Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Retired Numbers.

Dark Superman

Personally, I think there should only be 2 retired numbers for the Colts and that's Unitas and Manning. With so many numbers being needed for and NFL team the standard for a jersey retirement in my opinion should be for all time greats. That is more than just being All-Pro or even Hall of Fame. We have the ring of honor. We can put the names of great players up there. 

20 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Lol.  He's a modest man. 13 years as the anchor of the Colts offensive line...six-time pro-bowler, twice an All-Pro...like I said -- he merits consideration.

Wow, I had no idea.  I thought he only played like 3 yrs in Indy and played the rest of his career in GB.

4 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Lol.  He's a modest man. 13 years as the anchor of the Colts offensive line...six-time pro-bowler, twice an All-Pro...like I said -- he merits consideration.

I don't know about retiring his number but his name needs to be right next to Manning's in the ring of honor.

It doesnt really bother me, but i'd prefer not retiring #s.

many times when i watch games, i catch the # first, wnd just for a moment, i see barry sanders, or edge, or some obscure player that i totally forgot about.

Seeing those #s on the field help me re-live those memories again.

On 2/12/2018 at 10:03 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All of the numbers retired have one thing in common, all of those players are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame except #22 Buddy Young. Peyton Manning obviously will be. I think making the Hall of Fame should be a requirement.

#18 Peyton

#19 Johnny Unitas

#22 Buddy Young

#24 Lenny Moore

#70 Art Donovan

#77 Jim Parker

#82 Raymond Berry

#89 Gino Marchetti

-Only one I question is #22 Buddy Young? He only played 3 seasons with the Colts from 1953-1955 and he isn't in the Hall of Fame either. Why wasn't John Mackey's #88 retired? He was a far better Colt than Buddy Young.  Mackey is arguably the Greatest TE ever to play. That makes no sense. Marvin who also wore #88 is in the Hall of Fame and is a Top 5 WR of all-time so I would have no problem with 88 being retired.

Mackey’s number was not retired for the same reason it took him so long to get into the Hall of Fame. He was the first President of the Players Association at a time of work strife between owners and players. He was largely instrumental in organizing the 1970 players strike. As a result of those efforts he was responsible for getting almost 12 million in benefits to players. While recognized as the leader of the free agency movement, John was not popular with owners. As lead plaintiff in the “Rozelle Rule” he was at the forefront of activism for players rights to be free agents. 

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:53 PM, King! said:

18,19,22,24,70,77,82,89 are all retired numbers for the Colts.

Question. There's a handful of players who could have their number retired by the Colts. Harrison, Wayne. Glenn, Saturday, Mathis, Freeney, etc.

Obviously since their departure Glenn (78) Saturday (63) Freeney (93) have been worn by other players.

Are the jersey numbers worn by Harrison, Wayne, and possibly Mathis off limits? or is it possible that by chance no one picked those numbers since those guys last played here?

I hate retired numbers and think it would be okay if more than one person retired a number. I was just wondering if those numbers are available or if you think Irsay is holding them hostage until he decided to retire them?

On Harrison Wayne etc. I think the team has a loose rule that they won't use those #'s for a certain period of time out of respect which I like....I don't like retiring a # altogether personally though.....you end up seeing players with a goofy # for their position sometimes because of retired numbers and I don't know why that bugs me, but it bugs me......I think if you hold the player in high esteem, set the # aside for a decade or so out of respect......then let it come back into the fold.......I am not a sacred # guy....

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Then you could say the colt's great tight end John Mackey who wore #88 . Two players for the price of one Number

You bet.  I forgot about one of the greatest tight ends in NFL history.  My gaffe.  IIRC, Mackey was named TE for NFL "50 Year Team"...along Johnny U, and a couple of others.