Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hypothetically, which QB do we take in the upcoming draft?

GuitarMD

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing hypothetical about it.  Remember what I said back in September...  Everyone thought I was bonkers.  Stay tuned.  I'll refresh for the uninformed:

Mister P

•  

Posted September 23

Ok.  I'll clarify my thinking:

Luck has had a lacerated kidney, broken ribs, ruptured labrum, concussion, multiple beatings.  I believe he went to Irsay and told him he planned to retire.  I feel that Luck, Irsay, Ballard and Pagano are the only four who know the real story and they aren't talking. I think Irsay asked to him to stay on for the good of the team and community (gate receipts, concession jobs, downtown game day businesses, etc.).  Irsay's happy to pay him this year's salary while Luck thinks things through.  I believe Irsay stated earlier that Luck's shoulder is fine and that the trouble was with the four inches between his eyes (thus, retirement thoughts).  Andrew won't address the media because he is to upright and doesn't want to lie to the fan base regarding working out to get healthy, back to quarterbacking.   No person/team would leave their fan base uneasy with questions when the right thing to do would be to let Luck speak.  He doesn't want to; doesn't want to give the impression he plans on playing.  I thought Pagano was lying when he said he hadn't seen Luck throw a football.  I now believe he wasn't lying and he really hasn't seen him throw because he doesn't care to see him throw a football because he doesn't believe he'll be his quarterback going forward. Luck had simple arthroscopy surgery same as Brees.  He's young, he's healed. I think he's simply decided he's moving on in life.  I think in a few more weeks, Luck will go on season-ending PUP (IR).  After the season we'll probably be reading rumors of Lucks intention to retire.  After the Super Bowl, probably early March, the Colts will announce Luck's decision to retire due to health reasons.  Luck will probably marry his fiancee, move to her part of the country on the east coast, and look for a job with an architectural firm.  He probably has over $25M in investments from his rookie, 2016 contract ($22M), and this year's salary/upfront monies. He has plenty of money.  Time for other things in life.

Supposing what I've written is somewhat accurate, all hope may not be lost.  Luck could always change his mind.

As Mr.Monk would say: "I could be wrong now, but I don't think so."

Not a troll. Just a pessimist, wondering if my team will catch a break.

Look at the line in Doyel's column regarding Mort and Luck.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2018/02/06/doyel-josh-mcdaniels-selfish-little-jerk-but-did-colts-indy-favor/304619002/

I hope Andrew heals up great and comes back. But just in case he doesn't are we rolling with Brissett and a second rounder next year? If so, who will be there at pick #36? 

Lauletta had a great Senior Bowl performance...

I'm hoping for a healthy luck but one has too think if he ends up having another surgery that puts him out the 2018 season  that's two years away from football. Odds are he want be nearly the same player. At some point management is going to be forced to make a decision (similar to manning). But let's just hope the recent chatter is fake news. 

9 hours ago, P'Son said:

Nothing hypothetical about it.  Remember what I said back in September...  Everyone thought I was bonkers.  Stay tuned.  I'll refresh for the uninformed:

Mister P

•  

Posted September 23

Luck has had a lacerated kidney, broken ribs, ruptured labrum, concussion, multiple beatings.  I believe he went to Irsay and told him he planned to retire.  I feel that Luck, Irsay, Ballard and Pagano are the only four who know the real story and they aren't talking. I think Irsay asked to him to stay on for the good of the team and community (gate receipts, concession jobs, downtown game day businesses, etc.).  Irsay's happy to pay him this year's salary while Luck thinks things through.  I believe Irsay stated earlier that Luck's shoulder is fine and that the trouble was with the four inches between his eyes (thus, retirement thoughts).  Andrew won't address the media because he is to upright and doesn't want to lie to the fan base regarding working out to get healthy, back to quarterbacking.   No person/team would leave their fan base uneasy with questions when the right thing to do would be to let Luck speak.  He doesn't want to; doesn't want to give the impression he plans on playing.  I thought Pagano was lying when he said he hadn't seen Luck throw a football.  I now believe he wasn't lying and he really hasn't seen him throw because he doesn't care to see him throw a football because he doesn't believe he'll be his quarterback going forward. Luck had simple arthroscopy surgery same as Brees.  He's young, he's healed. I think he's simply decided he's moving on in life.  I think in a few more weeks, Luck will go on season-ending PUP (IR).  After the season we'll probably be reading rumors of Lucks intention to retire.  After the Super Bowl, probably early March, the Colts will announce Luck's decision to retire due to health reasons.  Luck will probably marry his fiancee, move to her part of the country on the east coast, and look for a job with an architectural firm.  He probably has over $25M in investments from his rookie, 2016 contract ($22M), and this year's salary/upfront monies. He has plenty of money.  Time for other things in life.

