Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hypothetically, which QB do we take in the upcoming draft?

GuitarMD

Way too many holes the Colts need to fill to waste even their last pick on a QB. Use the year Brissett has under his belt and grab a vet for the backup job. Chances are slim they will go far anyway this year without Luck. Accept their fate and do the best with what they have. What will be very hard is if Luck is in need of another surgery and all the guesswork on whether he is done for good and/or when will he get healthy this year or next. It leaves the team in disarray and the fans eating anti-depressants. The upside is a good general manger manages in bad weather as well as in good weather.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Way too many holes the Colts need to fill to waste even their last pick on a QB. Use the year Brissett has under his belt and grab a vet for the backup job. Chances are slim they will go far anyway this year without Luck. Accept their fate and do the best with what they have. What will be very hard is if Luck is in need of another surgery and all the guesswork on whether he is done for good and/or when will he get healthy this year or next. It leaves the team in disarray and the fans eating anti-depressants. The upside is a good general manger manages in bad weather as well as in good weather.

Very true man, these guys were in a lot of games till the 4th quarter with Brissett, and filling some of those holes could have us picking more towards the middle of the first round next year. Just dont think we win the best division in football imo. Only time will tell what Ballard is made of. Unfortunately our biggest question mark besides coaching staff is our quarterback.

On 2/7/2018 at 5:13 AM, lollygagger8 said:

Hypothetically:

I hope Tom House didn't see something bad about Luck's shoulder/throwing motion and alert the pats(since he's close to them and brady) and that was the determining factor in mcjerkles not coming to Indy. 

There are all sorts of privacy laws House would be in violation of.

He'd have nothing to gain and EVERYTHING to lose...   like the rest of his career.

Zero upside and HUGE downside for doing so.

Chances if this happening ---  less than zero. 

1 hour ago, ND Irish said:

Please do more homework/research beyond what McShay and others at espn say. Darnold wasnt and isnt as good as Leinert and Butt fumble were at USC. Rosen imo will be bust worthy. Allen is not Wentz as far as i can tell, but maybe with right coaching. Mayfield, well, toss up between Brees/Manziel as far as potential. My choice is Rudolph from OK St. Just my opinion of course.

I really dont know what McShay or others say about Darnold as i rarely watch espn. I go by some games I see and youtube mostly. Darnold, imo, could have used another year in college But I think he has a high ceiling and will be a playmaker in a year or 2. 

I have seen Rosen play less but looks more pro ready than Darnold and seems to have command at LOS. 

I haven't seen Allen or Rudolph yet. Not crazy about Mayfield's size or arm but he is a accurate passer and think he can be a nfl starter.

6 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I really dont know what McShay or others say about Darnold as i rarely watch espn. I go by some games I see and youtube mostly. Darnold, imo, could have used another year in college But I think he has a high ceiling and will be a playmaker in a year or 2. 

I have seen Rosen play less but looks more pro ready than Darnold and seems to have command at LOS. 

I haven't seen Allen or Rudolph yet. Not crazy about Mayfield's size or arm but he is a accurate passer and think he can be a nfl starter.

It was no stab man, i have to admit i am totally biased towards USC as i should have been with Mc Dingleberry and the you know whos. Its just the Pac12 just is not that great and have a hard time trusting some of their top talent and espns evaluations of them. Thats if we can get them off of SEC jock strap.

Just now, ND Irish said:

It was no stab man, i have to admit i am totally biased towards USC as i should have been with Mc Dingleberry and the you know whos. Its just the Pac12 just is not that great and have a hard time trusting some of their top talent and espns evaluations of them. Thats if we can get them off of SEC jock strap.

Oh,I agree about the pac 12. Thats one reason im not usually so high on Stanford players as others are.

But I think Darnold has the size, arm, accuracy, enough mobility and the capability of developing his game mentally in the nfl. 

If Luck is healthy and we don't draft a QB, I sure hope elway doesn't get him. I hate him lol.

On 2/9/2018 at 4:54 PM, ND Irish said:

I have watched plenty of Darnold and he is not what we want. Not saying complete trash but very overrated. History is also against him coming from USC. My choice for a later round qb would be Rudolph from OK St. 

I don't know, that kid from Richmond is pretty good also.

Hypothetically speaking if Luck can't play due to injury so be it. I just hope he gets healthy. Without your health you have a bleak future. We as fans are greedy. I just wish him well. The colts are not going to show there hand before draft day. Thats when you'll know how Andrews shoulder is.

On 2/9/2018 at 6:17 PM, ND Irish said:

"The Pac-12 is just not that great...."

So says the Notre Dame fan.....  :peek:

41 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

Hypothetically speaking if Luck can't play due to injury so be it. I just hope he gets healthy. Without your health you have a bleak future. We as fans are greedy. I just wish him well. The colts are not going to show there hand before draft day. Thats when you'll know how Andrews shoulder is.

