Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jimmy Garoppolo is Highest paid player in NFL

Mel Kiper's Hair

I do like Jimmy G. a lot. Like the NFL Network reporter said "He can make every throw" & raises the level of play of his teammates around him.

When I still had NFL Season Ticket, I watched a couple of late afternoon 49ers games. That kid is legit & wicked smart. If he can stay healthy, he will win a ring as the starting QB no question. 

It's a really good fit with Kyle Shanahan, QB Jimmy G, & GM John Lynch. That team is gonna do some serious playoff damage in the NCF over the nest few yrs. Happy for Jimmy! He's a good kid. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

Matt Burke: Jimmy Garoppolo vs. Tom Brady - will it be 'a thing?'

Is Tom Brady jealous of Jimmy Garoppolo?

It’s a fair question. After all, Jimmy G is – without question – the best looking quarterback in football. And after all, in his first career NFL start Jimmy G won a road game against a playoff-level NFC team. Brady hasn’t beaten an NFC playoff team on the road since 2010.

Ok,  now who said Brady was jealous of Jeff Garcia?

We're going to very soon see a $30M contract and it will be insane. When does this cap out? In another 20 years are we going to be signing $40M contracts? Will the NFL even be around then? Surely this can't keep going up and up forever. Not saying Jimmy doesn't deserve that contract because I'm sure he's going to be a decent QB. But gees, got paid for minimal play time. He's doing good...

Correct me if I'm wrong here but yesterday the guarantee was 74 million and this morning on Golic & Wingo the amount is 90 million per the on screen ticker tape banner. Garappalo is 5-0  with SF and he is the highest paid layer in the history of the NFL? 5-0??!!

8 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here but yesterday the guarantee was 74 million and this morning on Golic & Wingo the amount is 90 million per the on screen ticker tape banner. Garappalo is 5-0  with SF and he is the highest paid layer in the history of the NFL? 5-0??!!

I'd say the trade worked out nicely for him.    

On 2/8/2018 at 10:57 AM, Valpo2004 said:

Guy at work and I where talking bout this.  49er's really overpaid.  

They didn't have a choice....    the player had ALL the leverage.    If he's the guy you believe in, then you don't worry as much about the final number.     You just sign the guy you like and don't look back.

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

They didn't have a choice....    the player had ALL the leverage.    If he's the guy you believe in, then you don't worry as much about the final number.     You just sign the guy you like and don't look back.

The contract is crazy high for what he's accomplished but somebody would have paid him something almost equally outrageous. SF allowed 37mill to the 2018 season. The rest of the contract has him at about 25 mill per year. They had so much cap room , it really was a no brainer just to get it done. Even with the 37 mill , they are second to Cleveland in available cap space.

He deserves it for being the best looking man in the NFL.

I can't believe the Pats let something that looks like this go and who is also a good QB. He can do the same stuff Brady does but he is like 30 years younger than Tom Brady.

usp_nfl__preseason-green_bay_packers_at_

^^You just DON'T let something like that go..........like ever. 

On 2/8/2018 at 7:24 PM, King Colt said:

Matt Burke: Jimmy Garoppolo vs. Tom Brady - will it be 'a thing?'

Is Tom Brady jealous of Jimmy Garoppolo?

It’s a fair question. After all, Jimmy G is – without question – the best looking quarterback in football. And after all, in his first career NFL start Jimmy G won a road game against a playoff-level NFC team. Brady hasn’t beaten an NFC playoff team on the road since 2010.

At least you get it. Jimmy wins like every game he starts in now looking poised/polished and in control and of course Brady noticed how handsome young Jimmy is.

You think men don't notice this crap? They are the most immature people at times on the planet. Of course they notice!!!!!

I want a Packers/49ers game. Aaron and Jimmy!!!!! My dream NFCCG. The winner would beat the Pats of course.

40 minutes ago, Jules said:

He deserves it for being the best looking man in the NFL.

I can't believe the Pats let something that looks like this go and who is also a good QB. He can do the same stuff Brady does but he is like 30 years younger than Tom Brady.

usp_nfl__preseason-green_bay_packers_at_

^^You just DON'T let something like that go..........like ever. 

It's nice to know you're about to walk down the aisle with the groom of your dreams & still appreciate additional scenery Jules. haha Only teasing! 

