Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you like to see the Colts sign Malcom Butler?

ReMeDy

I'm fairly sure this guy won't be with New England, as Belichick doesn't tolerate behavioral issues. If he's gone, I hope the Colts sign him. It would send a message to New England, and I'm sure in practice he has been shown looks in Josh McDaniels passing schemes. Maybe he could even give us some insider information on New England, who we will indeed be playing this season, and you know Butler will be fired up for that game.

This situation reminds me of when Miami discarded CB Vontae Davis and he and the Colts went on to do great things. I'm hoping Butler at age 27 (two years younger than Davis) can put up a similar CB performance.

Okay, actually, I just want to get a morale boost over Josh McDaniels. Let's see how McDaniels likes his passing plays intercepted.

“I don’t know any championship team who didn’t have a great locker room and grow together,” Ballard mentioned last week at the NFL Combine. “It’s hard to just throw people into the locker room and expect a winner. It just doesn’t work that way.”

A lot of his emphasis on the locker room has been in association with free agency: you have to be careful who you bring in because they need to be fits within the locker room, and you can’t buy a locker room. Through it all, though, we’ve realized that Chris Ballard highly emphasises the locker room aspect of the team and thinks that is essential to building a winning team.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/3/7/14844268/chris-ballards-locker-room-emphasis-signing-free-agents-will-be-very-important-for-this-colts-team

Not sure if he's what Ballard is looking for. Colts goal should be to build the best possible Colts team. If Butler fits that, go after him, if not, don't do it. Trying to stick it to New England or sending a message to them, shouldn't be on Ballards priority list. Winning championship(s) does that very thing better than anything, anyway.

36 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Yeah.  Let's sign a guy who was basically benched by his head coach...FOR THE SUPER BOWL.

:^)

There are conflicting stories as to why he was benched for the SB, so who knows the real story.

If he is available, and the price is right, I think he could be a good addition.   I would also hope, given the humiliation and embarrassment  of having to sit out for the biggest game of the year, that IF it was something he did,  he'd not do it again.  :dunno:  :thinking: 

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:34 AM, ReMeDy said:

I'm fairly sure this guy won't be with New England, as Belichick doesn't tolerate behavioral issues. If he's gone, I hope the Colts sign him. It would send a message to New England, and I'm sure in practice he has been shown looks in Josh McDaniels passing schemes. Maybe he could even give us some insider information on New England, who we will indeed be playing this season, and you know Butler will be fired up for that game.

This situation reminds me of when Miami discarded CB Vontae Davis and he and the Colts went on to do great things. I'm hoping Butler at age 27 (two years younger than Davis) can put up a similar CB performance.

Okay, actually, I just want to get a morale boost over Josh McDaniels. Let's see how McDaniels likes his passing plays intercepted.

Butler is very inconsistent.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:34 AM, ReMeDy said:

You don't think Brissett has better knowledge of the Pats offense (& how it works) than Malcolm Butler?

To me, a big part of your justification for bringing in MB is already covered by Brisstett's presence.

One team that spends a lot of resources trying to one-up the Patriots is the New York Jets.  They did it with Darelle Revis, Bill Parcells and they tried to do it with Bill Belichick.

Have a look at their W-L history in the modern era and tell me if having priorities other than putting the best possible team on the field is a good idea.

If you want to spite the Patriots, build a better team than theirs.  That's the only language they speak at the end of the day.

1 hour ago, Reality Check said:

You don't think Brissett has better knowledge of the Pats offense (& how it works) than Malcolm Butler?

To me, a big part of your justification for bringing in MB is already covered by Brisstett's presence.

You know who you bring in if you want inside knowledge of the Patriots?

You bring in Danny Amendola or Dion Lewis.  Those are quality FAs that the Patriots actually care about losing.

6 minutes ago, George Peterson said:

You know who you bring in if you want inside knowledge of the Patriots?

You bring in Danny Amendola or Dion Lewis.  Those are quality FAs that the Patriots actually care about losing.

Yep...I'm still intrigued by Lewis....not much on Danny anymore since Josh backed out. Belichick really put the screws to ol Butler...tagged him...didn't trade him to NO where he would have got a big contract then benched him in the SB cratering any chance he would have at a long term deal.  Butler will likely have to sign a 1 or 2 year deal with little to no guarantees in the second year. Lots of question marks now. He has been a solid, aggressive corner in the past...had a bit of down year but considering he was vastly underpaid it isn't hard to see why he might have been upset over his contract. If he wants a one year deal to reset his market value then sure...I'm up for it. Low risk high reward.

12 hours ago, George Peterson said:

One team that spends a lot of resources trying to one-up the Patriots is the New York Jets.  They did it with Darelle Revis, Bill Parcells and they tried to do it with Bill Belichick.

Have a look at their W-L history in the modern era and tell me if having priorities other than putting the best possible team on the field is a good idea.

If you want to spite the Patriots, build a better team than theirs.  That's the only language they speak at the end of the day.

It's hard to one up anyone with the qb's the jets keep trotting on the field.

19 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yep...I'm still intrigued by Lewis....not much on Danny anymore since Josh backed out. Belichick really put the screws to ol Butler...tagged him...didn't trade him to NO where he would have got a big contract then benched him in the SB cratering any chance he would have at a long term deal.  Butler will likely have to sign a 1 or 2 year deal with little to no guarantees in the second year. Lots of question marks now. He has been a solid, aggressive corner in the past...had a bit of down year but considering he was vastly underpaid it isn't hard to see why he might have been upset over his contract. If he wants a one year deal to reset his market value then sure...I'm up for it. Low risk high reward.

Yep, however, if you are a team other than the Patriots, it would take at least a 3 year deal to get Butler here. Otherwise, he would go to one of the playoff teams for a 1 or 2 year deal, IMO.

Idk why he’s even considered a “good” player besides that super bowl play he’s been garbage...he’s fiesty and contends but he’s repeatedly Beat whether he’s in good position or not and he bites hard on double moves love his effort can’t lie about that but he does not cover as well as some assume