Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone worried about inexperience?

Myles

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm NOT a Jeff Fisher fan...    but let's not forget,  he was one yard away from winning a Super Bowl.

Caldwell was part of TWO Super Bowl franchises...   and the second one, the Ravens, in part because of him as the OC.

And Del Rio was never great, but he was never terrible either.   I'm not aware he has a bad rep.

So if we all had woken up someday in January and Chris Ballard had announced THIS coaching staff,  I would've been just fine.    Really.    Seriously.

True

4 minutes ago, lance_m8 said:

Everyone starts without experience if people only got hired if they had experience many people would be out of jobs 

I think it was more that none of the 3 have experience at the position for which they were hired (rather than just 1 or 2 of the 3).

On the flip side, if you hire someone with experience at the position in this business, then it usually means they were fired because otherwise they would still be with the other team.

So is it better to get a known commodity that didn't make it with his previous team or an unknown commodity that will need to learn on the fly.   Both have risks.

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Fisher sucked everywhere he went.  i'd been IRATE if we'd hired him.

Like I said,  I'm not a Fisher fan....

That said....    Fisher was a HC for 22 seasons and had a just above 500 record...   in the NFL that does not suck.

He's an 8-8 coach.   That does not suck.

But he also had six seasons where he won 13, 13, 11, 12, 10 and 13 games.   Went to a Super Bowl and almost upset an hysterically great offensive team.

I don't know what water people here drink that if they don't like someone, all they can say is sucks, trash, garbage.

People here are afraid to use the word...  average.   I don't know why, but they are.  Chuck Pagano was average and his detractors couldn't say it.

Jeff Fisher is an average coach.  His record says so.   But MAYBE with Caldwell as the OC and Del Rio as the coordinators, it would've been a good STAFF.

As always....   your mileage may vary....

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Like I said,  I'm not a Fisher fan....

That said....    Fisher was a HC for 22 seasons and had a just above 500 record...   in the NFL that does not suck.

He's an 8-8 coach.   That does not suck.

But he also had six seasons where he won 13, 13, 11, 12, 10 and 13 games.   Went to a Super Bowl and almost upset an hysterically great offensive team.

I don't know what water people here drink that if they don't like someone, all they can say is sucks, trash, garbage.

People here are afraid to use the word...  average.   I don't know why, but they are.  Chuck Pagano was average and his detractors couldn't say it.

Jeff Fisher is an average coach.  His record says so.   But MAYBE with Caldwell as the OC and Del Rio as the coordinators, it would've been a good STAFF.

As always....   your mileage may vary....

Fisher hasn't had a winning season in a Decade... matter of fact, he's not even had an 8-8 season since 2009... If you look at his coaching record, out of 22 seasons, he had a whopping 6 winning seasons.  His W/L record is skewed by those 6 seasons. of his 172 wins, those 6 seasons alone account for 72 wins.  He sucks.  His record backs that up.  He's a below average coach.  Chuck pagano, as much as I can't stand him as a HC, is/was an average coach. 

I love the experience that Reich has.
All those years under a Great Coach and leader like Marv Levy. A couple years here with Tom Moore and inside Manning's head,
The last 2 years brainstorming with Doug Pederson.
 Frank is going to be GREAT.
 Now he picks a young OC that he thinks has a Great FB mind. So they can Brainstorm over their players trying to figure out how to get the best out of them.
Today, we are in a miserable place with our receiver core, o-line, linebackers. Work to do

What concerns me is how many good players we need, and the years of experience they will need learning the NFL game and playing together to be able to compete at SB level.
 Ballard and everyone involved have a huge multi-year mission to find and develop talent. lol

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Fisher hasn't had a winning season in a Decade... matter of fact, he's not even had an 8-8 season since 2009... If you look at his coaching record, out of 22 seasons, he had a whopping 6 winning seasons.  His W/L record is skewed by those 6 seasons. of his 172 wins, those 6 seasons alone account for 72 wins.  He sucks.  His record backs that up.  He's a below average coach.  Chuck pagano, as much as I can't stand him as a HC, is/was an average coach. 

They both suck 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm NOT a Jeff Fisher fan...    but let's not forget,  he was one yard away from winning a Super Bowl.

Caldwell was part of TWO Super Bowl franchises...   and the second one, the Ravens, in part because of him as the OC.

And Del Rio was never great, but he was never terrible either.   I'm not aware he has a bad rep.

