Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich's Staff

stitches

15 hours ago, Superman said:

I won't pretend to know who most assistant coaches and position coaches are, or how good they are at their jobs. But it seems like this staff has a lot of guys who are relatively new to their positions on our staff. QC coaches becoming position coaches, TE coaches becoming OL coaches, OL coaches becoming TE coaches, etc.

They didn't go out and hire a bunch of guys who have a ton of NFL or even collegiate experience coaching a group of players, and plug them in to coach that group of players. Some exceptions (like Mike Phair and Alan Williams), but for the most part, this staff is learning new job responsibilities in 2018. It's not a rock star staff like I was hoping it would be.

Maybe it turns out to be. I'm not ruling that possibility out. There's definitely potential, IMO.

Even the coordinators are first timers, across the board. But I'm fine with the coordinators: Reich is going to run the offense and it will be a collaboration; Eberflus was as close to a coordinator as you can get in Dallas, and seems primed and ready for the job; and Ventrone has really good experience on STs. 

Like you, I think there's a definite possibility that there will be some changes to the staff before long.

I have the same concerns as you. Let's face it, Reich was the last pig to the assistants trough due to the McDaniels fiasco. IMO, in some cases, he was left looking under rocks and having to promise promotions instead of lateral moves to entice assistants so late in the game.

Like you, I expect changes in the staff next year. Not the coordinators, but some of the others, to get better candidates for some of the roles.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still haven’t heard who the quarterbacks coach is unless I missed it in post. Would be awesome for them to drop Peyton in that role during combine weekend. Who needs Josh McDaniels anyway!

There's a lot of unknown heading into next season with all the changes we made to our Coaching Staff.

Either way, man it feels good to finally have some change in this place. I feel like Ballard and Reich brought new life into this organization. Luck seems to be on the right track and you can tell how excited he is to play for the Colts in 2018. Man, this kid survived five years with Grigson as our GM, so no one can ever say this kid isn't a team player. Even McAfee wanted out of Indianapolis because of Grigson. That's a shame!