I just want to know when the meltdown on this board starts. Two things are obvious. Luck won`t be playing week one and perhaps miss another season. Secondly, being the Colts could've drafted a franchise QB as insurance, but passed and now realize Brissett is no more than a backup signal caller.   

On 2/6/2018 at 11:02 PM, P'Son said:

Nothing hypothetical about it.  Remember what I said back in September...  Everyone thought I was bonkers.  Stay tuned.  I'll refresh for the uninformed:

Mister P

•  

Posted September 23

Ok.  I'll clarify my thinking:

Luck has had a lacerated kidney, broken ribs, ruptured labrum, concussion, multiple beatings.  I believe he went to Irsay and told him he planned to retire.  I feel that Luck, Irsay, Ballard and Pagano are the only four who know the real story and they aren't talking. I think Irsay asked to him to stay on for the good of the team and community (gate receipts, concession jobs, downtown game day businesses, etc.).  Irsay's happy to pay him this year's salary while Luck thinks things through.  I believe Irsay stated earlier that Luck's shoulder is fine and that the trouble was with the four inches between his eyes (thus, retirement thoughts).  Andrew won't address the media because he is to upright and doesn't want to lie to the fan base regarding working out to get healthy, back to quarterbacking.   No person/team would leave their fan base uneasy with questions when the right thing to do would be to let Luck speak.  He doesn't want to; doesn't want to give the impression he plans on playing.  I thought Pagano was lying when he said he hadn't seen Luck throw a football.  I now believe he wasn't lying and he really hasn't seen him throw because he doesn't care to see him throw a football because he doesn't believe he'll be his quarterback going forward. Luck had simple arthroscopy surgery same as Brees.  He's young, he's healed. I think he's simply decided he's moving on in life.  I think in a few more weeks, Luck will go on season-ending PUP (IR).  After the season we'll probably be reading rumors of Lucks intention to retire.  After the Super Bowl, probably early March, the Colts will announce Luck's decision to retire due to health reasons.  Luck will probably marry his fiancee, move to her part of the country on the east coast, and look for a job with an architectural firm.  He probably has over $25M in investments from his rookie, 2016 contract ($22M), and this year's salary/upfront monies. He has plenty of money.  Time for other things in life.

Supposing what I've written is somewhat accurate, all hope may not be lost.  Luck could always change his mind.

As Mr.Monk would say: "I could be wrong now, but I don't think so."

Your mother will be proud.

sounds like you are happier that you may be right , not that Andrew might be healthy.  Have you spent even a second contemplating what the NFL would do to us if your pile-dream was true?  Draft picks, $, etc.  the gains from lying about Luck are minimal, the potential losses are great.  Sorry, this conspiracy theory doesnt pass the smell test.

it just doesnt.  we're not the lying,cheating Patriots.

On 2/9/2018 at 7:42 PM, NewColtsFan said:

There are all sorts of privacy laws House would be in violation of.

He'd have nothing to gain and EVERYTHING to lose...   like the rest of his career.

Zero upside and HUGE downside for doing so.

Chances if this happening ---  less than zero. 

To be fair Mcdaniels was at the exact same crossroad and the exact same words were said about him and well...

Just saying when it comes to anyone who has ties to the Patriots I'm not exactly sold on their morality nor action in the virtues of reason. 

6 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

To be fair Mcdaniels was at the exact same crossroad and the exact same words were said about him and well...

Just saying when it comes to anyone who has ties to the Patriots I'm not exactly sold on their morality nor action in the virtues of reason. 

If I follow your meaning....   you're comparing Tom Hoyse violating HIPPA laws which is illegal with McDaniels changing his mind and going back on his word which is not illegal?

Is that your meaning?    Or, am I misunderstanding you?

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I follow your meaning....   you're comparing Tom Hoyse violating HIPPA laws which is illegal with McDaniels changing his mind and going back on his word which is not illegal?

Is that your meaning?    Or, am I misunderstanding you?

Don't jump to conclusions I think this original topic is as ridiculous as all the others but id be very hesitant to say dialogues of "chance of that happening is less than zero" when our franchise experienced a supposed "no way in heck that happens" event recently.  

My point is when you come out so adamant like you did, it is abrasive. And tbh being adamant that something that unlikely can never happen is a tad naive given recent circumstance.  Tone it down a little and not try and come across as belittling because people here have a reason to think literally anything can happen. 

17 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Don't jump to conclusions I think this original topic is as ridiculous as all the others but id be very hesitant to say dialogues of "chance of that happening is less than zero" when our franchise experienced a supposed "no way in heck that happens" event recently.  