8 hours ago, Jules said:

At least you get it. Jimmy wins like every game he starts in now looking poised/polished and in control and of course Brady noticed how handsome young Jimmy is.

You think men don't notice this crap? They are the most immature people at times on the planet. Of course they notice!!!!!

C'mon now Jules.... just because Brady still wears the Redwood Forest on his shoulder over being rejected until the 6th round of the draft... and just fumbled away a SB comeback, you think King Saul of Foxboro is so immature and entitled as to feeling his god status is threatened by Garoppolo?

So do I.

11 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Sure Jimmy G is a nice looking man, but come on, can he really compete with Mel Kiper in a V-neck sweater? Didn't think so!

5_questions-300x300.jpg?quality=90&strip

Sexy indeed. An aged fox with a sly grin that shows he knows what he is doing.

On 2/9/2018 at 9:13 AM, King Colt said:

On a team that before he got there was 1-10.  He's young, a lot more experienced than "7 games played" would indicate, and he's spent 3 years apprenticing for the best in the business.  His intangibles are through the roof.  He also has a skill that makes him uniquely tough to defend, I don't ever think I've seen a quarterback with a faster release time on short to medium throws, making the job of defense planners trying to deal with the guy that much harder.  That makes it much less likely that he's a one year wonder compared to most young quarterbacks.

I know people are looking at Garoppolo and seeing Cassel, Hoyer and Mallett, but I think there's a huge difference.  The Patriots were actually seriously considering going to Jimmy G themselves.  He was their Brady contingency plan in a way Hoyer, Cassel, Mallet were just not.

The reason they didn't go to Jimmy themselves is that Brady made it impossible by remaining at an MVP  level until Jimmy G was ready to start demanding some serious money. 

No matter how old Brady is, if he's still putting you in the thick of the Superbowl hunt, and there's nothing physically wrong with him other than the ordinary wear and tear of a regular football season, it's impossible to flip that switch away from that guy.  You guys ought to know what I'm talking about, the Colts waited for Peyton Manning to be injured before pulling the plug, but for the neck injury he might still be in Indy.  Brady hasn't given the Patriots the same reason/excuse.  That's the only reason Jimmy G is not still in New England IMHO

Point being, no one in New England was exactly expecting Cassel, Hoyer or Mallett to succeed Brady unless something pretty catastrophic happened.  Those guys were injury replacements.  Jimmy G was the apprentice, similar to Favre and Aaron Rodgers up in Green Bay.  His chances of inheriting Brady's job were high enough that Brady had to take steps to prevent it.  I think that says something all on its own, right there.

On 2/8/2018 at 4:01 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I guess Andrew's contract looks like peanuts now. Remember how people were saying he was being overpaid :lol:

Luck is getting paid a ton of money for not even being able to play. If that's not the definition of overpaid then what is? 

I certainly hope Luck is able to play again soon, but my mind has many doubts.

6 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Luck is getting paid a ton of money for not even being able to play. If that's not the definition of overpaid then what is? 

I certainly hope Luck is able to play again soon, but my mind has many doubts.

Luck has had 2 Good years = 2012/2013 and 1 Great year = 2014. I was just pointing out Luck earned his contract. Jimmy G has had 7 Good games. Luck was actually Good in 2016 as well.

I like Garoppolo and always have, but...

There is less film on him than there was on RG3 when the later was the "omg look at this kid he's the future of the league!" popular. 

I don't think Garoppolo will hit a brick wall next year but I also don't think the 49ers are going to go 16-0. It's still a small sample size, no matter how you look at it. 

1 hour ago, GoPats said:

There is less film on him than there was on RG3 when the later was the "omg look at this kid he's the future of the league!" popular. 

I don't think Garoppolo will hit a brick wall next year but I also don't think the 49ers are going to go 16-0. It's still a small sample size, no matter how you look at it. 

BB was gonna go with Jimmy G buddy starting this upcoming season had Kraft not put his foot down & said trade him pronto. That's the only thing that really mattered. Okay sure, part of it was wanting to win without Brady just to prove Bill's greatness. You know, that he can win a ring without TB12.

I agree that there is some inflated hype around Jimmy GP, but the kid does make good decisions late in games; a trait he clearly has & inevitably learned from Brady.  