So if we all had woken up someday in January and Chris Ballard had announced THIS coaching staff,  I would've been just fine.    Really.    Seriously.

Fisher was a great coach, he is not anymore.  The game has passed him by and the turnaround after he left the Rams made that very apparent.  That is the problem with retread coaches, especially ones that have left the game for a period of time.  It's constantly evolving and it's almost as much of a risk as a first time head coach because of that.  

Of that list, the only I would be happy with is Del Rio as a DC, since he is actually very good at that job.  

8 minutes ago, Corndog said:

Fisher was a great coach, he is not anymore.  The game has passed him by and the turnaround after he left the Rams made that very apparent.  That is the problem with retread coaches, especially ones that have left the game for a period of time.  It's constantly evolving and it's almost as much of a risk as a first time head coach because of that.  

Of that list, the only I would be happy with is Del Rio as a DC, since he is actually very good at that job.  

That is one reason why I like Reich's OC pick. He is smart enough to know we cannot just regurgitate old ideas without an infusion of new ones, especially on offense.

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yes, there is some concern.  A first time GM, a first time HC, a first time OC and a first time DC.  I'm like the OP, it doesn't keep me up at night and it doesn't mean I don't like the coaches/GM or support them.  But there will be some mistakes made and there is a possibility that the mistake(s) may be huge.

Providing these coaches don’t fall into the trap of being too easy on the responsibilities of their players, are capable of solid and creative game plans and are capable of adapting, I’ll be happy. If they continue to just state a mantra with no weight and allow the players excuses game after game, then I’ll be concerned. Player development and accountability is going to be a telling point to the new staff. Pagano seemed to let his vets have excuses and the rookies less room for any excuses. If it takes irritating a vet becuae he isn’t performing, these coaches need to be able to irritate as needed. 

9 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Im worried for the first season, as they may need some time to adjust to their new coaching jobs, and WILL make some critical mistakes, but in the long run, im very confident in their succes.

That's why I was slightly agitated that Irsay saddled Ballard with Pagano for last season - we could've been a year ahead on that curve, with Luck possibly coming back into a situation where the team already knows much of the new schemes.

2 minutes ago, Pelt said:

That's why I was slightly agitated that Irsay saddled Ballard with Pagano for last season - we could've been a year ahead on that curve, with Luck possibly coming back into a situation where the team already knows much of the new schemes.

Good point. On the flip side, their confidence wasn’t drained by that train wreck of a season. Injuries had much to do with that, but the point remains.

4 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

You know, eventually retreads blow-out and do so a lot sooner than new tires.  I like the idea of having a new set of tires to run this thing.  They are all super motivated to succeed.  The retread coaches know if they fail, that someone will hire them again and again.

Here's to our new set of tires!!  Ha, ha...makes me thing of Sgt. Hulka being the Big Toe in the movie Stripes.

photo-100378.jpg

lighten up, francis!

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well Pagano has been fired. What good does it do to still rag on him at this point?

The poster simply pointed out what many of us thought understand your point as well why beat a dead horse ' I say the truth shall set you free after 5 years of Coach Pagano I'm more than happy to move on the best part of the 2018  is a new HC with credentials & experiences that will make our Colts Great again :applause::colts:

9 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I'm not saying that @Myles is saying this but it is funny to me how when the coaching search was going on most people were against the idea of a retread coach. Now that we don't have a retread people are concerned about the lack of experience.  Again I'm not saying that I think that is how Myles feels but I know there are people in the Colts fan base who do. 

It's a very fickle, grass-is-greener-on-the-other-side kind of fanbase, no doubt about it.

The fact that you have been with NFL teams in some capacity is a good criteria. The irony is some coaches are best suited for their expertise in what they excel in DC, OC,  QB coach ect,,,  Not  all are suited for head coach. There have been many great coaches that are great at their expertise. But not so good at the Head coach  position. That is the leaning curve to figure out. If you look at the history of Head Coaches you will see some are destined  to only be behind the scenes and that's not a bad thing.They are the stability 

13 hours ago, jet1968 said:

I’m tired of experienced nfl coaches. They suck. I want inexperienced coaches like the eagles who aren’t afraid to be aggressive and play to win and not play to lose

You should know that their DC has been a DC for 10 years and was a HC at Detroit.

Reich had been an OC for a couple years.

Just saying that it isn't a valid comparison to the Colts staff now.