Supposing what I've written is somewhat accurate, all hope may not be lost.  Luck could always change his mind.

Im starting to think all of this may be true after reading a report this morning that the Docs are concerned with his shoulder and feel he may need another surgery. I think if he has to go through another surgery, he might very well just retire. Sad thing is, it may or may not be before the draft which would suck if it is after the draft. Because if he does it before the draft it gives the Colts and who ever the new head coach will be plenty of options. Should the colts draft a QB in the first round? get Josh Allen? or wait until the 2nd or 3rd round and go after Richmond QB Kyle Lauletta ? or ride another year with Brissett and draft a QB next year?   

17 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If we draft a QB, I don't want to wait in 2nd. Rd.to do so. Your trying to get a potential franchise qb that may be needed to replace one. So you decide who you want, Rosen, Darnold, Allen and you get him. Even if you have to trade up to do so.

well it would take a lot to move up to get Darnold or Rosen, but I think Allen is the best QB of the three. he would be the one id go get, if I were to draft a QB in the first round. 

7 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

Im starting to think all of this may be true after reading a report this morning that the Docs are concerned with his shoulder and feel he may need another surgery. I think if he has to go through another surgery, he might very well just retire. Sad thing is, it may or may not be before the draft which would suck if it is after the draft. Because if he does it before the draft it gives the Colts and who ever the new head coach will be plenty of options. Should the colts draft a QB in the first round? get Josh Allen? or wait until the 2nd or 3rd round and go after Richmond QB Kyle Lauletta ? or ride another year with Brissett and draft a QB next year?   

Source on the luck report?

I think at some point, you have to hedge your bet the way our QB situation looks. I don't like the sound of drafting another QB either but reality is we might be smart to do so. If luck comes back healthy and depending on how he performs, we'll have options of trading one of our qbs for a high pick next year. I would love to be sitting here with a healthy luck and the 3rd pick in the draft knowing I could fill a huge hole on the roster (Chubb, Barkley, Nelson etc) but this is simply not the case. The most glaring hole on the team might end up being the quarterback position with all the unknowns. Other option would to be bring in riech and get foles somehow for 1 yr insurance. 

42 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

I think at some point, you have to hedge your bet the way our QB situation looks. I don't like the sound of drafting another QB either but reality is we might be smart to do so. If luck comes back healthy and depending on how he performs, we'll have options of trading one of our qbs for a high pick next year. I would love to be sitting here with a healthy luck and the 3rd pick in the draft knowing I could fill a huge hole on the roster (Chubb, Barkley, Nelson etc) but this is simply not the case. The most glaring hole on the team might end up being the quarterback position with all the unknowns. Other option would to be bring in riech and get foles somehow for 1 yr insurance. 

The Colts' bet is already hedged.  Brissett is a below-average starter with solid-average potential.  He'll do until we can sort out some of our other issues.

Assuming the Colts don't get Luck back, it's pretty obvious that they aren't a quarterback away from doing anytthing meaningful and can take their time to rebuild.  That being the case I don't think it's in the cards at all for the Colts to select a quarterback in the draft.  Brissett and an emergency bacup, and spend our draft on improving the offensive and defensive lines.  Once those are stabilized, draft a high profile guy to compete with Brissett. 

Taking a high profile QB when we're unable to protect them will just waste their career and/or lead to the same destruction of that QB that has taken place with Luck anyway.  We broke Luck through not protecting him.  Repeating that mistake again without leaning any lessons from it would be rather stupid.

So your telling me if darnold or Rosen are there you wouldn't entertain the thought of drafting either?? Some of our roster deficiencies will be filled in FA. If we hire an offensive minded coach you have to like the idea of bringing in a top QB prospect to groom under brissett for a year, while talent is acquired/developed. Unless people see brissett as a franchise QB. Which I don't. I think best case he's a good backup that alleviates some issues while we groom our future QB. Odds are we'll be picking top 10 for a few more years at least you'd have the most valuable position figured out while everything else takes shape. If Ballard does go the route of not taking a QB at 3, I think we should trade back as the uncertainty of luck makes our pick very valuable if either top two qbs are available.

As much as I hate to agree with DD he said on his radio show a couple days ago that Brissette with his experience and now 2nd year for the colts will be light years ahead of any QB's available in the draft this year. He seems to think he has as much future potential as the crop of rookie QBs coming in.

On 2/7/2018 at 8:14 AM, Virtuoso80 said:

Source on the luck report?

well source doesnt matter anymore if what ballard said in the press conference yesterday is true. because as he stated, he talked to luck and his doctors and he is still on track to start throwing and no surgery is needed. The article i read was more than likely something to stir up Colts fans. But I will stick with what Ballard said. 