My point is when you come out so adamant like you did, it is abrasive. And tbh being adamant that something that unlikely can never happen is a tad naive given recent circumstance.  Tone it down a little and not try and come across as belittling because people here have a reason to think literally anything can happen. 

Look...  first...   you're the one reading tone into my post.   I made it as neutral as possible.   I made no derogatory comment about the poster I was responding to.

But the post I responded to was not thought out and was simply an opinion tossed out lightly.   I explained the flaws in the reasoning...   you read too much into it.

And you now apparently read too much into my post to you.   Again...  I was polite and respectful.   I even put my words in the form of a question to make sure there was no misunderstanding.   And even that rubbed you the wrong way.   You left yourself wide open comparing a law with an ethical lapse.    Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.  And You urged ME not to jump to conclusions?   

There simply isn't anything that is going to satisfy you.   If my words bother you this much, I strongly urge you to put me on ignore. 

If you and I don't communicate I'm sure we'll do just fine...

37 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

One other point....

I'm wrong plenty...    a few weeks back I made numerous posts assuring people that McDaniels was NOT going to back out.   People got nervous and stressed and I tried to calm things down by trying to reassure them that McDaniels would not go back on his word and hang our franchise out to dry, including the assistants he hired. 

I was wrong.   Big time.

And I was wrong plenty on the concept that the NFL would drop a big hammer on the Pats for enticing a coach to go back on his word.   I probably made more than a dozen posts saying the Colts were entitled to compensation.   Wrong on all counts.

The posts I make are my opinion.   I'm wrong often enough that people can read them with a grain of salt.    Or more.   That's the way Internet message boards work.   We all post our opinions. That's what I did that you objected to -- twice.

On 2/9/2018 at 8:47 PM, Carlos Danger said:

I'll bite...

For me, its Rosen or nobody.. I don't see another franchise QB in the draft... Other than possible developmental guys for a few years in the future. 

Brissett is as good for the NFL as any of them, imo. Of course, my hope is that Luck comes back 100%

Someone mentioned Luke Falk on the board. Could be a Keenum type. Dudes that pass for 5 or 6k yds a year obviously have some arm talent. They just arent coming from the schools that get the attention. 

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, masterlock said:

If Luck needs another surgery, then I say we roll with Brissett another year, and let the chips fall where they may. He'll be back the following year, and we'll probably have decent draft position. 

I agree. Brissett is a good backup...and he'll be better after a training camp with the team hes going to play for unlike last year.

I want to use the top picks at other positions.

Rosen might be okay in a dome. I don't have much confidence in any of the rest that I've seen. The wild card is Josh Allen, because that's what I was told by media people. I wouldn't know, but I was wrong on Wentz so I could be wrong on that guy too, but he's not accurate and that's a big part of the game.

27 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I’m taking Josh Allen if we need a QB. Accuracy for him can be fixed, but it’s not as bad a people make it.

I think any of the Top 3 would be good choices. I think Darnold will be really good in a year or two. 

As far as Allen, I honestly have seen very little of him. But I did see a bit of video of him last night. The vid I don't think was HD and veiwed it on phone but Wow, what a arm! His arm strength and velocity remind a bit of Bert Jones. Certainly need to see more on him.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:54 PM, GuitarMD said:

Seeing as how nearly all recent Colts news has been either tragic or infuriating, I would like to posit the following:

- Assuming Andrew's shoulder will need another surgery, which QB would the Colts take in this year's draft?

We have needs at RB O-line & on the Defense Brissett can get us over any hump if indeed we need a QB , I for one think very lil of this conversation .

Based on what we saw in the SB most should realize a fundamentally sound well coached team can indeed win with a back up . So 

We must rebuild this team & it would be premature to start at QB when IMO we need 2  game changer DE's  not to mention our other serious needs QB is not the top priority .

2 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

We have needs at RB O-line & on the Defense Brissett can get us over any hump if indeed we need a QB , I for one think very lil of this conversation .

Based on what we saw in the SB most should realize a fundamentally sound well coached team can indeed win with a back up . So 

We must rebuild this team & it would be premature to start at QB when IMO we need 2  game changer DE's  not to mention our other serious needs QB is not the top priority .

A QB, known as the Most Important Position in All of Sports is not a Top Priority with Luck's health status and career in question???

The reason we're picking 3rd overall is because of less than adequate QB play. Sure Brissett was throw in the fire early and logically should improve this season but I doubt he will progress to a top QB.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion and feel if the Colts don't fully have confidence that Luck will return in 2018 I think they should consider a QB at pick #3. If even only as a insurance policy going forward.

My feeling is see if Luke Falk is available in round 4.  If so, take him.  He would our version of 'Kirk Cousins', in both draft range and QB similarity. He can compete for backup QB, or starter if Luck isn't ready to go by week 1.  But I feel the guy needs to bulk up a little, and learn NFL defenses and game speed before he becomes effective.