2 hours ago, GoPats said:

Both of them actually played in an offense designed by the same guy: Kyle Shanahan.

For RG3, Kyle couldn't run his regular scheme. He scrapped it completely and basically inserted RG3s Baylor offense. Lot of zone reads, half-field reads etc. RG3 made the most spectacular plays with his legs, Not with his feet or mind. He wasn't good enough at reading the defense, go through his reads, throwing the football accurately nor did have good enough pocket presence to run an actual NFL offense, let alone, something like Shanahan runs.

Garoppolo did most of his damage from the pocket. He was poised, accurate, moved well in the pocket, didn't make a lot of bad decisions and played like one of the best QBs in the league after he got the starting job. His #1 receiver was Marquise Goodwin. Even for Matt Ryan it took about an year to get comfortable in Shanahans scheme. For Jimmy it took few weeks.

9ers won't go 16-0, it's still a small sample size but I see basically no way that Garoppolo isn't going to be successful. There is no adjusting for defense (like there was for Kaep and RG3) when the guy is a an accurate pocket passer and makes smart decisions. He was anything but carried by a supporting cast, as he had crappy weapons and the team was like 1-10 when he took over.

On 2/20/2018 at 4:03 PM, southwest1 said:

BB was gonna go with Jimmy G buddy starting this upcoming season had Kraft not put his foot down & said trade him pronto. That's the only thing that really mattered. Okay sure, part of it was wanting to win without Brady just to prove Bill's greatness. You know, that he can win a ring without TB12.

I agree that there is some inflated hype around Jimmy GP, but the kid does make good decisions late in games; a trait he clearly has & inevitably learned from Brady.  

You actually believed that Wickersham article? lol

Jimmy is going to go his whole career undefeated. Seriously!

2 hours ago, Flying Elvis said:

You actually believed that Wickersham article? lol

Jimmy is going to go his whole career undefeated. Seriously!

When exactly did I ever claim that Jimmy was going to never lose a game? Enlighten me FE because I never said that. 

You don't honestly think that Brady is the best QB moving forward do ya? What would rather have? Another decade of playoff success as a team or 2 more yrs with Brady? It's a pretty simple decision as a GM.

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

When exactly did I ever claim that Jimmy was going to never lose a game? Enlighten me FE because I never said that. 

You don't honestly think that Brady is the best QB moving forward do ya? What would rather have? Another decade of playoff success as a team or 2 more yrs with Brady? It's a pretty simple decision as a GM.

You didn't claim that I did. haha

For the next few years yes, Brady is the best QB moving forward. Jimmy could not do what Brady did in the last 2 super bowls. After that we'll see. How hard is it to find another franchise QB? lol

Jimmy wanted to play. His contract was up, he wasn't going to stay and Brady isn't leaving. Brady is defying the odds and all logic by performing at a high level despite his age. Belichick knows this so I really doubt he wanted to keep Jimmy over Brady.

Then again, what do I know? :scratch:

3 minutes ago, Flying Elvis said:

For the next few years yes, Brady is the best QB moving forward. Jimmy could not do what Brady did in the last 2 super bowls. After that we'll see. How hard is it to find another franchise QB? lol

Jimmy wanted to play. His contract was up, he wasn't going to stay and Brady isn't leaving. Brady is defying the odds and all logic by performing at a high level despite his age. Belichick knows this so I really doubt he wanted to keep Jimmy over Brady.

"How hard is it to find another franchise QB?" You will find out when Brady retires how hard it is lmao . As Great as Luck was in his first 3 seasons he still wasn't Peyton and now he's been injured a lot.

45 minutes ago, Flying Elvis said:

It's all good man. I wasn't upset with you or anything like that FE. It's not really a short term question by a decade long window one. Brady's not playing NFL football until he's 45 sorry to say that, but it's true. You know going in that making a change at QB is a controversial one especially after Brady was crucial in securing 5 SB rings. However, BB should have went with Jimmy & let Brady go knowing full well that Jimmy might have some growing pains as the new starter. 

I know; I know. Brady is still around so it's a moot point now. What's done is done. 40 something quarterbacks are not in most franchises big picture plans moving forward. We all know that. Can you imagine the clout & prestige BB would have if he won a SB in Boston without TB12? Jesus, it would be bigger than LeBron James winning a Championship in Cleveland man. 

