheme (our 43 linebacker situation is pretty bleak right now), but we have the cap space to sign multiple good starters.

10 minutes ago, That Guy said:

After the Garoppolo signing, the Colts sit with the second most CAP space in the league (behind the Browns).  We have around triple the CAP space of the Giants.  There are, realistically, about twenty teams that can afford to place a bid on Norwell; and most of them have higher priorities.  If Carolina lets him hit the open market, I would expect us to be one of the favorites to land him.

I agree that we need defensive players to help us transition to a new scheme (our 43 linebacker situation is pretty bleak right now), but we have the cap space to sign multiple good starters.

I thought I saw somewhere that after cap roll over we were further down the list...I very well could be wrong. We certainly have PLENTY of money to spend if we want to get VERY aggressive. I just see other teams driving his services up north of where I think most people would feel comfortable paying for a guard. Thanks for the point though its good to know where we stand with the cap.

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

We will be in the mix because Ballard will at least see what the price is.  Also, one thing that can help sway him is if we have a larger guaranteed number.  look at a 5 year 60mil with 35 guaranteed. or even close to 40 guaranteed.  That allows the Agent to push a player to one spot because that is what contracts and becoming about.  Watch Cousins push for nearly 90 mil guaranteed.

I think the winner in the Norwell sweepstakes is the team that gives him the most guaranteed money.  That's what the agents are going to be pushing for,  especially with the top tier FA's.   That's the silver bullet and I hope Ballard uses it this year on Norwell and maybe again on another FA or two. That capability should separate us from a lot of our competition. 

6 hours ago, ColtV said:

Concur. While free agent lineman can be iffy, this is a 27 year old all pro who started 54 outof 55 games. If he isnt tagged, then he must be the #1 target, and if a dumptruck full of cash must be backed up in his driveway, so be it.

Im a bit confused on the OG stance. So its ok to overpay and take a major chunk of cap hit on a n OG, but its not ok to draft an OG that will start day one?

25 minutes ago, ND Irish said:

Im a bit confused on the OG stance. So its ok to overpay and take a major chunk of cap hit on a n OG, but its not ok to draft an OG that will start day one?

Well if youre asking me, I'm certainly on board with drafting Nelson, though not if Barkley is still on the board. But the available amount of cap space necessitates a free agent splash. For the Colts money, that has to be Norwell

1 minute ago, ColtV said:

Well if youre asking me, I'm certainly on board with drafting Nelson, though not if Barkley is still on the board. But the available amount of cap space necessitates a free agent splash. For the Colts money, that has to be Norwell

Ok fair enough. From what we have seen from CB and his approach to FA, which is a small sample size, do you think it would be a stretch that he would make a big splash type signing? Seems he went quantity over quality last season. Suppose i am not overly familiar with Norwell also. Is he what could be considered iffy signing? And for the record, i am all about trading back to get Nelson despite all who have made outstanding reasons to go otherwise.

32 minutes ago, ND Irish said:

Ok fair enough. From what we have seen from CB and his approach to FA, which is a small sample size, do you think it would be a stretch that he would make a big splash type signing? Seems he went quantity over quality last season. Suppose i am not overly familiar with Norwell also. Is he what could be considered iffy signing? And for the record, i am all about trading back to get Nelson despite all who have made outstanding reasons to go otherwise.

Saying CB is one to shy away from big splash signings is completely wrong. He tried to make a handful (Zeitler, Jeffery, and Poe just off the top of my head) but came up short. Seeing as he reportedly went after the top OL FA last offseason in Zeitler, I see no reason why he wouldnt take a shot at Norwell. I think its very likely we try to bring Norwell in, but I feel like we are a long shot to get him. Like a lot of free agents last offseason, he will probably pass us over for another team. 

44 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Saying CB is one to shy away from big splash signings is completely wrong. He tried to make a handful (Zeitler, Jeffery, and Poe just off the top of my head) but came up short. Seeing as he reportedly went after the top OL FA last offseason in Zeitler, I see no reason why he wouldnt take a shot at Norwell. I think its very likely we try to bring Norwell in, but I feel like we are a long shot to get him. Like a lot of free agents last offseason, he will probably pass us over for another team. 

Why did he come up short then? These top FA arent worried about what is best for the team, like his offers suggest and seem team friendly avoiding massive cap hits and long term commitments. 

5 minutes ago, ND Irish said:

Why did he come up short then? These top FA arent worried about what is best for the team, like his offers suggest and seem team friendly avoiding massive cap hits and long term commitments. 

There are a dozen reasons a player would choose another team over us, and only one of them is $$. We probably wouldnt be one of the final 2-3 teams in the running for most of those situations if it was about money. Poe wouldnt have even made the flight over if we weren't in the ballpark of what he wanted. 

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Norwell may think shorter term and choose a contender.

From my readings the Giants are considered his top landing place.
 A crappy team. A sate sales tax about 6% higher than ours. And a much higher cost of living
So the same offer wouldn't actually be.
 Norwell is from Cincinnati. I believe our owner would be glad to pay the man. I would suggest we ARE the favorite.

3 hours ago, ND Irish said:

It is incorrect to call paying a player the current going rate, over paying.

It is a very simple rule. When drafting in the top 5,
You take a guy that can put the QB on the ground or a guy that can get you in the end zone.
 I would love to add Norwell and Nelson.

On 2/13/2018 at 10:59 PM, danlhart87 said:

What exactly is the market for Norwell?

I have seen some mocks with him making 12 to 14 million a year!

Not sure, but the franchise tag $ for 2017 (2018 figures are not in yet) offensive linemen was $14.271 million dollars.  That will go up this year.  Agents will want more, teams will want to pay less.  But the highest bidder might be closer to what the agent wants for his player.

On 2/13/2018 at 10:52 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If our OL will be improved in 2018 it needs to be through FA. 

Rookie OL take time to adjust to the nfl. 

In most cases, O-linemen do take a year or so to come up to speed in the NFL. Kelly, however, was a recent exception, and he played like a veteran from the start. Nelson is probably going to be a lot like Kelly, but the rest of the Guard crop drops off from there. McGlinchey is probably the only Tackle that looks like a no-brainer plug-and-play, but Orlando Brown isn't too far behind. 

1 hour ago, HarryTheCat said:

In most cases, O-linemen do take a year or so to come up to speed in the NFL. Kelly, however, was a recent exception, and he played like a veteran from the start. Nelson is probably going to be a lot like Kelly, but the rest of the Guard crop drops off from there. McGlinchey is probably the only Tackle that looks like a no-brainer plug-and-play, but Orlando Brown isn't too far behind. 

I wouldn't mind drafting OL. But would like OL FA signings as well. 

On 2/13/2018 at 7:47 PM, danlhart87 said:

Doesn't matter what his mentality is we have many holes and tons of cash to spend we will get at least one big name player