I roll with Brissett....but if I'm worried about qb I trade back...get a future first for next year. This way I still get a high pick this year and play it out and would have two first rd picks next year to get a qb if that is what we have to do. If Luck is done we likely are picking fairly high again next year anyways.  If you make me take a qb I'll wait til day 2 and take Jackson. That way I hedge my bets and get the best athlete in the draft...but I still wouldn't do that in real life. I'll wait to see how the combines and pro days shake out but I think Josh Allen has a great shot to be the first qb off the board. His measurables are just off the chart...if you have a strong qb coach or coordinator/hc in the house to develop one...I'd go that route. I think with some fine tuning he has a higher upside then Darnold or Rosen. Still....a guy like Jackson with his mobility...it's intriguing...and worse case scenario you throw him out to wr.

On 2/6/2018 at 8:02 PM, P'Son said:

Mister P

•  

Posted September 23

You're still bonkers.

Nothing has changed.

You can rest comfortably!       :thmup:

On 2/7/2018 at 9:58 AM, George Peterson said:

The Colts' bet is already hedged.  Brissett is a below-average starter with solid-average potential.  He'll do until we can sort out some of our other issues.

Assuming the Colts don't get Luck back, it's pretty obvious that they aren't a quarterback away from doing anytthing meaningful and can take their time to rebuild.  That being the case I don't think it's in the cards at all for the Colts to select a quarterback in the draft.  Brissett and an emergency bacup, and spend our draft on improving the offensive and defensive lines.  Once those are stabilized, draft a high profile guy to compete with Brissett. 

Taking a high profile QB when we're unable to protect them will just waste their career and/or lead to the same destruction of that QB that has taken place with Luck anyway.  We broke Luck through not protecting him.  Repeating that mistake again without leaning any lessons from it would be rather stupid.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:54 PM, GuitarMD said:

Seeing as how nearly all recent Colts news has been either tragic or infuriating, I would like to posit the following:

- Assuming Andrew's shoulder will need another surgery, which QB would the Colts take in this year's draft?

Late rounder

On 2/8/2018 at 12:24 PM, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

Where is your "high profile" guy going to come from?  Do you really expect this team to draft #3 again?  Anyone intending to draft a QB would do so with a #3 pick rather than wait and hope for a Round 3 Russell Wilson.  Doing it that way may take 20 years and cost millions of lives.  Do it now.  Coach gets to decide when to play him.  If he's up for it like Trubisky and Watson, play him.  Rodgers and Wentz didn't finish the year with their good offensive lines.  There are plenty of other good draft picks -- our second rounder is almost a first rounder -- and free agents to fill out the squad, which already has a lot of talent.  I don't want to sign a Cousins, a Smith or heaven forbid, a Kizer!  I want a real QB.  Without one, good luck beating out the Titans.  Also, you are giving both conference rivals, the Broncos (#5) and Jets (#6), their QBs of the future!  Sometimes you have to take Charles Nelson Reilly for the block.  If we'd had another, say, near Andrew Luck on the roster instead of so-so Brissett, how many more games would we have won this year?  How many more with any of the rookie offensive linemen?

On 2/7/2018 at 9:08 AM, Deadpool said:

well it would take a lot to move up to get Darnold or Rosen, but I think Allen is the best QB of the three. he would be the one id go get, if I were to draft a QB in the first round. 

I have watched plenty of Darnold and he is not what we want. Not saying complete trash but very overrated. History is also against him coming from USC. My choice for a later round qb would be Rudolph from OK St. 

On 2/7/2018 at 8:49 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If we draft a QB, I don't want to wait in 2nd. Rd.to do so. Your trying to get a potential franchise qb that may be needed to replace one. So you decide who you want, Rosen, Darnold, Allen and you get him. Even if you have to trade up to do so.

Please do more homework/research beyond what McShay and others at espn say. Darnold wasnt and isnt as good as Leinert and Butt fumble were at USC. Rosen imo will be bust worthy. Allen is not Wentz as far as i can tell, but maybe with right coaching. Mayfield, well, toss up between Brees/Manziel as far as potential. My choice is Rudolph from OK St. Just my opinion of course.

I doubt they do,  They seem to think Luck will be back.  If he’s not they will go with Brissett again and see if he develops and if not be in position to draft a QB again.  If they draft a QB high and Luck does come back now what do they do?  Trading Luck isn’t an option because of the cap hit and trading a guy you just took high is a waste of a pick.  

They have other needs that need to be filled and filling those needs might also help the Colts build a team that doesn’t need to be so dependent on the QB.  

Like it or or not I expect the Colts to stand pat with Luck and Brissett unless they know,for a fact Luck is done.