Any news on the next Tom vs Time episode or did they just can the last couple of episodes completely? They probably should just let it go entirely now. 

17 hours ago, southwest1 said:

It's all good man. I wasn't upset with you or anything like that FE. It's not really a short term question by a decade long window one. Brady's not playing NFL football until he's 45 sorry to say that, but it's true. You know going in that making a change at QB is a controversial one especially after Brady was crucial in securing 5 SB rings. However, BB should have went with Jimmy & let Brady go knowing full well that Jimmy might have some growing pains as the new starter. 

I know; I know. Brady is still around so it's a moot point now. What's done is done. 40 something quarterbacks are not in most franchises big picture plans moving forward. We all know that. Can you imagine the clout & prestige BB would have if he won a SB in Boston without TB12? Jesus, it would be bigger than LeBron James winning a Championship in Cleveland man. 

Any news on the next Tom vs Time episode or did they just can the last couple of episodes completely? They probably should just let it go entirely now. 

Tom has defeated time! haha Last I heard the next episode was delayed after the super bowl loss but its coming soon.

There are a few fans in Patriotland who were furious at Belichick when Jimmy was traded but most of us want Brady to retire a Patriot. After he wins a few more super bowls of course. :rock:

On 2/20/2018 at 4:03 PM, southwest1 said:

Yeah I didn’t really mean to bash Jimmy G there, he’s been fantastic and it looks like he’s got a very bright future. 

Regarding the bolded part though, I wouldn’t necessarily believe everything you’ve read about BB’s intentions with his QBs. Belichick is insanely private and secretive and the notion that anyone butbhim knew what he had planned for 2018 is hard to swallow. 

On 2/20/2018 at 4:06 PM, Finball said:

Both of them actually played in an offense designed by the same guy: Kyle Shanahan.

For RG3, Kyle couldn't run his regular scheme. He scrapped it completely and basically inserted RG3s Baylor offense. Lot of zone reads, half-field reads etc. RG3 made the most spectacular plays with his legs, Not with his feet or mind. He wasn't good enough at reading the defense, go through his reads, throwing the football accurately nor did have good enough pocket presence to run an actual NFL offense, let alone, something like Shanahan runs.

Garoppolo did most of his damage from the pocket. He was poised, accurate, moved well in the pocket, didn't make a lot of bad decisions and played like one of the best QBs in the league after he got the starting job. His #1 receiver was Marquise Goodwin. Even for Matt Ryan it took about an year to get comfortable in Shanahans scheme. For Jimmy it took few weeks.

9ers won't go 16-0, it's still a small sample size but I see basically no way that Garoppolo isn't going to be successful. There is no adjusting for defense (like there was for Kaep and RG3) when the guy is a an accurate pocket passer and makes smart decisions. He was anything but carried by a supporting cast, as he had crappy weapons and the team was like 1-10 when he took over.

This is all true and I think my earlier post came off wrong... I didn’t intend to make it sound like I thought JG would be a bust or anything. He looks like the real deal for sure. 

Durability may be a concern but time will tell. 

On February 23, 2018 at 5:08 PM, Flying Elvis said:

Tom has defeated time! haha Last I heard the next episode was delayed after the super bowl loss but its coming soon.

There are a few fans in Patriotland who were furious at Belichick when Jimmy was traded but most of us want Brady to retire a Patriot. After he wins a few more super bowls of course. :rock:

If I was in your shoes as a Pats fan, I'd say the same darn thing. Tom is capable of winning another SB before he retires easy. I'm wrong a lot & if Brady wins say 2 more rings I promise you I'll give Brady his props. I love the guy's insatiable drive to win rings. I like Brady despite the fact I roasted him over deflate gate. He's not evil & neither is Bill. I still like poking fun at the Emperor Palpatine joke though. You know, he sold his soul to keep winning rings. I'm just goofing around. 

Yeah, I get both sides of that argument--Keep Brady or move on with a new era. I still think the Jimmy G era should have started this season, but maybe Bill wants to walk away in say 3 yrs too. I get that. 

I still respect Josh McDaniels offensive genius & no, I won't lord it over him what he did to INDY forever. That's not how I roll. I've done foolish stuff myself. I can forgive, but I never ever forget. 

You're alright FE.