Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quenton Nelson or Minkah Fitzpatrick

Quenton Nelson or Minkah Fitzpatrick?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Quenton Nelson or Minkah Fitzpatrick

• Quenton Nelson
    • Minkah Fitzpatrick

I would lean more towards Nelson, I think, if only because I'm not yet sold on Minkah at outside corner a la Jalen Ramsay.  If we're confident he could be a shutdown CB1 then I could get behind that... but right now that doesn't seem to be the thought and Nelson is just a flat out monster.

4 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

because I'm not yet sold on Minkah at outside corner a la Jalen Ramsay.

People weren't sold on Jalen Ramsey playing outside corner when he came out, either. He was looked at as a safety/corner hybrid, who had a lot of work to do. He still has a lot of work to do, IMO, but he's doing a good job in that scheme. 

Fitzpatrick is probably a more fluid athlete, while Ramsey was more physically dominant and a better tackler. I'm not done with Fitzpatrick yet, but I kind of think he has more potential as a corner than Ramsey, specifically because I think he can play inside and outside. He also might run a 4.3 40 at the Combine...

Just now, Superman said:

Edmunds? I started watching him the other day. His physical ability is outstanding. Not sure about his best position...

YEAH probably lol. I was just reading about him for the first time and wanted to hear thoughts from those that may have watched him

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

People weren't sold on Jalen Ramsey playing outside corner when he came out, either. He was looked at as a safety/corner hybrid, who had a lot of work to do. He still has a lot of work to do, IMO, but he's doing a good job in that scheme. 

Fitzpatrick is probably a more fluid athlete, while Ramsey was more physically dominant and a better tackler. I'm not done with Fitzpatrick yet, but I kind of think he has more potential as a corner than Ramsey, specifically because I think he can play inside and outside. He also might run a 4.3 40 at the Combine...

I look forward to the combine and reading some detailed write ups on him to get a better idea. Like I said, if we think he can be a shutdown CB, I'll take that over a G all day. Since I don't know that, I have to fall back on the "safer" pick of the two, while factoring in need as well.

If he does hit that Jalen level and we got him, holy cow, that secondary could jump to one of the top units in the league.

12 minutes ago, J@son said:

Anyone giving consideration to Tremaine Edward's Edmunds in this area? 

i think he could make a good case for himself during the combine. 

Realistically, he could enter the combine as an off-ball linebacker and leave the combine as an Edge rusher. That could move him way up the boards. 

I currently have him ranked 9th overall, so in my mind, he is already in the conversation. 

7 minutes ago, J@son said:

Anyone giving consideration to Tremaine Edward's in this area? 

It would be hard not to. Him, Nelson, Barkley, and Chubb have the 4 highest grades according to NFL.com draft profiles. 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Edmunds? I started watching him the other day. His physical ability is outstanding. Not sure about his best position...

Take him and find a way to clone him haha. I would not be hesitant to plant him in the middle of our defense for the next 10+ years.

13 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Just curious, but what about Fitzpatrick scares you?

He just strikes me as one of those guys who is going to struggle with the jump. I’m not saying he’s had an easy go of it, but he’s entering a whole new world and I just see him struggling to play at the same level. 

I don’t think he’ll be a bust by any means, but i don’t know if he’ll ever truly be a #1, or even a good #2

24 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

It would be hard not to. Him, Nelson, Barkley, and Chubb have the 4 highest grades according to NFL.com draft profiles. 

Take him and find a way to clone him haha. I would not be hesitant to plant him in the middle of our defense for the next 10+ years.

at MLB he would be unfair, yes i’m en love w Edmunds 

I would have to lean Nelson, really only because he is an absolute stud and he fills a need. I do think Fitzpatrick is a very good player that will be great as well. Either one I would not be upset about at all. 

I do like Edmunds a lot as well. He has all the physical talent in the world and he does well in areas that we will ask him to perform in (at the Mike most likely). I've said it before, but he does struggle a bit with the option plays and with the RPO becoming bigger in offenses, that is really my only deep concern with him. All three players would be a great addition for our team!

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

He just strikes me as one of those guys who is going to struggle with the jump. I’m not saying he’s had an easy go of it, but he’s entering a whole new world and I just see him struggling to play at the same level. 

I don’t think he’ll be a bust by any means, but i don’t know if he’ll ever truly be a #1, or even a good #2

I don't know what his combine numbers will be, but I will say that he seems like a smart player and a leader.  You may be right though, you never really can be sure. 

42 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I don't know what his combine numbers will be, but I will say that he seems like a smart player and a leader.  You may be right though, you never really can be sure. 

I’m sure his combine stats will be impressive. But it’s kind of like the case of TJ Green. The guy has the physicals to make a big impact, yet, well, it’s just wide of the mark. 

Nelson.  We are not hurting in the secondary nearly as much as we are hurting at OL.

On top of that if Luck is comming back we can ill afford to have him take another big injury behind a crappy offensive line.  

We've been diddling around with the OL for too long.  We've been at the top of the league in sacks and QB hits for too long.  

On top of this from my understanding Fitzpatrick projects better as a safety and we're actually pretty good there.  

7 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Nelson.  We are not hurting in the secondary nearly as much as we are hurting at OL.

On top of that if Luck is comming back we can ill afford to have him take another big injury behind a crappy offensive line.  

We've been diddling around with the OL for too long.  We've been at the top of the league in sacks and QB hits for too long.  

On top of this from my understanding Fitzpatrick projects better as a safety and we're actually pretty good there.  

Having 3 safeties, Hooker, Fitzpatrick, and Farley on the field at the same time intrigues me.

On 2/6/2018 at 4:08 PM, Superman said:

Finally someone who is actually looking at the player.

Imo the one question we have for Minkah is can his hips dip and turn to play outside corner given how big he is. Literally the only question I have on him right now. And that will be answered in the combine.

I don't understand where this notion of Minkah being no where close to the level Ramsey was coming out.  It makes absolutely no sense.

On 2/6/2018 at 4:11 PM, J@son said:

Anyone giving consideration to Tremaine Edward's in this area? 

If I was a GM he'd be a top 3 prospect on my board with a very heavy consideration for best player.  He's not a player that will be controlled by down and distance in the NFL. His best suited position IMO is ILB but he can easily flex to and edge rusher/Blitzer on 3rd down packages.

Very rarely do you find this combo of speed and size plus instinct and mental ability to play linebacker.  

My opinion of course.

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

I might lean towards Davenport.....but between those two it would be hard choice.....does Minkah test out as a corner or safety. If the latter than I take Nelson...but if he proves he can handle corner with his testing etc...its a no brainer.

Why Davenport?  Why spend a pick on a player not ready to play in the NFL when there are 4 or 5 other players on the board that not only have blue chip measurables but also production and show NFL readiness?